• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT3| The Barclays Center is covered in rust

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
is he for real? I mean, it seems too ridiculous to not be some kind of stealth troll. a grown ass man asking what to do when a woman looks his way...drawing a picture and shit...gotdamn. he aint serious.

Yeah, can't be real. But I always think those "How do I talk to girls?" threads are fake, too.

SUPREME1

Banned
Wade is riding Bosh's coattails... among other things. He's overrated. Maybe top 10 at best.

LeBron is legit though. I'd say he's definitely one of the top 3 players in the league right now.

But yeah, without Bosh... neither one of them Heat guards wins a championship last season.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
WAIIIIIIITTTTT A MINUTE! /Yipes

People are actually listening to Marbury's opinion on the Knicks? Stephon Marbury? The man that ate Vaseline on Ustream?

iF2h6TfS4ZI7c.gif

Oh, you guys.

charsace

Who do you guys think will surprise people in the NBA this season?

I think Josh Selby will blow. The kid has all star talent. He'll get playing time and end up on sportscenter few times. He'll be in the running for MIP.

Who do you guys think will surprise people in the NBA this season?

I think Josh Selby will blow. The kid has all star talent. He'll get playing time and end up on sportscenter few times. He'll be in the running for MIP.

Evan Turner....

i hope.

or

AfroSwag because the league needs more swag.

but on a not biased note..I think one of Utah's young guns will blow up this season. My bet is on Alec Burks.

Brooklyn Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov's goal is to win a championship -- and he expects do so within the next three years.

"Every team has a grand plan, and we're moving slowly, step by step, because it's easy to make a strong team, but it's very difficult to make a championship team. So we are on the right way and I'm expecting our championship within three years now," Prokhorov told reporters Friday morning after participating in a ribbon-cutting with partner Bruce Ratner and New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, marking the ceremonial opening of the $1 billion Barclays Center in downtown Brooklyn.

Prokhorov has a grand plan for the Nets, who open their new arena in their first season in Brooklyn Nov. 1 against the rival Knicks. "I'm really thirsting for the first of November," he said.

When Prokhorov bought the team in 2010, he said the Nets would capture the NBA title within five years, meaning his plan remains on schedule.

"He said five, so we're down to three. To me, it's a great goal," Nets general manager Billy King said. "I'd rather him say that than say, 'Hopefully we're going to win a championship at some point.' That's the goal, and I look forward to the challenge."

The Nets have gone just 58-172 over the last three seasons and haven't made the playoffs since the 2006-07 season. But Prokhorov, the Russian billionaire, opened his wallet over the summer, allowing King and assistant GM Bobby Marks to dole out more than $330 million to retain superstar point guard Deron Williams and surround him with talented players like shooting guard Joe Johnson.

"For me there is only one place: No. 1," Prokhorov said. "And I'll do my best in order to reach a championship."

Prokhorov confidently said he believes King will be "GM of the Year," and he doesn't care how much money he has to pay in luxury taxes.

"You can add it up. I don't want to do your job, but for me it's most important to have a championship," he said.

Prokhorov plans on attending 25 percent of the team's regular-season games, and "now we can add playoffs," he said, guaranteeing a 2013 appearance. He added that his ultimate goal is to "make a small dynasty team."

King wouldn't say where he believes the revamped Nets stack up against the rest of the Eastern Conference.

"I leave that to you guys. I've never been one to say where we stack up," King said. "I think for the first time in my years for the Nets, every night going in I know we can compete with the opponent. I don't think there's one game I'd say, everything's gotta go right to beat that team, and that's what you want."

Barclays Center will officially open on Sept. 28, when Jay-Z will perform the first of his eight sold-out concerts.

"I'm very excited," Prokhorov said when asked about the arena. "As I already mentioned, when I saw it two years ago, it was a hole in the ground. It's a dream, for me, what we see now. I think it's the best arena in the world. I'm expecting a great rivalry with the Knicks."

The Nets will play their first regular-season game at the arena on Nov. 1 against their biggest rivals, the Knicks.

"It's not for me to make that decision, it's an NBA decision," Prokhorov said when asked if he had anything to do with the scheduling of the opener. "But I'm really thirsting for the first of November."

Will Knicks owner James "That Little Man" Dolan be invited?

"I've sent him an invitation already. Still waiting for the answer," Prokhorov joked.

Brooklyn has been without a professional sports franchise since 1957, when the Dodgers left the borough for Los Angeles.

"Not everyone, in their lifetime, gets to witness an event that changes a city," Prokhorov said. "Maybe those who witnessed the building of the Brooklyn Bridge could say that. Barclays Center will be the heart of the Brooklyn borough.

"I assure you, we are bringing a team that is worthy of this great arena and this great borough."

At 9:38 a.m. ET the lights at the Barclays Center were turned on, much to the delight of the hundreds who attended the Friday morning news conference. Exactly an hour later, the ribbon was cut.

"This is a great day for Brooklyn, and a great day for New York City!" Bloomberg exclaimed.

Center Brook Lopez was the only Nets player who attended the ceremony. Prokhorov said he took the subway to the arena.

Prokhorov was evasive when asked about possible contract extension talks with coach Avery Johnson, who is going into the final year of his deal, but did hint that Johnson and King will be in Brooklyn for a while.

Bless his heart.

Thinking about the Nets, Brook Lopez is kind of a terrible fit with that team. Do they need another scorer when Deron or Iso will have the ball all the time? Bropez doesn't really do anything well other than score so it's hard to see him helping the team.

giri

Thinking about the Nets, Brook Lopez is kind of a terrible fit with that team. Do they need another scorer when Deron or Iso will have the ball all the time? Bropez doesn't really do anything well other than score so it's hard to see him helping the team.

He CAN rebound, but it's a question of whether he will. But the other way to think about it is that if he has another good offensive season, his trade value should go up. And you'd rather have someone with offensive talent than just another deandre jordon.

TBH, if they could move bropez to the PF spot, they'd be much better off.

I would say he's probably one of the best scoring big men in the league. How is that not a help?

I would say he's probably one of the best scoring big men in the league. How is that not a help?

Because there will almost never be a point to giving him the ball because Iso or Deron will have the ball all the time and are better offensive players. The Nets going into the season with no interior defense looks really weird.

giri

There's plenty as good/ better.

But he's certainly good him self.

It's everything he doesn't do.

TBH, he could really become a TD like player, his offensive fundamentals are there. He just needs everything else.

chizmiz

Banned
Because there will almost never be a point to giving him the ball because Iso or Deron will have the ball all the time and are better offensive players. The Nets going into the season with no interior defense looks really weird.

Yeah, why rely on potent interior scoring from time to time when you could simply expect your guards to do everything?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
If you want to see some level 3 tanking, NBA TV is showing the NY Liberty playing the last game of the season right now. They already locked up the last playoff spot. Coach doesn't want to play anybody good. This is going to be ugly.

San Antonio and LA play in the first round of the playoffs. :eek:

lol got a booooooo and a sorta dirty look on a train in new york, i have my celtics sling bag on, oh well :p

hmmmmm anyone know any mom and pop stores in NY/times square or manhattan that sell games early? help me NY guys

i want resident evil 6 or NBA 2K13 early B)

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
He CAN rebound, but it's a question of whether he will. But the other way to think about it is that if he has another good offensive season, his trade value should go up. And you'd rather have someone with offensive talent than just another deandre jordon.

TBH, if they could move bropez to the PF spot, they'd be much better off.

did you see that contract they gave him? he is going no where for at least 2-3 seasons.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
lol MSG is reduced to showing a WNBA player rap videos at halftime

lol the play by play team isn't at the arena. they're in some studio in NYC

Vahagn

If Bosh was healthy they win in five. At most.

Ray Allen was injured and Bradley was out the whole series. Basically instead of 2 good shooting guards they had a half of one.

That Boston series wasn't a fluke it could have easily gone either way.

Heat will win in 5 or 6. They were on another level when no one was injured.

I think The Knicks getting lubed and tubed in such a wreckless fashion put that Heat team on a higher pedestal than they deserve for you. Avery is a good defender and would have been great on Wade, Ray being healthy would also been pretty big. I think Avery+Ray being healthy is almost as big an addition as Bosh.

I think The Knicks getting lubed and tubed in such a wreckless fashion put that Heat team on a higher pedestal than they deserve for you. Avery is a good defender and would have been great on Wade, Ray being healthy would also been pretty big. I think Avery+Ray being healthy is almost as big an addition as Bosh.

Yet boston lost in 5 last year. what makes you think it will be any different 1 year later?

You can't just uninjure Bosh in your hypothetical and leave Avery out and Ray limping.

With Bosh, Avery and Ray that series would still be 7 games imo, Heat probably still win.

edit: Wasn't peaches beat up by then too?
I'm not. We beat them in 5 the previous year. And it's not like Wade was lighting shit up then. We win in 5.

Top Bottom