• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Dec NBA Season lOT2l It Wasn't Me, It Was Uncle Drew

Career average:
Kevin Durant: TS% 58.6 ORating 113 DRating 106
Carmelo Anthony: TS% 54.6 ORating 108 DRating 107
Bernard King: TS% 56.1 ORating 108 DRating 107

Bernard King 2.0 Indeed.

Oh, and don't even bring up this season, the gap between the 2 is even greater.

lol I'm no Melo homer and I did say I would take KD. I just think that their individual skills are not far off from each other it's more of their decision making and efficiency separating the two

not that the last two I listed aren't important, obviously they are which separates KD and him. but I'm talking strictly skills here

at the end of the day neither of them have lebron's overall game and I AM OKAY WITH THAT

I don't see it. Stylistically, Durant plays way more off-ball than Melo ever has. Durant also looks for teammates off of a pnr whereas Melo is looking to only score. Melo is actually a decent interior passer which Durant really hasn't gotten down but is much better on the perimeter or on the drive before really getting into the paint.

Melo is having a career shooting year so far from 3. I expect a regression to the mean to come.

giri

I don't see it. Stylistically, Durant plays way more off-ball than Melo ever has. Durant also looks for teammates off of a pnr whereas Melo is looking to only score. Melo is actually a decent interior passer which Durant really hasn't gotten down but is much better on the perimeter or on the drive before really getting into the paint.

Melo is having a career shooting year so far from 3. I expect a regression to the mean to come.

Eh, i'm a known Melo Homer, but that system they run... There really isn't many times he should be passing out, and it's not really set up for him to do so.

A lot of the time when the ball gets into his hands... other guys stop moving. I'm not sure if thats on him because they know he won't pass... or on woodson for not keeping stuff moving. A large dose of both, i'd say.

Melo's been playing well this year, and his D is better. Mainly cause he's actually trying, not that he's some defensive monster.

He's rarely the ball handler on PnR's, that I've ever noticed anyway, so that's an odd comparison.

The main knock I've had on him this year is his fg%... but while he's been missing the initial shot, it seems he's been getting a 2nd/3rd attempt on the shot near the rim. So he seems to be scoring on the same number of "possessions".

That's what I've taken away from watching their games. I haven't really spent much time looking at his stats this year, so they may tell a different story... He's beasting, and playing well overall.

The main thing he needs to get better at is controlling his emotions, and just playing through bad refereeing. Every team gets it for stretches, but he needs to set the tone for guys like Tyson and JR that they have to just shut up, and get on with playing. He does the complete opposite. And the Knicks seem to be picking up a lot of techs because of it.

giri

I say all that, and... looking at his FG%... it's improved from the start of the year. IIRC he had a really bad start to the year FG% wise... like looooooooow .400's

Or maybe i'm just thinking of Rudy Gay... :(

I'm comparing their style of play throughout their careers. I don't think KD and Melo are stylistically the same and their skills don't line up much.

Ph33nix basically says Durant is Melo (at least on O), just a bit more efficient. I just don't see it. They may score about the same, but not the same way.

And the fact that melo uses the PnR a lot less than Durant is part of my argument, but I was too lazy to say it.

My post wasn't a knock on Melo, just a comparison of the two players and how they play. Melo's having a career year so far. Don't think anyone can dispute that.

giri

I'm comparing their style of play throughout their careers. I don't think KD and Melo are stylistically the same and their skills don't line up much.

Ph33nix basically says Durant is Melo (at least on O), just a bit more efficient. I just don't see it. They may score about the same, but not the same way.

And the fact that melo uses the PnR a lot less than Durant is part of my argument, but I was too lazy to say it.

My post wasn't a knock on Melo, just a comparison of the two players and how they play. Melo's having a career year so far. Don't think anyone can dispute that.

Eh, they are very similar but where Durant would use the PnR, Melo goes into the post.

I get the comparison, there's not a heck of a lot between them.

I'd pick KD as my player to start a franchise around though.

I believe the winning percentage of those teams is somewhere south of .400, last I checked. It's impressive to stay motivated when facing cannon fodder, but I don't think this buys them contender status, like some are giving them.

Anyway, the schedule isn't their fault. If they sustain this performance when the schedule gets tough again, then I'll give them their props. Not like that matters to them, but I'm just stating this now so I can say I told you so later. PEACE.

you still salty over that game where they pushed Miami's shit in and put Wade and Ray Ray in their highlight reels.

MIN OffRtg DefRtg NetRtg +/-
Williams on 996 103.3 106.7 -3.4 -37
Williams off 362 102.0 96.3 +5.7 +41
Total 1,359 102.9 104.0 -1.1 +4

^ Deron Williams ratings, not sure how accurate, but didn't know shit was THAT bad.

That clipper win streak is impressive only because of the fact that they seem so focused and take care of business. The schedule strength was/is laughable though.

That being said, they are 4-1 against contenders(MEM,SA,MIA,OKC) and have a great record against decent teams. They are legit as anyone in the West right now.

Style wise they are different, skill wise (When the basketball is in their hands, not the other stuff) is where I think they're close

It's pretty clear that decision making is something KD has gotten better at throughout his career, and Melo's gotten a bit better. But I remember rookie and sophomore KD, he was just a young inefficient chucker like all others

Physically they're both beasts, just different kinds

That clipper win streak is impressive only because of the fact that they seem so focused and take care of business. The schedule strength was/is laughable though.

That being said, they are 4-1 against contenders(MEM,SA,MIA,OKC) and have a great record against decent teams. They are legit as anyone in the West right now.

15 straight wins is no joke. Too bad it doesn't count for shit in the long run lol

giri

The win streak is impressive.... But before this people were talking trades and firing coaches....

So... take it all with a grain of salt.

Their whole season could derail so easily.

Clips are good but they don't have anyone that can't really be stopped on offense. They have a lot of very good offensive players, but you need unstoppable guys to chip most of the time.

I don't think they beat the Thunder in a series.

Heat are repeating anyway. And I can't even be mad about it anymore. I've liked the way they place since they've gone small. I've always been a fan of teams that use the stretch 4 for some reason.

How much better, if at all, would the Lakers be if they traded Pau for Dirk? Assuming that Dirk and Cuban can't get the Mavs back in playoff contention, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them go for a rebuild.

giri

How much better, if at all, would the Lakers be if they traded Pau for Dirk? Assuming that Dirk and Cuban can't get the Mavs back in playoff contention, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them go for a rebuild.

Better question, why trade for pau if you're going for a rebuild?

Their contracts expire at the same time, and Dirk will probably re-sign for cheap to hang around.

And actually be healthy.

And the lakers don't need another guy who is used to getting a lot of shots.

It was the hornets

And they were pretty embarrassing losses.

Wasn't just GAF, though, believe most media outlets ran "will cp3 re-sign?" and "VDN in the hot seat" articles.
Shit happens. But yeah I don't doubt the media's power to attention seek/overreact. Still pretty laughable.

More offense isn't going to help. It's all going to depend on if Dwight can look like himself again.

Pkaz01

This year? They've been one of the hottest teams since the jump.

like i said a couple pages back look at the grizzlies. They were killing everyone and now they are losing to Phili at home.

No doubt the clippers will be at the top of the west but they still haven't proven themselves in the playoffs.

giri

like i said a couple pages back look at the grizzlies. They were killing everyone and now they are losing to Phili at home.

No doubt the clippers will be at the top of the west but they still haven't proven themselves in the playoffs.

No rudy didn't help, and since conley got injured, their O has taken a big hit.

KingGondo

Banned
I'm still confident OKC could beat the Clips with HCA, and I think the Spurs can beat them too.

Western Conference playoffs will be fun.

That's the same story for every contender in the west, save OKC who made a pretty big move this offseason. Like i said, they're as legit as anybody out west.

A Dirk/Nash reunion is the only reason I brought it up. I would love to see that happen, although it doesn't make sense from Dallas' perspective.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Eh, they are very similar but where Durant would use the PnR, Melo goes into the post.

I get the comparison, there's not a heck of a lot between them.

I'd pick KD as my player to start a franchise around though.

You'd pick the guy who's too pussy to speak up when someone is a detriment to the team?

KD is a terrible leader.

diehard

Fleer
You'd pick the guy who's too pussy to speak up when someone is a detriment to the team?

KD is a terrible leader.

KD has 5 series wins in 3 trips to the playoffs.

Melo has 2 wins in 9 trips.

This discussion needs to stop, next thing people will be saying Melo is better than Malone.

I don't think so. Not only is okc coming up, but wade, bosh and even lebron are getting older. Lebron is one knee injury away from that team becoming irrelevant. I hate to say it, but the way he plays, his probably overdue for one.

lebron never gets injured and bosh will be good for more years to come. They can find a replacement for wade later on.

jman2050

No one in the East is gonna do jack shit against the Heat in the playoffs, so the only hope to prevent a 4peat is whatever random west team shows up in a given year.

linsivvi

No one in the East is gonna do jack shit against the Heat in the playoffs, so the only hope to prevent a 4peat is whatever random west team shows up in a given year.

It's tough. If healthy the Heat will pretty much have a 2-round bye plus a warm up round. The Western team will be beaten up and tired when they reach the final.

Durant's a better defender and passer as well as a significantly better finisher and shooter while being more durable (Melo is quietly pretty injury-prone while Durant never gets hurt) and Durant is far more efficient despite scoring more.

I don't think there's really a way to say that they're close in terms of player quality unless you view Melo's ability to show up out of shape and tank games until his coach gets fired or until he gets traded as a plus.

I wish the Bulls had a "money is no object" approach to winning like other big market teams, it would make the EC playoffs alot more interesting. cant believe they just gutted the bench they had

Top Bottom