• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Playoffs |OT3| If he dies, he dies *wink*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, i actually don't try to deny it. I think i'm a fan of like 4 oldman teams.As someone said before, I'm definitely not lakers-age. Celtics-age would accept me tho...I hope. lol
Na, Celtics Age are fans of teams not players. I'm sure Heat Age would accept you with open arms since you and they have so much in common.

Emwitus

You know, for the record, there's a Karl Malone joke here somewhere

clint-eastwood-disgusted-gif.gif

If LeBron ends up with the most points and MVPs in NBA history (which isn't far-fetched), would people still remember him as unclutch or an underachiever?
Te Mailman scored alot and rebounded alot but sure as hell wasnt clutch like Magic, MJ, Bird, Duncan, Shaq, Kobe, Russell, etc. LeBron would end up like Malone.

Is there something inherently wrong with being a fan of players, and not of teams?

Not at all as long as you dont go around claiming to be a fan of a team.

Gabyskra

Banned
Is there something inherently wrong with being a fan of players, and not of teams?

It depends if you're lucky or not. I grew up a fan of Latrell Sprewell, but I never rooted for the Warriors like I cheer for the Knicks. Of course in 1999 I could not believe how it all turned out.

giri

The meltdowns here if the Heat beat the Spurs will be spoken by our grandchildren years later

You think?

I don't expect them too, but i can certainly see it happening. I just think it's unlikely.

I personally aren't that invested, and the spurs don't have a HUGE fan base on gaf. so...

There will be more meltdowns if the heat lose i'd say.

Emwitus

You think?

I don't expect them too, but i can certainly see it happening. I just think it's unlikely.

I personally aren't that invested, and the spurs don't have a HUGE fan base on gaf. so...

There will be more meltdowns if the heat lose i'd say.

Oh, I would really like this to happen if my celts lose. If only just to see the lebron haters cry.

thekad

Banned
You think?

It's not about the Spurs fans. It's the Vahagns and ryutaros who are most invested in SA/OKC winning.

giri

Oh, I would really like this to happen if my celts lose. If only just to see the lebron haters cry.

I'm an LBJ Hater, but it will take a lot to prove wrong, a lot of the criticisms people have of him. And it will also take wade having another massive series (after his bad start to the indiana series, Wade had 3 games of 25+ or something).

If either of those two get injured though, along with a gimpy bosh... they might not even make it past the Celtics.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I'm a fan of a team because of a player. So IMO no...
Yeah, that's how it kind of works for me and my friends. If you're a fan of a player, then by definition you're gonna be a fan of the team that that player is on.

But I mean, if one is a fan of multiple players, said person can be fans of multiple teams. I don't really see a problem with it as long as you ain't shitting on other people for who/which players/teams they enjoy liking for whatever reasons.

I guess it's more of, "don't act like you're a loyal & longtime fan of this team when you just like certain players on it"...but it's all just enjoying high level basketball for me.

who will Battier guard, dat playoff bass

smh i can see chalmers and battier and why not i'll say Miller hit 6-10 threes tonight all together, they will be wide open a lot.

giri

who will Battier guard, dat playoff bass

smh i can see chalmers and battier and why not i'll say Miller hit 6-10 threes tonight all together, they will be wide open a lot.

Celtics do tend to stack the strong side, but i don't normally think of miami as a great passing team. And thats how you take advantage of that.

Emwitus

Yeah, that's how it kind of works for me and my friends. If you're a fan of a player, then by definition you're gonna be a fan of the team that that player is on.

But I mean, if one is a fan of multiple players, said person can be fans of multiple teams. I don't really see a problem with it as long as you ain't shitting on other people for who/which players/teams they enjoy liking for whatever reasons.

I guess it's more of, "don't act like you're a loyal & longtime fan of this team when you just like certain players on it"...but it's all just enjoying high level basketball for me.

Pretty much. I love basketball as a sport and I'm actually pretty gud at it myself. I like multiple teams too. Honestly tho, since most guys here grew up in those said states, I understand why others would get worked up by a guy like me. Anywho, no biggy....the only team i like hating on is the knicks.

Vahagn

If LeBron ends up with the most points and MVPs in NBA history (which isn't far-fetched), would people still remember him as unclutch or an underachiever?

All kidding aside, and I thought about this over lunch.

I think the general rule goes something like this:

"If you have more MVP's than championships, you're thought of as under-achieving"

Of course it's general, and it doesn't always apply. But It's why the Nowitzki MVP was glaring until he won, why Barkley, Malone, Lebron, Wilt, and Nash are considered - to different lengths - as leaving something to be desired.

Magic, Kareem, MJ, Kobe, Russell, Shaq, Bird, and Isiah aren't thought of that way. I think there's a train of thought that basically says "If you're the MVP, you should win. It's a regular season award, but we still expect you to win"

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there's some truth to that.

I think as long as Lebron wins 3 he'll be fine. He won't be the best, but he'll be ok. But if he keeps racking up MVP's and keeps losing in the postseason...well...he might be considered the biggest under-achiever ever.

The argument we're making is pretty straight-forward. I don't know if imshadowlark is purposely playing ignorant or simply doesn't have the mental capacity to understand it.

None of us said Lebron could never hit a shot in the 4th quarter or make a basket in a close game. I defy imshadowlark to find a quote saying as much.

What we're saying is that when there's real pressure and when his team is at a disadvantage late in the game, Lebron rarely steps up. Lebron can't lead from behind.

Lebron is a frontrunner. He's able to brutally step on the opponent's neck when he and his team have the upper hand. But if he doesn't have a handicap going into the final two minutes, he tends to shrink and defer.

This is what we have been saying and you'll find plenty of past posts supporting this. The Pacers series changed nothing whatsoever. Lebron looked lost and confused when Wade threatened to tank the series with his shameball. Lebron didn't get fully engaged until Wade got his swag back the last three games. Lebron didn't turn the series by putting the team on his back, Wade turned it around with an explosion of offense that 3rd quarter and then they both got rolling from thereafter. None of the last 3 Pacer games were nail-biters in the final minutes. it was mostly just the Heat protecting their fairly comfortable lead.

You don't have to agree with it, but you should at least be capable of understanding the argument we're making here.

This is the revisionist shit Im talking about. When Wade went to shit Lebron was easily the one carrying the team. Wade came out his own fucking mouth and said as much. Wade also attributed Lebron with helping him get his rhythm back.

Its like you skip the actual games and just watch skip bayless in the morning.

giri

All kidding aside, and I thought about this over lunch.

I think the general rule goes something like this:

"If you have more MVP's than championships, you're thought of as under-achieving"

Of course it's general, and it doesn't always apply. But It's why the Nowitzki MVP was glaring until he won, why Barkley, Malone, Lebron, Wilt, and Nash are considered - to different lengths - as leaving something to be desired.

Magic, Kareem, MJ, Kobe, Russell, Shaq, Bird, and Isiah aren't thought of that way. I think there's a train of thought that basically says "If you're the MVP, you should win. It's a regular season award, but we still expect you to win"

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there's some truth to that.

I think as long as Lebron wins 3 he'll be fine. He won't be the best, but he'll be ok. But if he keeps racking up MVP's and keeps losing in the postseason...well...he might be considered the biggest under-achiever ever.

If LBJ wins one, as the best player on the team and performing the best through out the entire play off run (Think Dirk, last year) then a lot of criticism will dissipate. To be genuinely considered GOAT, he needs to win at least 3.

This is the revisionist shit Im talking about. When Wade went to shit Lebron was easily the one carrying the team. Wade came out his own fucking mouth and said as much. Wade also attributed Lebron with helping him get his rhythm back.

Its like you skip the actual games and just watch skip bayless in the morning.
lol Eastern conference semi-finals

Mxrz

Wait. The best now or the best all time? Gonna need a lot more than 3 rings to climb into that, I'd think. Rings as a deciding factor in general is pretty screwy.

Shurs

Lebron has a lot of years ahead of him. Up until last season his supporting casts were fucking brutal. Remember that playoff game when he scored 29 of the last 30 points?

People were adamant that Kobe couldn't make it work this year with Pau, Bynum and Ron. Lebron never had a supporting cast anywhere near that good.

giri

Wait. The best now or the best all time? Gonna need a lot more than 3 rings to climb into that, I'd think. Rings as a deciding factor in general is pretty screwy.

Thats why i said 3. To be in the discussion. (I personally don't think that would be enough. But its a solid start).

Lebron has a lot of years ahead of him. Up until last season his supporting casts were fucking brutal. Remember that playoff game when he scored 29 of the last 30 points?

People were adamant that Kobe couldn't make it work this year with Pau, Bynum and Ron. Lebron never had a supporting cast anywhere near that good.

This fallacy bound to crop up and pop out. Yes, he did have very good supporting casts.

And i'm going to leave it at that.

Shurs

This fallacy bound to crop up and pop out. Yes, he did have very good supporting casts.

Better than Pau/Bynum/Ron?

Edit: His first trip to the finals, the other starters were: Sasha Pavlovic, Larry Hughes, Dwight Gooden and Big Z

Thats why i said 3. To be in the discussion. (I personally don't think that would be enough. But its a solid start).

Some combination of OLD Shaq, OLD Jamison, Varejo, West, Mo Williams, OLD A Parker, Hickson, Boozer, Big Z, Sasha Pavlovic, Larry Hughes, Gooden etc. Very good is a extreme overstatement.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

His cast was meh at best..

Mo played his best years with LBJ...was often exposed for the fraud he is tho..

LBJ didn't have a legit number 2 player to go to, which for all winning teams but the Pistons, seemed to be the formula

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom