• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Finals |OT| Good Job, Good Effort

Panzon

I really can't believe I'm so pumped for these finals. Always been a big Durant fan but.. gosh can't even explain the feeling

There's been some young guys who've been able to win their first Finals appearance (Magic Johnson being one of them), but I just wonder if Durant and co. are ready now. Or will they need another go around before they chip.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
OZAAU.jpg

This might be the only way I favor the Heat. Clearly the superior wrestling program.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
did Magic just give a Hulk 'wooo' after saying the key for the Heat winning was 30-40 points from LBJ?

lol

it's almost as if they're reading these posts and thinking how much further into character they can go.

Gigglepoo

There's been some young guys who've been able to win their first Finals appearance (Magic Johnson being one of them), but I just wonder if Durant and co. are ready now. Or will they need another go around before they chip.

Magic, Jordan, Hakeem, Duncan, Kobe, Wade...

I still think the Heat win, though.

Lebron has a 19.5 ppg Finals average??? LOLOLOLOL

That's about 6-10 points below his normal average.

I imagine he'll get closer to his average this time around because the Thunder is so young and they're not exactly a defensive powerhouse.

pilonv1

http://deadspin.com/5917533/bristol...st-week-every-other-sport-shared-130?tag=espn

TIME DEVOTED TO INDIVIDUAL SPORTS
NBA: 220.5 minutes (57.1%) (last week: 44.2%)
MLB: 64.25 (16.7%) (last week: 19.7%)

MOST-COVERED TEAMS BY SPORT
Miami Heat (NBA): 120 minutes (31.1%)
Los Angeles Kings (NHL): 19 (4.9%)
New York Mets (MLB): 18.5 (4.8%)
Jacksonville Jaguars (NFL): 2 (0.5%)

All your Heat are belong to us: Keep in mind that the Heat only won a single game (game 6) in the week covered by our data. So to hear SportsCenter tell it, the Celtics weren't winning—the Heat were choking. That shouldn't be surprising. What was an all-time great seven-game series rich in storylines and legacies and possibilities was reduced to a weeklong narrative binge. It was ESPN at its worst, with postgame coverage that's best described as First Take after dark.

The guys on NBA Countdown flip-flopped on a nightly basis, going from the initial extreme of the Heat winning a short series, to raising concerns about whether LeBron has the clutch gene, to figuring out what the team could get in return for Chris Bosh once he was traded (they were adamant he would be gone if they lost in this series). ESPN clings to simple and digestible narratives because they don't think the average viewer is smart enough to comprehend that great players can miss, great teams can lose, and basketball can be a very random sort of game. Once an initial storyline doesn't work, another one is trotted out, even if it's just as shortsighted.

There were two solid hours of this over the last week. Outside of a few rational members of the Worldwide Leader (Tim Legler was a voice of reason), it was a 120-minute reminder that SportsCenter is a vehicle for ESPN promotion, not a news program.

effzee

Prediction time:

I'd love to see the Heat win the series and LBJ get his ring but I just don't see it.

In fact I think the Thunder are going to win in 5, starting with a win tonight.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I can't stand JB. This guy hates the Heat so much. You can see the hatred oozing out of his slimy pores.

Gigglepoo

Wat?

I said young guys winning their first championship. Jordan and Kakeem weren't exactly young when they won their first. I'd say Duncan, Kobe, and Wade are in that group though.

Don't forget Kareem! I think he won in his second year. Maybe Bird? It's certainly not a rare occurence.

Touch

I don't want either team to win. but since I have no choice I'm pulling for OKC because Lebrons tears will be glorious.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
both Deadspin and Grantland have posted some great articles of late blasting the lazy, reductive narratives that so many writers/'journalists' fall back on when writing about these playoffs. breath of fresh air, they were. i especially liked reading of First Take's declining month-to-month numbers.

it's a shame that Vahagn lacked the clutch gene to make it to the Finals. he was on fire the earlier rounds, just came up short when it mattered the most.

Top Bottom