• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Mar |OT2| The Manhattan Project Part II: Blow It All Up, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

h3ro

I don't understand the constant harping on the fact Amare's contract is uninsured. You guys sure do care a lot about Dolan's finances. I'm continually seeing it added on to posts as if it ads to the severity of the issue, which it doesn't.

An uninsured contract just means that instead of some Insurance company paying out the remainder of the contact, the party themselves, in this case, the knicks, would have to pay out.

How does that change anything from our point of view? Knicks will still spend as much as they can, they aren't going to hamstrung financially secondary to having to make payments on his contract. Cap issues, etc. will have to be rectified depending on whether he's deemed to be medically unfit to play.

The issue more so for me is whether he goes under the knife or not. In a sport like basketball, coming back from any sort of fusion/disk replacement/spacing procedure is asking a lot of the athlete and surgeon. I really hope he heals well and can come back at some point next year. I think him being out for the remainder of this season, based on some of the medical information available right now, is a given.

KingGondo

Banned
I don't understand the constant harping on the fact Amare's contract is uninsured. You guys sure do care a lot about Dolan's finances. I'm continually seeing it added on to posts as if it ads to the severity of the issue, which it doesn't.
It's simply an indication of Dolan's ineptitude, and he's fun to laugh at.

Out of all the guys in the league whose contracts you'd want to insure, Amar'e would have to be easily in the top 3 along with Oden and Roy (and that's before the bulging disc issue). The fact that they didn't simply goes to show how much of a joke the front office leadership of the organization is.

If I were a Knicks fan, I would be pissed that my owner has botched the number of chances they had to become a real contender over the last couple of years. First with LeBron, secondly with the atrocious Melo trade, and then hinging all of your hopes on Amar'e Stoudemire's health and paying out the nose for a premier defensive center when the rest of your players are like sieves on defense.

Puddles

Banned
He was never going to win it. I don't see him getting another one till he wins a ring

I don't think LeBron is going to win another one.

Now that Durant has clearly surpassed him, he's never going to be the best player in the league again. Rose will surpass him by next year if he hasn't already.

I think we've seen Bron's career peak with last season's Finals loss. That's about as good as it will get for him from here on out.

Its so annoying hearing people here in China and Taiwan claiming Knicks to be possible champs just because of Lin's popularity.

Every time I hear that I just laugh and say yeah, they'll be lucky to make the playoffs at this rate - and they stare at me as if I'm a traitor. Ugh.
They will likely make the playoffs now that D'Antoni is gone, but I don't see them making the second round unless they miraculously make it up to the 6th seed, and even then that would be a stretch.

An uninsured contract just means that instead of some Insurance company paying out the remainder of the contact, the party themselves, in this case, the knicks, would have to pay out.

How does that change anything from our point of view? Knicks will still spend as much as they can, they aren't going to hamstrung financially secondary to having to make payments on his contract. Cap issues, etc. will have to be rectified depending on whether he's deemed to be medically unfit to play.

The issue more so for me is whether he goes under the knife or not. In a sport like basketball, coming back from any sort of fusion/disk replacement/spacing procedure is asking a lot of the athlete and surgeon. I really hope he heals well and can come back at some point next year. I think him being out for the remainder of this season, based on some of the medical information available right now, is a given.

Has nothing to do with Dolan's finances or even the Knicks cap, it just is a way to further emphasize how stupid of a signing it was, to give a max contract to a guy who's medical record is so sketchy that he is uninsurable.

h3ro

Rodeo, you're right, the insurance issue was secondary to his knee issues. The back strain/injury happened last year.

Out of all the guys in the league whose contracts you'd want to insure, Amar'e would have to be easily in the top 3 along with Oden and Roy (and that's before the bulging disc issue). The fact that they didn't simply goes to show how much of a joke the front office leadership of the organization is.

If I were a Knicks fan, I would be pissed that my owner has botched the number of chances they had to become a real contender over the last couple of years. First with LeBron, secondly with the atrocious Melo trade, and then hinging all of your hopes on Amar'e Stoudemire's health and paying out the nose for a premier defensive center when the rest of your players are like sieves on defense.

We are pissed. But it's our team, and we root for them. No team I root for has given this much amount to grief (but then again, the other teams I root for are the Yankees and Giants, polar opposites from the knicks in terms of ownership and management).

I mean, hey, it's not like Stern is gonna move the knicks and gift my city one of the best players in the league while ripping the heart out of one of it's most diehard fanbases from said teams previous city.

that's the salt talking. apologies.

Has nothing to do with Dolan's finances or even the Knicks cap, it just is a way to further emphasize how stupid of a signing it was, to give a max contract to a guy who's medical record is so sketchy that he is uninsurable.

For real, look for a 4 year 60 million dollar deal for Oden next year...unless they can nab Bowie...

I don't think LeBron is going to win another one.

Now that Durant has clearly surpassed him, he's never going to be the best player in the league again. Rose will surpass him by next year if he hasn't already.

I think we've seen Bron's career peak with last season's Finals loss. That's about as good as it will get for him from here on out.
I still say LeBron should have gone to the Bulls. He would have been the star there before Rose's MVP season and would have less pressure to win it all. Miami was always a lose-lose situation for him. Even if he won it all with the Heat last year, it was never really his team.

KingGondo

Banned
I mean, hey, it's not like Stern is gonna move the knicks and gift my city one of the best players in the league while ripping the heart out of one of it's most diehard fanbases from said teams previous city.

that's the salt talking. apologies.
I'm immune to Sonics saltiness. Seems like ancient history to me, honestly.

A couple of things, though:

1) Howard Schultz is most to blame for the Sonics moving IMO, because he caved and sold the Sonics to a group of businessmen from OKC. What did he think they were going to do with the team?

2) KD was anything but a sure thing after his rookie year. Sure, he won ROY... But there was still a ton of debate about how good he'd ultimately be.

i'm happy, next season we will be number 3 seed most likely.

I still say LeBron should have gone to the Bulls. He would have been the star there before Rose's MVP season and would have less pressure to win it all. Miami was always a lose-lose situation for him. Even if he won it all with the Heat last year, it was never really his team.

That only matters to talking heads on ESPN. And it shouldnt to you.

KingGondo

Banned
i'm happy, next season we will be number 3 seed most likely.
shaq-lol.gif

Canuck76

Banned

1) Howard Schultz is most to blame for the Sonics moving IMO, because he caved and sold the Sonics to a group of businessmen from OKC. What did he think they were going to do with the team?

2) KD was anything but a sure thing after his rookie year. Sure, he won ROY... But there was still a ton of debate about how good he'd ultimately be.

KD was pretty good from day one man. No one knew he was going to be a MVP level type player but you could tell he was going to be a superstar. Even if the sonics come back i'll still be salty because there's no Durant. They'll get some crap team and have to rebuild.

KingGondo

Banned
A Jokelahoman lawyer trying to justify theft? No surprise here.
Don't burn bridges, Dr. Blade. I might not open my door when you get sued for malpractice one day.

Canuck76 said:
KD was pretty good from day one man. No one knew he was going to be a MVP level type player but you could tell he was going to be a superstar. Even if the sonics come back i'll still be salty because there's no Durant. They'll get some crap team and have to rebuild.
He was good, but anything but a surefire superstar.

Syphon Filter said:
Why not? we'll see...
Yes, yes we will.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Durant wasn't even the clear better pick over Oden until maybe 3 years after that college season.

Were you a Sonics fan?

rage1973

Durant wasn't even the clear better pick over Oden until maybe 3 years after that college season.

Nobody in their right mind would have taken Oden after rookie season when he was an injury prone big man coming off a microfracture surgery and out for a whole season.

Do the Knicks even own their pick for next year?

edit: lol I thought you said 3rd pick, not seed. No Amare, fatmelo, upset chandler. 6 seed tops, perhaps a lotto team.

im guessing/hoping they are all healthy by then. amare might be back by the playoffs,it isnt as serious as last time. they are just trying to be safe. melo will workout in the summer and be ready. also what do you mean by tyson being mad?

charsace

For real, look for a 4 year 60 million dollar deal for Oden next year...unless they can nab Bowie...

