• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT3| The Barclays Center is covered in rust

T Dollarz

I LOVED Bill Simmons' book. It included great discussions of the game, from greatest teams to greatest players to controversies and he let you know when he was putting a biased opinion and when he was leaving it aside. Highly recommended, he is so fun to read. Hilarious writing.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Not to sound like a condescending dick but I'm too old for that, it's kind of childish to wear that unless you're going to a game or you're at a bar with a bunch of dudes doing the same thing

Idk I think you can rock a HOF players jersey if he represented team to hang out in and run errands in as well. Nobody should have more than 2 or 3 jerseys and they shouldn't be worn back to back.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I saw a really fat guy playing basketball at the gym, while wearing a Felton jersey.

Simmons' book is alright, but its basically just bball-reference + a few anecdotes. 750 pages is misleading (MASSIVE text + margins, pictures and career stats for hundreds of players/teams, etc)...its really more like 200 pages of actual content. You can comfortably read it in a day or two.

Bill Simmons is only good in small doses, so 750 pages of him is tantamount to suicide.

Get him The Undisputed Guide To Pro Basketball History which is excellent.

Yes.

Do this.

T Dollarz

Just played '92 Dream Team vs 2012 Team USA in 2K. Won by 20 with Dream.

One of the most fun games of 2K I've played, it was so easy to use everyone on the team. Distributed the rock really well and had even results with my players. I think MJ was my leader in points with 17.

Lebron destroyed me though. Fool went off for 27 with many more blocks, steals and assists. He was the only one in double digits though so I was satisfied.

Why I'm posting this here I have no idea, but it was a fun game. Fin.

Hey NBA GAF, what's the consensus us on Bill Simmons's The Book of Basketball? Looking a gift for my brother who loves all things bball.

Entertaining read, can be self indulgent sometimes and his Celtic homerism is annoying (though he ranked Magic higher than Bird). That's Bill Simmons in a nutshell.

KingJ2002

It was inevitable.

No way Vujabitch could ever handle a woman like Sharapova. Surprised he made it to fiance.

He didn't have time to see her now that he's playing in turkey. She said he only saw her once within 10 months of playing there... so they just fell off.

good thing this didn't go down... nothing worse than to marry a woman who says she has unconditional love for you... only to take off and comeback to see her getting banged out by the pool boy.. or worse... prokhorov

linsivvi

He was a Heatle for like 5 secs

Also our Laker relationship is like bizarro Magic/Laker relationship

Eddie Jones
Glen Rice
Cedric Ceballos
Shaq

You can't mention Shaq without bringing up Odom, who not only helped the Lakers to chip 2 times, but also sabotaged the Mavs last season and exacted revenge for both teams.

Posted? I love this kind of stuff.
The New York Knicks became one of 10 team to purchase a multi-camera system from STATS, LLC that tracks every movement in an NBA game.

Carmelo Anthony was the most efficient player in the NBA of all players who drove the ball at least 40 times in camera-recorded games during the 11-12 season. New York scored 1.66 points per possession on those trips. Anthony shot the ball on 55 percent of those drives and drew fouls on 25 percent of them. Anthony shot just better than 50 percent.

But Anthony drove just 3.1 times per game, equivalent to the same rate as Chandler Parsons and Luol Deng.

Anthony also ranked No. 1 on points per possession on all of his elbow touches. Anthony shot 62 percent on shots taken after an elbow touch.
http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...ient_On_Drives_Touches_At_Elbow#ixzz25B8tcIO7

he could shoot at or above .500 and be one of the most efficient scorers in the league if he wasnt so selfish. but then Knicks age pain and anguish wouldnt be half as fun,lol.

More STATS LLC shit
James Harden shot 77 percent on shots taken after qualifying drives in 37 recorded games, a shooting mark that’s both insane and the highest of any player who recorded at least 40 drives with any outcome (pass, shot, drawn foul, turnover, etc.). Manu Ginobili, Harden’s double, matched that 77 percent in fewer games, and Steve Nash (78 percent) edged it in a tiny 10-game sample. Keep an eye next season on Kyrie Irving, who (in just eight recorded games) shot 70 percent on drives and recorded the second-highest points per possession mark among all sampled players, trailing only Harden.

