• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Preseason |OT| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Rasheed Wallace

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Lakers have a bad bench but a top tier rotation. You don't need bench depth when you have 4 all-stars as starters. You can literally just run with Nash/scrubs/dwight while Kobe and Pau rest and then just switch them out. You can do this for entire games.
Mike Brown cannot manage a rotation though. It won't be like OKC at all.

I finally got to watch the game, the Kings let the lakers make to many easy entry passes. Dwight feasted on easy plays and even made a few good baby hooks. I think Jamison is better than anybody off the bench we had in the first year of this era.

I'll withhold judgment though until they play somebody decent though.

diehard

Fleer
BTW everyone who made fun of that Devin Harris for Marvin Williams trade will be sooo wrong.

oh wait.. i made fun of that trade.

damn

Jeff-DSA

BTW everyone who made fun of that Devin Harris for Marvin Williams trade will be sooo wrong.

oh wait.. i made fun of that trade.

damn

It's easier to think about if you consider it the roundabout way of replacing CJ Miles. Either way it was a good move, but CJ is not our problem anymore.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
GM Survey:

Who is the best Power Forward?
1. Kevin Love - 30%
2. Dirk Nowitzki - 23.3%
3. LeBron James - 16.7%
4. LaMarcus Aldridge - 10%
5. Kevin Garnett & Blake Griffin - 6.7%

LOL this fucking league.

GM Survey:

Who is the best Power Forward?
1. Kevin Love - 30%
2. Dirk Nowitzki - 23.3%
3. LeBron James - 16.7%
4. LaMarcus Aldridge - 10%
5. Kevin Garnett & Blake Griffin - 6.7%

LOL this fucking league.

XkFQ9.gif

what in the fuck...

Just like the Lakers should be worried about the heat. I really dont think the Lakers will be very good at all again defending the three point and im predicting the heat to be a top 5 shooting team this year. Its part of the reason I picked OKC over the Lakers this year.

Its not about rather bosh goes off or not(and he has no problem going off against howard) its his prescence and ability to stretch the game to the perimeter that helps us. This preseason with all these shooters, have given us the best spacing I've seen this team have. We will really be hard to defend.

The whole Boston and Indiana thing is a false equivalency.

Quoted for hilarity.

shira

Lakers have a bad bench but a top tier rotation. You don't need bench depth when you have 4 all-stars as starters. You can literally just run with Nash/scrubs/dwight while Kobe and Pau rest and then just switch them out. You can do this for entire games.

And come playoff time?

Nash is going to be 8 minutes in the first quarter, 6 minutes in the 2nd quarter and whatever he can handle in the 2nd half.
Kobe will play 40+ minutes, Pau will disappear.
Same as always.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Maybe im missing something. Other than the lack of votes for bosh, that list isn't too far off.

Please let me know whats so horrible/funny?

Lebron James is not a Top 3 Power Forward. I love Dirk, but with his latest knee troubles and advancing age, he's done. Ridiculous.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Lebron isn't a top 3 PF and neither is Melo their not PF but really good sf's... That whole list is suspect where is Bosh?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Melo played more pf than Lebron.

Melo was putting up 25 and 9 starting a month at the 4.

I am not questioning whether or not he can play the 4. I'm questioning why he refuses to want to play the 4. Amare's injury should honestly be a blessing in disguise for the Knicks because he probably won't have a choice.

man, Bosh stays getting no respect. whats funny is he would have made that list during his Raptor years. he just gets forgotten about around Wade and Lebron.

man, Bosh stays getting no respect. whats funny is he would have made that list during his Raptor years. he just gets forgotten about around Wade and Lebron.

I don't forget about him. Bosh has been the most consistent player we've had these couple of years. Im just glad he doesn't seem to be the jealous type. Actually seems kind of classy.

Pimpwerx

says the man who hypes up Norris Cole. I love Heatles age.
Craps in 4, amirite?

Bynum is inconsistent... Dwight will be way more consistent and his presence in the defensive end will be much greater.

Bynum on his best days is probably better than Dwight (especially on the offensive end) but the guy is just too inconsistent... and the fact that he is very temperamental makes me think he won't ever be able to put it together.

Heat should be worried about the Lakers... they have no size to match up with them. Bosh at center... lol. Bosh is very important to their success and if they shut him down the Heat are pretty screwed. Heat without Bosh were barely better than Boston and Indiana in the playoffs.
When's the last time length bothered us? Or when's the last time we got beatup inside? Some people are acting like Lakers had a pair of midgets last season. Bynum is taller than Dwight FFS. As long as Bosh is healthy, we can defend against any sized frontcourt just fine. Rebounding is done by committee.

OTOH, we're trotting out more weapons than the Army on offense. It'll be interesting to see how Dwight and Pau try to camp in the paint when we post up Wade and Bron mostly, while having Bosh camp near the perimeter. The spacing has been sublime this preseason, even with secondary lineups. PEACE.

Kobe got a vote for best perimeter defender in the league? what is this 2002? I KNOW Mitch didnt cast that vote, he actually watches the games.

Who is the best perimeter defender in the NBA?
1. Tony Allen, Memphis -- 33.3%
2. LeBron James, Miami -- 26.7%
3. Avery Bradley, Boston, Andre Iguodala, Denver, Rajon Rondo, Boston, Thabo Sefolosha, Oklahoma City -- 6.7%
Also receiving votes: Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers; Eric Gordon, New Orleans; Dahntay Jones, Dallas; Metta World Peace, L.A. Lakers
Last year: Tony Allen -- 26.9%

Who is the best interior defender in the NBA?
1. Dwight Howard, L.A. Lakers -- 66.7%
2. Serge Ibaka, Oklahoma City -- 16.7%
3. Tyson Chandler, New York -- 10.0%
Also receiving votes: Anthony Davis, New Orleans; Kevin Garnett, Boston
Last year: Dwight Howard -- 88.9%

so...this is why dumbfuck contracts and mind numbing trades happen.

Pimpwerx

Great Skolnick article on Spo's positionless movement:

“Let me just explain it the clearest way,” Spoelstra said. “Conventional basketball, your 4s are usually the trailers, your 5 is usually on the strong-side block, your wings are on the wings, your point guard handles. With our team, is that true?”

Not remotely.

“You have multiple people will be on that strong side-block that aren’t your 5,” Spoelstra said. “OK? You have multiple guys that will be bringing the ball up the court. It could be four straight possessions that a different guy brings it up.”

That person isn’t necessarily the point guard. As Spoelstra noted, it could be James, Dwyane Wade, even Chris Bosh – as was the case Thursday – rather than Mario Chalmers or Norris Cole. That person is simply “the ballhandler.”

The wings?

“Could be anybody,” Spoelstra said.

He ticked off more names — Bosh, Udonis Haslem, Shane Battier, Wade, even Chalmers.

“We have a screener,” Spoelstra said. “Is that the 5 man, like most places? No. It could be LeBron, it could be Dwyane, it could be Chris, it could be UD.”

The trailer?

“Our trailer is anybody,” Spoelstra said. “Mike (Miller) and Ray (Allen) are the trailers a lot now.”

Just about anyone can inbound the ball, or play in the post. Wade, generously listed at 6-foot-4, does a lot of the latter. That doesn’t make him a “4.”

“So it’s the absolute opposite of what you’re used to, and what we’re used to,” Spoelstra said. “That’s probably why it seems confusing on the outside but, for us, it actually cleared things up.”

So what about defense? Toss out the boxes on that end, too. In the Heat’s system, the “low man” guarding the basket is not necessarily a “big man.” It’s often Wade blocking a shot.

“Yes,” Spoelstra said. “That’s the whole point. You guys (in the media) are making it more complicated than it is. We’re not changing the game or anything. It’s just that, this team, you have to look at it that way.”

Filipino Jackson is one of the top coaches in the league. The dude thinks outside of the box, and is probably doing a better job than anyone in the league of exploiting his roster's full sets of skills. Everyone gets to do a little of everything in his system. PEACE.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Kobe got a vote for best perimeter defender in the league? what is this 2002? I KNOW Mitch didnt cast that vote, he actually watches the games.

so...this is why dumbfuck contracts and mind numbing trades happen.

its like GM's aren't watching the same NBA everybody else is watching...

I just want everybody in NBA-Gaf to know DY_Nasty recently became a father. He's doing it for the black community ya'll. This is a big step, and I think we should show our support to the new daddy on the block.

Congrats, DY!

Craps in 4, amirite?

When's the last time length bothered us? Or when's the last time we got beatup inside? Some people are acting like Lakers had a pair of midgets last season. Bynum is taller than Dwight FFS. As long as Bosh is healthy, we can defend against any sized frontcourt just fine. Rebounding is done by committee.

OTOH, we're trotting out more weapons than the Army on offense. It'll be interesting to see how Dwight and Pau try to camp in the paint when we post up Wade and Bron mostly, while having Bosh camp near the perimeter. The spacing has been sublime this preseason, even with secondary lineups. PEACE.

Dwight shit on you guys with regularity.

And the Drew/Pau shit was almost always pretty bad because of how stiff Drew is. Pau and Drew are fucking terrible in PNR coverage, and most teams have a stretch 4 so the size was kind of a myth.

Drew was really only a factor in the second chip, and Pau was easily the best big on the floor for the finals that year.

If you watched last nights game, it's clear the size is fluid and legitimate now, as opposed to just taking up space before.

Last years stats:

Dwights splits vs Miami:

19.8 PPG, 18.8 RPG, 1.8 SPG, 2.3 Personal Fouls Per Game, .56% FG shooting, 12 FTA Per

Bynum splits vs Miami:

15.5 PPG, 12.5 RPG, 3 BPG, .50%FG shooting, 4 FTA Per

And that's discounting the fact that Bynum is an awful help defender which is crucial against Miamis slashers and Dwight is the best in the game at it.

Not saying the Heat aren't the favorites, but the stats say that there is a world of a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom