• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Playoffs |OT3| If he dies, he dies *wink*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
His prime wasn't spent here, Magic won a chip in his rookie year when Kareem got injured and Kareem was old and bald for most of his Laker tenure.

Also, and this may be a subconscious part of it, but our franchise has always been about entertainment and flash as well as excellence. And perimeter players fit more with the LA mentality than Old Grumpy Big Men.

The most "LA" thing Kareem ever did

bruce-lee48_display_image.jpg

lol you have to be the most insane fan I have ever seen...

Sanjuro

If KG had a season like where he won the MVP, Finals MVP and even the All-Star MVP I am sure he would get his props..

But KG spent his prime and most of his career somewhere else.

Shaq spent his prime as a Laker he was only in Orl for 4 years..

And is Dennis Johnson a Celtic??

I still can't believe he is gone.

...and yeah, the comparison is absurd.

If KG had a season like where he won the MVP, Finals MVP and even the All-Star MVP I am sure he would get his props..

But KG spent his prime and most of his career somewhere else.

Shaq spent his prime as a Laker he was only in Orl for 4 years..

And is Dennis Johnson a Celtic??

He didn't spend half his career in LA. He's more Lakers than anywhere else, but he's not on the same level in Laker lore as Kobe, Magic, etc even if he's better.

You're underestimating the value of watching Kobe go from a 17 year old rookie to a HOF player. That is waaaaay more ingrained into the fans than someone coming over in his prime and spending half his career there. Kobe grew here before our eyes. Like I said, it's not comparable.

The argument isn't that Shaq isn't a Laker. He is. But not like Kobe, Magic, West.

Blackace

I still can't believe he is gone.

...and yeah, the comparison is absurd.

DJ bled green!

minus that stint in Phx.. I hate Paul Westphal on so many levels..

I am finding the Laker "one drop rule" to be amusing..

Kobe was drafted by another team tho.. how does this affect his legacy?

Blackace

He didn't spend half his career in LA. He's more Lakers than anywhere else, but he's not on the same level in Laker lore as Kobe, Magic, etc even if he's better.

You're underestimating the value of watching Kobe go from a 17 year old rookie to a HOF player. That is waaaaay more ingrained into the fans than someone coming over in his prime and spending half his career there. Kobe grew here before our eyes. Like I said, it's not comparable.

The argument isn't that Shaq isn't a Laker. He is. But not like Kobe, Magic, West.

which is insane.. because with no Shaq you have no 3peat... and how does Kareem not get treated as a Laker? lol.. just insane..

Shaq in a Lakers outfit may be the most dominant player in the game. Dude was godlike.

Also, this is the first time I'm hearing about Kareem NOT being considered a Laker. I mean, what in the actual FUCK

Blackace

The actually biggest question about Shaq being a GM is

What would his GM nickname be?

Vahagn

kobe didnt define a decade of greatness wtf are you talking about vag

he defined being robin on three rings and winning two while being the best player on one of those finals trips

how does he get the credit in your warped, laker fan mind

because the gm didnt pull the trigger on the chicago trade?

smh

oh right its vag nm

Hey dipshit, West defined a decade of greatness even though he didn't win 10 chips. Magic defined a decade of greatness, even though Kareem was the better player for half of it, Bird defined a decade of greatness, even though he has the same number of Finals MVP's as Kobe.

Kobe's been great for a decade, the team has been great for a decade with the exception of a 3 year rebuilding process. That's called defining a decade of greatness because from 2000-2010 we got to 7 finals appearances and Kobe was great every year. How is that not understandable.

What's hilarious to me, is you're challenging Shaq's worth over Kobe, but not mentioning West or Magic who have equal or less Finals MVP's as Shaq? Why? Because you have no rationality, you're just here to denigrate Kobe every chance you get.

Sanjuro

DJ bled green!

minus that stint in Phx.. I hate Paul Westphal on so many levels..

I am finding the Laker "one drop rule" to be amusing..

Kobe was drafted by another team tho.. how does this affect his legacy?

Even more tarnish for Kobe's legacy.

5F3LC.jpg

which is insane.. because with no Shaq you have no 3peat... and how does Kareem not get treated as a Laker? lol.. just insane..

I don't think he's not saying they won't be remembered as great Lakers, just that there is something different about guys that spent their entire careers here, like Kobe and Magic and West. Kareem is loved in LA. ANd I'm sure Shaq will be too. But Kobe and Magic are like the Kings of LA.

And if there's no Kobe they also don't 3peat. What does that prove.

Are you following the argument because I think you're missing something. Do you really think Shaq should be as prominent in Laker lore as Kobe to Laker fans? That would be insane.

I don't think he's not saying they won't be remembered as great Lakers, just that there is something different about guys that spent their entire careers here, like Kobe and Magic and West. Kareem is loved in LA. ANd I'm sure Shaq will be too. But Kobe and Magic are like the Kings of LA.

This.

And Shaq is still loved out here. He comes to LA all the time and is stopped and thanked.

Vahagn

Magic has 3 Finals MVP's, Shaq has 3 Finals MVP's

Shaq is as valuable to the Lakers Organization as Magic CONFIRMED.

I'm sorry we've got a number of all time greats in our franchise, we're going to naturally value some more than others, get over it.

Did Legs just call the corpse of Shaq, the corpse of Jermaine O'Neal, and Kendrick Perkins "dominant centers" wtf.

Boston Globe reporting that Avery Bradley is likely done for the season.

Celtics now would have no chance at Miami.

Omega

Banned
Is Ray Allen even worth a vet minimum anymore?
Yeah, but he's been kind of injury plagued.

To the outside world, sure.

But in practically every Lakers fan's pantheon West/Magic/Kobe stand above everyone else...they stayed here for their whole careers and defined a decade of greatness each.

Elgin/Worthy/Mikan are of a different class and Shaq/Kareem/Wilt are of a different class too

Wasn't exactly Shaq's choice to leave. Kobe forced him out.

His prime wasn't spent here, Magic won a chip in his rookie year when Kareem got injured and Kareem was old and bald for most of his Laker tenure.

Also, and this may be a subconscious part of it, but our franchise has always been about entertainment and flash as well as excellence. And perimeter players fit more with the LA mentality than Old Grumpy Big Men.

The most "LA" thing Kareem ever did

I doubt anyone is a bigger Magic fan then I am.. but without Kareem they probably don't win many rings, if any.

His big time performance in Game 6 isn't even a possibility if Kareem never joined the Lakers because they wouldn't even make it there. It's a bit unfair to exclude him from the pantheon just because he wasn't a Laker for life. Wasn't his fault he was drafted by Milwaukee..

While we're pretending to care what spoiled Laker fans think..

Do you guys really think Kobe is the greatest Laker of all time, or was that the media being stupid as usual?

Sanjuro

I've listened to reason. Robert Parish wasn't really a Celtic. Sure, we had him during his prime, but he went to Chicago for ultimate glory. He will never be on McHale tier.

Blackace

I can't understand how you would think of Kareem as anything other than one of the greatest players who ever wore a Lake uni... West/Magic/Kareem should be your mantra. with Kobe/Shaq and your side dish..

And if there's no Kobe they also don't 3peat. What does that prove.

Are you following the argument because I think you're missing something. Do you really think Shaq should be as prominent in Laker lore as Kobe to Laker fans? That would be insane.

Shaq could have chipped once with Eddie Jones!
Magic has 3 Finals MVP's, Shaq has 3 Finals MVP's

Shaq is as valuable to the Lakers Organization as Magic CONFIRMED.

I'm sorry we've got a number of all time greats in our franchise, we're going to naturally value some more than others, get over it.

One of the sanest thing you said!

No doubt Magic was more valuable for a number of reasons.. but Shaq defined and returned the Lakers from the Del Harris era.. before that they were a worst version of the Warriors...

I've listened to reason. Robert Parish wasn't really a Celtic. Sure, we had him during his prime, but he went to Chicago for ultimate glory. He will never be on McHale tier.

How many times do we have to tell you Shaq is a Laker first until you stop with the stupid straw man?

I get it, you're upset your team is going to 7 against a team led by lou williams.

No doubt Magic was more valuable for a number of reasons.. but Shaq defined and returned the Lakers from the Del Harris era.. before that they were a worst version of the Warriors...

Shaq was part of the del harris era.

Vahagn

Yeah, but he's been kind of injury plagued.

Wasn't exactly Shaq's choice to leave. Kobe forced him out.

I doubt anyone is a bigger Magic fan then I am.. but without Kareem they probably don't win many rings, if any.

His big time performance in Game 6 isn't even a possibility if Kareem never joined the Lakers because they wouldn't even make it there. It's a bit unfair to exclude him from the pantheon just because he wasn't a Laker for life. Wasn't his fault he was drafted by Milwaukee..

While we're pretending to care what spoiled Laker fans think..

Do you guys really think Kobe is the greatest Laker of all time, or was that the media being stupid as usual?

I think Wilt and Kareem are better players than Magic. But I don't think they're greater Lakers. This isn't arguable at this point. West/Magic/Kobe are above and beyond everyone else in Laker lore, they were the icons for a decade of greatness each, they stayed for their entire careers.

And Magic/Kobe is a valid debate in LA and as far as I'm concerned, taking whichever side is a point of personal preference and either side of the argument is valid.

Magic himself came out on ESPN and said Kobe's better, West said Kobe's the best Laker ever, so has Shaq...so are they also part of the "stupid media"

Sanjuro

How many times do we have to tell you Shaq is a Laker first until you stop with the stupid straw man?

I get it, you're upset your team is going to 7 against a team led by lou williams.

How come you guys always resort to salt?

Shaq is a Laker. Sure. Not on Kobe's tier? Eh. Not buying it. If we were up to Back to the Future antics and removed Shaq, there is a high probability Kobe amounts to nothing for the Lakers.

How about Fox?

I always liked Rick Fox, but even then I could tell he didn't give a shit about playing here. Hell, nobody really did.

Because of money. They couldn't both pay him and Kobe. They chose Kobe. If they could have they would have kept both.

And Kobe demanded a trade too a year or two later.

ehh, is was more about Shaq getting worse and wanting to be paid $30 million a season for it. If they had their choice, they would have tried to keep Shaq for 2 more years then unload him, but he forced their hand.

Miami extended Shaq, remember, and for the final 3 years was a boondoggle on his teams' salary.

Vahagn

Shaq is a Laker. Sure. Not on Kobe's tier? Eh. Not buying it. If we were up to Back to the Future antics and removed Shaq, there is a high probability Kobe amounts to nothing for the Lakers.

I always liked Rick Fox, but even then I could tell he didn't give a shit about playing here. Hell, nobody really did.

You HONESTLY think, someone like Kobe amounts to nothing for the Lakers? Shaq didn't make Kobe an All Star, Kobe was a better player after Shaq left, and a better player when Shaq was injured.

Does he win 5 rings without Shaq? Possibly not. But you're crazy if you don't think Jerry West and Jerry Buss don't build a competitive team around Kobe from 2000 on...

Sanjuro

You HONESTLY think, someone like Kobe amounts to nothing for the Lakers? Shaq didn't make Kobe an All Star, Kobe was a better player after Shaq left, and a better player when Shaq was injured.

Does he win 5 rings without Shaq? Possibly not. But you're crazy if you don't think Jerry West and Jerry Buss don't build a competitive team around Kobe from 2000 on...

Yes, I honestly do. He probably would have played well for somebody else.

effzee

Well you guys sure wouldn't have had Phil Jackson come coach for you. Especially not young much bigger douchebag KoMe.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Kobe the best Laker ever?????

Hahahahahahahahaahhaahaahahha

Blackace

playoffs sure.. rings no?

Now Shaq, he most likely gets 2 rings in his prime.. maybe 3 on almost any playoff team..

effzee

ehh, is was more about Shaq getting worse and wanting to be paid $30 million a season for it. If they had their choice, they would have tried to keep Shaq for 2 more years then unload him, but he forced their hand.

Miami extended Shaq, remember, and for the final 3 years was a boondoggle on his teams' salary.

Still my point stands. LA didn't get rid of Shaq because all of a sudden they didn't need him or he stopped being a top 5 player in the league. Maybe he wasn't the best player anymore but him and Kobe could have probably won another 2 rings together.

Shaq wanted and demanded more money. LA made the choice to unload him and Shaq did go to Miami and win a title so even if Miami crippled their own cap they got a ring out of it.

Main point is that Shaq didn't want to leave but it came down to money.

Kobe spent his entire HOF career in LA. More than twice that of Shaq's. That's all that matters.

if we want to have a conversation of who was the most dominant Laker or the Best Laker solely in terms of quality of play or who had the Best Season, etc,it is a different story.

But why in hell would a Laker fan feel more attached to Shaq than Kobe? Or should? There's something about watching a player grow from nothing to now. Pierce will always mean more to you than KG or Ray. And so will Rondo if he never leaves.

Still my point stands. LA didn't get rid of Shaq because all of a sudden they didn't need him or he stopped being a top 5 player in the league. Maybe he wasn't the best player anymore but him and Kobe could have probably won another 2 rings together.

Shaq wanted and demanded more money. LA made the choice to unload him and Shaq did go to Miami and win a title so even if Miami crippled their own cap they got a ring out of it.

Main point is that Shaq didn't want to leave but it came down to money.

I agree. It came down to money.

Vahagn

playoffs sure.. rings no?

Now Shaq, he most likely gets 2 rings in his prime.. maybe 3 on almost any playoff team..

Really now? Revisionist history bullshit.

List of players Shaq has played with:

Wade
Nash/Amare
Penny
Van Exel/Eddie Jones
Lebron
Celtic Big 3

ALL OF THOSE GUYS WERE ALL STARS WHEN THEY PLAYED WITH SHAQ...how many chips does Shaq have with all of those playoff teams?

You guys are acting like there were a lot of other ALL Star Starting, ALL NBA First/Second Team, First/Second Team Defense guys lying around making only 10-14 million a year so that the team can still build pieces around that person and Shaq?

Shaq has spent his entire career on playoff, all star laden teams...and he's got 4 finals wins and 6 finals losses without Kobe as his 2nd option to show for it

Wade
Nash/Amare
Penny
Van Exel/Eddie Jones
Lebron
Celtic Big 3

ALL OF THOSE GUYS WERE ALL STARS WHEN THEY PLAYED WITH SHAQ...how many chips does Shaq have with all of those playoff teams?

Shaq was kind of 36 years old or other with most of those guys.

effzee

Wade
Nash/Amare
Penny
Van Exel/Eddie Jones
Lebron
Celtic Big 3

Well how do most of them even count when it was all past his prime?

Was he even a factor with the Cavs, Suns, or the Celtics?

He won with LA and one more with Wade/Miami while he was still playing really well.

If Shaq was never in LA, they wouldn't have attracted Phil Jackson, and Kobe might have had 0 rings to show for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom