• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT3| The Barclays Center is covered in rust

Buying the first madden I have bought in four years

The physics engine is such a huge addition--running backs actually pushing offensive linemen forward for the extra yard, falling forward in the process, receievers running into each other on pass routes which cause incompletions..there's a lot to like.

I don't find myself playing NFL games as religiously as the 2k games though. Maybe I just need a bit more time with it.

charsace

I didn't even need the physics engine, the new connected careers mode is enough

And of course 2k is too busy ADDING LEGENDS!!!
"Online doesn't work and things like MyPlayer or glitch ridden, but we're adding the Dream Team!"

This is why I'm not buying 2k. That and not having time.

"Online doesn't work and things like MyPlayer or glitch ridden, but we're adding the Dream Team!"

This is why I'm not buying 2k. That and not having time.

the best part is that 2k ronnie is condescending as fuck and OP Sports bans guys like red blaster for having an opinion that doesn't suck 2k off

benjipwns

Banned
the best part is that 2k ronnie is condescending as fuck
His job is to live in a self-delusional bubble.

Mike Wang and some others are far better at "community managing" than him. Wang will actually answer people on twitter and OS.

Ronnie and the "2K Insider" are the worst parts of well, everything.

Pretty sure there are some completely non-fixable flaws within the 2k engine, which sucks because they don't necessarily need a new engine because of how successful the animation system has worked with this one. I don't see anything really changing. New servers won't help anything, the network code is straight broken.

I'm not too salty about them focusing on legends and such...its a testament to the gameplay which is so deep and feature rich that it's hard to even come up with new stuff for them to add at this point.

charsace

the best part is that 2k ronnie is condescending as fuck and OP Sports bans guys like red blaster for having an opinion that doesn't suck 2k off

Ronnie is a fuck head and just a terrible PR guy. You're right in that he does talk down to anyone that criticizes 2k, especially anything to do with online. Wang is better than him at PR and it isn't even his job.

Wang can't do everything though. :(

benjipwns

Banned
There has to be, despite their claims, gobs of Dreamcast legacy code. They claim the rewrote the network code, but it still sucks. There are animations and gameplay functions that seem to operate the same as NBA Action '98 even though they claim to rebuild it every year.

They just pile this stuff on top, which keeps it working. But you can go back, fire up older games and see a lot of the same basic stuff working.

Though I don't complain too much about the $30 PC version. What they give me is better than what EA was doing.

Nori Chan

Just wanted to get a little discussion going on here and also a little curious after cleaning my closet yesterday.

What jerseys do you guys own?

I own:
Gold Kobe 8
Gold Kobe 24
White Kobe 24
All Star (Vegas, forgo what year) Kobe 24

How about you guys?

There has to be, despite their claims, gobs of Dreamcast legacy code. They claim the rewrote the network code, but it still sucks. There are animations and gameplay functions that seem to operate the same as NBA Action '98 even though they claim to rebuild it every year.

They just pile this stuff on top, which keeps it working. But you can go back, fire up older games and see a lot of the same basic stuff working.

Though I don't complain too much about the $30 PC version. What they give me is better than what EA was doing.

The PC version is better only because of the graphics and mods you can do.

You can't do custom arena music, you have to listen to their shitty robotic 'GO TEAM GO' chants, and the online...LOL. They shouldn't even have bothered with an "online" portion because it's insulting

benjipwns

Banned
The PC version is better only because of the graphics and mods you can do.

You can't do custom arena music, you have to listen to their shitty robotic 'GO TEAM GO' chants, and the online...LOL. They shouldn't even have bothered with an "online" portion because it's insulting
It's half-price. And I suffered long enough with Live as the only option.

Inside Drive 2000 was the only non-Live game until 2K9.

The PC graphics aren't actually inherently better outside of resolution/etc. The game runs a shit ton of stuff on the CPU that should be done on your GPU. You will almost never get better than 40% load on your GPU with 2K.

Really, anyone can do this. Especially if you have a second monitor. Pop up task manager and GPU-Z, almost no matter what you have, your CPU will 100% and your GPU will hover around 30% while playing. THE MENU uses more GPU than ingame. Hell, I know flash ads that use more GPU than 2K.

It's half-price. And I suffered long enough with Live as the only option.

Inside Drive 2000 was the only non-Live game until 2K9.

The PC graphics aren't actually inherently better outside of resolution/etc. The game runs a shit ton of stuff on the CPU that should be done on your GPU. You will almost never get better than 40% load on your GPU with 2K.

Really, anyone can do this. Especially if you have a second monitor. Pop up task manager and GPU-Z, almost no matter what you have, your CPU will 100% and your GPU will hover around 30% while playing. THE MENU uses more GPU than ingame. Hell, I know flash ads that use more GPU than 2K.

yeah I agree the graphics are only better cause of resolution

but thankfully the mods will prevent me from any future purchases

Holy shit DJ is on the Pacers?

Thats actually a pretty big deal.

yeah I agree the graphics are only better cause of resolution

but thankfully the mods will prevent me from any future purchases

I don't know man, some of the things they are doing this year in regards to momentum/physics look like they could provide some pretty big changes.

The best part was that Pared gave me a warning telling me to quiet it down, following that I linked him to like 10 posts of LOL ITS A VIDEOGAME STOP BLAMING 2K WHINERS towards people with complaints and he gave me a one-day ban for disruptive posting; got permed later that week.

Flash

sport games are so disappointing... i feel like they should look a lot better by now. The animation is embarrassing and I hate how everyone has that... dead look in their eyes. lol

SUPREME1

Banned
Just wanted to get a little discussion going on here and also a little curious after cleaning my closet yesterday.

What jerseys do you guys own?

I own:
Gold Kobe 8
Gold Kobe 24
White Kobe 24
All Star (Vegas, forgo what year) Kobe 24

How about you guys?

Gold Kobe (8)
Gold Shaq
Purple Kobe (24)

Black and Red Wade, White and Red Wade, Red and White Wade, All Black Wade, Black and Red Mourning, Vintage White and Red Heat Wade, Vintage Black and Red Hardaway and recently just bought a Black and Red Lebron

Still waiting on my Joel Anthony Floridians Jersey

Did LBJ ever come out with his excuse for not being in the '10 dunk contest like he said he would? I heard a rumour that he backed out 'cause he wanted to get paid. I remember him charging people for autographs when he was at SMSV, so I put nothing past pre-'12 Lebron.

Flash

Did LBJ ever come out with his excuse for not being in the '10 dunk contest like he said he would? I heard a rumour that he backed out 'cause he wanted to get paid. I remember him charging people for autographs when he was at SMSV, so I put nothing past pre-'12 Lebron.

dunk contest just isn't what it used to be... winning it doesn't really mean shit any more (I honestly can't remember the last few winners)

If he wins it's expected and means nothing, but if he loses he'll be ridiculed for who knows how long. I really doubt it's really about the money but more so his "entourage" advising him not too.

but seriously they need to fix the dunk contest - no more stupid ass props and no more fan voting. Just let the judges decide.

nash suns white
dirk navy (2001-2010)
dirk royal p diddy alternate (2010)
dirk p diddy green
dirk home white
but my favorite that i own is probably from the fiba tourney a couple years ago
large_69097c44-c1a5-42b4-84df-d15fe027673d.jpeg

entremet

Hey NBA GAF, what's the consensus us on Bill Simmons's The Book of Basketball? Looking a gift for my brother who loves all things bball.

Hey NBA GAF, what's the consensus us on Bill Simmons's The Book of Basketball? Looking a gift for my brother who loves all things bball.

Has some interesting tidbits, but relies on cliches about their character instead of how good they actually were at basketball and greatly overrates everyone in the 50s and 60s other than Russell and Mikan. It's fun to discuss and read, but there's some major biases and bad assumptions.

The physics engine is such a huge addition--running backs actually pushing offensive linemen forward for the extra yard, falling forward in the process, receievers running into each other on pass routes which cause incompletions..there's a lot to like.

I don't find myself playing NFL games as religiously as the 2k games though. Maybe I just need a bit more time with it.

I never liked the jerky animation in madden games. jarring to me, especially when I played so much 2k basketball and the yearly installments of the Show.

Top Bottom