Are you comparing a guy with multiple allstars, all NBA awards and deep playoff runs to a couple of guys that never did anything in the league? Amare's knees have held up really well since he's had the surgeries. The biggest problem he's had since the surgeries is the eye injury and that was a freak injury.

I've always had Durant over Oden. I thought that buckeyes team was conley's more than it was Oden's since Oden wasn't really healthy until 17 games into the season. He missed like 10 games where conley lead the team and took a few more to get into game shape and fully recover from the wrist injury.

That only matters to talking heads on ESPN. And it shouldnt to you.

I think that's part of the problem, actually. I actually like LeBron as a person, as he seems like a genuinely nice guy, but he seems to be very selective of when he wants to be in the spotlight. He loves for it to be all about him off the court, but on the court when the pressure's on, he'd rather everybody else take center stage. I'm all for unselfish play, but when you have that much talent, you should want to be the number one guy on your team. That doesn't mean hogging the ball all the time, but it does mean having confidence that you can carry the team on your back when the time comes.

Edit: Also, at what point am I no longer "Who's that guy?" I will always be more of a lurker than a poster, but I probably follow NBA threads more than any other GAF topics... at least since last year.

im guessing/hoping they are all healthy by then. amare might be back by the playoffs,it isnt as serious as last time. they are just trying to be safe. melo will workout in the summer and be ready. also what do you mean by tyson being mad?
Tyson playing with heart is unusual. When the team quits or slumps Chanlder tends to phone it in. He has done it before, maybe he's more mature now though.

Even if Amare is back for the playoffs or next season, each day he is less healthy. His back is a new problem, perhaps set into motion by his bad knees, his knees are still the largest concern. I doubt he ever plays a full season again, and for the type of PF that Amare is not being explosive might as well mean he can't play.

Alrix

Are you comparing a guy with multiple allstars, all NBA awards and deep playoff runs to a couple of guys that never did anything in the league? Amare's knees have held up really well since he's had the surgeries. The biggest problem he's had since the surgeries is the eye injury and that was a freak injury.

I've always had Durant over Oden. I thought that buckeyes team was conley's more than it was Oden's since Oden wasn't really healthy until 17 games into the season. He missed like 10 games where conley lead the team and took a few more to get into game shape and fully recover from the wrist injury.

Agree about amar'e, people get on him alllllll the time but I'm pretty sure his knees haven't been an issue at all, at least since he's been in new york. I can't remember him missing any time for knee issues.

Agree about amar'e, people get on him alllllll the time but I'm pretty sure his knees haven't been an issue at all, at least since he's been in new york. I can't remember him missing any time for knee issues.
Might as well tout the structural soundness of a house of cards because its still standing. Amare's knees are timebombs.

exarkun

Ban this man. Right nao. There has to be some kind of tort for this blatant misrepresentation.

Gondo, you didn't pass the mpre did you? Or are ethical concerns ancient history to you too?

On the bright side if Amare's career ends then everyone wins next year. He walks away with a pile of cash, Knicks clear some cap space, and Dolan gets what he deserves for making stupid decisions.

On the bright side if Amare's career ends then everyone wins next year. He walks away with a pile of cash, Knicks clear some cap space, and Dolan gets what he deserves for making stupid decisions.
I doubt it'll be that easy or clean. Amare will stick around as long as there's a chance to recover not sure Dolan will be so quick to admit he was wrong.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Nobody in their right mind would have taken Oden after rookie season when he was an injury prone big man coming off a microfracture surgery and out for a whole season.

Oden wasn't a freak athlete jump out the gym type - it would've been one thing if we were talking about Kenyon with a microfracture or something, but as a young guy... it wasn't that big of deal. Once that 2nd knee injury came around, it was over though.

People forget how ridiculously inefficient KD was when he first entered the league. KD looked more prone to a crippling injury than Oden did. Kid was a twig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom