• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT3| The Barclays Center is covered in rust

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/24111/source-knicks-targeting-sean-williams
A source familiar with the Knicks' free-agency plans told ESPNNewYork.com that the team is considering signing forward-center Sean Williams, who was waived by the Rockets this week.

There has been some speculation that the Knicks are interested in unrestricted free agent Josh Howard, but according to the source, they are not into him. Instead, the team wants to add a big man -- likely to serve as a backup to Amare Stoudemire on the depth chart. Currently, they don't have one.
Saw some footage of him end of last year, dude finally put on some muscle weight. If his head is on straight I like it. Another defensive oriented big, Woodson trying to change the culture of the team ASAP.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Yeah, his IQ.

Even after all these years its amazing how you are still the same shameless hater you've always been. SMFH.

Lets see,

Basic understanding of the game? Its not like several of the best coaches(not including doc) call him the best floor general of the league and is praised for his feel for the game. Its not like he's probably the best PG at controlling offensive sets, has some of the best timings in a set and generally is just a beast at working the Xs and Os. Naw that jumpshot ends-all(despite it being about average this year).
hater lol

just because i don't jack dicks for tricks i'm a hater. okay. the thing is, the things that rondo actually does excel at aren't even discussed because people would rather follow an espn narrative of "what makes rondo great".

Check basketball reference before you start talking about "average". His jumpshot is not average. Even uncontested. He's not a good shooter. Never has been. Call it what it is.

Also, how many coaches are gonna come out and shit on the players? As far as I know, only Sloan, LB, and Pop have ever been ones to do it. Shit, I can dig up what coaches said about Luke Ridnour and Jay Williams. Its as ridiculous as talking about Xs and Os when the Celtics did not have an efficient offense by any means. [/quote]
I also love how you act like Ray and PP didn't take turns at being ass this whole season. You praise them for lasting this long yet somehow ignore the main reason that most people consider(Even the big three themselves) the catalyst of everything they do. Rondo. Shit is retarded. Won't even comment on the dumb ass "one series" claim.
lol

You say this as if the Celtics weren't on their way out of the playoffs when it was just the rondo show. That team came out of the gates looking like ass - and its because their key guys are slow starters now. Out of everyone on that team, Rondo is the most replaceable, and he always has been.

Finally this last game shit. For any team whose final possessions amount to nothing more than one guy dribbling out the clock to pull-up for a contested shot, then no rondo ain't him. For for teams like BOS and SA who will draw up a play and actually try to execute a set at the end then I don't know more than a few players you could want above him handling the rock.
why do you think boston gives up more late game leads than almost any other team in the league?

even boston fans know no lead is safe. their offense is shit. its been shit for 3 years now.

You claim to be this point guard expert put you don't seem to realize that almost no team wins with a PG as their best player. To make it seem like its some knock is that revisionist shit I don't like. Stay free man.
detroit just won with chauncey. wtf

Emwitus

Sometimes i figure people argue just because they don't want to be wrong. No other way to explain these things i'm afraid.

DY_nasty

Sometimes i figure people argue just because they don't want to be wrong. No other way to explain these things i'm afraid.

i love being wrong, it means i learned something. ask me about ***** **** and ask rodeo about failton and ask reilo about oden, sergio, or rudy

until triple u is ready to explain away the -fact- that boston's offense is trash while simultaneously praising Xs and Os that he doesn't understand, he'll just continue being cray and wondering why he got his nick changed.

Triple U

Banned
Dy_nasty said:
Check basketball reference before you start talking about "average". His jumpshot is not average. Even uncontested. He's not a good shooter. Never has been. Call it what it is.
Yeah, I did. I never said he was the best shooter but he is noticeably improving. For instance, he actually shot above league average from 16-23ft while taking more than twice as many attempts. Like I already said, his one knock is his jumpshot, but he has certain spots that work for him and he's improving in that regard.

Also, how many coaches are gonna come out and shit on the players? As far as I know, only Sloan, LB, and Pop have ever been ones to do it. Shit, I can dig up what coaches said about Luke Ridnour and Jay Williams. Its as ridiculous as talking about Xs and Os when the Celtics did not have an efficient offense by any means.

Coaches don't come out and shit on players no, but they also don't go out their way to praise players either. Especially not ones who aren't on their teams.

I don't don't know why the hell you can possibly think Xs and Os don't matter with BOS. That's literally all they are(along with easy points). As far as efficiency goes, they are a top 5 in TS%, FG%, just out of the top 5 3P%, and FT% and are by far the best assisting team. They go at a snails pace but they execute like few others can.

You say this as if the Celtics weren't on their way out of the playoffs when it was just the rondo show. That team came out of the gates looking like ass - and its because their key guys are slow starters now. Out of everyone on that team, Rondo is the most replaceable, and he always has been.

Again with the retarded shit. Your arguments carry no sense of coherency. You go from saying that Rondo is only good because of the three players he plays under(they play alot more under him now but whatever), to "everybody sucks anyway". You also have another HoF level quote in that Rondo is the most replaceable on the team.
why do you think boston gives up more late game leads than almost any other team in the league?

even boston fans know no lead is safe. their offense is shit. its been shit for 3 years now.

Why? Because they are old as hell and can't play amazing ball for 48 minutes straight.

detroit just won with chauncey. wtf

Yeah. Just about ten years ago. Yep. JUST won. In fact the only teams to win with their best player being a PG in 20 years is Detroit(3x).

DY_nasty

where do i say everyone sucks anyway?

they're a slow starting team =/= they all suck

boston didn't even break .500 until nearly 2 months into the season

20 years? how many great point guards have even had championship level talent around them in the last 20 years? this arguing in a vacuum nonsense is why you've never been taken seriously before. from defending asterisks to saying "well, his historically poor shooting as a point guard on a winning team is improving to simply shitty!", its ridiculous.

***Also, you don't even know what you're arguing. Assists =/= offense. Boston, throughout the past two years, has been the example of assists do not equal offense as they've led the league in assists but have been bottoming out in points per game and offensive efficiency. Continuing this argument before you understand that is completely pointless and only serves to show how far off you are.

The reason Boston is terrible offensively is because they don't offensive rebound, but even if they did go after O rebounds, they'd still be pretty below average which shouldn't happen for teams with "elite" PGs. Boston is average in shooting percentage and free throw attempts and one of the worst in the NBA at turning the ball over (which has a lot to do with the fact that there's so much congestion due to Rondo hurting floor spacing). The only major argument Rondo has over guys like Kyle Lowry or Ty Lawson or Ricky Rubio is that he's won more, but how the Celtics win has almost nothing to do with Rondo. The Celtics win with defense and their defense has been better with Rondo injured than with him healthy.

He played better last year because he played like he wasn't terrified of open jumpers and the free throw line, but he's still probably the 27th or 28th best scorer out of all the starting PGs in the NBA (Rubio and Felton being the only guys who are clearly worse at scoring). He plays a ton of minutes, scores very few points, and scores those points on extremely bad efficiency. Rondo is like the only player in the NBA who gets a pass for being bad at scoring (Chandler scores as many points on much much much better efficiency and is killed for his scoring output) and it's just kind of strange. He is one of the best passers and ball handlers in the NBA, but the ability to actually make shots is incredibly important. I think CP3, YNB, and Nash are just better players by a good bit and Rondo shouldn't be considered in that "elite" tier.

DY_nasty

The fact that Rondo gives opposing teams the incredibly rare and powerful ability to double team off of the man handling the ball simply cannot be understated. That is an advantage that is almost never seen in organized basketball.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Rondo is a great PG I think he could score more but considering that he has been around great scorers damn near his whole career I can understand why he hasn't developed his scoring ability.

People might give him grief but his team mates would be even more pissed if he took the volume of shots needed to correct his in game shooting problems

Triple U

Banned
where do i say everyone sucks anyway?

they're a slow starting team =/= they all suck

boston didn't even break .500 until nearly 2 months into the season

20 years? how many great point guards have even had championship level talent around them in the last 20 years? this arguing in a vacuum nonsense is why you've never been taken seriously before. from defending asterisks to saying "well, his historically poor shooting as a point guard on a winning team is improving to simply shitty!", its ridiculous.

***Also, you don't even know what you're arguing. Assists =/= offense. Boston, throughout the past two years, has been the example of assists do not equal offense as they've led the league in assists but have been bottoming out in points per game and offensive efficiency. Continuing this argument before you understand that is completely pointless and only serves to show how far off you are.

Arguing in a vacuum? Thats where you live at pal. Teams with PGs as the best player never win. You can make whatever excuse you need to suite your argument but outside of Magic and Isaiah we can go down the top ten PGOAT list and see how few won a ring as the best player on the team.

I've said what is it three times that Rondo's knock is his jumper, IDK what the hell else you want. Oh and you still have never brought a good reason about the whole asterisk thing, oh wait I know "its always been that way man".

And yes assists are a part of offense. Like a huge part. You have the nerve to criticize Rondo for his "lack of a basic understanding of the game" but you can't discern one of the most fundamental parts of offense. Their pace will never allow them to score at the top of the league, and frankly they are far more interested in playing D.

Gud jab...
The reason Boston is terrible offensively is because they don't offensive rebound, but even if they did go after O rebounds, they'd still be pretty below average which shouldn't happen for teams with "elite" PGs. Boston is average in shooting percentage and free throw attempts and one of the worst in the NBA at turning the ball over (which has a lot to do with the fact that there's so much congestion due to Rondo hurting floor spacing). The only major argument Rondo has over guys like Kyle Lowry or Ty Lawson or Ricky Rubio is that he's won more, but how the Celtics win has almost nothing to do with Rondo. The Celtics win with defense and their defense has been better with Rondo injured than with him healthy.

He played better last year because he played like he wasn't terrified of open jumpers and the free throw line, but he's still probably the 27th or 28th best scorer out of all the starting PGs in the NBA (Rubio and Felton being the only guys who are clearly worse at scoring). He plays a ton of minutes, scores very few points, and scores those points on extremely bad efficiency. Rondo is like the only player in the NBA who gets a pass for being bad at scoring (Chandler scores as many points on much much much better efficiency and is killed for his scoring output) and it's just kind of strange. He is one of the best passers and ball handlers in the NBA, but the ability to actually make shots is incredibly important. I think CP3, YNB, and Nash are just better players by a good bit and Rondo shouldn't be considered in that "elite" tier.
They aren't average in FG%, they are top 5. They don't shoot alot of FTs because there offense doesn't really get them to the rim. Most of the time its jumpshots for the big three in their various spots. Their defense gets better because Bradley is probably the best man defender at the position.

Scoring at the PG is an almost meaningless measure. Its nothing to scoff at but it is hardly some end-all. I mean Nash scored less than a point more than Rondo last season,
while Rondo is the best assist man in the league(more or less). Rondo gets a "pass" because he's so damn good at his job.

You may value scoring as some end-all but don't be surprised that others don't. The vast-majority of fans consider Rondo an elite PG, the vast majority of coaches do, the vast majority of players do. I honestly don't even know what else to rebut when you consider WB an elite PG.

DY_nasty

Arguing in a vacuum? Thats where you live at pal. Teams with PGs as the best player never win. You can make whatever excuse you need to suite your argument but outside of Magic and Isaiah we can go down the top ten PGOAT list and see how few won a ring as the best player on the team.

I've said what is it three times that Rondo's knock is his jumper, IDK what the hell else you want. Oh and you still have never brought a good reason about the whole asterisk thing, oh wait I know "its always been that way man".

And yes assists are a part of offense. Like a huge part. You have the nerve to criticize Rondo for his "lack of a basic understanding of the game" but you can't discern one of the most fundamental parts of offense. Their pace will never allow them to score at the top of the league, and frankly they are far more interested in playing D.

Assists don't automatically equal more points. I pointed you directly to the perfect example and instead of even attempting to question if its your ass you're speaking out of, you stick to your backwards guns and fuck a chicken.

Yes, assists are nice. They're usually the mark of a good offense. But they're a byproduct of good offense - not the direct cause.

You weren't even talking about Boston's defense until IWMTB brought it up either.

DY_nasty

also, no one is saying that an elite point guard needs to be a premium scoring threat - however, it is impossible to be an elite anything if you can't force your opposing team to fully commit to guarding you at all times.

on top of that, your offensive efficiency doesn't increase by simply shooting more.

Triple U

Banned
Assists don't automatically equal more points. I pointed you directly to the perfect example and instead of even attempting to question if its your ass you're speaking out of, you stick to your backwards guns and fuck a chicken.

Yes, assists are nice. They're usually the mark of a good offense. But they're a byproduct of good offense - not the direct cause.

You weren't even talking about Boston's defense until IWMTB brought it up either.

An assist can only happen when the ball is scored. You're gonna talk about me living in vacuum world but your "perfect example" is on the polar opposite of the spectrum. You're gonna criticize BOS for PPG while ignoring the fact that that intentionally play one of the slowest paces in the league(which I already pointed out). You're gonna criticize them for efficiency and when I posted numbers that show that they were one of the most efficient. You're gonna go on about backwards guns and fucking chickens or what the hell ever.
Just stop bro, live free.

Retardism thats that shit I don't like...

DY_nasty

An assist can only happen when the ball is scored. You're gonna talk about me living in vacuum world but your "perfect example" is on the polar opposite of the spectrum. You're gonna criticize BOS for PPG while ignoring the fact that that intentionally play one of the slowest paces in the league(which I already pointed out). You're gonna criticize them for efficiency and when I posted numbers that show that they were one of the most efficient. You're gonna go on about backwards guns and fucking chickens or what the hell ever.
Just stop bro, live free.

Retardism thats that shit I don't like...

There are numbers for pace, offensive efficiency, assists per game, points per game, points per possession, offensive rating, etc - all of which can be measured with rondo on the floor and off the floor

You haven't so much as glanced at what there relationships are with one another or even how they could help your own argument here.

82games.com
basketball-reference.com
espn, nba
popcornmachine.net

plenty more than i can name - but you haven't even looked.

just for kicks, check them out. being wrong doesn't hurt nearly as much as you think

Triple U

Banned
There are numbers for pace, offensive efficiency, assists per game, points per game, points per possession, offensive rating, etc - all of which can be measured with rondo on the floor and off the floor

You haven't so much as glanced at what there relationships are with one another or even how they could help your own argument here.

82games.com
basketball-reference.com
espn, nba
popcornmachine.net

plenty more than i can name - but you haven't even looked.

just for kicks, check them out. being wrong doesn't hurt nearly as much as you think
Yeah, I did. I mean, I didn't pull the numbers out of my ass. You were saying?

DY_nasty

Yeah, I did. I mean, I didn't pull the numbers out of my ass. You were saying?

Then why do you think I brought up the relationship between assists and offensive efficiency, assists and points per game, and points per possession / half court offense right off the bat?

SamuraiX-

Hold the fuck up.

MGS:GZ is open world?!?

:O

Always gotta be careful with Kojima though. The initial planning stages of his games are always more ambitious by orders of magnitude compared to the final product.

There's no such thing as too much Metal Gear though. :)

Triple U

Banned
Then why do you think I brought up the relationship between assists and offensive efficiency, assists and points per game, and points per possession / half court offense right off the bat?

Cuz you like to go off on tangents that really have little value to the convo at hand?

DY_nasty

Cuz you like to go off on tangents that really have little value to the convo at hand?

Seriously.

Do you know the relationships between those things? Because if you don't, you're Skip Bayless.

Boston is average in shooting percentage and free throw attempts
they're fifth in the league in FG%,7th in 3 point FG% and 8th in true FG%. the problem is all that stuff you said,(last in the league in offensive rebounding, 5th in the league in turnover) and they're average at finishing at the rim...when they even get there, they're offensive presence in the paint is awful. still, they were only one game away from the NBA finals. and they're outstanding defensively.

Kwhit10

One of the reasons Boston is consistently at the bottom of the league in offensive rebounding is because they prioritize getting back and setting up on defense before all the younger and more athletic teams beat them down the court.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
yV1WG.jpg

Eastern Conference Championship banner! Hell yes!

Newspaper ads have to be the most cliche shit ever. Even worse when its coming from Dwight. Gotta love how his PR people used pictures of him with kids, don't boo this man - he loves helping children!

Newspaper ads have to be the most cliche shit ever. Even worse when its coming from Dwight. Gotta love how his PR people used pictures of him with kids, don't boo this man - he loves helping children!

Well I do think his helping in the community shouldn't be overlooked (even though basketball and that should go hand in hand)

I was going to post this earlier, but I figured I'd get "lol Miami Heat banners" thrown at me again from the same people

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
his IQ??

If he had even a basic understanding of basketball then he'd have realized that he would need to be able to shoot at some point. And how the hell is dribbling in place at the top of the key while a defender sags 6 feet off of him as those 3 HOFers play some of the best off-ball offense in this league anything but him benefitting directly from their impact on the court? His "time and time again" in the playoffs was one series. A series that his team was fully capable of winning, and it was typically because Miami made the deliberate decision to prioritize him even below Brandon Bass at times.

There are plenty of things to compliment Rondo for - but him simply being an unorthodox point guard that is essentially worthless in the final possessions of any close game should not be ignored. As good as he is, he can never be the best player on any team that he's playing on if that team's goal is to win it all. His playstyle and unfixable deficiencies simply wont allow it.

Even GP was starting to find a jumper and a post game by this time in his career..

And Kidd was a post threat at least at this time...

DCX

DCX
yV1WG.jpg

Eastern Conference Championship banner! Hell yes!

It would have been more effective if he did one with YOLO on it.

DCX

DY_nasty

why do you guys hate rondo so much?he is like a mini steve nash in terms of passing and pg play.

Because people have to guard Steve Nash. Also, Steve Nash is why Steve Nash teams win. Rondo isn't the 2nd most important player on his team. Never has been. When he's not on the court, Boston doesn't suffer nearly as much as people assume.

I hate Westbrook. But I'd rather have him than Rondo.

Sanjuro

Then again, championship teams have shown that having a good point guard (in terms of running an offense) is kind of irrelevant if you have elite scorers.

Sure, but if your point guard is leading the team in most scoring categories, it's says more about his ability at the position or the team itself.

Triple U

Banned
Because people have to guard Steve Nash. Also, Steve Nash is why Steve Nash teams win. Rondo isn't the 2nd most important player on his team. Never has been. When he's not on the court, Boston doesn't suffer nearly as much as people assume.

I hate Westbrook. But I'd rather have him than Rondo.

This guy.

Second highest +/-, behind KG on the team of course but nah he aint shit.

Was actually a top 5-6 player this postseason but naw he aint shit.

This PS he averaged 17.3pts(.3 behind CP3 on at about 4 percentage points higher), 11.9 assists(led the league), the next guy closest in total assists was 103 behind), 2.4 steals, 6.8rbs(more than guys like Marc Gasol and Taj Gibson) but naw......

You guys are hilarious. Top 5 in PPG for PGs(while scoring at the second best efficiency of that group) for someone who is supposed to be "the worst offensive player at that position" but still doesn't fit in your standards for an elite PG.

You all underating players is nothing new but sometimes the shit that gets accepted as a consensus here hits you in the face with a ton of bricks sometimes by how nonsensical it is.

Pro-tip: Playing the tough critcic guy doesn't really make you seem more knowledgeable...

Chalmers massive ego is awesome, if he played on the Jordan Bulls Michael would've bitched him so many times by now. I don't even want to think what Kobe would've done to him if he was a Laker.

Top Bottom