• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Mar |OT2| The Manhattan Project Part II: Blow It All Up, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Why is the whole "BestGAF" shtick so insulting to people? It was born out of the whole Best-Korea / Best-Gasol / Worst-Gasol meme to begin with.

The fact that people found it insulting considering it was kept within this thread almost exclusively is... weird. So who got pissed about us calling ourselves BestGAF? Because they sure as hell never spoke up in this thread about it, which makes it sound like people that never posted in here to begin with.

It's so weird to catch feelings over that.

It's not just calling ourselves that.. And if it was ONLY in this thread it wouldn't have been much of an issue.

It is a problem when you members drive by troll other threads as best GAF and then bitch about how best GAF is the only place they can post in threads and on IRC.. The entire situation might have been handled differently but "silly little jokes" get old, just like memes...

Also we have always hazed, as do a lot of sports threads, but we were the worst of them all...

The injokes are really dumb and need to stop, I agree. Also if you guys want to keep using those jokes ITT you should put them in the OP.

But dammit there does seem to be a bit of hate/ego from certain members in here.

I guess I just want to talk ball

Dont hate

h3ro

The injokes are really dumn and need to stop, I agree. Also if you guys want to keep using those jokes ITT you should put them in the OP.

But dammit there does seem to be a bit of hate/ego from certain members in here. There doesnt need to be a problem but there sometimes is

Fair enough. Going into other threads and having breakdowns about the thread don't help either.

I don't see anything wrong with inside jokes like LLLL, YNB, knicks-bad, etc as it's a natural process of evolution of a community to develop them after a long period of time together. We'll have to pull an NFL-age and put a beginners guide in the OP if that helps.

If we're going to go after all aberrant behavior, then let's be fair about it.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
It's not just calling ourselves that.. And if it was ONLY in this thread it wouldn't have been much of an issue.

It would be nice to know where it's been happening because I haven't seen it myself.

That's the whole thing about the thread being shut down... it was allusions to a bunch of vague instances that nobody could pinpoint to and other members saying that we were "talking shit about them" in this thread AGAIN. That was such a huge "wtf is going on? what are you talking about?" moment. I don't think any of us still got a definite answer.

It would be nice to know where it's been happening because I haven't seen it myself.

That's the whole thing about the thread being shut down... it was allusions to a bunch of vague instances that nobody could pinpoint to and other members saying that we were "talking shit about them" in this thread AGAIN. That was such a huge "wtf is going on? what are you talking about?" moment. I don't think any of us still got a definite answer.

To be fair I did it once and Ace banned me. Haven't done it since nor have I seen it done.

Fair enough. Going into other threads and having breakdowns about the thread don't help either.

If we're going to go after all aberrant behavior, then let's be fair about it.
From an outsider's perspective, was my post all that crazy? Someone had just been banned for pulling a homo joke, the "racist" joke gets thrown around here a ton even though new posters don't know what it means.

I'm cool with all the ribbing and stuff but sometimes things go a bit overboard here.

Again, if you guys want to keep making the inside jokes you should but them in the OP. Stuff like SJax's "fuk yo team clown" bit probably seem a bit hostile to an outsider.

THAT SAID, I do not recall any threads where NBA GAF teamed up and took shots at other users.

The injokes are really dumb and need to stop, I agree. Also if you guys want to keep using those jokes ITT you should put them in the OP.

But dammit there does seem to be a bit of hate/ego from certain members in here.

I guess I just want to talk ball

Dont hate

The Injokes have been here way before you. They only become dumb to those who don't get the jokes and/or when used outside of this thread. It's stuff like this comment or te comment you made in the NFL thread saying you've seen racism and homophobia in this thread that upset many of the long time regulars here.

From an outsider's perspective, was my post all that crazy? Someone had just been banned for pulling a homo joke, the "racist" joke gets thrown around here a ton even though new posters don't know what it means. There are shots thrown around here that sometimes go past trash talk and into inappropriate insult territory, at least in the context of the forum.

I'm cool with all the ribbing and stuff but sometimes things go a bit overboard here.

Again, if you guys want to keep making the inside jokes you should but them in the OP. Stuff like SJax's "fuk yo team clown" bit probably seem a bit hostile to an outsider.

Why should we do it? Why don't you go as try to police or backseat mod other threads that have it's own jokes and lingo? Seriously just stop.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Am I crazy or does Steve Nash look older as a rookie?

Nash-218x300.jpg

139372067_crop_650x440.jpg

SMOOTHEST FACE IN BASKETBALL

Why should we do it? Why don't you go as try to police or backseat mod other threads that have it's own jokes and lingo? Seriously just stop.
Because when people talk about opening the thread and not knowing wtf is going on, this is why. When friendly jokes get thrown at new members, and the new members don't know what's going on, that's an issue.

I would rather new members feel more welcome than ever coming into the OT, especially with the move to community. Sure, keep using the inside jokes, but make sure everyone knows wtf they mean. Some of the time those jokes seem like hostile shit. Know what I'm saying?

Also, I phrased that post wrong, but yes we've seen people get banned for homo jokes and other jokes and stuff. I just didn't make it clear in that post.

reilo

From an outsider's perspective, was my post all that crazy? Someone had just been banned for pulling a homo joke, the "racist" joke gets thrown around here a ton even though new posters don't know what it means.

THAT SAID, I do not recall any threads where NBA GAF teamed up and took shots at other users.

Look, we can't control when a new member starts posting in this thread or not. It's also ridiculous to expect to have a running tab of injokes and memes in the OP so that new members know what's going on, especially since they are ever-evolving.

If a new poster comes in here and starts dropping crap like "Lebron is better than Kobe and Jordan!!!" then someone should be allowed to disagree with them. Should they call them a "fucking idiot"? Probably not. Should they tell them to go sit in the corner and rethink which foot they want to step forward with? In my opinion, yeah.

It is sports, after all. We are fanatics, after all. Sports is one of those definite things where we do keep tab of winners and losers -- that's the whole point. It's you against them. It's them against you. To expect a whole "hello there chaps, welcome to the thread, we love all teams and players!" attitude is... weird. It's not sports then.

Maybe that's just how I look at sports.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Because when people talk about opening the thread and not knowing wtf is going on, this is why. When friendly jokes get thrown at new members, and the new members don't know what's going on, that's an issue.

I would rather new members feel more welcome than ever coming into the OT, especially with the move to community. Sure, keep using the inside jokes, but make sure everyone knows wtf they mean. Some of the time those jokes seem like hostile shit. Know what I'm saying?

Also, I phrased that post wrong, but yes we've seen people get banned for homo jokes and other jokes and stuff. I just didn't make it clear in that post.
So what you're saying is... ban eznark

cashman

Banned
Odd, I honestly feel like the Bulls are the only top 10ish team that has zero chance against the heat even when they have home court.

Bulls beating the heat would shock me way more than the Magic/Lakers/Okc/Spurs/Mavs.
Honestly I don't trust anybody in the west except maybe the thunder to beat the heat. It's the bulls or nothing imo.

thekad

Banned
Wait, is he serious? Listing all the memes in the OP? You've got to be kidding.

If this thread is so hostile, why do you, Emwitus and Mamba have more posts than me, ryutaro, and loving?

Look, we can't control when a new member starts posting in this thread or not. It's also ridiculous to expect to have a running tab of injokes and memes in the OP so that new members know what's going on, especially since they are ever-evolving.

If a new poster comes in here and starts dropping crap like "Lebron is better than Kobe and Jordan!!!" then someone should be allowed to disagree with them. Should they call them a "fucking idiot"? Probably not. Should they tell them to go sit in the corner and rethink which foot they want to step forward with? In my opinion, yeah.

It is sports, after all. We are fanatics, after all. Sports is one of those definite things where we do keep tab of winners and losers -- that's the whole point. It's you against them. It's them against you. To expect a whole "hello there chaps, welcome to the thread, we love all teams and players!" attitude is... weird. It's not sports then.

Maybe that's just how I look at sports.
I don't disagree with you. I posted this exact thing in the "move to OT thread". It doesn't really apply to what I'm talking about.

Why is it so hard to keep a running tab of jokes in the OP? Instead of feeling alienated and/or confused at wtf is happening we could just say "check the OP" or something like that. That way people can still make jokes and newbies won't be confused. And you wouldn't need every one, just long running ones/popular ones.

And that's the problem. The way that post came across was such behavior was accepted here. Even if the poster wasn't banned that ahit is NEVER accepted by the regular posters. EVER. We do a great job of policing ourselves even when Ace and Bish aren't here. It's not our job to cowtow to lurkers or drive by posters.

Everyone of us that have spent time here have been ribbed. Every one of us had to learn the jokes. Every one of us had to decide if it's worth our time to spend our time in this thread. It isnt the NBA Age's job to placate other posters. It isn't that way with any other thread on GAF.

If people want to post here we will embrace them. Shadow gets more flack than many posters here but he comes back and fires the jokes right back. So do many others. I get ribbed more than many others but I enjoy it. It's what sports trash talk is. It isn't our job to teach anyone anything. We police ourselves better than most large sun communities on GAF.

reilo

I don't disagree with you. I posted this exact thing in the "move to OT thread". It doesn't really apply to what I'm talking about.

Why is it so hard to keep a running tab of jokes in the OP? Instead of feeling alienated and/or confused at wtf is happening we could just say "check the OP" or something like that. That way people can still make jokes and newbies won't be confused. And you wouldn't need every one, just long running ones/popular ones.

1) Most people don't read the OP in threads like this, anyway.
2) It would be met with "RTFOP" response, which is counter-intuitive.
3) There's so many things to keep tab of.
4) The OP already sort of does that anyway. The OP titles, the quotes, the GIFs, etc. Those are the jokes.

EDIT: And this whole weird idea that NBA-GAF is a breeding ground for racism... lol. That's quite insulting to the likes to Bish, BA, DY, and all of us who call that shit out/take care of it right away when we see it. See windowlurker's bullshit against Rubio when he got injured.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

What?

No other thread on GAF does this. This entire notion is laughable in of itself.

Essentially what you're arguing is that every single fighting game thread should have a lexicon in the OP explaining all the FGC lingo that makes absolutely no sense to the overwhelming majority of the people on GAF.

This thread got moved to community precisely because it's a community. There is no need to spell every little detail out for new people. If they want to join the community then they simply join it and get up to date like anybody else does in any other thread.

Alrix

I'm new and was able to figure them out for myself, mostly. I don't think it's that big a deal.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
And that's the problem. The way that post came across was such behavior was accepted here. Even if the poster wasn't banned that ahit is NEVER accepted by the regular posters. EVER. We do a great job of policing ourselves even when Ace and Bish aren't here. It's not our job to cowtow to lurkers or drive by posters.

Everyone of us that have spent time here have been ribbed. Every one of us had to learn the jokes. Every one of us had to decide if it's worth our time to spend our time in this thread. It isnt the NBA Age's job to placate other posters. It isn't that way with any other thread on GAF.

If people want to post here we will embrace them. Shadow gets more flack than many posters here but he comes back and fires the jokes right back. So do many others. I get ribbed more than many others but I enjoy it. It's what sports trash talk is. It isn't our job to teach anyone anything. We police ourselves better than most large sun communities on GAF.
Yeah, I think we do just fine. People just need to realize that no one here is really trying to hurt anyone (and if they do, they're the slight minority and get banned). It's just jokes, no one here is really that mean to new members.

Why? Seriously? Because its ridiculous. Should every sub community do the same? We're all adults. Nobody forces posters to post here. This isn't grade school. If people's feelings are so easily hurt because someone calls them a clown then they should get off of the internet altogether.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Why? Seriously? Because its ridiculous. Should every sub community do the same? We're all adults. Nobody forces posters to post here. This isn't grade school. If people's feelings are so easily hurt because someone calls them a clown then they should get off of the internet altogether.
Let's not get ridiculous here, lol. Isn't the entry age for GAF 13?

I fucked up in the phrasing of the post, yeah.
I didn't say it was a breeding ground for racism. I mean I sort of did but its because the post I wrote was crappy.

Not EVERY LITTLE THING. And yes I think it would be nice to have some of the lingo thrown together in FGC threads. It would make things much more easier to get into.

I'm new and was able to figure them out for myself, mostly. I don't think it's that big a deal.
K. I didn't find it that hard either but this is just an idea

filler

Banned
My account is less than a year old, so I'm fairly new here. I didn't need any list of in jokes/memes to feel comfortable posting here, that's ridiculous. If you actually take the time to post here regularly, rather than just driveby triple L the thread. Then all that will be picked up over time.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Pretty much the only "joke" Ive ever opposed to is the racist one, yes I now all the regulars know its jest, but the problem is that this thread is viewed by 10x the people that post in it who dont know the memes, so when they see somebody being called a racist repeatedly ... theyre gonna get the wrong idea.

And I cant really have that, its too big a label especially in the internet.

As for the rest, coffee, you gotta let it go man. We're a little hostile, sure, but if you dont want people to insult you and you dont insult back, people WILL respect that.

My account is less than a year old, so I'm fairly new here. I didn't need any list of in jokes/memes to feel comfortable posting here, that's ridiculous. If you actually take the time to post here regularly, rather than just driveby triple L the thread. Then all that will be picked up over time.

May I add that whenever I see your nick/avatar I expect to fully enjoy your posts. Plus your whit and sarcasm is fantastic.

reilo

Plus, how will we have those hilarious instances when a Triple L thinks he's acting smart and calls me a Triple L? That shit cray*.

*Cray is short for crazy. It was made popular by Kanye West and Jay-Z in the song "Niggas in Paris" from the album "Watch the Throne" because Kanye didn't know what to rhyme "fish filet" with. So he dropped the z.

Pretty much the only "joke" Ive ever opposed to is the racist one, yes I now all the regulars know its jest, but the problem is that this thread is viewed by 10x the people that post in it who dont know the memes, so when they see somebody being called a racist repeatedly ... theyre gonna get the wrong idea.

As for the rest, coffee, you gotta let it go man. We're a little hostile, sure, but if you dont want people to insult you and you dont insult back, people WILL respect that.

Yep and I was called out for that shit with good reason. And that goes to show that if you say something offensive you will be called out.

Only reason I brought it up was because of the prob with the racist joke that you just mentioned. I'm just saying that when people talk bad about this OT its probably becuase they've never posted in here, so when they randomly click and see a joke like that they don't get it (hell I STILL don't get that one)

I don't think anyone agrees with me though so whatever

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Also I just saw the the :jnc thing was explained in the NFL OP so that's what made me think of this
Our OP should just be about The Boozer Defense Force. In fact, it should just be Boozer pics. In fact, the thread should be called The Boozer Defense Force featuring NBA-GAF (BestGAF).

reilo

As a Spurs fan, the Thunder signing Fisher excited me. The more that he and Worstbrook shoot the ball instead of Durant, the better!

As a Spurs fan, Derek Fisher attempting a clutch shot excites you? That's a bit masochist of you, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom