• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT3| The Barclays Center is covered in rust

According to Cho, when he left his job as the Trail Blazers GM to come to Charlotte 15 months ago, his marching orders from Jordan were simple and specific -- build through the draft and get free agents to complement the youngsters and put them over the top. The old Jordan, by his own admission, believed that if he cleared enough cap space, he could personally lure the likes of Chris Paul and Dwight Howard

lol where the fuck is dy

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
lol where the fuck is dy

Jordan actually did put together a package for Chris Paul two years ago. It was some crazy deal to bring in Paul and Eric Gordon or something... can't remember the details, but the guy who dropped the deals with PHX and GS was on top of it. Shit was cray.

Glad we got Cho though.

I´m very late to this, but just read the news, thank god for the Seattle arena deal.

I can´t believe it´s happening. If Hansen is doing this, then i´m sure he has a franchise up in his sleeve ready to go.

I wonder who is it.

I would prefer an expansion team, but if this doesn´t happen, best case scenario would be the Hornets going back to Charlotte where they belong, the Sonics being in Seattle, and if people in New Orleans really want basketball, they can always try to get their Jazz back. (kidding, buying teams and relocating sucks).

giri

I´m very late to this, but just read the news, thank god for the Seattle arena deal.

I can´t believe it´s happening. If Hansen is doing this, then i´m sure he has a franchise up in his sleeve ready to go.

I wonder who is it.

I would prefer an expansion team, but if this doesn´t happen, best case scenario would be the Hornets going back to Charlotte where they belong, the Sonics being in Seattle, and if people in New Orleans really want basketball, they can always try to get their Jazz back. (kidding, buying teams and relocating sucks).

New hornets owner isn't letting the team move.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Lob City

Lakers are going to have to pay the rent all alone

Blackace

Is that a wise move?

Kemp might single handedly kill blake in the practice gym if he turns into a whiny bitch again.

Balmer plans to mate them to make a super Kemp.

That's what I am hearing anyways, per multiple sources...

charsace

I wonder who is it.

Gonna be the Kings or small chance of the Grizz moving. No more expansion teams, at least not in the US.

giri

Gonna be the Kings or small chance of the Grizz moving. No more expansion teams, at least not in the US.

The Hawks are still for sale, no? I thought it might be Hawks or Kings

Hawks got sold already last season iirc.

Grizz just signed an extended lease with ridiculous penalties if they leave. like 100M+ penalties if they try and break the lease in the next 15 yrs or some shit.

Or was that the Wolves?

I'm pretty sure Memphis locked up the Grizz for another decade after Pera lost a lot of money and all of his leverage. The Pacers and Nuggets are the franchises in the worst shape financially in the NBA anyway.

Blackace

I'm pretty sure Memphis locked up the Grizz for another decade after Pera lost a lot of money and all of his leverage. The Pacers and Nuggets are the franchises in the worst shape financially in the NBA anyway.

What was the last ABA team to move?

Nets don't really count..

giri

I knew the pacers were not doing well financially

but the nuggets? where'd you read that, do you remember? i know they sent NeNe away regretting his contract... but they always seemed to have a strong/healthy home crowd.

Not doubting you, just curious for more info.

T Dollarz

I owned with Nash & Stoudemire defensively, but good lord Payton & Schrempf were tearing through my defense like I wasn't even there...

I owned with Nash & Stoudemire defensively, but good lord Payton & Schrempf were tearing through my defense like I wasn't even there...

r4Yh6.jpg

jbug617

Banned
Apparently there is a Harden watch till October 31. Thunder believe he will get the max from some team (Rockets or Mavs) if he gets to free agency.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Apparently there is a Harden watch till October 31. Thunder believe he will get the max from some team (Rockets or Mavs) if he gets to free agency.

It's pretty much assured that he'll get the max from someone so if OKC wants any chance at keeping him they better extend him. Of course he should've been taken care of already and they should have let someone else hilariously overpay Ibaka.

It's pretty much assured that he'll get the max from someone so if OKC wants any chance at keeping him they better extend him. Of course he should've been taken care of already and they should have let someone else hilariously overpay Ibaka.

They can match him next year regardless of what contract he gets.

Nelo Ice

Banned
They can match him next year regardless of what contract he gets.

If they do that they'll be hit with the new luxury tax fees. From a quick google search.

The problem is the luxury tax.

In the 2013-14 season, when the new contracts for Ibaka and Harden would begin, the luxury tax would kick in once a team's combined player salaries reach $72 million. The Thunder already has $53.9 million committed to Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka and Kendrick Perkins for that season.

The team could amnesty Perk, but unless some of these newly acquired bigs grow a serious nasty streak, I wouldn't recommend it.

But even if the Thunder ultimately cuts ties with Perkins, Harden would still have to sign for $10 million a year or so for the team to stay out of luxury-tax trouble. And even then, it might exceed the limit.

http://newsok.com/thunder-signing-james-harden-might-be-impossible/article/3708684#ixzz26EVRA21m

I'm pretty sure a title contending team isn't going to let go of one of the best offensive players in the NBA just because of luxury tax penalties. Harden will get 4/58 in free agency next year and the Thunder will match.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I'm pretty sure a title contending team isn't going to let go of one of the best offensive players in the NBA just because of luxury tax penalties. Harden will get 4/58 in free agency next year and the Thunder will match.

The penalties also severely limit what you can do as far as personnel decisions. Over the tax teams can't do sign and trades, only have mini mle available etc. It's why the Lakers aren't likely to go into repeater tax once 2014 rolls around since that would severly damage any players they could possibly acquire even though the Busses can easily afford it with the TV contract alone.
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q23

23. Other than financial penalties, are there restrictions on taxpaying teams?

In addition to the tax payments described in question number 21, taxpaying teams have the following restrictions. Note that most of these restrictions aren't triggered unless the team would be over the "apron" -- the point $4 million above the tax level -- following a signing or trade.

Teams above the apron cannot use the Bi-Annual exception (see question number 25).

Teams above the apron have a smaller Mid-Level exception (see question number 25). Teams above the apron can offer contracts no longer than three years, while other teams can offer four. The starting salary is also lower (for example, in 2011-12 it is $3 million for teams above the apron, versus $5 million for other teams).

Taxpaying teams can acquire less salary in a simultaneous trade (see question number 81).

Starting in 2013-14, teams above the apron cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade transaction (see question number 88).

Teams above the apron do not have the same protections under the Gilbert Arenas provision (see question number 44). Under the Arenas provision other teams can offer restricted free agents salaries starting at the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception. If a team with the
right of first refusal does not have Early Bird rights to the player and is over the apron, it will have only the smaller Taxpayer Mid-Level exception at its disposal, and cannot match an offer for the full Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception.

No one will want to play in OKC except to ring chase so those provisions don't affect the Thunder. Harden is a top 30 player in the NBA who is getting better every year. His stats last year were historic, the Thunder will pay him 15m a year.

Top Bottom