• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Playoffs |OT3| If he dies, he dies *wink*

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
WTF... Stephen A Smith proposed that the Miami Heat should trade Bosh and Wade to the Lakers for Kobe. smh

On First Take
It always amazes me how he shits on Skip's basketball opinion, but usually just ends up agreeing with Skip on most things, lol. SAS is wrong, and his belief that the Heat are done, simply means that they're going to win in a game 7 blowout, Konex style.

Where do you live, Justin Timberlake? A few places to get decent grub, all within 5 minutes from downtown:

- Original Thai BBQ [3rd St] Their chicken lunch/dinner special is famous. Drizzle the honey bbq sauce evenly over both the chicken and the fluffy shrimp fried rice. Thai iced tea brings it all together.

- Pollos El Brasero [Pico Blvd] (Peruvian fast food) Wood smoked rotisserie chicken with fries and steamed rice. The salsa is magical.

- Don Felix [Virgil @ Beverly] (traditional Peruvian) Saltado de Pollo (sauteed chicken, tomatoes and onions with a side of steamed rice and french fries. Order an Inca Cola and your straight. Don't forget to mix in some of the green sauce and butter into your rice.

- Eastside Market [Alpine St] An authentic Italian Deli near Dodger Stadium, just north of Sunset/Beaudry. Their D.A. Special is insane. Sausage, meatball, roast beef and pastrami with mozzarella and maranara sauce. As a sandwich or open faced on a plate. Very messy.

- El Taurino [Hoover] Good Mexican. Basically they serve up anything you could want and it'll be good to great quality. It doesn't have that dirty lunch truck authenticity to it, but it's still very good eating. From sopes to tortas to tacos and burritos... they serve up everything you could ever want, even tamales.

- Philippe's [Alameda St] French dips. Order two, double dipped with a side of potato salad and you're set.

Wow, that really helps. I still don't really know the dining of the area that well so I've been wanting recommendations like this for a while. I'll definitely save this post.

I live in Santa Monica but work downtown (really close to Staples/LA Live). I spend most of my day downtown though, so those suggestions are super helpful.

<3

Vahagn

If Durant wins the chip he's got to supplant Lebron as best in the league right?

You'd think people would stop being wowed by Lebron's stats by now, it's been 9 years of regular season stat padding

KingGondo

Banned
Tonight's game takes on added significance for me.

If OKC wins, I'll be booking tickets to Prometheus IMAX 3D for Friday night.

If they lose, I'll have to hold off until at least Sunday since Game 7 will be Friday.

I can't take the pressure... :X

Vahagn said:
If Durant wins the chip he's got to supplant Lebron as best in the league right?
To be fair, KD has a much better supporting cast than LBJ has even in Miami. Much more complete roster top-to-bottom.

In Cleveland, he never played with another guy as good as YNB, Harden, or Ibaka are now.

It's still amazing how far LBJ took teams of absolute scrubs in Cleveland.

bron is still better but I can see Durant becoming better if he keeps adding to his game. Bron's J is too shakey to rely on, I don't think he could manage a barrage of mid range Js like Durant has shown. If Durant keeps working on it and is able to do that more than once or twice every other game he'll be the hardest man to guard in the NBA.

WTF... Stephen A Smith proposed that the Miami Heat should trade Bosh and Wade to the Lakers for Kobe. smh

On First Take

As much as I joke on Kobe, I definitely respect him and his game, but WHAT THE FUCK!?! I don't think Skip has ever said anything close to as stupid as this. Tebow for President of Good Job, Good Effort Operations.

A 36 year old averaging 19.9 points on 50% shooting with 10.8 boards and 1.8 blocks on a championship contender in the playoffs.

God damn, KG.

Wow, that really helps. I still don't really know the dining of the area that well so I've been wanting recommendations like this for a while. I'll definitely save this post.

I live in Santa Monica but work downtown (really close to Staples/LA Live). I spend most of my day downtown though, so those suggestions are super helpful.

<3

WTF, u work less than 20-30 mins walking distance from me

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Wasn't that article written right after game 2, where the Lakers were down 0-2? Good times.

Too bad they had Karl Malone on the roster. They had no chance of chipping.

No, the Lakers were insane that year. But so were the Spurs, Wolves, Kings, Pistons, and Pacers.

Despite that, Lakers should have been eliminated by the Spurs in the 2nd round (Spurs choked), and they only got past the wolves in the WCF because both Troy Hudson and Sam Cassell were injured. that left Darrick Martin as the only true point guard for the Wolves, with Fred Hoibert and KG also sharing duties of running the offense. Hoiberg hadn't played the position since high school.

Still took the lakers 6 games to win.

With the 4 core players under the age of 23.

Pretty cray.

As a shameless-sore-loser Sonics fan, my only hope is that each one of those four demand to get paid and the core is broken up.

If the Blazers knew how to draft we wouldn´t have to go through this. As much as i hate Bennet, he does a hell of a job running a team.

<3

To add:

Chinatown - Yang Chows. Order the Slippery Shrimp. Your life will change and you will thank me. But never go on a Fri/sat/ night w/o a reservation Every other time is fine.

Langer's Deli. Best Pastrami. #19. Do it.

The Pantry.

I've heard good things about Nickel Diner, but haven't been.

Also, with Philippes, make sure to use the hot mustard. And do double dip the sandwiches as suggested. If you go before a Dodger game starts, take note it will be packed.

GaimeGuy

A 36 year old averaging 19.9 points on 50% shooting with 10.8 boards and 1.8 blocks on a championship contender in the playoffs.

God damn, KG.

A 36 year old in his 17th season, with 1500 games and 56,000 minutes under his belt.

God damn, KG.

I´m not surprised. He´s healthy. It´s not like this is a first for PFs.

Karl Malone averaged 27 and 9 in the playoffs as a 36 year old. Pretty amazing, but GAF hates his personality, so it´s like it never happened.

I´m not surprised. He´s healthy. It´s not like this is a first for PFs.

Karl Malone averaged 27 and 9 in the playoffs as a 36 year old. Pretty amazing, but GAF hates his personality, so it´s like it never happened.

Malone never had the injury KG had nor started out of highschool into the NBA.

But in fairness, KG hasn't played any bigs of worth at all the entire playoffs except for like 2 games of a just back Horford.

Miami has no one above 6'8...

GaimeGuy

Malone never had the injury KG had nor started out of highschool into the NBA.

But in fairness, KG hasn't played any bigs of worth at all the entire playoffs except for like 2 games of a just back Horford.

Miami has no one above 6'8...

Malone was built for longevity though. He was pretty bulky.

KG is tall and lanky. And the only players in the league who have played similar minutes to him are Kidd and Kobe.

Here's something to ponder: KG, Allen, and Pierce have played 123, 126, and 128 playoff games, respectively. Lebron has already played 108. Wade 103. They're much bigger playoff veterans than KG, Pierce, and Allen were when they joined together in Boston.

KingGondo

Banned
As a shameless-sore-loser Sonics fan, my only hope is that each one of those four demand to get paid and the core is broken up.

If the Blazers knew how to draft we wouldn´t have to go through this. As much as i hate Bennet, he does a hell of a job running a team.
I understand the bitterness, but you've gotta let go eventually (or maybe you don't).

As for your vain hopes about our young core: KD and YNB are already "paid," although it's an underrated fact that YNB took less than he could. He would have been eligible for the Rose Rule bump, but he opted for a regular extension (saving the team about $15 million over the course of his contract, or a little over a year's salary for either Harden or Ibaka). Both YNB and KD are essentially getting max deals.

I believe the team is prioritizing keeping Harden over Ibaka, but I think they believe they can keep both. It could be tough, but if those guys can be locked up at this young age, the heights this team could reach are scary. None of them are even close to being in their primes.

There's no way they resign Harden and Ibaka at least.

EjvtK.jpg

Holy crap, you can actually buy those shirts now LOL

http://www.lequitjames.com/details....-Effort.68758&product_type=Value-T-Shirts.828

a whole store dedicated to hating on lebron james, i'm guessing i'm super lttp

I understand the bitterness, but you've gotta let go eventually (or maybe you don't).

As for your vain hopes about our young core: KD and YNB are already "paid," although it's an underrated fact that YNB took less than he could. He would have been eligible for the Rose Rule bump, but he opted for a regular extension (saving the team about $15 million over the course of his contract, or a little over a year's salary for either Harden or Ibaka). Both YNB and KD are essentially getting max deals.

I believe the team is prioritizing keeping Harden over Ibaka, but I think they believe they can keep both. It could be tough, but if those guys can be locked up at this young age, the heights this team could reach are scary. None of them are even close to being in their primes.

Best case scenario, Seattle eventually regains a team and the rivalry between the two would be awesome.

You guys got very lucky with the timing. If this team was put togheter two seasons early, with the sucess it has, they would have more trouble leaving the city, because a winning team never leaves. People put up with stupid clauses and pay for it, because it makes economic sense.

They were very shit right after Clay bought them, that made things a bit easy.

If OKC can keep those four players togheter for five more years, we´re talking multiple championships, but i have a feeling Harden will want to get paid. He´s a top 5 SG in the NBA in two or three years.

KingGondo

Banned
Best case scenario, Seattle eventually regains a team and the rivalry between the two would be awesome.

You guys got very lucky with the timing. If this team was put togheter two seasons early, with the sucess it has, they would have more trouble leaving the city, because a winning team never leaves. People put up with stupid clauses and pay for it, because it makes economic sense.

They were very shit right after Clay bought them, that made things a bit easy.

If OKC can keep those four players togheter for five more years, we´re talking multiple championships, but i have a feeling Harden will want to get paid. He´s a top 5 SG in the NBA in two or three years.
You might be right, but don't underestimate how tight these guys are. I fully believe that Harden would take $2-3 million less/year if it meant continuing to play with KD (and YNB).

As for the timing, I still blame Schultz primarily for that. He did a shitty job with the Sonics (unless you want to count that one playoff year), and Clay saw an opportunity to overpay and bring a franchise to OKC. And while it's a convenient conspiracy theory to say that Bennett "tanked" the team so they could move, this team would be nowhere near as good without that extended period of suckitude (and getting the chance to draft Westbrook and Harden).

Things have undeniably worked out beautifully for the franchise since Bennett bought it, but it was partly luck (getting the 2nd pick in 2007, the Tyson Chandler trade falling through) and the rest was taking full advantage of almost every roster move and opportunity.

charsace

Tonight's game takes on added significance for me.

If OKC wins, I'll be booking tickets to Prometheus IMAX 3D for Friday night.

If they lose, I'll have to hold off until at least Sunday since Game 7 will be Friday.

I can't take the pressure... :X

To be fair, KD has a much better supporting cast than LBJ has even in Miami. Much more complete roster top-to-bottom.

In Cleveland, he never played with another guy as good as YNB, Harden, or Ibaka are now.

It's still amazing how far LBJ took teams of absolute scrubs in Cleveland.
Not this again. That team was built around Lebron. They defended, rebounded, hit jumpers and got out of Lebron's way for most of the game. If they could have gotten Amare or Bosh to pair with Lebron when he was in cleveland that team would have won something.

You might be right, but don't underestimate how tight these guys are. I fully believe that Harden would take $2-3 million less/year if it meant continuing to play with KD (and YNB).

As for the timing, I still blame Schultz primarily for that. He did a shitty job with the Sonics (unless you want to count that one playoff year), and Clay saw an opportunity to overpay and bring a franchise to OKC. And while it's a convenient conspiracy theory to say that Bennett "tanked" the team so they could move, this team would be nowhere near as good without that extended period of suckitude (and getting the chance to draft Westbrook and Harden).

Things have undeniably worked out beautifully for the franchise since Bennett bought it, but it was partly luck (getting the 2nd pick in 2007, the Tyson Chandler trade falling through) and the rest was taking full advantage of almost every roster move and opportunity.

Hahahah, Harden and Ibaka will be screaming the chorus to Biggie's "Gimme The Loot" so fast.

charsace

You're crazy. The big 3 could take those cuts because they get endorsements. Players that don't make good money outside of basketball won't take a cut in salary.

I highly doubt Harden leaves 8-12 mil for the honor to be KDs 6th man.

He'll get thrown a huge contract and a starting spot. Same for Ibaka, but the contract won't be as big. His agent will certainly remind him that if he has a career ending injury OKC ain't gonna pay the bills foreve, got to get it while you can. Pay cuts are for vets with more money than they can count, not guys coming off their rookie deals with a 6th man of the year award and a league drooling to sign them.

KingGondo

Banned
You're crazy. The big 3 could take those cuts because they get endorsements. Players that don't make good money outside of basketball won't take a cut in salary.
Harden already has a few endorsements, and he's already one of the most recognizable guys in the NBA (even if it's mainly because of the beard).

And I see no reason why Serge couldn't snag some endorsements here or abroad (thanks to the Spain thing). Not to mention that he's a handsome MF and could absolutely get some $$$ from non-traditional athlete endorsers (fashion brands, etc.).

MorisUkunRasik said:
He'll get thrown a huge contract and a starting spot. Same for Ibaka, but the contract won't be as big.
The key is keeping them from hitting the open market. These guys know the FO has their shit together and will offer them as much as they can and keep winning.

Y'all didn't believe me when I said Harden showed signs of greatness, and you don't believe me now.

I'll be back in a few months to laugh in your faces after James and Serge sign extensions. :p

Harden already has a few endorsements, and he's already one of the most recognizable guys in the NBA (even if it's mainly because of the beard).

And I see no reason why Serge couldn't snag some endorsements here or abroad (thanks to the Spain thing). Not to mention that he's a handsome MF and could absolutely get some $$$ from non-traditional athlete endorsers (fashion brands, etc.).

The key is keeping them from hitting the open market. These guys know the FO has their shit together and will offer them as much as they can and keep winning.

Y'all didn't believe me when I said Harden showed signs of greatness, and you don't believe me now.

I'll be back in a few months to laugh in your faces after James and Serge sign extensions. :p

Theyd have to have the worst agents in the world, especially if they play well tonight and if they get to the finals and if they chip.

OKC winning is going to be bittersweet for OKC, Harden and Ibaka stock rises the further you guys go.

Best case they convince one of them (Harden) to sign before FA to the most they can offer and let Ibaka leave. I can't see either passing up on FA to stay in OKC, they at very least want to see what they're worth and their agents want some of that payday money. Better believe one of them is leaving, just hope one of them is signed before he gets curious as to how much money he gave away to stay in Oklahoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom