• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT3| The Barclays Center is covered in rust

T Dollarz

RealGM's gotten through the voting for the top 20 peaks in NBA history:

1. Michael Jordan '91, age 27
2. Shaquille O'Neal '00, age 27
3. Bill Russell '65, age 30
4. Wilt Chamberlain '67, age 30
5. Hakeem Olajuwon '94, age 31
6. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar '77, age 29
7. Larry Bird '86, age 29
8. Magic Johnson '87, age 27
9. Tim Duncan '03, age 26
10. LeBron James '09, age 24
11. Kevin Garnett '04, age 27
12. Bill Walton '77, age 24
13. Julius Erving '76, age 25
14. Oscar Robertson '63, age 24
15. Kobe Bryant '08, age 29
16. David Robinson '95, age 29
17. Dwyane Wade '09, age 27
18. Dirk Nowitzki '11, age 32
19. Patrick Ewing '90, age 27
20. Steve Nash '05, age 31

West, T-Mac, Moses, CP3, Dwight, and Malone should be the next guys on the list.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1197732

It's a pretty interesting read. Doctor MJ, ElGee, and the others bring a lot of interesting perspective.

Wow. That's fuckin' cool list. I love shit like this. However, I disagree with Lebron, Kobe, Wade and Ewing's peaks. And yeah, T-Mac's peak should be very next. I could also see Jason Kidd there when he was killin' it in Jersey. Iverson too? Yeah.

Wow. That's fuckin' cool list. I love shit like this. However, I disagree with Lebron, Kobe, Wade and Ewing's peaks. And yeah, T-Mac's peak should be very next. I could also see Jason Kidd there when he was killin' it in Jersey. Iverson too? Yeah.

I was gonna say. Kobe's peak was probably a couple years before 08, Wade's peak was earlier too. Bron's peak was most likely this year.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Also think Rose and CP3 peaked could have an argument to be soon after. How about Drexler '92? Barkley '93? Grant Hill '97?

Drexler has a nice peak but he wasn't better than anyone one that list ... Barkley could be 89 or 90

charsace

In no particular order,

Rose
Bradley
Rondo
Kidd
Andre Miller

Just off the top of my head are better defenders. Rubio is a good team defender but in isolation he is mediocre.

Rubio and Bradley are the best defensive pg's in the league.

pg rankings overall:

1. Paul
2. Westbrook
3. Deron
4. Rose
5. Kyrie
6. Rubio
7. Ty Lawson
8. Rondo
9. Steph Curry
10. Conley

So Skip's brother is Rick Bayless; his love for Mexico knows no bounds. Also SAS needs to rub some rogaine on his forehead; I can't take him seriously. It's so pitiful.

Omega

Banned
RealGM's gotten through the voting for the top 20 peaks in NBA history:

1. Michael Jordan '91, age 27
2. Shaquille O'Neal '00, age 27
3. Bill Russell '65, age 30
4. Wilt Chamberlain '67, age 30
5. Hakeem Olajuwon '94, age 31
6. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar '77, age 29
7. Larry Bird '86, age 29
8. Magic Johnson '87, age 27
9. Tim Duncan '03, age 26
10. LeBron James '09, age 24
11. Kevin Garnett '04, age 27
12. Bill Walton '77, age 24
13. Julius Erving '76, age 25
14. Oscar Robertson '63, age 24
15. Kobe Bryant '08, age 29
16. David Robinson '95, age 29
17. Dwyane Wade '09, age 27
18. Dirk Nowitzki '11, age 32
19. Patrick Ewing '90, age 27
20. Steve Nash '05, age 31

West, T-Mac, Moses, CP3, Dwight, and Malone should be the next guys on the list.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1197732

It's a pretty interesting read. Doctor MJ, ElGee, and the others bring a lot of interesting perspective.

how do people vote for players like Russell, Wilt, Robertson, etc.

99% of the people going on real.gm never got to watch them and the most they probably saw was one or two games on NBA TV Hardwood Classics.

Even Starbury thinks the Knicks are fucked.

"Amare needs a point guard like Steve Nash (to thrive). He's a pick-and-roll guy, a pick-and-pop guy. He can't play in the half court where everything's slowed down," Marbury told ESPN New York during a brief interview in Manhattan on Wednesday.

When asked if he thought Anthony and Stoudemire could flourish together, Marbury said flatly, "Nope."In addition to his thoughts on Stoudemire, Marbury also questioned the Knicks' motivation in obtaining Anthony. New York executed a three-team blockbuster deal to bring Anthony in from Denver in February 2011.

"I don't know if (Knicks owner James) Dolan brought him in to win games or to make money," Marbury said. "I think it was to make money."

charsace

I thought you guys got tired of talking about the knicks a good while ago. So why is it that I see you guys posting about the knicks every day?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
GU2Qh.png

exarkun

Saw the article on Marbury shitting on Amare+Melo.

Sad to see the state of the new york knicks in 2012. Its so bad that Starbury can tell that there is something wrong with team offensive chemistry.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Channing Frye has a dilated cardiomyopathy. He's out indefinitely -- and possibly will have to retire. Hope he's gonna be alright.

SUPREME1

Banned
Top 10 best players since 2000, per Dime Mag:

1. Bryant
2. Duncan
3. O’Neal
4. James
5. Nowitzki
6. Garnett
7. Wade
8. Nash
9. Iverson
10. Pierce

1. KOBE BRYANT
No one went through more transformations in one career. No one logged more SportsCenter time, been the instigator of more Internet forum threads or managed to fight and beat Father Time more often. No one dealt with as much drama away from the floor – self-inflicted or not – as Kobe Bryant. He is a survivor, and you can make the case his 16-year career is more impressive than winning six championships or grabbing five NBA MVP awards (as you know who did).

When Kobe and Shaquille O’Neal put aside their petty differences and won championships, we figured Bryant was an uber-sidekick who was literally unafraid of the moment. When the Laker dynasty went up in smoke, and people accused Kobe of forcing O’Neal out, we figured he was a callous gunner who wanted to win, but only under his own terms. He wanted to be the hero, but not quite as much as he didn’t want anyone else to be the hero. When the Lakers swindled Pau Gasol from Memphis, and started winning rings again, we figured Kobe was the best player in the world, a calculating basketball assassin who knew exactly how to take out his enemies. Now that Bryant’s legs are beginning to fail him, and younger cats are pulling on his cape, some think we have Kobe figured out again: as a relic of a lost era, the final link between the modern age of basketball and the forgotten glory days of the ‘80s and ‘90s. We figure he’s a hardened warrior getting up from the canvas for one more round, one more bout with destiny. But if we learned anything about Kobe Bryant over the past 16 years, it’s that we should never count him out.

Bryant is moving into a new chapter in his career. Only the staunchest and most ridiculous Stans will still include him in the discussion for the best player in the league. The Mamba can be that at times, perhaps for a quarter or even a night. But over the course of an entire series, an entire playoff run, he can’t do it any longer. The stats don’t lie. The Lakers have bowed out meekly in the Western Conference Semifinals in two straight seasons. In 2011, Bryant had the worst playoff run of his career, averaging a quiet 22.8 points against a rag-tag group of defenders (DeShawn Stevenson, a calcifying Shawn Marion, Marco Belinelli and old buddy, Trevor Ariza) that he would’ve turned into four-course meals just a few years before.

Then this past spring, Oklahoma City suffocated the Lakers, and Bryant shot under 40 percent in the series’ first three games.

Yet none of that should take away from what he’s done. There are 29,484 reasons why he’s still far and away the most popular player overseas. Remember the 2008 Olympics in Beijing? One night, the Redeem Team all went to support the women’s National Team, filing into their seats before the game even began. Kobe? He came in after play began, and caused an uproar that would make President Obama proud. Overlooking that only Kobe would milk a moment like that, it was telling. LeBron didn’t get that love. Neither did Carmelo Anthony or Dwight Howard. In this summer’s 2012 Olympics, after the U.S.A. criminally assaulted Tunisia in a 110-63 massacre, an opposing player jogged over to Bryant after the game, handed over his sneaker and asked for an autograph.

Worldwide love like that comes easy when you have five NBA championships, 14 All-Star Games, 10 All-NBA First Teams and 9 All-Defensive First Teams. Kobe might not be Mike, but he’s pretty damn good.

Haters can ead.

Omega

Banned
Saw the article on Marbury shitting on Amare+Melo.

Sad to see the state of the new york knicks in 2012. Its so bad that Starbury can tell that there is something wrong with team offensive chemistry.

Marbury isn't exactly someone worth listening to when it comes to basketball.

He never had good chemistry with anyone except KG, and he left because he thought he should be paid as much as him.

Top Bottom