• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Playoffs |OT3| If he dies, he dies *wink*

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Kobe showed in his career that he was as good and as skilled as MJ, how the fuck was he overrated by people calling him the next MJ?

Cause it took him 3 1/2 years to reach his first Finals.

Clearly, he should have been there Year One like Jeffrey was.

And no, he isn't as good as MJ. Sorry.

Of course not but you tell me who is the next closest thing since Jefferson passed his magical shoes to Bow Wow.

linsivvi

Yes, playoffs 2001 were impressive. I'm not sure you realize I was saying it took Kobe years to be elite, years after being compared to Jordan (which is the main discussion here, if you can call it that), and you argue that it happened one year earlier than what i was saying? Relax.

The problem with you is that you're arguing against yourself. You said Kobe was overrated by the media early in his career, which is indisputable. You could've just mentioned the media buzz during the ASG and that should be the end of it. But then you start saying MVP voting and All-NBA team selections. Guess who made those votes? You can't be overrated and underrated by the same people at the same time.

Also, bringing in career underachievers Grant Hill and T-Mac into the argument doesn't help your case.

Cause it took him 3 1/2 years to reach his first Finals.

Clearly, he should have been there Year One like Jeffrey was.

Of course not but you tell me who is the next closest thing since Jefferson passed his magical shoes to Bow Wow.

Oh, I agree, he's definitely the closest to MJ we've seen which is a huge accomplishment in of its own.

Ugh, DURING THE FIRST FEW YEARS OF THE MJ COMPARISONS, HE WAS OVERRATED IN THAT CONTEXT.

And no, he isn't as good as MJ. Sorry.

No. He was being billed as the next MJ, meaning that in a few years time he would play at MJ's level. Which he did. Where's the overating? He wasn't being called as good as MJ then, he was being called the next in line(Along with alot of other players).

also, MJ would choke a bitch to have some of the skills kobe has.

Why are you guys wasting your breath about some wiener like Kobe when there's news of Top 3 Western Conference point guard Kyle Lowry refusing to play for Kevin McHale

No. He was being billed as the next MJ, meaning that in a few years time he would play at MJ's level. Which he did. Where's the overating? He wasn't being called as good as MJ then, he was being called the next in line(Along with alot of other players).

also, MJ would choke a bitch to have some of the skills kobe has.

In terms of crazy shots that nobody not named Jesus Christ should make? Kobe
Long range? Kobe
Defense? MJ
Showing up in big games? MJ
Footwork? Kobe
Consistency? MJ

Thats how I see it.

Gabyskra

Banned
Because you moved the goal post from starting in the all star game all the way to AFTER the 3 peat, and only then he was as good as Grant Hill. That is ridiculous.

In 2003, the reason he was not overrated anymore is because he raised his level immensely and also because nobody compared him to Jordan anymore as his story was so different, having played with such a dominant big man... The discussion was tired. He had never won a MVP trophy, regular season or Finals... At that point, he was compared to other current wing players, and he was the best. When did he win his MVP, 2008, right? Same year as the Olympics... 11 years into his career, at that point everyone has realized that this generation was Duncan's generation. Only people who like Red Tails would think that Kobe's career approaches MJ's. It's not about moving goal posts, it's an assessment of what is a fair judgement of his career at a given point in time. Obviously some people like to think retroactively, so there is a discussion to be had about contexts.

Gabyskra

Banned
Citation needed.

I don't have a horse in this race, I've never rooted for a player that was better than just second best at his position... If you're arguing semantics, I know some Lakers fans will disagree obviously, so it's not true that everyone think that Tim has been the defining player of this generation...

In 2003, the reason he was not overrated anymore is because he raised his level immensely and also because nobody compared him to Jordan anymore as his story was so different, having played with such a dominant big man... The discussion was tired. He had never won a MVP trophy, regular season or Finals... At that point, he was compared to other current wing players, and he was the best. When did he win his MVP, 2008, right? Same year as the Olympics... 11 years into his career, at that point everyone has realized that this generation was Duncan's generation. Only people who like Red Tails would think that Kobe's career approaches MJ's. It's not about moving goal posts, it's an assessment of what is a fair judgement of his career at a given point in time. Obviously some people like to think retroactively, so there is a discussion to be had about contexts.

If the Spurs win this year than I would be more inclined to give the generation to Duncan in terms of pure 'greatness' and accomplishments. But as a single dominant player? Give me Kobe.

Gigglepoo

Tons of hall of fame players in all sports never win a ring. Its not an indictment on them personally and you can't claim the stats are empty. It happens. Lebron with all his talent and the team he is playing for should win at least 1 title but if he doesn't it won't be because he isn't good or because its empty stats.

The best basketball players win titles. That's why people continually point out Barkley's and Ewing's failures -- because not winning when you're that good is an anomaly.

Still, LeBron is a phenomenal player. I get pissed when people overrate him because it's not necessary. He's an unstoppable offensive force when he drives to the basket (dunking or passing to the open man), and he's a premier defender.

SamuraiX-

I was considering asking an ESPN Insider here to post David Thorpe's Sacramento Kings Team Needs article until...

There is talent here; Evans improved in his third season, becoming a solid forward with good ball skills

kill yo self

Nori Chan

prime kobe :(

you assholes now im going to go to youtube to watch these games

ill start off with kobe's 42 points at the half against wizard jordan

Wade and Rose learned ballet sarcastically at a young age.

Even for old snake did you ever imagine last off season he would still be this amazing? I thought for sure this season was going to be the season we started to see his engine sputter.

His engine has sputtered. FG%. Can't take over like he use to. Careless passing. Its just that hes such a great player that even with his engine getting older its still better than 99% of the rest of the crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom