• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Playoffs |OT3| If he dies, he dies *wink*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zep

Banned
Really now? Revisionist history bullshit.

List of players Shaq has played with:

Wade
Nash/Amare
Penny
Van Exel/Eddie Jones
Lebron
Celtic Big 3

ALL OF THOSE GUYS WERE ALL STARS WHEN THEY PLAYED WITH SHAQ...how many chips does Shaq have with all of those playoff teams?

Yep...Shaq was in his prime all those years.

Sanjuro

But why in hell would a Laker fan feel more attached to Shaq than Kobe? Or should? There's something about watching a player grow from nothing to now. Pierce will always mean more to you than KG or Ray. And so will Rondo if he never leaves.

You're talking to someone who likes Bledsoe more than Tom Brady.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Really now? Revisionist history bullshit.

List of players Shaq has played with:

Wade
Nash/Amare
Penny
Van Exel/Eddie Jones
Lebron
Celtic Big 3

ALL OF THOSE GUYS WERE ALL STARS WHEN THEY PLAYED WITH SHAQ...how many chips does Shaq have with all of those playoff teams?

One and a finals trip

Without Shaq, Kobe dies like Mac.
Maybe in person. But here?

Some of these dudes posting now said that Pau was a better player than Shaq

even you don't believe this.

Who posted Pau > Shaq? Not Lakers Shaq. No fucking way someone posted that without being in jest.

Kobe would have left LA if there was no Shaq

impossible to ever know this.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Avery is out? :(
Who posted Pau > Shaq? Not Lakers Shaq. No fucking way someone posted that without being in jest.
not joking at all

I'd love to dig up those posts again though. It came right around the same time as "passing out of the double team!" and "Lakers are done in 2-3 years barring a significant roster change"

Vahagn

Blackace you really think the Lakers don't build a championship team around Kobe in 2000 when he hits 21 years old and is balling on ALL NBA Team levels? They did from 2008 on, why wouldn't they then?

Also, by your circular stupid logic, and most everyone else's, Magic (who won no rings without Kareem, and would have never come here in the first place without Kareem) can't be considered a better Laker than Kobe because the same Shaq/Kobe argument you all have been making for the past 2 pages applies...

except Kobe got 2 rings without Shaq

Sanjuro

Yeah, looks like he is being shut down.

He only got THREE votes for the All Defensive team? Stupid league.

Blackace you really think the Lakers don't build a championship team around Kobe in 2000 when he hits 21 years old and is balling on ALL NBA Team levels? They did from 2008 on, why wouldn't they then?

Also, by your circular stupid logic, and most everyone else's, Magic (who won no rings without Kareem, and would have never come here in the first place without Kareem) can't be considered a better Laker than Kobe because the same Shaq/Kareem argument applies...

The Team that Shaq Built.

Mxrz

I still just don't get it. I was only a kid in the early 80s, so maybe I remember wrong. But either way, putting Kobe over him in anyway is just. . ugh. And I liked Kobe.

thekad

Banned

not joking at all

I'd love to dig up those posts again though. It came right around the same time as "passing out of the double team!" and "Lakers are done in 2-3 years barring a significant roster change"

To the ultimate success of the team? You best believe they are. Take Pau off of the Lakers, they don't go to the finals. Take Shaq off of the Lakers and they don't go to the finals. You can replace Artest with Ariza, they make it and have won it. You can replace a lot of players on the Lakers with other role players and they have won the title. Take Pau off of the team and you're left with a Bynum who isn't effective going against the Magic with Dwight Howard and the Celtics with KG and friends. Pau though not the dominating force that Shaq was, his impact on the ultimate success of the team was just as vital as Shaq.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22390630&postcount=18642

LuchaShaq

Banned
which is insane.. because with no Shaq you have no 3peat... and how does Kareem not get treated as a Laker? lol.. just insane..

Biased because of my name but yup.

There is a reason Shaq got all 3 of those finals MVPs, and one of the finals mvps kobe has was 100% pau's if it wasn't for the media.

not joking at all

I don't see the current crop of posters here posting anything this crazy (except maybe Konex).

I guess there will always be crazies, but I assure you the overwhelming majority of Laker fans do not believe that nonsense.

That LS comment is not saying Pau is as good as Shaq. Guess his point went over Kad's head. big shock!

It really isn't.. he lobbied to be traded until they pulled a flimflam and got Pau

With the hindsight of having won 3 titles already. And without Shaq, it's an entirely different team. What if they were contenders by then? Like I said, this is an impossible thing to figure out. So stop.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I remember when Kobe was a free agent and he visited the Clippers.

good times.

DY_nasty

:)
I don't see the current crop of posters here posting anything this crazy (except maybe Konex).

I guess there will always be crazies, but I assure you the overwhelming majority of Laker fans do not believe that nonsense.

That LS comment is not saying Pau is as good as Shaq. Guess his point went over Kad's head. big shock!.

That comment is just one part of a 5 pages of salt between Imperial Conquest, Forcetawolf, Clovis, and some other members of Laker-age.

Blackace

Also, by your circular stupid logic, and most everyone else's, Magic (who won no rings without Kareem, and would have never come here in the first place without Kareem) can't be considered a better Laker than Kobe because the same Shaq/Kareem argument applies...

Yes Kobe did get two rings without Shaq.. did anyone say he didn't? nope they didn't.. thanks for that useless bolding..

and my stupid logic says that Shaq is a Laker great that should be thanked and viewed as highly as Kobe Magic Kareem and West..

And how would Magic have NEVER come to the Lakers? I mean I guess if they won more games the year before he was drafted he would have never come to LA.. but yeah I have no idea what you are talking about..

What I said is based on kobe's actions in the past he wouldn't have stayed on a boarderline playoff team and would have jumped ship to team that had a chance to win a chip if Shaq never came to LA..

Vahagn

1) It's absurd to think that the Lakers organization wouldn't surround Kobe with competitive talent for the first 12 years of his career even if Shaq wasn't here...you can't possibly believe that

2) Kobe took the 5th best power forward at the time (KG, Duncan, Dirk, Amare were all better) to the Finals in 2008 and won two chips right after that. There are a number of different ways the Lakers could have built around Kobe from 2000-2008 that would bring about at least one or two chips...BUT EVEN IF THEY DIDN'T

3) All of the Shaq arguments used against Kobe you guys are making apply to Magic and Kareem and also to West / Wilt. West and Magic likely NEVER WIN without Kareem or Wilt so to consider Magic better than Kobe...JUST BASED OFF THAT, when Kobe actually won without Shaq...shows the flaw in the logic presented...and quite frankly what I've been saying...

People's arguments against Kobe are never consistent with their arguments against other players in similar situations. I.E. you're just being inconsistent, irrational, trolls whenever Kobe's place is brought up

Yes Kobe did get two rings without Shaq.. did anyone say he didn't? nope they didn't.. thanks for that useless bolding..

and my stupid logic says that Shaq is a Laker great that should be thanked and viewed as highly as Kobe Magic Kareem and West..

And how would Magic have NEVER come to the Lakers? I mean I guess if they won more games the year before he was drafted he would have never come to LA.. but yeah I have no idea what you are talking about..

What I said is based on kobe's actions in the past he wouldn't have stayed on a boarderline playoff team and would have jumped ship to team that had a chance to win a chip if Shaq never came to LA..

We've got 16 chips, we don't only care about who wins more chips. For Most Celtic Fans Larry Legend and Bill Russell are right there, and many place Larry Legend above Bill, and if they don't they place him above Cousy or Havlicek despite having less chips.

You want us to value a guy who played here for 7 years as much as 3 guys who played here for 12+ and were great, along with the franchise for a decade? Not going to happen. Again, Kareem is a better player than Magic, but he's not more valuable for Laker fans...if you still don't understand why that is then you're just flat out missing the point.

Blackace

That LS comment is not saying Pau is as good as Shaq. Guess his point went over Kad's head. big shock!

lol it pretty clearly states that Pau is just as vital to the Lakers as Shaq was...

Also that is one post in many..

The Lakers drafted Magic with a pick from the Jazz in the Gail Goodrich trade. Without Goodrich, the Wilt/West Lakers never win a title, Kareem never comes to the Lakers because of this, the New Orleans Jazz don't trade Magic to the Lakers, Shaq never wants to come to LA, Kobe doesn't try to force his way to LA. It all makes perfect sense, Goodrich is the most important person in Lakers history other than Mikan and the superior Minnesota Lakers.

lol it pretty clearly states that Pau is just as vital to the Lakers as Shaq was...

Also that is one post in many..

"Some of these dudes posting now said that Pau was a better player than Shaq"

"as vital as" does not mean "better player than."

Maybe it happened, but that wasn't evidence of it.

DY_nasty

There are dozens of pages of complete garbage that are all about Pau being a better person, player, teammate, etc.

Blackace

1) It's absurd to think that the Lakers organization wouldn't surround Kobe with competitive talent for the first 12 years of his career even if Shaq wasn't here...you can't possibly believe that

2) Kobe took the 5th best power forward at the time (KG, Duncan, Dirk, Amare were all better) to the Finals in 2008 and won two chips right after that. There are a number of different ways the Lakers could have built around Kobe from 2000-2008 that would bring about at least one or two chips...BUT EVEN IF THEY DIDN'T

3) All of the Shaq arguments used against Kobe you guys are making apply to Magic and Kareem and also to West / Wilt. West and Magic likely NEVER WIN without Kareem or Wilt so to consider Magic better than Kobe...JUST BASED OFF THAT, when Kobe actually won without Shaq...shows the flaw in the logic presented...and quite frankly what I've been saying...

People's arguments against Kobe are never consistent with their arguments against other players in similar situations. I.E. you're just being inconsistent, irrational, trolls whenever Kobe's place is brought up

That's because nobody else claimed that Magic a better Laker than Kareem other than some Laker fans.. And selling Shaq short is as inconsistent as it gets..

Sure the Lakers would have gotten some players but would any of them have been better than Shaq? No.. On almost any team in the NBA Shaq would have posted those numbers because he was truly a one man show for a few years..

West played in a different era, where teams had more talent per team than now.. So he gets a bit of a pass for not winning until he linked up with Wilt.. Wilt does have 2 chips because big men are far more vaulable than wings not named Michael Jordan...

Blackace

Comparing Pau to Shaq and not having the words Soft served ice cream, puppies or Wiz Khalifa is plain wrong..

Comparing Pau to Shaq and not having the words Soft served ice cream, puppies or Wiz Khalifa is plain wrong..

Fair enough, but it's still not evidence of what Dy claimed.

There are dozens of pages of complete garbage that are all about Pau being a better person, player, teammate, etc.

Maybe. But according to you it was done by the 2 most "off the wall" laker fans from what you said on that page.

Although I have a hard time believing someone would claim he was actually a better player at their primes. I'd love to see that.

Vahagn

That's because nobody else claimed that Magic a better Laker than Kareem other than some Laker fans.. And selling Shaq short is as inconsistent as it gets..

Sure the Lakers would have gotten some players but would any of them have been better than Shaq? No.. On almost any team in the NBA Shaq would have posted those numbers because he was truly a one man show for a few years..

West played in a different era, where teams had more talent per team than now.. So he gets a bit of a pass for not winning until he linked up with Wilt.. Wilt does have 2 chips because big men are far more vaulable than wings not named Michael Jordan...

What are you on? Magic is the ONLY answer as to who the best Laker of all time is when compared to Kareem. It's about as debateable as "Is Michael Jordan the best player of all time". Kareem was NEVER in the conversation...he spent half his Lakers career past his prime and bald and before Magic came aboard, he wasn't winning anything (not to to be blamed, but also not to be credited)

Not the years they were winning! How is Kobe being an All Star Starter, and All NBA Team Selection on both sides, as well as 22-28 ppg make Shaq a "one man show"...Sure Kobe doesn't get someone as good as Shaq, but with the money Shaq was getting, he would have 2 or 3 other great players he could contend with if the team was built right.

We're not selling Shaq short. He brought us 3 chips, and his Laker team underachieved for 3 years prior to those 3 chips, then he burned bridges, left, and threw everyone in the organization under the bus.

As for Kobe's "trade me" situation, he was clearly all about "Trade me if you're not willing to build a team around me"...not much different from "Fire Coach Westhead or trade me" that Magic did...I have no problem with Magic or Kobe using that tactic to push management to make the right choice to improve our team, and both did that, and then held up their end of the bargain and won chips when management did so.

DY_nasty

Fair enough, but it's still not evidence of what Dy claimed.

Maybe. But according to you it was done by the 2 most "off the wall" laker fans from what you said on that page.

Although I have a hard time believing someone would claim he was actually a better player at their primes. I'd love to see that.

Its not like you're the only person denying it. Everyone who was around at the time says it went down and that it was completely shameful.

Its like when Chars said that Crawford > Wade. Except it was a whole gang of people who said that Pau was better for LA than Shaq was.

Also, you're about to be a pony.

Its not like you're the only person denying it. Everyone who was around at the time says it went down and that it was completely shameful.

Its like when Chars said that Crawford > Wade. Except it was a whole gang of people who said that Pau was better for LA than Shaq was.

eh, given how people have trouble interpreting things, that won't convince me. But even if you did, you shouldn't assume that repesents most fans of any kind.

Also, you're about to be a pony.

You're a cruel, cruel man. I'd have never pony'd you. You will rue the day you pony me. RUE IT I SAY.

Why does Vag keep mentioning that Kareem was bald? WTF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom