• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Playoffs |OT3| If he dies, he dies *wink*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great response.

You sure love your repeating vowels, don't you?

I doooooooo.

What else is there to respond? Everyone watched the Spurs adjust to the Thunder gameplan and started executing what they are known for. No one gave anything away. The Spurs just took it with superior and smarter basketball.

TRios Zen

Okay this is a very sad admission but I watched very little of the Spurs during the regular season last year and instead caught up with them for the Grizzlies Spurs series. I know they had a phenomenal regular season last year as well. What exactly happened to them against the Grizz and what major changes did they make this year to ensure that didn't happen again?

Combination of what a lot of folks had already said:

1) Manu played with a broken arm that series, he missed game 1, which we narrowly lost, then was never fully himself when he came back.
2) Randolph played incredible EVERY. SINGLE. GAME. He was unstoppable. Still we were one Manu short of having this series tied 3-3 with a deciding game in SA.
3) Spurs squad was lacking in height and experience in the post, and that was a Grizzlies strength.

All around a bad first round match-up for Spurs. Truthfully though, Spurs probably peaked last year around games 60-70, then stumbled into the playoffs.

KingGondo

Banned
I doooooooo.

What else is there to respond? Everyone watched the Spurs adjust to the Thunder gameplan and started executing what they are known for. No one gave anything away. The Spurs just took it with superior and smarter basketball.
Brooks' rotations were stupid in the fourth, and even a mediocre Thunder quarter makes the game come down to the final seconds. You caught us when 3 of our 4 studs (Harden, YNB, Ibaka) had off nights, and that won't happen again.

This team knows they had a great opportunity to snag game 1, and they'll be on a mission tonight.

I expect to see a much more aggressive gameplan in the fourth in game 2 (that's right, fear the FThunder). And yes, I expect tonight's game to be close as well.

Also, I'm pretty sure the NBA will give OKC every chance to make the series competitive. Nobody wants a sweep or 5-game series.

Derrick01

Banned
I wish more people hated on Wade, I dislike his punkass more than LBJ.

Yeah I can't respect him or his game either. I can at least appreciate Lebron's talent, but Wade...

Flops, pump fakes just to dive into someone, jumping into people in the post for fouls instead of trying to make the shot, whines EVERY time unless he gets a foul call, hits people cheaply when they're not looking for some fake tough guy act.

And he breaks down way too easily. I guess that's why he does most of that stuff, so he can remain at least somewhat relevant in this league. I don't like it though. I wouldn't be able to hold my head up if I played like that.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Yeah I can't respect him or his game either. I can at least appreciate Lebron's talent, but Wade...

Flops, pump fakes just to dive into someone, jumping into people in the post for fouls instead of trying to make the shot, whines EVERY time unless he gets a foul call, hits people cheaply when they're not looking for some fake tough guy act.

And he breaks down way too easily. I guess that's why he does most of that stuff, so he can remain at least somewhat relevant in this league. I don't like it though. I wouldn't be able to hold my head up if I played like that.

Wade has been off ever since LBJ got to Miami.

He doesn't even approach the game like he used to. This is the same dude who gave Boston 48 minutes of hell while playing one on five. Now, he doesn't even look like he cares half the time.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Again, my lakers loser bros mention the lakers as if they're a great measuring stick.

they almost got took by gimp denver team. they probably would've got took if they had artest to chuck up bad shots on top of kome's.

its okay, loser bros. you don't have to fight anymore

KingGondo

Banned
you know who else gave up a game? The lakers and Dallas against the thunder. That's how it works in the playoffs. Ya gat beat! That's all there's is to it.
I didn't say anything about the Lakers or Mavs series, and I agree that OKC got lucky down the stretch in a couple of those games.

My point was that the Thunder had the Spurs right where they wanted them (the deficit should have been larger, too) and they let them right back into the game without much of a fight.

People don't remember how close last year's WCF were either, and that's how the playoffs work. If you lose a series in 4 or 5 games, nobody in their right mind would call it "close."

I said before this series started that it would take the best effort OKC has given all season to beat SA, and I stand by that. They gave a fantastic effort for 3 quarters the other night, but that simply isn't enough against this Spurs team. It will take 4 games of complete team basketball on both ends to beat SA.

Brooks' rotations were stupid in the fourth, and even a mediocre Thunder quarter makes the game come down to the final seconds. You caught us when 3 of our 4 studs (Harden, YNB, Ibaka) had off nights, and that won't happen again.

This team knows they had a great opportunity to snag game 1, and they'll be on a mission tonight.

I expect to see a much more aggressive gameplan in the fourth in game 2 (that's right, fear the FThunder). And yes, I expect tonight's game to be close as well.

Also, I'm pretty sure the NBA will give OKC every chance to make the series competitive. Nobody wants a sweep or 5-game series.
Could definitely happen that OKC takes Game 2. They're an amazing team afterall and I really enjoy watching them.

I just find the notion that they gave Game 1 away to be really funny. The Spurs also had an uncharacteristic game where they had a 14 TO half and none of the open 3s were falling, plus TP had a really mediocre outing. But that wouldn't have been a valid excuse if they had lost, IMO.

In each playoff game, specially at this stage, every team will take something away from its rival, so stuff like the Big 3 having an off night(Although I think Durant played really well) and saying it won't happen again, doesn't really fly with me as an explanation as to why they gave it away. The Spurs had something to do with Harden's and WB struggles, just like OKC had a hand in all the TOs the Spurs commited or defending TP.

snack

So I understand that you like the Spurs.

BoshHigh.gif

Emwitus

I didn't say anything about the Lakers or Mavs series, and I agree that OKC got lucky down the stretch in a couple of those games.

My point was that the Thunder had the Spurs right where they wanted them (the deficit should have been larger, too) and they let them right back into the game without much of a fight.

People don't remember how close last year's WCF were either, and that's how the playoffs work. If you lose a series in 4 or 5 games, nobody in their right mind would call it "close."

I said before this series started that it would take the best effort OKC has given all season to beat SA, and I stand by that. They gave a fantastic effort for 3 quarters the other night, but that simply isn't enough against this Spurs team. It will take 4 games of complete team basketball on both ends to beat SA.

And i agree with you Gondo. I actually think they have the roster they need to beat the spurs but execution down the stretch is key. In that sense, a good coach makes a heck of a difference between losing close games in the playoffs. (see phil jackson, Doc rivers, Pop)Will see what happens tonight. I also have no idea why you guys never run that pick and roll alot more in the final minutes like you do earlier in the game.

Emwitus

Again, my lakers loser bros mention the lakers as if they're a great measuring stick.

they almost got took by gimp denver team. they probably would've got took if they had artest to chuck up bad shots on top of kome's.

its okay, loser bros. you don't have to fight anymore

Again, i don't get what you mean, measuring stick. The lakers lost to the better team. Just like the spurs are the better team compared to OKC.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Do you know how long it takes to get a cup of water in Miami traffic?

Wade has been off ever since LBJ got to Miami.

He doesn't even approach the game like he used to. This is the same dude who gave Boston 48 minutes of hell while playing one on five. Now, he doesn't even look like he cares half the time.

It feels that way with Bosh too. Bosh used to be fucking dominant when he was still in Toronto and it just seems awkward at times when they try to incorporate him. Nowhere near the level he was at in Toronto, or at least it feels that way.

KingGondo

Banned
And i agree with you Gondo. I actually think they have the roster they need to beat the spurs but execution down the stretch is key. In that sense, a good coach makes a heck of a difference between losing close games in the playoffs. (see phil jackson, Doc rivers, Pop)Will see what happens tonight. I also have no idea why you guys never run that pick and roll alot more in the final minutes like you do earlier in the game.
Yeah, Harden-Collison PnR is difficult to defend. I hope we see more of that tonight.

We also need to have better interior passing. The Spurs aren't gonna foul like many other teams so we have to make our layups rather than just flailing at the basket.

I still firmly believe that OKC is the only team that *can* beat SA this year. I just doubt they will, especially with a loss tonight.

With a win, however--the arena in OKC will be fucking insane and all bets are off.

We also need to have better interior passing. The Spurs aren't gonna foul like many other teams so we have to make our layups rather than just flailing at the basket

Your players don't have the talent or finishing ability to convert the shots they were getting in game 1. Having guys like Parker and Manu is an awesome luxury....YNB and Harden don't have those skills.

Flailing is all they know how to do, and what they will continue to do.

I agree.

This was OKC's chance to take a game. The Spurs played their worst ball of the last couple months. They were sloppy after the layoff, and it took a while to get their rhythm.

I'm not sure how or why you are trying to spin that loss as a positive thing, but I doubt OKC gets that type of opportunity again.

Brooks' rotations will continue to be stupid. Its Pop v Brooks. And the game didn't come down to the final seconds. Don't lie to yourself. It was basically a 8-10 pt win.

2 of our 3 best players had off nights as well. But thats beyond the point. Every game has its own story. Maybe Tony will score 40 tonight. Maybe Bonner will go off. Who knows.

Either way, I think by the end of the series we'll find that the Spurs' big 3 is still much better than the Thunder big 3, despite the award/accolade mismatch throughout the season.

We already survived our Joey Crawford game.

(and to his credit, game 1 was actually really well officiated on both sides. I was shocked)

They needed Pringles more than anyone.

In SSOL, a Blake Griffin jumpshot doesn't sting nearly as much as it would in reality.

Chris Paul and SSOL don't really mesh, especially not for 82 games.

Besides, the last thing Griffin needs is Pringles teaching him how to play. Even VDN is better than that.

KingGondo

Banned
I think OKC showed that it is at least *capable* of beating SA in a series.

My main encouragement from the other night is that OKC definitely did not look outclassed, which is what I was afraid of.

Tonight, I want to see:

1) More Ibaka
2) More aggressiveness from Harden
3) The same defensive intensity we saw on Sunday night, minus the 4th quarter.

If we win tonight, the odds of OKC winning the series go up to around 50%, IMO. If we lose, it's more like a 10% chance.

At the very least, I'm glad we're finally getting some exciting, hard-fought, playoff basketball. This has been the most boring playoffs I can remember.

giri

That fit makes no sense.

I don't mean as head coach.

My main encouragement from the other night is that OKC definitely did not look outclassed, which is what I was afraid of.

Tonight, I want to see:

1) More Ibaka

If we win tonight, the odds of OKC winning the series go up to around 50%, IMO. If we lose, it's more like a 10% chance.

At the very least, I'm glad we're finally getting some exciting, hard-fought, playoff basketball. This has been the most boring playoffs I can remember.

You play ibaka in the 4th, TD is going to be scoring a lot more.

OKC literally ran themselves till they couldn't run no more last game. They were exhausted. I don't know how often they can give THAT level of performance.

Harden was plenty aggressive, that was part of his problem, always getting called for charges.

giri

I think son is rocking a Joel Anthony jersey. Pretty sure you the NBA doesn't won't make those, so he had to get creative.

I know you can get from some team stores (and stadium outlets) alternate weird colour jerseys. I doubt it's a knock off.

for e.g. i know phx do pink versions for girls in the least.

Tonight, I want to see:

1) More Ibaka

I don't know how you can come to that conclusion.

Going into the series, the Thunder small lineup was their only positive one against the Spurs (+19 in 43 min). When they've gone Ibaka+Perk in the past, they've gotten demolished. Like, demolished (-27 in 101 min). The script was flipped in game 1, and the Thunder small lineup was unproductive and their bigs played well....however, I think thats highly misleading. The big lineup had a strong first half because the Spurs played like ass. I know that sounds homerish but its fucking true if you watched the game; the fact that it was by 1 with 14 TOs is all you need to know. I really doubt Ibaka+Perk will be successful against the Spurs, especially with how disrespectful the Spurs defense was of their interior...the Thunder simply can't score with that unit.

So you'd think small ball would be the answer, and thats what Brooks resorted to in the 4th. But the regular season numbers are with Richard Jefferson and not Stephen Jackson. And heres where it gets interesting: JAX is an awesome small ball 4, and I think game 1 showed that whatever advantages OKC had going small were neutralized in that acquisition. JAX is big, strong, and long enough to play the 4, and with Duncan as the best big on the court and our deeper guard rotation (we don't have to play Fisher and Cook when we go small ffs), I think we now have the advantage in small ball as well.

I'm not sure what adjustments Brooks can make. He'll probably try to go big, but I have a feeling that will just produce the same results as the regular season...

They're fucked. They don't have a lineup that can compete.

KingGondo

Banned
I don't know how you can come to that conclusion.

Going into the series, the Thunder small lineup was their only positive one against the Spurs (+19 in 43 min). When they've gone Ibaka+Perk in the past, they've gotten demolished. Like, demolished (-27 in 101 min). The script was flipped in game 1, and the Thunder small lineup was unproductive and their bigs played well....however, I think thats highly misleading. The big lineup had a strong first half because the Spurs played like ass. I know that sounds homerish but its fucking true if you watched the game; the fact that it was by 1 with 14 TOs is all you need to know. I really doubt Ibaka+Perk will be successful against the Spurs, especially with how disrespectful the Spurs defense was of their interior...the Thunder simply can't score with that unit.

So you'd think small ball would be the answer, and thats what Brooks resorted to in the 4th. But the regular season numbers are with Richard Jefferson and not Stephen Jackson. And heres where it gets interesting: JAX is an awesome small ball 4, and I think game 1 showed that whatever advantages OKC had going small were neutralized in that acquisition. JAX is big, strong, and long enough to play the 4, and with Duncan as the best big on the court and our deeper guard rotation (we don't have to play Fisher and Cook when we go small ffs), I think we now have the advantage in small ball as well.

I'm not sure what adjustments Brooks can make. He'll probably try to go big, but I have a feeling that will just produce the same results as the regular season...

They're fucked. They don't have a lineup that can compete.
Well, yeah... That's just like... your opinion, man.

KingGondo

Banned
Great response.

You sure love your repeating ellipses, don't you?

bati <3
You have some persuasive points.

I think that on a baseline level, the Spurs are a better team than the Thunder overall. I admitted that it will take the best basketball OKC has played all year to have a chance of winning the series.

This has led me to formulate a new, more aggressive strategy against the Spurs:

Outright thuggery.

Time for Aldrich to earn that paycheck.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
These Spurs don't D up, right? They're 9-0 this postseason and held opposition below 100 points every time. Which Elias says is an NBA first

BUT SHADOWDORK SAID

EDIT: Cole Aldrich gets a paycheck? I thought he was doing an unpaid internship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom