• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT3| The Barclays Center is covered in rust

Flash

Chalmers massive ego is awesome, if he played on the Jordan Bulls Michael would've bitched him so many times by now. I don't even want to think what Kobe would've done to him if he was a Laker.

thing is i don't think they'd actually put a dent in him.... lol that guy gives no fucks

That lineup might happen in the playoffs but I highly doubt it. Wade doesn't like guarding/being a point guard as a starter.

Chalmers fits really well with the starting unit, as long as he isn't being Wario.

h3ro

Could someone post the leak then? Kind of curious.
hfRDJ-1024x630.png

Love the colors and simpler design. Not a fan of the less arched city name and the trim not wrapping all the way around the arm holes.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
This guy.

Second highest +/-, behind KG on the team of course but nah he aint shit.
Learn what you're arguing.

Drew Gooden was one of the league leader in +/- at one point. I pointed you in the right direction two times already.

Was actually a top 5-6 player this postseason but naw he aint shit.

This PS he averaged 17.3pts(.3 behind CP3 on at about 4 percentage points higher), 11.9 assists(led the league), the next guy closest in total assists was 103 behind), 2.4 steals, 6.8rbs(more than guys like Marc Gasol and Taj Gibson) but naw......

You guys are hilarious. Top 5 in PPG for PGs(while scoring at the second best efficiency of that group) for someone who is supposed to be "the worst offensive player at that position" but still doesn't fit in your standards for an elite PG.

You all underating players is nothing new but sometimes the shit that gets accepted as a consensus here hits you in the face with a ton of bricks sometimes by how nonsensical it is.

Pro-tip: Playing the tough critcic guy doesn't really make you seem more knowledgeable...
So, again, I gotta laugh - because I, and another person who was patient enough to type out a response to your "espn told me rondo was good cuz he good" argument, find you right back at where we were less than a page up.

Offensive Efficiency.

Look that shit up.

The fact that teams have to *gasp* guard Steve Nash and that the fact that teams literally double team off of the man with the ball vs Rondo.

Assists =/= Offense. They're a byproduct of good offense.

Its okay to be wrong. I was wrong about Hayward, Kanter, Bayless, Vinny Del Negro, and Webster, etc - but the thing is, it doesn't hurt that much to admit it and look at why I was wrong. Your argument, which has repeated itself twice now, has revolved around those very key things that you've yet to even look up or acknowledge. I'm not about shitting on people like I used to. I'm actually pointing you in the exact direction where you need to go to understand specifically why you're wrong.

If you don't want to look at that and keep fucking chickens though, that's on you. It makes you a stubborn idiot.

where does deron williams line up on the point guard list, i think the consensus here is that he's great but when I was watching the olympics this year he wasn't all that great to me. chris paul got more minutes and was playing better.

is he better than rondo or steve nash, also is steve nash considered the best?

one more, what do you guys mean you say +/-?

h3ro

yea the nyk is nice but the new one is ok. What's wrong with black? It looked nice.
Knicks colors are based on the NY state flag.

Adding black trim to a team's unis is the Poochie of uniform modifications.

I don't mind the new secodary logo but I'll miss the NYC token based design.

giri

wait is someone really trying to say rondo is better on offense than nash?

i'm glad everyone else seems to have cleared that up.

Nash was so good.

Triple U

Banned
I absolutely love your ability to type a wall of text and say absolutely nothing.

Dy_nasty said:
Learn what you're arguing.

Drew Gooden was one of the league leader in +/- at one point. I pointed you in the right direction two times already.

LOL I know what Im arguing. I also know that implying BOS is somehow better with Rondo off the floor is the the dumbest shit I've heard today. Oh wait it was this,

Rondo is the Serge Ibaka of point guards.

Dy_nasty said:
So, again, I gotta laugh - because I, and another person who was patient enough to type out a response to your "espn told me rondo was good cuz he good" argument, find you right back at where we were less than a page up.

Oh I feel so honored. Oh and my argument has shit to do with ESPN, its more like the vast majority of anybody who watches or plays basketball or coaches basketball seems to agree in consensus to something your special self just can't seem to accept.

The fact that teams have to *gasp* guard Steve Nash and that the fact that teams literally double team off of the man with the ball vs Rondo.

Assists =/= Offense. They're a byproduct of good offense.

Judging by the numbers, this hasn't been smart at all. It looked smart when Kobe did it in 2010 but that was then and this is now. Letting a player torch you for the sake of being able to cheat a little more on other players is kind of dumb. PP and Ray were pretty much ass anyway.

Its okay to be wrong. I was wrong about Hayward, Kanter, Bayless, Vinny Del Negro, and Webster, etc - but the thing is, it doesn't hurt that much to admit it and look at why I was wrong. Your argument, which has repeated itself twice now, has revolved around those very key things that you've yet to even look up or acknowledge. I'm not about shitting on people like I used to. I'm actually pointing you in the exact direction where you need to go to understand specifically why you're wrong.

If you don't want to look at that and keep fucking chickens though, that's on you. It makes you a stubborn idiot.

Yeah, you're wrong alot. I get it, its not really surprising at this point. Your ambiguity and general ability to say nothing in your posts is amazing. Other than the suspect jumpshot, you haven't brought anything relevant at all to the discussion yet somehow maintain that you are posting nothing but cold harded facts and how someone somebody should be thankful for you making them dumber with the shit you write. I still don't know what the hell your obsession is with fucking chickens. You've yet to post a "key thing" yet and when "key things" are brought to you, you close your eyes cover your ears and somehow imply that you are right.If anything makes anybody look like an idiot, its that shit.

They do say ignorance is bliss though so keep those eyes closed.

DY_nasty

Saying nothing at all - because you can't look up the definition of offensive efficiency.

People double off of Rondo while he has the ball in every single game he's ever played since college.

Why are pointing at Kobe in 2010 like that was a one time thing? It happens in every single game he plays. Why do you think Rondo sitting just in front of the free throw line, dribbling in place happens?

Its right there for every single spectator to see. Has been for years. The Ibaka of Point Guards makes absolute sense as well. For all the good that Rondo/Ibaka do while on the court, the flaws of their own "strengths" serve to hold them and their team back from being as good as they could be.

Don't even start on the ignorance is bliss thing. You're the one acting like assists = offense while the team you're propping up to support that argument has been the textbook example of assists do not equal offense for the past three seasons. Boston has been THE example of this relationship for the past 2-3 years. But you're not even willing to look at it all. You're just saying that you like Rondo a lot. Cuz stuff. Which is fine. I got favorite players too. But I'm not going to go around saying DJ is a top 10 point guard without presenting something to back it up. And I definitely won't be doing that if the very argument to back that up is in direct conflict with the point that I'm trying to make.

DY_nasty

where does deron williams line up on the point guard list, i think the consensus here is that he's great but when I was watching the olympics this year he wasn't all that great to me. chris paul got more minutes and was playing better.

is he better than rondo or steve nash, also is steve nash considered the best?

one more, what do you guys mean you say +/-?
Deron is great. But after last year... I just don't know. The lockout coupled with the dropping give a fuck from his contract situation made it really hard to say that he's better than a healthy Chris Paul.

Also, +/-, in its rawest form is just a measure of saying "while x player was on the floor, their team created a margin of __ points". Its an okay measure after a single game or so, but without context its not that valuable of a statistic.

diehard

Fleer
Deron picked up bad habits from a crappy team and a below average coach. We'll see if he can look better with what should be a decent team this year.

Rondo is fundamentally flawed. It's not hard to understand. His Jumpshot is 24 hour fitness league bad and that alone will keep him from being a player you want on your team. Too often teams can play 5 on 4 on defense because Rondo shooting a J is the most desirable outcome of a celtics possession and that should never be the case for a guard. That used to be perfect for Ray/Pierce/KG, a pass first PG who not only gets off on getting assists but has little means to actually hit an open shot. With Pierce already devolving from Blastoise to Squirtle, Rayray taking his talents to south beach and KG hanging on to his health for dear life, it's not unreasonable to think, if Rondo doesn't improve his game, we(see:ESPN) will be wondering why we thought he was so good not so long ago.

At least he isn't overpaid.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I love Rondo a ton and think hes generally really underrated and has been his entire career but the Nash comparison is awful.

Nash is one of the best shooters in the league, year in and year out. Rondo is uh not very good at that.

Triple U

Banned
Saying nothing at all - because you can't look up the definition of offensive efficiency.

People double off of Rondo while he has the ball in every single game he's ever played since college.

Why are pointing at Kobe in 2010 like that was a one time thing? It happens in every single game he plays. Why do you think Rondo sitting just in front of the free throw line, dribbling in place happens?

Its right there for every single spectator to see. Has been for years. The Ibaka of Point Guards makes absolute sense as well. For all the good that Rondo/Ibaka do while on the court, the flaws of their own "strengths" serve to hold them and their team back from being as good as they could be.

Don't even start on the ignorance is bliss thing. You're the one acting like assists = offense while the team you're propping up to support that argument has been the textbook example of assists do not equal offense for the past three seasons. Boston has been THE example of this relationship for the past 2-3 years. But you're not even willing to look at it all. You're just saying that you like Rondo a lot. Cuz stuff. Which is fine. I got favorite players too. But I'm not going to go around saying DJ is a top 10 point guard without presenting something to back it up. And I definitely won't be doing that if the very argument to back that up is in direct conflict with the point that I'm trying to make.

Nothing at all because you say absolutely nothing at all. I really don't know what your hard on for OEFF is about and I don't know why you treat it as if it is something more than a stat that can be misleading and skewed to all hell.

The Ibaka comparison is retarded as fuck. Rondo is a top 5 PG, Ibaka........blocks shots.

The whole assists thing was one minor facet of a point I brought up about BOS's offense, with IWMTB. Why you are trying your damnest to focus on that trivial aspect is beyond me. You still ignore every other meaningful thing because you have nothing factual and objective to counter with(Oh I forgot, OEFF).

And um, what argument is in conflict with my point?
dIEHARD said:
saying he is the Ibaka of PG's does not mean he is Ibaka tier... it's a simile

what tier exactly are you saying he is?
He's in the top tier of PGS...

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
If Spoelstra has half a brain he should at least give a:

Wade
Ray
Bron
Bosh
?(Whoever)

Line-up a chance.
they have tried Wade at point and well he is back to SG

Ray-Ray could have ran it 8 years ago..

Triple U

Banned
Rondo is fundamentally flawed. It's not hard to understand. His Jumpshot is 24 hour fitness league bad and that alone will keep him from being a player you want on your team. Too often teams can play 5 on 4 on defense because Rondo shooting a J is the most desirable outcome of a celtics possession and that should never be the case for a guard. That used to be perfect for Ray/Pierce/KG, a pass first PG who not only gets off on getting assists but has little means to actually hit an open shot. With Pierce already devolving from Blastoise to Squirtle, Rayray taking his talents to south beach and KG hanging on to his health for dear life, it's not unreasonable to think, if Rondo doesn't improve his game, we(see:ESPN) will be wondering why we thought he was so good not so long ago.

At least he isn't overpaid.

Rondos one knock is his jumpshot, I've said it maybe three times today. That will keep him from being the best PG but to act like he isn't one of the very best in the league is ridiculous.

And um yeah he was a top 5 PG scoring the ball this PS at one of the best FG%....

I love Rondo a ton and think hes generally really underrated and has been his entire career but the Nash comparison is awful.

Nash is one of the best shooters in the league, year in and year out. Rondo is uh not very good at that.
Nobody compared Rondo to Nash. At all. Like not even once

I would say he's not in the highest tier, a decent amount beneath actually, but semantics adn all that.

In no particular order:

Top tier:
CP
Deron
Parker
Rose
Nash

2nd tier:
YNB
Rondo
Rubio
Kyrie
Lawson

I think Lawson/Kyrie/Rubio have a better chance of entering that top tier than Rondo, Rose could fall down if he can't fully recover from his knee injury and last year may have been the last year Nash could be put into that top tier as well.

Blackace

Also Rondo is a great talent... but when you have zero jump shot, and you are a liability in close games because teams can play hack-a-rondo he is like a career 60% shooter from the line

I can't call top-tier.

I wish he would add to game because he could be totally dominate

Also Rondo is a great talent... but when you have zero jump shot, and you are a liability in close games because teams can play hack-a-rondo he is like a career 60% shooter from the line

I can't call top-tier.

I wish he would add to game because he could be totally dominate

Concise and accurate.

DY_nasty

Nothing at all because you say absolutely nothing at all. I really don't know what your hard on for OEFF is about and I don't know why you treat it as if it is something more than a stat that can be misleading and skewed to all hell.

The Ibaka comparison is retarded as fuck. Rondo is a top 5 PG, Ibaka........blocks shots.

The whole assists thing was one minor facet of a point I brought up about BOS's offense, with IWMTB. Why you are trying your damnest to focus on that trivial aspect is beyond me. You still ignore every other meaningful thing because you have nothing factual and objective to counter with(Oh I forgot, OEFF).

And um, what argument is in conflict with my point?

I keep going back to OEFF because you don't know what it is. Also, you brought up assists before IWMTB jumped in. It was the first thing you hopped to when I said that Boston's offense has been shit for years now. Since then, I, and others, have laid out reasons, numbers, and resources telling you exactly that. Also, I didn't just bring up OEFF. Feel free to look at the post where I told you specifically that your reasoning around assists was silly and the look at the other stats that I referred to. Even when you obviously neglected the option of looking up those statistics and seeing how they were relevant to the topic (and how they could even possibly help your own argument), you instead reached for another, Pace, and tried to throw it out there as if it didn't go directly back to what I was saying about OEFF and Point Per Possession.

Its not "saying nothing". Its waiting for you to catch up - because I don't even need to add anything new until you start sounding like you even vaguely understand where the argument even is right now.

And like everyone but you saw, Ibaka/Rondo is a simile. Ibaka blocking shots and being seen as a defensive juggernaut by casual fans / Rondo racking up assists and being seen as a floor general by casuals. They're both fundamentally broken players.

Triple U

Banned
I would say he's not in the highest tier, a decent amount beneath actually, but semantics adn all that.

In no particular order:

Top tier:
CP
Deron
Parker
Rose
Nash

2nd tier:
YNB
Rondo
Rubio
Kyrie
Lawson

I think Lawson/Kyrie/Rubio have a better chance of entering that top tier than Rondo, Rose could fall down if he can't fully recover from his knee injury and last year may have been the last year Nash could be put into that top tier as well.

LOL. He's above Rose and Parker. Rose barely knows how to run the very basic sets that CHI runs. I would say he's a better player but no he isn't a better PG.

Same with Parker, he's a better scorer but Rondo beats him in alot of other areas. When they played each other this year Rondo outclassed TP in every way imaginable.

LOL. He's above Rose and Parker. Rose barely knows how to run the very basic sets that CHI runs. I would say he's a better player but no he isn't a better PG.

Same with Parker, he's a better scorer but Rondo beats him in alot of other areas. When they played each other this year Rondo outclassed TP in every way imaginable.

Rose has similar deficiencies as Rondo, shakey J and shitty 3 pt shot and unlike Rondo, he is not very good at running an offense, but I'd take him over Rondo. Rondo requires good pieces around him to be any good, at least Rose can get his if nothing else and he can hit his freethrows.

I'd take Parker over Rondo without hesitation.

DY_nasty

Rondo could've walked the same career path as Tony Parker.

But he was scared to shoot in the offseason too.

Blackace

Huh
Outside of the players names everything in this post is wrong

Amazing really

DY_nasty

He's one of the few point guards in the league that can be completely shutdown by a zone too. Unless Pierce is in to bust it up, Boston gets hit hard. Its one of the reasons Bradley became so important last year.

Blackace

Rondo could've walked the same career path as Tony Parker.

But he was scared to shoot in the offseason too.
lol

Telling you Gary should have been his role model

With his wingspan No PG would have been able to stop him on the block

giri

Rose has similar deficiencies as Rondo, shakey J and shitty 3 pt shot and unlike Rondo, he is not very good at running an offense, but I'd take him over Rondo. Rondo requires good pieces around him to be any good, at least Rose can get his if nothing else and he can hit his freethrows.

I'd take Parker over Rondo without hesitation.

Rose's J improved a lot actually. He also seems one of the few guys in the league determined to improve his J while he's young, not when his athleticism has left him.

Rose develops that .380 3pt shot and hits it all de time... he just becomes so lethal.

What offence? The chicago coaches have been absolutely terrible at installing an offensive system. Despite rose having asked for it.

Also, yeah, Parker is better than rondo right now. Much better.

TP is what rondo should try to become, same for YNB. TP when he was young had his flaws, but has out grown them. TP was extremely lucky in that he had Pop to do that with though. Who knows about the other 2.

thekad

Banned
^ chicago had the fifth best offense in the league despite not having anyone who can create their own shot (except for rose who was hurt)

point guards better than rondo:

cp3
deron
nash
rose
ynb
parker
lowry

kyrie and rubio will probably be better than rondo next year, too

The reason Boston is terrible offensively is because they don't offensive rebound, but even if they did go after O rebounds, they'd still be pretty below average which shouldn't happen for teams with "elite" PGs. Boston is average in shooting percentage and free throw attempts and one of the worst in the NBA at turning the ball over (which has a lot to do with the fact that there's so much congestion due to Rondo hurting floor spacing). The only major argument Rondo has over guys like Kyle Lowry or Ty Lawson or Ricky Rubio is that he's won more, but how the Celtics win has almost nothing to do with Rondo. The Celtics win with defense and their defense has been better with Rondo injured than with him healthy.

Boston had the 7th best TS% last season. Offensive Rebounding is pretty much mostly the reason why Boston's offense sucked (with high TO%). Offensive rebounding is correlated with higher shooting percentages (for obvious reasons).

Give Boston average offensive rebounding. 1 Oreb is roughly worth 1 point. That's roughly 4 points per game for Boston at a slow pace. They jump from 99 pp100 to at least 104, in the top 10 around Miami last season.

And don't forget boston had a terrible bench. 97pp100 with Rondo out of the game, better than only charlotte as a team.

I hate defending Rondo, because I agree with a lot of Dy's comments (but I think most teams can't exploit his glaring weakness).

But to blame Boston's offensive struggles on average on pretty much anything but offensive rebounding is incorrect. They would easily be a top 10 offensive team with average offensive rebounding.

Top Bottom