• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Playoffs |OT3| If he dies, he dies *wink*

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Oh shit Dy, Quin Snyder interviewing for the HC job with your cats. A Dukie head coach too? Quin is a good coach but he's about as shady as Calipari. I'd love for him to take over for K....provided he didn't get caught again.
I wouldn't mind him.

But sweet dear Jesus I ain't ready for tonight

giri

the Spurs look so unstoppable but right now what I am clinging onto is that Wade, battier, and leBron are a much better perimeter defensive unit than anything OKC can throw out there. and joel anthony while he is worthless mostly he is a far better pick and roll defender than anyone okc has and is a good rim protector against their layups

but they are smart and don't get fazed :(

Are they though?

Sefelosha is better than wade. Durant isn't terrible, and westbrook has been busting his ass trying to keep up with TP and he's fairly decent PG defender.

I can see the argument for miami being slightly better, but nothing astoundingly so.

i think wade would have to guard Parker 24/7

lol chalmers will get eaten alive

i can see Lebron want to guard Duncan, hes still mad that they swept him.

linsivvi

deja.gif

I did the ESPN draft simulator 4 times. Cats got Davis once. The other 3 times they landed 2nd twice and 3rd once. All 3 times selecting Beal.

How do you feel about Beal future Dy? Dy, you there?

What can Brooks do to counter the Spurs?

Sit Perkin's and Fisher's ass down.

Play small ball and make it ugly. Switch on screens, force the Spurs to play isolation basketball.

Keep two of the Big three in the game at all times.

Pray Daequan Cook can make 3pt shots.

JohnsonUT

Play small ball and make it ugly. Switch on screens, force the Spurs to play isolation basketball.

For #1, who would play instead? Nazr??

Jeff Van Gundy just said out of the blue on PTI that he thinks Dwight will re-up long term with Orlando

Did we get JAXXXXXXX as GM and Monta Ellis as head coach?

giri

#1: Ibaka and collison have been as bad as perkins. it's not that simple
#2: You do that they play splitter and TD, or Diaw and TD.
#3: Should be a general rule, but it's not how they got here.
#4: Cook is more of a gamble than sefelosha or fisher.

Vahagn

So remember when I said I hoped the Thunder can win the series and that they would win?

That's all over.

Thunder big three basically score 30 a piece and they still get dominated all game? This is a joke...I've resigned to the truth, Timmy's getting his 5th

At least the Miami experiment will be blown up soon.

#1: Ibaka and collison have been as bad as perkins. it's not that simple
#2: You do that they play splitter and TD, or Diaw and TD.
#3: Should be a general rule, but it's not how they got here.
#4: Cook is more of a gamble than sefelosha or fisher.
#1 Ibaka and Collison can at least play the PnR defense decent enough. Perkins is a lost cause and bleeding their perimeter defense.

#2 Durant would be in the 4 spot. So TD, Diaw, or Splitter is going to guard him on the perimeter? This is a gamble, but force the Spurs to match up.

#3 Playoffs are a different animal. Cutting the rotation to 8 guys is common and keep 2 of the Big 3 should be part of the game plan.

#4 This is a prayer. Fisher and Sefelosha are huge liabilities on offense. Cook could boost their perimeter shooting.

If the Thunder keep their lineup and rotations, there are only 2 ways they can win a game. Offensive rebounding and FThunder. With no post-up game, they don't have much to rely upon in the half-court against the Spurs. The bigs can't shoot and the rest of the players are forced into tough shots in the lane or contested jumpers.

First, they need to stop the Spurs from scoring so easily in the halfcourt off PnR. A switching defense can stifle movement in the half court. Then a small lineup can run the ball off misses which is their strength.

Good to know the entire future of our franchise revolves around us trading for/signing the biggest primadonna in the league and getting a top 3 pick all in the next 4 weeks. :/

#2 Durant would be in the 4 spot. So TD, Diaw, or Splitter is going to guard him on the perimeter? This is a gamble, but force the Spurs to match up.

No.

The suggested smallball lineup is generally YNB-Harden-Sef-Durant-Ibaka

The Spurs have 3 very good counters:

1) Parker-Manu-Jax/Kawhi-Diaw-Duncan: Jax/Kawhi guards Durant, Diaw hides on Sef. Spurs dominate inside and on the boards.
2) Parker-Manu-Kawhi-Jax-Duncan: Kawhi on Harden, Jax on Durant, Parker on Westbrook. Manu plays free safety.
3) Parker-Manu-Green-Kawhi/Jax-Duncan: Green guards YNB, Manu on Harden, Kawhi/Jax on Durant

Option 1) if Sef isn't making his shots. Option 2) if Harden is causing havok. Option 3) if YNB is the worry.

giri

#1 Ibaka and Collison can at least play the PnR defense decent enough. Perkins is a lost cause and bleeding their perimeter defense.

#3 Playoffs are a different animal. Cutting the rotation to 8 guys is common and keep 2 of the Big 3 should be part of the game plan.

#4 This is a prayer. Fisher and Sefelosha are huge liabilities on offense. Cook could boost their perimeter shooting.

If the Thunder keep their lineup and rotations, there are only 2 ways they can win a game. Offensive rebounding and FThunder. With no post-up game, they don't have much to rely upon in the half-court against the Spurs. The bigs can't shoot and the rest of the players are forced into tough shots in the lane or contested jumpers.

First, they need to stop the Spurs from scoring so easily in the halfcourt off PnR. A switching defense can stifle movement in the half court. Then a small lineup can run the ball off misses which is their strength.
#1: then why haven't they? What then happens where Duncan and Diaw abuse them in the post?
#2: No. Leonard or Jax will be defending Durant. Sefelosha or Fisher (Diaw / Bonner guarded fisher last night) will be who they guard / rotate off of.
#3: People say this every year. People get proven wrong every year. Mavs went 10 or 11 deep last year.
#4: Thunder aren't having that much trouble scoring.... and cook is a massive liability on defense.

#5: they shot 40 odd FT's last night. They're getting to the line.

You make it sound like 4 adjustments are the key to success... but those things have all been tried for stretches this series and have failed.

The only thing i think they could really try is a YNB, Harden, Durant, Collison, Ibaka line up. Going small for the thunder hasn't been that great for them.

Thunder big three basically score 30 a piece and they still get dominated all game? This is a joke...I've resigned to the truth, Timmy's getting his 5th

At least the Miami experiment will be blown up soon.

Naw, the Miami experiment would only blow up soon if the Heat had lost to the Pacers or they somehow lose to the Celts.

But if they make the Finals, it will be the second consecutive trip so they won't blow it up just yet. Most likely they'll blame it on Bosh not being 100% and they'll wait another year for the Spurs to get even older. The East is so damn weak (especially with Rose likely being out next season too) that there's no reason to blow up the Miami experiment when they're basically getting a free pass to the Finals every year.

The Celtics would have to humiliate Miami this series to send the Heat organization into panic mode. And it just doesn't seem the Czz are healthy enough to do that.

Flash

I really don't see Spo sticking around if the heat lose this year. Not sure if Pat will come in, but i'm certain they'll try something else.

Blowing it up is going to be a bit difficult. They'll get low balled pretty hard for Bosh because he's underused so his stats aren't as good as they could be. Trading a 3 time MVP could be disastrous so no way they do that. Only guy is Wade but he's their guy. And he's definitely not the same as he once was so I don't know how much value you get out of him either.

If I were Pat and I wanted to blow things up, I'd see what a team like the Nuggets would offer. They could get a bunch of good and young role players for one of their stars.

Are they though?

Sefelosha is better than wade. Durant isn't terrible, and westbrook has been busting his ass trying to keep up with TP and he's fairly decent PG defender.

I can see the argument for miami being slightly better, but nothing astoundingly so.

YNB is a terrible defender and Durant is extremely average whereas LeBron is one of the five best perimeter defenders in the NBA.

The only thing i think they could really try is a YNB, Harden, Durant, Collison, Ibaka line up. Going small for the thunder hasn't been that great for them.

Seems very vulnerable to a Splitter-Duncan hyperbig lineup. The lane will be clogged and OKC will be forced into tough jumpers..

I really don't think there is an adjustment to make. Brooks is going to get unfairly criticized for his scrambling, but the poor guy is looking for an answer that doesn't exist. What they need to beat the Spurs (lol) isn't attainable with a simple lineup change. They need different personnel and entirely different offensive and defensive philosophies..

Or maybe they don't. A team like these Spurs doesn't come around often. They might squeak out a ring or two playing as they do now. Who knows.

giri

YNB is a terrible defender and Durant is extremely average whereas LeBron is one of the five best perimeter defenders in the NBA.

As a trio of defenders, though, are current battier, wade and LBJ SIGNIFICANTLY, better than YNB, Durant, Sefelosha? Sefelosha is probably the second best perimeter defender in the NBA behind allen. And wade likes to take time off regularly.

Eh, as a trio i don't think there's a whole lot between, but miami is slightly better.

Vahagn

Naw, the Miami experiment would only blow up soon if the Heat had lost to the Pacers or they somehow lose to the Celts.

But if they make the Finals, it will be the second consecutive trip so they won't blow it up just yet. Most likely they'll blame it on Bosh not being 100% and they'll wait another year for the Spurs to get even older. The East is so damn weak (especially with Rose likely being out next season too) that there's no reason to blow up the Miami experiment when they're basically getting a free pass to the Finals every year.

The Celtics would have to humiliate Miami this series to send the Heat organization into panic mode. And it just doesn't seem the Czz are healthy enough to do that.

The longer they go without blowing it up, and the more chances they have to fail, the worse it will be...so I'm ok with that. If they were smart, they'd wait to see how Dwight does next season, and then trade him for Bron straight up.

Bron gets relegated to a team he can't win with so he's no longer a threat, and the Heat instantly improve their rebounding / half court offense problems.

The longer they go without blowing it up, and the more chances they have to fail, the worse it will be...so I'm ok with that. If they were smart, they'd wait to see how Dwight does next season, and then trade him for Bron straight up.

Bron gets relegated to a team he can't win with so he's no longer a threat, and the Heat instantly improve their rebounding / half court offense problems.

God no. You do NOT trade LeBron James in his prime for a Dwight Howard who just had back surgery. I doubt Dwight will ever be the same.

I freely admit the Thunder don't have much of a chance to counter the Spurs. At this point, they need to figure out what lineup is going to help them get stops. Perkins flatly cannot play big minutes in this series. Thefolosha should be on Ginobili. The PnR defense needs to tweaked with personnel or tactically.

Depending on how the games will be reffed in OKC, the series could be more competitive based on adjustments. They really can't allow Ginobili and Parker to shoot 22 for 32. At this point, it's a better gamble to let Duncan beat them.

I don't give the Thunder much of a chance either way.

giri

Seems very vulnerable to a Splitter-Duncan hyperbig lineup. The lane will be clogged and OKC will be forced into tough jumpers..

I really don't think there is an adjustment to make. Brooks is going to get unfairly criticized for his scrambling, but the poor guy is looking for an answer that doesn't exist. What they need to beat the Spurs (lol) isn't attainable with a simple lineup change. They need different personnel and entirely different offensive and defensive philosophies..

Or maybe they don't. A team like these Spurs doesn't come around often. They might squeak out a ring or two playing as they do now. Who knows.

OKC gets a lot of their points from Durant hitting long 2's and Westbrook chucking elbow jumpers. So... it's not anything new for them.

Flash

thing is, no matter where LeBron is I can't imagine them not being a top seed. Individually, he's a beast and easily the best player in the NBA. He did quite a bit with some seriously bad Cleveland teams.

Vahagn

God no. You do NOT trade LeBron James in his prime for a Dwight Howard who just had back surgery. I doubt Dwight will ever be the same.

Dwight's younger...and that's why you wait to see what happens with Dwight next season. If he's not the same, obviously you don't make a trade. But if he is, you absolutely do. And Prime Lebron doesn't mean anything if he's on the Orlando Magic, he's not stopping the Heat.

the Spurs look so unstoppable but right now what I am clinging onto is that Wade, battier, and leBron are a much better perimeter defensive unit than anything OKC can throw out there. and joel anthony while he is worthless mostly he is a far better pick and roll defender than anyone okc has and is a good rim protector against their layups

but they are smart and don't get fazed :(

Another problem is in a close game, Pop can get his team to execute FAR better than Spo. I make fun of Lebron wilting like a flower in pressurized close games, but Spo also goes into panic mode by calling a bunch of timeouts early in the 4th, leaving him with little flexibility at the end in close games. Spo also can't effectively yell at his star players.

When Wade and Spo had a confrontation the other week, Wade's teammates had to restrain him and Wade never turned it around that game. Spo and Wade also didn't speak with each other for a couple of days after that.

Whereas when Pop and Parker got into it, Pop was actually effective and Parker got back to the game plan. There wasn't any animosity and Parker was putting his arm around Pop not long after.

Pop has the respect of his players, including his stars. And he can push some buttons of his players without it being a 2-3 day media story. Spo in comparison is basically just a glorified motivational speaker. He can amplify existing emotions but he can't turn the ship around.

giri

thing is, no matter where LeBron is I can't imagine them not being a top seed. Individually, he's a beast and easily the best player in the NBA. He did quite a bit with some seriously bad Cleveland teams.

Fallacy. But moving on.

I'd trade LBJ, as i think that is who you wil lget most value for. Wade has proven he can still get it done in the play offs. And it's easier to pick up a decent wing than it is a serviceable big.

I'm not sure Dwights the Answer, but i'm sure the maloofs would give up DMC and pieces for the revenue of LBJ.

Dwight's younger...and that's why you wait to see what happens with Dwight next season. If he's not the same, obviously you don't make a trade. But if he is, you absolutely do. And Prime Lebron doesn't mean anything if he's on the Orlando Magic, he's not stopping the Heat.

And you're pairing Dwight with who? Bosh and Wade? Wade who will be 31-32 next year and who will contribute even less than this year? Yea, no.

OKC gets a lot of their points from Durant hitting long 2's and Westbrook chucking elbow jumpers. So... it's not anything new for them.

Thats not exactly a solid gameplan tho lol

But I will say that I was damn impressed that the Thunder managed to put up so many points. Now, the stats are hella misleading because there were so many possessions/fouls, but the Spurs have been so good defensively this postseason, that its shocking the Thunder managed to put up so much offense in the 2nd half regardless of pace.

None of it was consistent offense, sure, but I think that speaks to the talent of their star players

Vahagn

And you're pairing Dwight with who? Bosh and Wade? Wade who will be 31-32 next year and who will contribute even less than this year? Yea, no.

That's a chip. Lebron's performance for 90 games doesn't count if he comes up short in 5 or 6 of them in the end, and if they lose this year, you can guarantee that will happen again.

But I will say that I was damn impressed that the Thunder managed to put up so many points. Now, the stats are hella misleading because there were so many possessions/fouls, but the Spurs have been so good defensively this postseason, that its shocking the Thunder managed to put up so much offense in the 2nd half regardless of pace.

None of it is consistent offense, sure, but I think that speaks to the talent of their star players

The only reason I have to root against the Spurs are the cockiness of Timberlake and Jobber. Ugh.

That's a chip. Lebron's performance for 90 games doesn't count if he comes up short in 5 or 6 of them in the end, and if they lose this year, you can guarantee that will happen again.

Yea, that isn't happening. Howard, an old ass Wade, and Bosh are not winning the chip.

Lebron's performance for 90 games doesn't count if he comes up short in 5 or 6 of them in the end, and if they lose this year, you can guarantee that will happen again.

Come short? I'm all for criticizing LBJ, and trust me I have and will continue to do so, but there is no shame in losing this year.

Unless Bron has a(nother) historically bad Finals, I can't say hes to blame for losing to this Spurs team. I don't find his team's accomplishments this year particularly impressive (getting to the Finals with 3 of the best players in the league in a weak & injured conference) but they're still accomplishments...and LBJ is a big part of that. Just because they can't beat an unbeatable team doesn't mean everything else LBJ has done was a waste.

Pop is a genius. Any other team would've lost. Its too fucking bad Justin timbergirl is such a huge douche, I'd be more inclined to root for the spurs othererwise.

The only reason I have to root against the Spurs are the cockiness of Timberlake and Jobber. Ugh.

lol literally everyone on this forum is saying the Spurs are unbeatable but me and jobber say it and all of a sudden we're cocky

And whatever clovis I can pop off if I want to. As beautiful as you might find the Spurs' play, its even more exciting for me. Let me have my fun.

giri

None of it was consistent offense, sure, but I think that speaks to the talent of their star players

Thats what got OKC to here, and through the regular season. They'll survive on it if they have too. It's not traditionally a great way to run an offense, but it works (sort of) for them.

156123_10151792465975305_221292025304_24190007_1120719821_n.jpg

NBA2K12-Logo.png

They changed the logo a bit from last year, this is why we spend $60 each year.
$120 AU.

And I didn't buy it last year, and i won't be buying it again this year until they completely revamp and fix their engine and online play from the ground up.

I'm completely disillusioned, with the franchise.

Come short? I'm all for criticizing LBJ, and trust me I have and will continue to do so, but there is no shame in losing this year.

Unless Bron has a(nother) historically bad Finals, I can't say hes to blame for losing to this Spurs team. I don't find his team's accomplishments this year particularly impressive (getting to the Finals with 3 of the best players in the league in a weak & injured conference) but they're still accomplishments...and LBJ is a big part of that. Just because they can't beat an unbeatable team doesn't mean everything else LBJ has done was a waste.

lol literally everyone on this forum is saying the Spurs are unbeatable but me and jobber say it and all of a sudden we're cocky

And whatever clovis I can pop off if I want to. As beautiful as you might find the Spurs' play, its even more exciting for me. Let me have my fun.

You're the one who is acting as if its a forgone conclusion they're going 16-0.

pilonv1

--During last night's pre-game show for the Oklahoma City Thunder vs. San Antonio Spurs game, Charles Barkley was criticizing today's players sense of fashion. Barkley talked about how no man should wear red pants. Later in the show, they found a photo of Barkley wearing, you guessed it, red Zubaz pants. Everyone made fun of him but he said he was given the pants by the Road Warriors (who were part owner of Zubaz in those days). Barkley yelled at Shaquille O'Neal saying that he doesn't even know what he's talking about when it came to the Road Warriors, and that it's wrestling and he should know. (thanks to Anthony Ardolino)

LOL someone tell me this is on youtube.

Vahagn

I'm really glad Kobe defines years he doesn't win chips as "a wasted year of my life"

Injuries happen when you build a team around 3 players and 12 scrubs. Everyone knew this is one of the flaws of this team, lack of depth. Part and parcel of the experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom