• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Playoffs |OT3| If he dies, he dies *wink*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wade, Durant, Bron, Melo will NEVER do 9 straight 40 pt games, let alone do It in their pre-prime....that run was the greatest individual run I've ever seen - beatS the 4 straight 50's with two 60's thrown in that he did in 2007...

That video brought back some great memories. That run was a fun ride to be on.

What the heck. Ninja got banned?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Wade, Durant, Bron, Melo will NEVER do 9 straight 40 pt games, let alone do It in their pre-prime....that run was the greatest individual run I've ever seen - beatS the 4 straight 50's with two 60's thrown in that he did in 2007...

I remember bits of MJs streak, but yeah Kobe's streak was one of the most amazing offensive outputs I can clearly remember

Omega

Banned
Chris Palmer going all-in (Lebron vs MJ):

meCAu.png

smh what a moron

I don't even know what to say..

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Wasn't there someone just recently that said he thought Chris Palmer was great and we clowned him for it?

... and now this. Wonderful.

Omega

Banned
I used to support LeBron but you just can't anymore.

It's his 8th year in the league and he can't win and won't win this year either, so at the earliest, he gets his ring in his 9th year.

Impressive numbers but they're just empty stats. Wilt gets a bunch of shit for being a
"glorified stat whore" and not being able to win a ring until his 8th or 9th year.

Triple doubles doesn't make a player. To use that as a reason as to why LeBron is better is retarded. In that case, Jason Kidd is the best active player and the Big O is the best player of all-time.

Not really sure how anyone can say Lebron is a better basketball player than either Kobe-Prime or Jordan-Prime. Lebron's outside shooting is still pretty streaky, especially is mid-range. His post-game is still embarrassing to watch. He really doesn't have a varied offensive toolset, so a quality team with solid defense can pretty much neutralize him in the half-court.

Lebron is a superior passer and is far more athletic/stronger than Kobe and Jordan. Kobe is probably the least physically gifted of the three. I'm really curious how Lebron is going to adjust his game when his athletic advantage starts to fade. Kobe basically had a third Act of his career because he tirelessly improved upon his game and became a highly skilled player developing moves and footwork that didn't rely on pure speed and explosiveness.

While Kobe had a 3rd Act, so many stars of his era never really got through their second act because they just didn't work on enough fundamentals to carry them through injuries and old age. Some analyst say Lebron will be at the top of the game for the next 6-8 years, but people forget how quickly these athletic dominent guys can fall off. In '05, TMac looked like a God among men. But just a few years later he was an after thought in a wheel chair.

I'm curious when and if Lebron wins his first championship, will he spend the same amount of time in the gym trying to improve his game. It's pretty much guaranteed ESPN will proclaim Lebron the GOAT once he wins his first championship, so maybe he'll consider it Mission Accomplished after the first and he'll get back to being a global icon.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I'm curious when and if Lebron wins his first championship, will he spend the same amount of time in the gym trying to improve his game. It's pretty much guaranteed ESPN will proclaim Lebron the GOAT once he wins his first championship, so maybe he'll consider it Mission Accomplished after the first and he'll get back to being a global icon.

Not five, not six, not seven. I don't see Lebron pulling a Dirk if he wins a title this year. Much more likely its Wade who does that when/if he wins another title.

effzee

I used to support LeBron but you just can't anymore.

It's his 8th year in the league and he can't win and won't win this year either, so at the earliest, he gets his ring in his 9th year.

Impressive numbers but they're just empty stats. Wilt gets a bunch of shit for being a
"glorified stat whore" and not being able to win a ring until his 8th or 9th year.

Triple doubles doesn't make a player. To use that as a reason as to why LeBron is better is retarded. In that case, Jason Kidd is the best active player and the Big O is the best player of all-time.

Tons of hall of fame players in all sports never win a ring. Its not an indictment on them personally and you can't claim the stats are empty. It happens. Lebron with all his talent and the team he is playing for should win at least 1 title but if he doesn't it won't be because he isn't good or because its empty stats.

The LeBron > Jordan argument from Palmer is terrible like everything else he posts on Twitter, but it might be the least terrible thing he's posted in a while which is saying something.

linsivvi

Tons of hall of fame players in all sports never win a ring. Its not an indictment on them personally and you can't claim the stats are empty. It happens. Lebron with all his talent and the team he is playing for should win at least 1 title but if he doesn't it won't be because he isn't good or because its empty stats.

Jordan is not just a hall of fame player.

effzee

Jordan is not just a hall of fame player.

Thanks for that clarification. I was responding to a poster claiming that since the earliest Lebron can win a ring is in his current season (8th season) that he can't support Lebron. I don't even know what that means. He used to support him or was a fan now isn't because he hasn't won a ring yet and because of that reasoning his stats are empty.

The #s Lebron has put up are no ordinary # that any player could put up just to pad stats.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I kinda think LBJ is better than Jordan too.

There's a definite vacuum in that kind of line of thinking though.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
I kinda think LBJ is better than Jordan too.

There's a definite vacuum in that kind of line of thinking though.

Because it has to come with too many qualifiers, and it's hard for some to accept that. You have to limit it strictly to their respective talents/abilities and, at this point, nothing else. Lebron seems to wilt more 'in the moment' than Jordan ever did, and he'll never have Jordan's transcendental impact on our society and culture, nevermind championships. Jordan wasn't only bigger than Bird and Magic, he was bigger than the entire game.

Not that my thought amounts to much, but as a player I think LBJ is more complete than Jordan.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
How can a guy that can't post up be considered more complete than Jordan?
Lebron is arguably a better facilitator and rebounder than Jordan. That Lebron is still able to score and get to the rim at ease owes to his freakish physical gifts still overshadowing his need for honing certain fundamentals.

Another reason this discussion can trends towards being meaningless - it's taking the totality of one's career against the (likely) midway point of another. Lebron still has time to evolve his game like Jordan and Kobe were forced to as they aged.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
How can a guy that can't post up be considered more complete than Jordan?
He can effect the games in more ways than Jordan could. Easily.

The post up thing is still hilarious though - but even without it, he's still incredible. Its like when people try and shit on Tiger's putting game or something.

Zep

Banned

Yet if he never wins one, he'll have that Dallas series hanging over his head...And rightfully so.

Mxrz

The Jordan worship on the net can be pretty strong. You'd think he never lost a game going by it. But I hate the all or nothing comparisons in general.

If 76ers win tonight. I'm not sure if that means they were as good as people first claimed, or if its just the Eastern-implosion to blame.

Gabyskra

Banned
The Jordan worship on the net can be pretty strong.

Before editing, you said "Jordan worship by the younger crowd". I don't get that feeling at all. It's more the contrary. When Kobe came into the league, he was overrated as fuck by pre-teens for example. Young blood tends to like the flavor the week, the younger generation. The Heat bandwagon is a good example of how the immature crowd rides LeBJ's dick.

In a conversation about whose the better player, rings don't really mean shit. Those come into the discussion of "Greatness".

Talent wise IDK, there are a bit more offensive skills for a perimeter player today than those that Jordan used. Probably too close to call either way. I do think Kobe has them both in talent though.

Emwitus

Before editing, you said "Jordan worship by the younger crowd". I don't get that feeling at all. It's more the contrary. When Kobe came into the league, he was overrated as fuck by pre-teens for example. Young blood tends to like the flavor the week, the younger generation. The Heat bandwagon is a good example of how the immature crowd rides LeBJ's dick.

Eh, You can call vince over rated but kobe?

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
I don't think Carter was overrated. He became half-man, half-effort later, but those first few years on the Raptors were pretty awesome.

Emwitus

Kobe was very overrated. He had no business being in the 1998 ASG. He was not that good a defender his first few years either.

That is a name only for the likes of lebron or iverson. Kobe still had ALOT to prove when he came into the league, coming of the BENCH. And over rated is a name you reserve for a different kind of player not the only player who can favorably be compared to MJ.

I wonder how you finally come to the conclusion that a player is over rated?You mention 98, Just two years later, he went on to help shaq win a championship.

Gabyskra

Banned
That is a name reserved only for the likes of lebron or iverson. Kobe still had ALOT to prove when he came into the league, coming of the BENCH. And over rated is a name you reserve for a different kind of player not the only player who can favorably be compared to MJ.

The Jordan comparisons were born in 1998. Call it the ESPN effect or whatever, but no sane individual would ever believe it, except for kids and the people trying to sell shit to kids.

In the 1990s, Jordan was not human. There's a reason people can not imagine him losing, that's because he would not and he did not, except in 1995 but the tragic reasons are well established.

The last decade belongs to Duncan more than it does to Kobe.

Kobe's legacy is great, he's a top 20 player all time, but he's won a bunch of titles as the second most important of his own team.

If the 2010s belong to LBJ, fine, but it started in the worst fashion possible for him, inside & outside the court.

Emwitus

The Jordan comparisons were born in 1998. Call it the ESPN effect or whatever, but no sane individual would ever believe it, except for kids and the people trying to sell shit to kids.

In the 1990s, Jordan was not human. There's a reason people can not imagine him losing, that's because he would not and he did not, except in 1995 but the tragic reasons are well established.

The last decade belongs to Duncan more than it does to Kobe.

Kobe's legacy is great, he's a top 20 player all time, but he's won a bunch of titles as the second most important of his own team.

nvm

Already diverted from overrated to

"He can't win without me"

effzee

Yet if he never wins one, he'll have that Dallas series hanging over his head...And rightfully so.

Agreed. And if he never wins a ring, with all the talent he has himself and on his current team, you could always argue that he wasn't as great as Kobe/MJ regardless of his final career #s. I do object to claiming its empty stats. For most of his career, the Cavaliers days, if his team didn't win it was because he himself had a bad game. If he had a great game they won. So how is that empty stats or padding?

Is this like your only point ever? And yet you don't realize that by constantly belittling anyone who likes LBJ, the Heat, or argues against your asinine points by questioning their age or maturity THAT it is you who comes across like a prepubescent crybaby?

The MJ effect applied to a lot, if not all, star players post MJ. Everyone at one point or another was the next MJ. Of the top of my head I know Grant Hill, AI, Kobe, Carter, and even T-Mac at one point or another were called the next MJ early in their careers.

Its actually quite annoying and I think ruins any good basketball discussion.

Gabyskra

Banned
Is this like your only point ever? And yet you don't realize that by constantly belittling anyone who likes LBJ, the Heat, or argues against your asinine points by questioning their age or maturity THAT it is you who comes across like a prepubescent crybaby?

The MJ effect applied to a lot, if not all, star players post MJ. Everyone at one point or another was the next MJ. Of the top of my head I know Grant Hill, AI, Kobe, Carter, and even T-Mac at one point or another were called the next MJ early in their careers.

Its actually quite annoying and I think ruins any good basketball discussion.

Argumentum ad hominem.

No substance. I'm arguing the relationship between consumerism and the way younger crowds vote for products with their cash. If you don't get that, get lost.

Talk to me when you are doing something else than comment on gaffers, fucker.

Gabyskra

Banned
nvm

Already diverted from overrated to

"He can't win without me"

Kobe was overrated. How is that complicated to understand? He was. He was not even Mitch Richmond good his first few years, yet drew comparisons to MJ. You say yourself that he had to prove something, and he kinda did, but with Shaq, and then on his own, but nowhere near the level of domination MJ imposed.

effzee

That is a name only for the likes of lebron or iverson. Kobe still had ALOT to prove when he came into the league, coming of the BENCH. And over rated is a name you reserve for a different kind of player not the only player who can favorably be compared to MJ.

I wonder how you finally come to the conclusion that a player is over rated?You mention 98, Just two years later, he went on to help shaq win a championship.

What? Kobe had a lot to prove? How? To who? He cried his way into a trade to the Lakers and flourished almost immediately playing along side Shaq. He was overrated in the beginning and only for a short period of time because all he was at that time was a dunk machine getting billed as the next MJ.

And no Iverson was not overrated. What he did on those teams, with his size, and did it consistently is nothing short of extra ordinary.

Neither is Lebron. The amount of hype around Lebron coming out of HS was unprecedented only because 24/7 sports news, and ESPN especially, practically followed his every move since he started HS. You couldn't escape his name or coverage. Despite that he has still turned out to be a great player.

Emwitus

Argumentum ad hominem.

No substance. I'm arguing the relationship between consumerism and the way younger crowds vote for products with their cash. If you don't get that, get lost.

Your argument is that kobe was overrated yet, coming into the league, tons of other player were being crowned as the next jordan. Of those players, only kobe has come the closest to goat status. Unless your definition of overrated is not better than mj, in which case, EVERY ONE IS OVERRATED.

Emwitus

What? Kobe had a lot to prove? How? To who? He cried his way into a trade to the Lakers and flourished almost immediately playing along side Shaq. He was overrated in the beginning and only for a short period of time because all he was at that time was a dunk machine getting billed as the next MJ.

And no Iverson was not overrated. What he did on those teams, with his size, and did it consistently is nothing short of extra ordinary.

Neither is Lebron. The amount of hype around Lebron coming out of HS was unprecedented only because 24/7 sports news, and ESPN especially, practically followed his every move since he started HS. You couldn't escape his name or coverage. Despite that he has still turned out to be a great player.

See my argument above. Also, kobe was the 13th pick in the draft. Iverson was 1, lebron was 1. But nevermind that, let's call the only player of the 3 with 2 finals mvps and 5 rings overrated.

This is so absolutely ridiculous. The media is begging to crown LeBron as a top 5 player ALREADY and he has yet to accomplish the single goal of any competitor: WIN. It's not as though he has shown up as the best player on the court in do or die games throughout his career. Anybody who even throws LeBron in the MJ class before he LEADS his team when it matters most is a joke. And no, LeBron leading his team by the Bulls and Celtics of last year DO.NOT.COUNT. Why? Because he didn't do shit in the finals. Dwight Howard led the Magic in 2010 and yet he has as many rings as LeBron. Barkley led his team in 1993 yet couldn't get passed MJ. Ewing led his team yet never won. Kemp and Payton led their team but never won. The list goes on and on. Talk to me when LeBron is the MVP in an NBA finals.

Gabyskra

Banned
Your argument is that kobe was overrated yet, coming into the league, tons of other player were being crowned as the next jordan. Of those players, only kobe has come the closest to goat status. Unless your definition of overrated is not better than mj, in which case, EVERY ONE IS OVERRATED.

Kobe was nowhere near the level of Grant Hill '97 for instance. Kobe became elite in 2002. But he was compared to Jordan in 1998, five years earlier. Get it?

effzee

Argumentum ad hominem.

Yes please teach me more about basketball...I have so much to learn.

Nice manners too. Fucker? Right and I am the immature one.

I didn't realize you switched your train thought into marketing and consumerism considering all you do is use the same point over and over about how everyone besides you is immature or didn't follow basketball before whatever predefined era you have chosen as the starting point.

And its not just the young crowd that votes with cash, all consumers and or fans do. MJ was and is still just as popular. Check out his sneakers sales and compare that to any current playing "star". So this star worship or wish to compare any and all new players to MJ is not an age thing, but actually a basketball thing. No guard escapes the comparison and networks like ESPN make sure people discuss it over and over. People don't discuss teams anymore, its all about stars and their legacies in comparison to MJ.

Emwitus

Kobe was nowhere near the level of Grant Hill'97 for instance. Kobe became elite in 2002. But he was compared to Jordan in 1998, five years earlier. Get it?

What the heck does that even mean? Kobe went ahead to accomplish alot more how does that make him overrated??? He came into an organization that made him play off the bench...And like you said was playing with a far better player than him. He wasn't even the number 2 option when he came in. Iverson was the number 1 pick and came in has the alpha dog, so did lebron....

effzee

See my argument above. Also, kobe was the 13th pick in the draft. Iverson was 1, lebron was 1. But nevermind that, let's call the only player of the 3 with 2 finals mvps and 5 rings overrated.

Do you not get that I am talking about when he came into the league? I never said Kobe is overrated now or for his entire career. Just that coming into the league at the start he was overrated, especially to me since he had the luxury of playing for the Lakers alongside Shaq while guys like AI was scrapping for a team that barely won 20 games the prior year.

Gabyskra

Banned
I didn't realize you switched your train thought into marketing and consumerism considering all you do is use the same point over and over about how everyone besides you is immature or didn't follow basketball before whatever predefined era you have chosen as the starting point.

And its not just the young crowd that votes with cash, all consumers and or fans do. MJ was and is still just as popular. Check out his sneakers sales and compare that to any current playing "star". So this star worship or wish to compare any and all new players to MJ is not an age thing, but actually a basketball thing. No guard escapes the comparison and networks like ESPN make sure people discuss it over and over. People don't discuss teams anymore, its all about stars and their legacies in comparison to MJ.

What the fuck are you on about? Who says that everyone is immature? I have no issue with most people here, some are friends even, just not people like you that came with an avenger mentality. Defend the poor Heat fans all you want.

What kind of fucking discovery, indiana jones like, am I making when I say that younger crowds are attracted to given stars, Jordan, Shaq, Kobe, LeBron, etc.? If you're 8 in 1992, you're a Jordan fan or respect him. In 1997, you're a Kobe fan. In 2004, you're a Lechoker fan, etc. People selling products appeal to the younger crowd because they need to be won over for them to be faithful over the long run, etc.

Obviously bandwagoning is something that young people do. When you've been rooting for your favorite for 15 or 20 years, you're not jumping ship at a given time.

Many Heat fans became fans in 2010.

Is THAT news, fucking really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom