• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Playoffs |OT3| If he dies, he dies *wink*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, DURING THE FIRST FEW YEARS OF THE MJ COMPARISONS, HE WAS OVERRATED IN THAT CONTEXT.

And no, he isn't as good as MJ. Sorry.

Kobe is amazing but I agree. I think he is a superior scorer than Jordan and he has developed his overall game past Jordan in a lot of areas. However, even though he might be a better scorer forcing bad shot after bad shot after bad shot after bad shot after bad shot for all these years has really hurt him. How many games has that cost him? Its murdered his percentages as well. I never felt that way about Jordan. It always seemed like he had a much better grasp on what was going to win them the game whether that was drawing defenders and passing or setting himself up for a less contested shot. The mental game is where Jordan doesn't have a equal yet.

That all being said when was the last time Kobe could confidently defer the ball to anyone on this damn team? He definitely plays hero ball but when was the last time even with all the misses and failed plays that you wanted him to pass to anybody else on the Lakers? Jordan had people that could rise up for him and a lot of that I feel was him being aware of the situations that they were great in. He used the breadth of his team more effectively than anyone and if there was talent to stir up Jordan would stir it.

That all being said I am going to be depressed out of my mind whenever Kobe does retire. Ill have to take up golfing or leisure rowboating to find a place of peace. There are a lot of players I love watching in this game but nobody like the mamba.

Kobe's reaction when he makes these shots is one of arrogance like they are supposed to fall.

Dude may be a volume shooter but man if he doesn't possess supreme confidence.

YES! Thats the thing. No celebration, no excitement, no shock. Just a Tuesday night for Kobe.

Hahaha what a dick.

Your breaking my heart Noriega. Just breaking my heart.

Man I wish I had wandered into Best-Gaf during those days.

Hey real question because I have wondered this forever.
You guys that actually really really dislike Kobe and not just because its fun riling other people up but you take pleasure in him personally failing does that come from any specific moment in his career?

I ask because the only people I personally know that don't like Kobe are guys that felt he was threatening MJ's legacy and they would go on immediate lock down talking about anything Kobe related.

Obviously I discount boston fans

In terms of crazy shots that nobody not named Jesus Christ should make? Kobe
Long range? Kobe
Defense? MJ
Showing up in big games? MJ
Footwork? Kobe
Consistency? MJ

Thats how I see it.

Damn Steam. Don't know how I missed that. I could have saved myself a wall of embarrassing text. Right on brotha.

effzee

The best basketball players win titles. That's why people continually point out Barkley's and Ewing's failures -- because not winning when you're that good is an anomaly.

Still, LeBron is a phenomenal player. I get pissed when people overrate him because it's not necessary. He's an unstoppable offensive force when he drives to the basket (dunking or passing to the open man), and he's a premier defender.

And while they point out their failures they don't remove them from their overall HOF careers.

Look I don't think we are arguing against each other. You can get into the HOF without ever winning a ring, yet it will be thing people always talk about. Which is legit.

Ideally the very best players of all time both get rings and into the HOF. But since getting into the HOF doesn't require a ring, I am not going to remove "one of the greatest players of all time" label from guys like Reggie Miller, Barkely, or Ewing.

Touch

Kobe may not have pulled it off this season, but god damn to look at what he did in his 16th season is insane. It's going to be interesting watching what comes from him next season with everything returning to normal (length, training camp etc). Yeah, he will be a year older but that doesn't seem to be slowing him down 'as much' as other players at the end of their careers.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The hard on for T Mac is fricken hilarious.

Mac was better than Kobe.

And if you think about it, that's the reason why a few people, mainly myself, will never look past Doc Rivers and the Orlando front office for robbing the NBA of him.

Mac was better than Kobe.

And if you think about it, that's the reason why a few people, mainly myself, will never look past Doc Rivers and the Orlando front office for robbing the NBA of him.

I'm not taking anything away from him. Watching him carry the Rockets was amazing despite what he had to work with. That being said if T-Mac didn't get all those injury's and we were at looking at both of them at this point in their careers Kobe would still be ahead of him. Its a fun what if though.

Ninja was on a roll yesterday.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38209262&postcount=20

DY_nasty

I'm not taking anything away from him. Watching him carry the Rockets was amazing despite what he had to work with. That being said if T-Mac didn't get all those injury's and we were at looking at both of them at this point in their careers Kobe would still be ahead of him. Its a fun what if though.

Its just kinda funny when Lakers fans always run to Kobe's prime and say that he did all of that with Smush and Mihm and Kwame etc. There were still serviceable players on that team. It definitely doesn't compare to Gordan Giricek, Andrew DeClerq, Pat Garrity, Stacey Augmon, Steven Hunter.

By the time McGrady got to Houston, he was already dead imo.

Its just kinda funny when Lakers fans always run to Kobe's prime and say that he did all of that with Smush and Mihm and Kwame etc. There were still serviceable players on that team. It definitely doesn't compare to Gordan Giricek, Andrew DeClerq, Pat Garrity, Stacey Augmon, Steven Hunter.

By the time McGrady got to Houston, he was already dead imo.

He had absolute shit to work with(Sorry Mutombo!) and there were really impressive streaks throughout his career but the leaps Kobe was taking year after year in skill was pushing him farther and farther past T Mac. Kobe had some terrible guys to work with as well. Remember the 2007 season? Ughhh I shudder to remember that year. I honestly think I could have come off my couch and been in better shape than most of the Laker team and Kobe still shot us into the playoffs.

DY_nasty

He had absolute shit to work with(Sorry Mutombo!) and there were really impressive streaks throughout his career but the leaps Kobe was taking year after year in skill was pushing him farther and farther past T Mac. Kobe had some terrible guys to work with as well. Remember the 2007 season? Ughhh I shudder to remember that year. I honestly think I could have come off my couch and been in better shape than most of the Laker team and Kobe still shot us into the playoffs.

Drew Gooden was the best healthy teammate that McGrady got to play with.

Let that sink in.

DY_nasty

I'd say Mike Miller.

Miller got it together after Orlando. While he was with the Magic, he couldn't stay healthy and dude was one of the biggest 3pt chuckers in the league. I think he even took over 5 attempts per game his second year.

linsivvi

I don't have a horse in this race, I've never rooted for a player that was better than just second best at his position... If you're arguing semantics, I know some Lakers fans will disagree obviously, so it's not true that everyone think that Tim has been the defining player of this generation...

So the goalpost is moved to everyone but some Lakers fans now?

http://www.nba.com/alldecade/vote13/

Feel free to move the goalpost further to "informed NBA fans". I am not disputing your personal choice, but to say everyone as if there was a clear consensus is pure bullshit.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
So the goalpost is now moved to everyone but some Lakers fans now?

Feel free to move the goalpost further to "informed NBA fans". I am not disputing your personal choice, but to say everyone as if there was a clear consensus is pure bullshit.

Are you gonna point to Kobe's All-Defensive Second Team selection this year to argue that he's still a good defender in this league today?

DY_nasty

So the goalpost is moved to everyone but some Lakers fans now?

These are the same people that voted AI into the all-star game when he should've been on a flight to Turkey.

Good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom