• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT3| The Barclays Center is covered in rust

Triple U

Banned
Uhh, is Rubio being the best defensive PG in the NBA a controversial opinion? The Wolves were great defensively with him and terrible without. He's incredibly smart, he's really active, and he's athletic.

In no particular order,

Rose
Bradley
Rondo
Kidd
Andre Miller

Just off the top of my head are better defenders. Rubio is a good team defender but in isolation he is mediocre.

giri

In no particular order,

Rose
Bradley
Rondo
Kidd
Andre Miller

Just off the top of my head are better defenders. Rubio is a good team defender but in isolation he is mediocre.

I'm a rose fan, but he's not a great defender.

Good, but not great.

Dre/Kidd aren't as good as they used to be either.

Avery Bradley? isn't he a SG? Thats the kid from the Celtics?

Every PG in the NBA is mediocre (at best) defensively in isolation because of the rules so team defense matters a lot more and Rubio is a better iso defender than Rondo, Kidd, and Miller because Rondo is way too small and Kidd and Miller are way too slow.

Lowry and Bledsoe are the only PGs I'd consider close to as good as Rubio defensively (and calling Bledsoe a PG is a stretch) because Lowry and Bledsoe can protect the rim despite Bledsoe's hyperactiveness and Lowry's tinyness.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
In no particular order,

Rose
Bradley
Rondo
Kidd
Andre Miller

Kidd was a great great great defender... maybe the 4th or 5th best defender at the position but those days are long gone...

Miller old too

New host of First Take

cari-champion.jpg

lifestyle8.jpg

Triple U

Banned
Rubio gives up .98 PPP in isolation. Thats almost as bad as irving.

Rose? .71
Westbrook? .88(Rubios better overall though)
Rondo? .83

Its not close really.

And Bradley sometimes defends SGs(he's that good. Probably the best defensive guard right now)

Rubio gives up .98 PPP in isolation. Thats almost as bad as irving.

Rose? .71
Westbrook? .88(Rubios better overall though)
Rondo? .83

Its not close really.

And Bradley sometimes defends SGs(he's that good. Probably the best defensive guard right now)

Rose has Joakim Noah, Omer Asik, and Taj Gibson protecting the rim and never has to guard top perimeter players on the opposing team. Rose being replaced by CJ Watson also had no affect on the Bulls' defense. Rondo has KG protecting the rim. Rubio has Love and Pekovic protecting the rim.

Triple U

Banned
Every PG in the NBA is mediocre (at best) defensively in isolation because of the rules so team defense matters a lot more and Rubio is a better iso defender than Rondo, Kidd, and Miller because Rondo is way too small and Kidd and Miller are way too slow.

Lowry and Bledsoe are the only PGs I'd consider close to as good as Rubio defensively (and calling Bledsoe a PG is a stretch) because Lowry and Bledsoe can protect the rim despite Bledsoe's hyperactiveness and Lowry's tinyness.

No, this isn't true at all. There are a couple NBA PG'a who are a the top of the league in individual defense.

Rose has Joakim Noah, Omer Asik, and Taj Gibson protecting the rim and never has to guard top perimeter players on the opposing team. Rose being replaced by CJ Watson also had no affect on the Bulls' defense. Rondo has KG protecting the rim. Rubio has Love and Pekovic protecting the rim.

These are isolation stats, these players are the primary defenders. If they go into help, it doesn't get counted.

No, this isn't true at all. There are a couple NBA PG'a who are a the top of the league in individual defense.

These are isolation stats, these players are the primary defenders. If they go into help, it doesn't get counted.

Literally every single example video in the Rose isolation defense stats on Synergy involves Deng or Noah coming over to help. If Rondo is beaten off the dribble, KG comes over to help, and the opposing PG takes a weird shot to avoid getting blocked by KG, that will be counted as Rondo in isolation defense.

giri

Rim protectors aren't just active in PnR play. They're active the whole time. Just because the initial play starts in isolation doesn't mean they aren't going to face help defenders after the fact.

so mesmorizing

/me nod

Triple U

Banned
Rim protectors aren't just active in PnR play. They're active the whole time. Just because the initial play starts in isolation doesn't mean they aren't going to face help defenders after the fact.

/me nod

If the player goes into help, it doesn't get counted towards iso defense. I don't know how many times I can explain this.

Yeah, this is a lie. A blatant one at that lol.

In the first video, Deng moves over to cut off Roddy B from getting a layup and forces him to take a jumper (this is after the entire Bulls team was swarming him before the final try by Roddy).

In the second video, Dominique Jones goes to the basket, Noah comes over to block the shot, but is too late rotating.

In the third video, Brandon Knight goes insane and throws a pass wildly out of bounds due to being unable to pass the ball into the post due to Noah's defense.

giri

If the player goes into help, it doesn't get counted towards iso defense. I don't know how many times I can explain this.

It doesn't matter how many times you explain it, you're still wrong.

IWMTB is literally spelling it out for you, go look.

Blackace

Yeah but how many times are the bulls in iso situations that number doesn't explain that

Triple U

Banned
In the first video, Deng moves over to cut off Roddy B from getting a layup and forces him to take a jumper (this is after the entire Bulls team was swarming him before the final try by Roddy).

In the second video, Dominique Jones goes to the basket, Noah comes over to block the shot, but is too late rotating.

In the third video, Brandon Knight goes insane and throws a pass wildly out of bounds due to being unable to pass the ball into the post due to Noah's defense.

LOL, are you using the trial? Theres 62 plays pal.

Triple U

Banned
It doesn't matter how many times you explain it, you're still wrong.

IWMTB is literally spelling it out for you, go look.
If by spelling it out you mean using the limited ass trial to prove a point then yeah he is. PS: Im not using last year for Rose because he was hurt.
Yeah but how many times are the bulls in iso situations that number doesn't explain that

It does actually...

Edit: Also, it doesn't matter how many times the bulls are isolated. Its Rose's isolations we are talking...

LOL, are you using the trial? Theres 62 plays pal.

Yes.

And from just three plays it is blatantly obvious that plays in which Rose gets defensively help are counted as isolation defensive possessions if his man has the ball and doesn't get a pick.

And why are you even using Rondo and Rose as examples? Their coaches have said repeatedly that they don't believe in individual defense but five guys on a string who are always helping each other. A defensive possession where Rose (or anyone on the team) doesn't receive a lot of help would be considered a failed defensive possession by Thibs so how can you judge his isolation defense in a scheme where everyone is always helping?

Triple U

Banned
Yes.
And from just three plays it is blatantly obvious that plays in which Rose gets defensively help are counted as isolation defensive possessions if his man has the ball and doesn't get a pick.

And why are you even using Rondo and Rose as examples? Their coaches have said repeatedly that they don't believe in individual defense but five guys on a string who are always helping each other. A defensive possession where Rose (or anyone on the team) doesn't receive a lot of help would be considered a failed defensive possession by Thibs so how can you judge his isolation defense in a scheme where everyone is always helping?

LOL, knew it and
Because they are better defenders than Rubio.

Did you respond to your evidence being falsified by trying to use your (so far unsupported point) as evidence? Also, Synergy ranks Al Jefferson and Andrea Bargnani as top defenders in the NBA and Memo Okur frequently had amazing Synergy stats. Basketball is a team sport. Rubio has better much better discipline than Rondo and Rose on defense, he understands angles better, he understands when to double and when to help better. Possibly Rose and Rondo are better individual defenders, but I haven't seen any real evidence with my eyes or with stats that that's the case and team defense involves players on every possession whereas individual defense is usually one of every five possessions.

Rose getting injured did not hurt the Bulls defensively at all. Rondo getting injured did not affect the Celtics defensively at all (though that does have a good bit to do with Bradley playing more). Rubio joining the Wolves caused them to go from horrible defensively to average. Rubio getting injured caused the Wolves to go from average defensively to horrible.

Blackace

It does actually...

Edit: Also, it doesn't matter how many times the bulls are isolated. Its Rose's isolations we are talking...
Because the bulls play a trapping helping D?

How many plays did rose d up in iso last year?

Stats can be real deceiving

I am not saying rose isn't a good defender to be clear!

Triple U

Banned
Did you respond to your evidence being falsified by trying to use your (so far unsupported point) as evidence? Also, Synergy ranks Al Jefferson and Andrea Bargnani as top defenders in the NBA and Memo Okur frequently had amazing Synergy stats. Basketball is a team sport. Rubio has better much better discipline than Rondo and Rose on defense, he understands angles better, he understands when to double and when to help better. Possibly Rose and Rondo are better individual defenders, but I haven't seen any real evidence with my eyes or with stats that that's the case and team defense involves players on every possession whereas individual defense is usually one of every five possessions.

Rose getting injured did not hurt the Bulls defensively at all. Rondo getting injured did not affect the Celtics defensively at all (though that does have a good bit to do with Bradley playing more). Rubio joining the Wolves caused them to go from horrible defensively to average. Rubio getting injured caused the Wolves to go from average defensively to horrible.

Barg is one the worst defenders in the league according to Synergy. Rondo and Rose have good backups so no there defense doesn't suffer as much. Your point is still poor though. I doubt any body Rubio would have guarded or switched on were the ones lighting the wolves up. You play different teams as the season goes on..

Blackace

lol good fucking luck. The Blazers have been trying to get that working with Comcast since they signed their 10-year deal 5 years ago. DirecTV still doesn't carry Blazers games, and the streaming solution was such a mess.

They never will.
Aren't you a media guy? Fix It!

Blackace

62, which is a little bit below average
So a little over 2 plays a game?

Now compared to Rubio and whoever?

D especially is never explained well in stats it's always better to asset from gameplay

Triple U

Banned
So a little over 2 plays a game?

Now compared to Rubio and whoever?

D especially is never explained well in stats it's always better to asset from gameplay

Isolation? 73. A guy like rondo gets 100+

I think there are good ways of measuring Defense with stats. Its not complete without an eye test but still.

I don't agree with comparing how teams with good backups perform with teams without good backups do. I mean, most teams were pretty bad offensively at the beginning off the year. I doubt the wolves wouldn't have regressed defensively in the West if Rubio was there anyway. It was inevitable. PG defense is probably 5 on the rank of importance.

Blackace

Isolation? 73. A guy like rondo gets 100+

I think there are good ways of measuring Defense with stats. Its not complete without an eye test but still.

I don't agree with comparing how teams with good backups perform with teams without good backups do. I mean, most teams were pretty bad offensively at the beginning off the year. I doubt the wolves wouldn't have regressed defensively in the West if Rubio was there anyway. It was inevitable. PG defense is probably 5 on the rank of importance.

I agree with you about comparing backups... but I think defensive PGs are one of the most important cogs after a great defensive big man..

linsivvi

Best GAF is always divided when it comes to PGs. These are who I consider the top 7 PGs in the league, how would you rank them?

In no particular order:
CP3
Rose
Rondo
Westbrook
Nash
Deron
Parker

giri

Best GAF is always divided when it comes to PGs. These are who I consider the top 7 PGs in the league, how would you rank them?

In no particular order:
CP3
Rose
Rondo
Westbrook
Nash
Deron
Parker

Deron/Cp3
Rose/Parker
Nash
rondo
Rubio/Curry
Conley/Westbrook
Ty/Dragic

linsivvi

Deron/Cp3
Rose/Parker
Nash
rondo
Rubio/Curry
Conley/Westbrook
Ty/Dragic

Since the trade I don't think Deron has been playing at the level he was at during his Jazz days. Even his Olympics run was uninspiring. Maybe finally having a decent team around him and fighting for a playoff spot will change that.

Triple U

Banned

In no particular order:
CP3
Rose
Rondo
Westbrook
Nash
Deron
Parker

Thats a odd ass number put thats pretty much all the elites.

Blackace

Deron/Cp3
Rose/Parker
Nash
rondo
Rubio/Curry
Conley/Westbrook
Ty/Dragic

Hmm...

Conley equal to Westbrook? Can't cosign that..

CP3
Rose
Williams
Nash
Rondo ( Can't lie Triple L made a good case for him... But still can't shoot)
Westbrook
Parker
Kyrie
Rubio
Curry
Conley

RealGM's gotten through the voting for the top 20 peaks in NBA history:

1. Michael Jordan '91, age 27
2. Shaquille O'Neal '00, age 27
3. Bill Russell '65, age 30
4. Wilt Chamberlain '67, age 30
5. Hakeem Olajuwon '94, age 31
6. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar '77, age 29
7. Larry Bird '86, age 29
8. Magic Johnson '87, age 27
9. Tim Duncan '03, age 26
10. LeBron James '09, age 24
11. Kevin Garnett '04, age 27
12. Bill Walton '77, age 24
13. Julius Erving '76, age 25
14. Oscar Robertson '63, age 24
15. Kobe Bryant '08, age 29
16. David Robinson '95, age 29
17. Dwyane Wade '09, age 27
18. Dirk Nowitzki '11, age 32
19. Patrick Ewing '90, age 27
20. Steve Nash '05, age 31

West, T-Mac, Moses, CP3, Dwight, and Malone should be the next guys on the list.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1197732

It's a pretty interesting read. Doctor MJ, ElGee, and the others bring a lot of interesting perspective.

Blackace

RealGM's gotten through the voting for the top 20 peaks in NBA history:

1. Michael Jordan '91, age 27
2. Shaquille O'Neal '00, age 27
3. Bill Russell '65, age 30
4. Wilt Chamberlain '67, age 30
5. Hakeem Olajuwon '94, age 31
6. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar '77, age 29
7. Larry Bird '86, age 29
8. Magic Johnson '87, age 27
9. Tim Duncan '03, age 26
10. LeBron James '09, age 24
11. Kevin Garnett '04, age 27
12. Bill Walton '77, age 24
13. Julius Erving '76, age 25
14. Oscar Robertson '63, age 24
15. Kobe Bryant '08, age 29
16. David Robinson '95, age 29
17. Dwyane Wade '09, age 27
18. Dirk Nowitzki '11, age 32
19. Patrick Ewing '90, age 27
20. Steve Nash '05, age 31

West, T-Mac, Moses, CP3, Dwight, and Malone should be the next guys on the list.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1197732

It's a pretty interesting read. Doctor MJ, ElGee, and the others bring a lot of interesting perspective.

Magic at 8 is horrible

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Its kinda funny.

I can say Lawson is the better point guard and Westbrook is the better player and the immediate reaction from that will tell you exactly how the rest of the discussion is going to go.

Top Bottom