• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT3| The Barclays Center is covered in rust

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Except for bron to do what makes him "great" he needs to dominate the ball all game. Essentially what Melo does.

I get the others, they're complementary pieces, but saying you'd take bron but not melo is just bias for bias sake.
Except melo has regressed as scorer

Dude is still awesome but doesn't seem as natural or in the flow of the game that used to

Could be a coaching issue

giri

Except melo has regressed as scorer

Dude is still awesome but doesn't seem as natural or in the flow of the game that used to

Could be a coaching issue

I'd have agreed before last season. In Denver he was good at playing in the flow, and not needing to iso to get his.

Last seasons was pretty hard to watch though.

Blackace

I'd have agreed before last season. In Denver he was good at playing in the flow, and not needing to iso to get his.

Last seasons was pretty hard to watch though.
He looked Ok this summer. So he could come back

Maybe playing with Kidd will help

Melo needs a floor general
I know you are a Laker fan now

But don't be a "Laker" fan

Omega

Banned
you either build a defensive team around Melo like the 2000 76ers (but even Ivy gave you more effort on the defensive end and 5 assists a game) or you put him somewhere where he isnt the top dog. hes seems fine when hes deferring to other players, like at the Olympics.

pretty much

Melo is a fantastic player and you would be out of your mind to argue otherwise.

He's just not a franchise player/#1 option

T Dollarz

I think Melo can be the best player on a team, but needs someone close to his talent level at one or two other positions. He just doesn't have that now. Amare is not that guy anymore. He needs a distributor. Put Rondo on the Knicks and that team is in the conference finals. They could also use a tad more players to upgrade the role players. But yeah, they're about a point guard short and would need Amare to actually play good.

Blackace

pretty much

Melo is a fantastic player and you would be out of your mind to argue otherwise.

This isn't true even franchise players like bird needed good PGs to win.

giri

I think Melo can be the best player on a team, but needs someone close to his talent level at one or two other positions. He just doesn't have that now. Amare is not that guy anymore. He needs a distributor. Put Rondo on the Knicks and that team is in the conference finals. They could also use a tad more players to upgrade the role players. But yeah, they're about a point guard short and would need Amare to actually play good.

So does just about every chip team for the last decade.

Im still just kind of baffled the Knicks didnt keep J-Lin. and that they think Raymond Felton is going to actually make their team better. Not even trolling, lol. Can the Knicks afford Jose Calderon? He's 10 million a year, but he wants out of Tdot now that Lowry's our starting point man. whatever flaws the guy has, he's still an elite distributor and a solid perimeter shooter.

Blackace

Im still just kind of baffled the Knicks didnt keep J-Lin. and that they think Raymond Felton is going to actually make their team better. Not even trolling, lol. Can the Knicks afford Jose Calderon? He's 10 million a year, but he wants out of Tdot now that Lowry's our starting point man. whatever flaws the guy has, he's still an elite distributor and a solid perimeter shooter.
He could fit well

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

The more I think about Lin the more I think they let him go to appease the Ego's of other players on the team. Keep in mind they did bring Kidd to mentor him but to pay him 15 million on year 3 while there trying to tell other players to sign for less to help to keep the team under the cap wouldn't happen.

T Dollarz

Do you guys think Melo is a better player now than he was in say '07 with Denver? I'd say the styles were different, but ultimately lead to him being a good but not GREAT player.

giri

He could fit well

I don't think it's so much a anti-Lin thing as a, they're sort of sick of over paying role players to appease crowds. Didn't they get Felton for a fair bit less?

Knicks also do need defense out of their PG, with Amare backing the PG up, so calderon wouldn't fit well at all.

Jose also seems to have lost a step also, and he didn't have much to begin with. Not that his game is really based on athleticism.

Do you guys think Melo is a better player now than he was in say '07 with Denver? I'd say the styles were different, but ultimately lead to him being a good but not GREAT player.

He was better in 06/07 and 07/08 than he has been in either 10/11 or 11/12, there's not a huge difference though 11/12 was a particularly bad year for him.

Healthy he can still ball, 10/11 proved he can still get his in a shitty offense even if it doesn't translate to wins.

I think that team needs one to get them to gel as a team. But yeah, he needs a strong PG.
The decision to deal Chauncey was needed, but boy Knicks had no backup plan at PG. Kidd definitely will help and don't sleep in Felton; keep in mind he's got mad respect from Amare for 2010. Carmelo maybe starts dissing Felton, Amare swoops in.
pretty much

Yeah, you got to surround him with defenders and some other alphas. I really like the moves Knicks made in FA.
Amar'e I think can regain some of his mojo, dude has put in work all summer long (as opposed to the lockout where he couldn't pick up a basketball). The thing is Amar'e NEEDS to demand to ball, he was passive last year due to Zombie-itis. But you think Carmelo's respecting Rondo? Dude alienated Ray Allen, you need a vet with rings (preferably) at PG to get Carmelo to fall in line (Billups, Kidd).

pilonv1

d7f5813afc4b11e19be31231381b5339_7.jpg

Hot stuff

Nah, he can't have an aged point guard. Needs a young guy to run the floor.
felton.jpg

"That's why I'm bringing back the JANK DRIBBLE yo!"
Do Knick fans expect Kidd to be anything more than a voice to rip into Felton when he gets too free?
Don't worry, if Felton does Mike Woodson will glue his ass to the bench.

Remember, this is a much different team than what Felton had in 2010. He may not even be 3rd option on the starters.

EDIT: lemme qualify what Syphon said by saying Kidd can do that for 15-20 minutes a game.

I think I should be able to argue about how Al Jefferson is better than Melo at this point.

Nah, he can't have an aged point guard. Needs a young guy to run the floor.

Ty Lawson became one of the best PGs in the NBA after Melo was traded, not sure it was that much of a coincidence.

he can still play defense,pass and rebound.if you leave him open on 3s he will make them.

He can pass, hit an open 3 at a good rate and he still rebounds well for his position.

He can't do much else, he looked done all of last season. I hate to think of what he would look like without leveling up his 3 point shot these last few years. He's reiant on it these days.

He's going to be the backup's back up though right?

He can pass, hit an open 3 at a good rate and he still rebounds well for his position.

He can't do much else, he looked done all of last season. I hate to think of what he would look like without leveling up his 3 point shot these last few years. He's reiant on it these days.

He's going to be the backup's back up though right?
He looked done because like most of Dallas he was out of basketball shape and the lockout schedule killed him. Actually having days off, no b2b2b's and a solid 3rd PG should help him.

Felton
Kidd
Prignoli

Blackace

He looked done because like most of Dallas he was out of basketball shape and the lockout schedule killed him. Actually having days off, no b2b2b's and a solid 3rd PG should help him.

Felton
Kidd
Prignoli

no one on Dallas looked like never Fullton

no one on Dallas looked like never Fullton
... wtf did you mean to type?

If you saying no one on Dallas ever looked like Felton, you're right. RayRay wasn't about that Portland life. Playing on that team made him realize how much he missed NY.

rfeltoncopy-1.jpg

I'm not even trolling, he legit said this.

Felton
Kidd
Prignoli

You can blame part of it on chip hangover, but a good amount of it is the fact that Kidd was 18 when straight outta compton dropped.

edit: My mistake he was actually "only" 16.

Top Bottom