Those who shot poorly on drives included: John Wall (43 percent in 26 recorded games), Danny Granger (48 percent in 14 games), Raymond Felton (46 percent in 13 games), Klay Thompson (39 percent in 31 games), Monta Ellis (47 percent in 37 games) and Derrick Williams (33 percent in 22 games)

Want to know the answer to the age-old debate over who the fastest point guard in the league really is? Well, STATS can’t answer that definitely yet, since only 10 of the league’s 30 arenas have the cameras installed. But those 10 arenas feature some pretty quick point guards — Tony Parker, Russell Westbrook, Rajon Rondo, Kyle Lowry, Ricky Rubio, Brandon Jennings and the quicker-than-you-think Calderon. (John Wall, for some reason, was left out of this report).

But none can touch Parker in an open sprint, at least not so far this season. Parker has reached a high speed of 20.9 miles per hour in one stretch of in-game sprinting, easily the highest speed any of these guys have registered. Rubio is next, at 19.4 miles per hour, and the rest of the crew falls into the 17 range. Chicago has not invested in the STATS system, so we only have a few games worth of data on Derrick Rose; he reached a peak speed of 17.0 miles in San Antonio last month.

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012/03/08/who-is-really-the-fastest-point-guard/

Ok I have an issue. i am logged into gaf on my ipad but on my computer it keeps telling me wrong pass. well i want to reset the pass but i think first of all my email i first registered my be expired since i graduated a long time ago. then when i try to type the image it presents...well i either cant read what the fuck it is saying or it tells me wrong words even though i swear it is right

if i got hacked and start posting dick pix on this forum it is not me!!!!

it dont hurt. we are so used to it that it doesnt hurt anymore lol.also why would you hate us?

I dont hate the Knicks, Im just an amused spectator. We had the same problem with Vince in his Raptor years, one squandered possession after another 'cause dude chucked contested fadeaways from everywhere.

edit:last nerd spasm.
this Harvard dude divvied up the court into different segments to determine the league's best shooters in the '11-12 season.

About 37 percent of the league's field goal attempts occur within midrange areas. Collectively, this is the NBA's least efficient shooting domain; the league shoots 38 percent from these zones, compared to 55.4 percent from close to the basket and 34.8 percent from the more-valuable three-point land. Players who can score efficiently in these areas are especially valuable. With that in mind, it's not surprising to see that many of the best midrange shooters in the league are among the league's highest paid players. Few of us should be surprised to see Dirk, Nash, Bosh, LeBron or Kevin Garnett in these areas. On the other hand, almost everyone should be shocked to see Rajon Rondo in their company. He's widely known as a woeful jump shooter, and that's not an unfair assessment overall. But Rondo has a few sweet spots from which he is surprisingly effective, and as you can see in his bleak shot chart below, the area off the right elbow is one of those oases. In this area Rondo shot 56 percent, edging out Ty Lawson and Dirk, each at 53 percent.

original.jpg

http://deadspin.com/5912397/the-best-shooters-in-the-nba-and-the-tyranny-of-field-goal-percentage

worst_shooters1.jpg

The above image summarizes the players who are the least efficient shooters from different spots on the court. Now, before we get too far, in some cases these aren’t “the worst shooters” in the NBA, but they are the worst in these particular zones. I’ve divided up the court into 8 3-point areas, 8 midrange areas, and 1 close-range area. Then I evaluated shooting performances in each area to discover who was the worst in each zone. I also included a minimum number of attempts for each area, but that number varies by zone. Regardless, the names and faces you see above each meet two criteria: 1) they shoot a lot in that area, and 2) they shoot very poorly there.

http://courtvisionanalytics.com/behold-the-worst-shooters-of-2012/

linsivvi

I dont hate the Knicks, Im just an amused spectator. We had the same problem with Vince in his Raptor years, one squandered possession after another 'cause dude chucked contested fadeaways from everywhere.

This is what is wrong with most basketball analysis. You cannot just look at things like that; this is not baseball. There are 10 players on court concurrently doing things. Maybe the other teams actually did some scouting and made an effort to not let Carmelo drive or get to his favorite spot? You have to look at the games possession by possession before you can make any kind of judgment.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Rondo ~= Nash as a shooter. You heard it here first.

One thing for certain is that the Celtics management knows what they're doing. They replaced Ray Allen, number one in the league in corner shots, with second and ninth best cornermen in the league. Courtney Lee (#2) and Jet. (#9)

T Dollarz

I wonder if the Celtics next year, assuming Rondo continues his play from the playoffs and molds into one of the league's best PGs, could be the best team they've had since their championship year...

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I wonder if the Celtics next year, assuming Rondo continues his play from the playoffs and molds into one of the league's best PGs, could be the best team they've had since their championship year...

Eh? Don't see that at all..

LuchaShaq

Banned
I LOVED Bill Simmons' book. It included great discussions of the game, from greatest teams to greatest players to controversies and he let you know when he was putting a biased opinion and when he was leaving it aside. Highly recommended, he is so fun to read. Hilarious writing.

This.

If you want to argue about every ranking it would be infuriating.

Yet reading some of the stuff about players I never really got to see play and there isn't much footage of? Was fucking great for that.

As someone else said it was best read in small doses 1-3 players at a time, not marathon sessions.

If Pierce/KG magically didn't age I might agree with you. I LOVE courtney lee/sullinger/Jet pickups, yet none of those guys can replace or replicate what pierce or kg are capable of when they go down or play semi hurt.

I think they are clearly the second best team in the East with a GIGANTIC gap between 2-3.

They're a terrible offense team that is completely reliant on a 36 year old, 7'1 center with shot knees on defense. They have a much better chance of being one of the ten worst teams in the NBA than winning a title.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
They're a terrible offense team that is completely reliant on a 36 year old, 7'1 center with shot knees on defense. They have a much better chance of being one of the ten worst teams in the NBA than winning a title.

The fuck?

Rondo - Pierce - Garnett is still better than 20+ other teams in the league (and more importantly nearly every team in the east). They'll be a solid team this year even in spite of Jeff Green.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The fuck?

Rondo - Pierce - Garnett is still better than 20+ other teams in the league (and more importantly nearly every team in the east). They'll be a solid team this year even in spite of Jeff Green.
Rondo is the Serge Ibaka of point guards.

DY_nasty

i thought rondo was supposed to be really good, but i only started watching basketball recently so idk.

ibaka is all about blocks so rondo is all about steals or something?
He's an outstanding athlete but fundamentally broken player that is for the most part ineffective in every typical late game scenario. Also he benefits greatly from playing with other great players that do a great job of masking his flaws.

Triple U

Banned
i thought rondo was supposed to be really good, but i only started watching basketball recently so idk.

ibaka is all about blocks so rondo is all about steals or something?

Eh don't listen to that guy.

Rondo is one of the highest IQ players in the league(when he wants to be), probably the most skilled passer in the league, rises to the occasion time after time in the playoffs,and is pretty darn athletic. His one main flaw has always been his jumper but last year he actually shot alot closer to league average.

For someone to some how compare him to Serge is an insult. He's without a doubt in the elite tier of PGs. The being hidden behind 3 HOFers thing is also pretty silly now, they benefit from him alot more than he does them.

No. Rondo is a really solid player.

Ibaka is not. It's a silly comparison.

Also, I'm just really critical of everyone.

There was nothing about last years playoffs to suggest Paul is clearly above everyone else.

Rondo is one of the highest IQ players in the league(when he wants to be), probably the most skilled passer in the league, rises to the occasion time after time in the playoffs,and is pretty darn athletic. His one main flaw has always been his jumper but last year he actually shot alot loser to league average.

For someone to some how compare him to Serge is an insult. He's without a doubt in the elite tier of PGs. The being hidden behind 3 HOFers thing is also pretty silly now, they benefit from him alot more than he does them.
ahh, thanks.

I think Nets upper bowl tickets will be cheaper. Ima be at Barclays, at least 10x.

Does that new NBA ticket website start this season or next?

DominoKid

I joined the darkside and bought a pair of Brons (Blackout 9s) yesterday.
Them shoes are straight cash. They shit on Kobes.

DY_nasty

Rondo is one of the highest IQ players in the league(when he wants to be), probably the most skilled passer in the league, rises to the occasion time after time in the playoffs,and is pretty darn athletic. His one main flaw has always been his jumper but last year he actually shot alot closer to league average.

his IQ??

If he had even a basic understanding of basketball then he'd have realized that he would need to be able to shoot at some point. And how the hell is dribbling in place at the top of the key while a defender sags 6 feet off of him as those 3 HOFers play some of the best off-ball offense in this league anything but him benefitting directly from their impact on the court? His "time and time again" in the playoffs was one series. A series that his team was fully capable of winning, and it was typically because Miami made the deliberate decision to prioritize him even below Brandon Bass at times.

There are plenty of things to compliment Rondo for - but him simply being an unorthodox point guard that is essentially worthless in the final possessions of any close game should not be ignored. As good as he is, he can never be the best player on any team that he's playing on if that team's goal is to win it all. His playstyle and unfixable deficiencies simply wont allow it.

Top Bottom