• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Mar |OT2| The Manhattan Project Part II: Blow It All Up, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much on point. I mentioned the McBobs Murphy thing earlier and Morris was a joke. We lost some of those games that Blake was out simply because we had to play Morris' horrible ass.

Backcourt rotation should be Sessions 38minutes / Blake 10 and then Glock backing up Kobe.

I loved that Phil never played Bynum in the end of the game and always used the same rotations for the most part. Mike Brown is like SVG in that he's the master of panic

This was one of Phil's faults. He never played offense-defense with Bynum and Pau. Made no fucking sense. Bynum is by far the better defender than Pau and even games where Pau was getting shit on, Bynum would stay on the bench on a purely defensive possession.

There were a few games where Bynum closed, however. Like 3 a season, lol.

I tried to warn Lakers fans about Mike Brown and his incompetent rotations. To be fair, it's not entirely his fault. He doesn't have a decent bench to work with whatsoever. In fact, it might benefit the Lakers if he has one of the starters come in off the bench. You know, just to add some talent to the second unit.

He was decent early on, even though we were struggling. Now he's doing completely illogical thing and the shortened rotation/linenup he runs out there is a mess.

Emwitus

This was one of Phil's faults. He never played offense-defense with Bynum and Pau. Made no fucking sense. Bynum is by far the better defender than Pau and even games where Pau was getting shit on, Bynum would stay on the bench on a purely defensive possession.

I think phil was afraid of the pick and roll where they switch man's. It's really been lakers achilles heel. Just have your guy screen your defender on offense, and walla!! It's a big man vs point gaurd one on one. Happened ALOT this season resulting in crazy penetration late in the clock.

h3ro

7gONo.jpg

SHUMPSDAGOD

I think phil was afraid of the pick and roll where they switch man's. It's really been lakers achilles heel. Just have your guy screen your defender on offense, and walla!! It's a big man vs point gaurd one on one. Happened ALOT this season resulting in crazy penetration late in the clock.

Yeah, and Pau was always worse at PnR D than Bynum. Still is. Pau is a decent man and help defender, but he's atrocious in PnR.

Bynum usually forces a long shot where Pau gives up the layup.

Drove me nuts how he wouldn't put Bynum in there at the end of a game when a defensive stop was needed (not counting a 3).

Alrix

Fucking lol at that carmelo slow-mo face just now. wow that was funny looking. looked like he was gonna breathe fire at the dude.

Emwitus

Yeah, and Pau was always worse at PnR D than Bynum. Still is. Pau is a decent man and help defender, but he's atrocious in PnR.

Bynum usually forces a long shot where Pau gives up the layup.

Drove me nuts how he wouldn't put Bynum in there at the end of a game when a defensive stop was needed (not counting a 3).

True True. But here you have a loss either way. Keep bynum in and risk him being a liability at the foul line(just incase they get a defensive rebound) or keep pau with the lesser efficient defence but better shooting at the foul line...
Also, remember bynum was still recurpurating from his knee injuries and therefore was very quick on his rotation on the pnr. You don't remember how barea and cp3 killed him last season? Especially cp3.

True True. But here you have a loss either way. Keep bynum in and risk him being a liability at the foul line or keep pau with the lesser efficient defence but better shooting at the foul line...

Or you call timeout and sub Pau in? Like most teams?

Another thing Phil rarely did, except game 7 vs Boston, was sub guys like Sasha in for FTs. Left Odom out there to clank.

Vahagn

I think it's safe to say that Phil Jackson genuinely believed that it was far more important that the lakers ran the offense effectively than that they played defense slightly better. And Pau was a much better offensive option than Bynum during our 3 finals trips. I'm sure in his heart of hearts Phil felt that as long as the team ran his offense and played decent defense they would be unbeatable.

While I enjoyed watching the Lakers dominate people defensively over the first couple weeks of this season...I miss the feeling that we can't be shut down or stopped in the fourth quarter...which is how I felt with Phil and the triangle.

dabig2

Luol Deng needs to go be a family man until the first game of the playoffs. Dude has not looked right. Thibs needs to give him rest.

Emwitus

Or you call timeout and sub Pau in? Like most teams?

Another thing Phil rarely did, except game 7 vs Boston, was sub guys like Sasha in for FTs. Left Odom out there to clank.

True again. But like i said above bynum still hadn't fully recovered and wasn't as effective on defense as he is this season.

good win for the knicks despite how awful they played

tyson won this game for us, shump with that D and some unexpected triples

glad melo didnt choke on FTs

I think it's safe to say that Phil Jackson genuinely believed that it was far more important that the lakers ran the offense effectively than that they played defense slightly better. And Pau was a much better offensive option than Bynum during our 3 finals trips. I'm sure in his heart of hearts Phil felt that as long as the team ran his offense and played decent defense they would be unbeatable.

While I enjoyed watching the Lakers dominate people defensively over the first couple weeks of this season...I miss the feeling that we can't be shut down or stopped in the fourth quarter...which is how I felt with Phil and the triangle.

To be fair, I did not feel the offense couldn't be shut down last year even with Phil and the triangle. Largely due to Pau struggling after his hot start, Fisher, the bench, and Ron Ron.

Emwitus

Chicago loosing, miami lost, Boston wins, Knicks win(Booo lol)..........Almost makes up for yesterday's laker's loss .....almost.

BUT

If the clippers loose too, i'm pretty sure it's sign.

I don't think you understand what I'm talking about.

Up 2 with 15 seconds to go, Phil would play Pau over Bynum. Tie game 15 seconds left, Pau over Bynum. With the other team in possession of the rock. made no fucking sense. I'm not saying to play Drew on offense. You play D. Rebound the ball and call timeout if need be. You know, like most teams in the NBA do.

I'm not talking about the last 3-4 minutes of a game. I am talking about offense-defense decisions.

True again. But like i said above bynum still hadn't fully recovered and wasn't as effective on defense as he is this season.

No. Did you miss the 2nd half of that season?

Vahagn

To be fair, I did not feel the offense couldn't be shut down last year even with Phil and the triangle. Largely due to Pau struggling after his hot start, Fisher, the bench, and Ron Ron.

Yea...but I have, and will continue, to chalk that up to fatigue and off court issues. Teams don't make 4 straight finals appearances often. Only Boston has done it before. The Lakers tried in 2003 and in 2011 and failed both times...to the eventual champion. No shame in that.

A side product of 3 straight finals trips + olympic duty was that Kobe got to the point that he couldn't practice. You can't run an offense effectively when your best player is missing practice and at times they didn't even have enough guys in practice to run a scrimmage (i.e. have defenders against the offense) so they just did walk throughs in practice with like 8 guys while Kobe/Fish/Useless Rookies / Injured players just sat.

Not an excuse, but I don't think last year's travesty was any indication that the Triangle offense isn't effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom