• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Feb NBA Season lOT| Controlling it like a man, bruh

Jeff-DSA

My cousin's season tickets are behind the opposing team's bench and he said that Perkins was jawing back and forth with fans. Pretty harmless stuff overall, but enough to make Durant go act all butthurt on Twitter. I've sat in those seats a ton of times and I've never heard anything nasty. The most rude thing was probably when my friend yelled at the Cavs coach to put in Lebron their first trip to Utah after The Decision.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
So glad we got a win @ Golden State. Tomorrows game in Los Angeles won't be pretty for us unless Harden is on fire from behind the arc

welp we can rule this out hah

The M.O.B

I missed the Heat game but even after catching the Highlights on SC I had no clue Bosh dropped 32 in only 31 minutes....................And he was a side mention at the end of them.

Something something the price you pay when you want to team up and win

LMAO, listening to Stephen A's radio show and he and his cohost are really on air going 'I like Paul Millsap but Iman Shumpert is too much to give up!"

PBY

Banned
I missed the Heat game but even after catching the Highlights on SC I had no clue Bosh dropped 32 in only 31 minutes....................And he was a side mention at the end of them.

Something something the price you pay when you want to team up and win
You should try to watch the last 10 minutes. Pure stylin.

731027309_original.jpg

Fuckin scust. Looks similar to the RG3 injury. And I was just reading that Grantland story about Shaun Livingston today too. Fuck the NCAA and Stern/NBA for their bullshit. These guys should be getting paid on NBA contracts not fucking over their careers for free.

Can't say I'm too mad for kids having to get at least a small taste of higher education but college injuries are always unfortunate.

C'mon he isn't learning shit from one year of general ed classes. Meanwhile even if guys bust or flame out, one contract is enough to pay for as much schooling as they want should they choose to go that route. The idea that they learn anything from college is BS. Let these guys go pro as soon as they are adults.

giri

They should just be paid in college. I don't want more crappy highschoolers ruining the NBA.

Essentially.

I still believe they should go to college. I even think it should be for a mandatory 2 or 3 years. But i think they should be paid.

And they will be after the last court decision.

Drafting high school kids was really bad.

I don't get why you force them to go to college why they take stupid classes that has no meaning on their actual future if they make/miss the NBA.

My cousin actually ended up tutoring Issiah Thomas (Sacramento Kings), and Justin Holiday (Brother of Jrue went undrafted. Probably in Europe or D-League now). They basically take the easiest class possible, and have some bs art/communication degree that they probably won't ever finish. The one that are lucky enough to make the NBA, well they are set. The ones that fail to make the NBA just end up playing somewhere else in hopes of one day making the nba.

There is no actual fall back plan like "hmm NBA didn't work out, let become a dentist."

So forcing them to go to college seems like a complete waste of time... from my perspective at least.

For the few guys that do finish college 98% of them already knew they were never going to make the NBA, and the college hoops was just something they wanted to enjoy for as long as possible. Basically the guys that are the 10th and lower in the rotation. These guys aren't on full-ride scholarship but usually things like 1 year, 2 years, or maybe like 10 quarters. So they are smart enough to take advantage of that, then finish the rest off loans/grants/or any scholarship they can get. I actually applaud these guys. Still the number of them that do get degree? LOW.

And yes they get special treatment when being graded. But I'm sure most people already know this.

giri

Yeah, it's not about them getting a degree, particularly when they're 1 and done. They know they're going to be there for 1 year and are doing their best to just not get thrown out.

But if they make it 3 years, then some of them might actually take it a little more seriously and not be so dumb with their money (highly unlikely, but eh)

But it would make the College system actually coach them to be basketball players, and not just athletes who happen to hold a basketball. Actually force them for 3 years, with extended off seasons to actually work on their game. Maybe you'd see some of them develop a jumper before they're 30.

And they wouldn't be coming into the NBA under done like a lot of the young guys are and getting beat up by grown ass men.

And if they don't like waiting for 3 years, go to europe, and see how they deal with you (ask jennings, they work you like a dog).

I think i left this thought half finished.

It would also take a lot of the guess work out of the NBA draft. Meaning that those teams who need the help most and are drafting the highest, actually have a much better chance of drafting the most skilled and gifted players.

well, it would make it a lot better, not entirely fool proof.

You're talking about the future NBA or Europe players though. Most college basketball players could definitely use the degree.

The guys that won't make NBA/Europe are staying 4 years anyways so the 2 year,1 year or no year rule is irrelevant to them.

Yeah, it's not about them getting a degree, particularly when they're 1 and done. They know they're going to be there for 1 year and are doing their best to just not get thrown out.

But if they make it 3 years, then some of them might actually take it a little more seriously and not be so dumb with their money (highly unlikely, but eh)

But it would make the College system actually coach them to be basketball players, and not just athletes who happen to hold a basketball. Actually force them for 3 years, with extended off seasons to actually work on their game. Maybe you'd see some of them develop a jumper before they're 30.

And they wouldn't be coming into the NBA under done like a lot of the young guys are and getting beat up by grown ass men.

And if they don't like waiting for 3 years, go to europe, and see how they deal with you (ask jennings, they work you like a dog).

What's the difference between 1 year and 3 years when the are taking choir courses? And I don't mind seeing them go to Europe and being worked to hell. That's a good thing, most people have to work like hell at a shitty job at least once in their lives. It's almost impossible to get thrown out, unless it's for disciplinary reasons, but academic? Nah.

The one case I can remember of someone not being able to play for academic reason was Rodney Stuckey. He couldn't play for UW, so he just went to a smaller D2 school (Eastern) and average some godly numbers. However he didn't get thrown out of the D2 school... and it wasn't because he magically got smarter, but because the D2 school didn't want to lose the only thing they had going for them.

C'mon he isn't learning shit from one year of general ed classes. Meanwhile even if guys bust or flame out, one contract is enough to pay for as much schooling as they want should they choose to go that route. The idea that they learn anything from college is BS. Let these guys go pro as soon as they are adults.
He may not be learning shit but there are plenty of players who are actually smart and value education. Look at a guy like Brandon Knight as a recent example if a guy who was a projected lottery pick but still took school seriously. The idea that they don't learn anything if they take it seriously is BS.

Mandatory college is something that needs to happen in all walks of life.

I don't get why you force them to go to college why they take stupid classes that has no meaning on their actual future if they make/miss the NBA.

My cousin actually ended up tutoring Issiah Thomas (Sacramento Kings), and Justin Holiday (Brother of Jrue went undrafted. Probably in Europe or D-League now). They basically take the easiest class possible, and have some bs art/communication degree that they probably won't ever finish. The one that are lucky enough to make the NBA, well they are set. The ones that fail to make the NBA just end up playing somewhere else in hopes of one day making the nba.

There is no actual fall back plan like "hmm NBA didn't work out, let become a dentist."

So forcing them to go to college seems like a complete waste of time... from my perspective at least.

For the few guys that do finish college 98% of them already knew they were never going to make the NBA, and the college hoops was just something they wanted to enjoy for as long as possible. Basically the guys that are the 10th and lower in the rotation. These guys aren't on full-ride scholarship but usually things like 1 year, 2 years, or maybe like 10 quarters. So they are smart enough to take advantage of that, then finish the rest off loans/grants/or any scholarship they can get. I actually applaud these guys. Still the number of them that do get degree? LOW.

And yes they get special treatment when being graded. But I'm sure most people already know this.

Making it to the NBA doesn't mean your set. You know how many players who make millions and end up broke?

He may not be learning shit but there are plenty of players who are actually smart and value education. Look at a guy like Brandon Knight as a recent example if a guy who was a projected lottery pick but still took school seriously. The idea that they don't learn anything if they take it seriously is BS.

Mandatory college is something that needs to happen in all walks of life.

That's great for him. But Nerlins Noel could have been a first round draft pick, and even if he hurt his knee and never played again, he'd have banked a few million dollars to go out and get his bachelors or masters or doctorate or whatever the hell he wanted to if he valued an education. Either they do or they don't. Somebody who doesn't value an education isn't going to be forced into it, even if you make them stay in school for 3 or 4 years. If NBA teams are wiling to pay them they should be allowed to earn a living. It's all just bullshit collusion between the NBA and NCAA to maintain the college game and make sure those billion dollar tv contracts don't fall by the way side. They don't give a fuck about developing these kids as players or people.

giri

The guys that won't make NBA/Europe are staying 4 years anyways so the 2 year,1 year or no year rule is irrelevant to them.

What's the difference between 1 year and 3 years when the are taking choir courses? And I don't mind seeing them go to Europe and being worked to hell. That's a good thing, most people have to work like hell at a shitty job at least once in their lives. It's almost impossible to get thrown out, unless it's for disciplinary reasons, but academic? Nah.

The one case I can remember of someone not being able to play for academic reason was Rodney Stuckey. He couldn't play for UW, so he just went to a smaller D2 school (Eastern) and average some godly numbers. However he didn't get thrown out of the D2 school... and it wasn't because he magically got smarter, but because the D2 school didn't want to lose the only thing they had going for them.

Don't mean to be offensive, but did you read my post in entirety?

The difference between having no real off season and just coming into college and the coach teaching you an offensive system which is 90% based no athleticisim vs 2 off seasons with full time coaches and 3 years of playing is pretty huge.

I don't think the academic side is the REAL reason.

the NBA is just basically using the NCAA as a Minor Leagues.

I believe the college system needs to be reformed.

You have 3 options:

Option A = you are paid to play for the college team and you are not enrolled in the school to take classes

Option B = you are given a 4 year scholarship to play and must complete a degree/graduate or be forced to pay it back. You also get a stipend.

Option C = Walk ons. Like anyone else you pay your way (or academic scholarship) and get on the team but cannot be recruited.

All the NBA/NFL/etc has to do is make sure it refuses to draft anyone who takes option B until they get a degree or 4 years after HS passes. Option A and C after whatever the league determines (NBA now is 1 year but my preference is 2).

Let there be student athletes and athletes for hire. Derrick Rose should have been paid to be on Memphis and not waste a spot taking classes from someone deserving of it. Let those who want to be paid be paid and those who want to use sports to get an education do that.

edit: ninja - the NBA wants 1 or 2 years because more playing = more info = less risk when figuring out who is good and who isn't. If Kwame had to play 2 years he never would have been the 1st pick. If Kobe had to play 2 years, he would have been the 1st pick. Etc. I agree it has nothing to do with them as a person but between 18 and 20 you can really differentiate between the faux players and real ones better. That's why they want it. The more efficient teams are at picking NBA quality players the better the NBA is.

You have 3 options:

Option A = you are paid to play for the college team and you are not enrolled in the school to take classes

Option B = you are given a 4 year scholarship to play and must complete a degree/graduate or be forced to pay it back. You also get a stipend.

Option C = Walk ons. Like anyone else you pay your way (or academic scholarship) and get on the team but cannot be recruited.

All the NBA/NFL/etc has to do is make sure it refuses to draft anyone who takes option B until they get a degree or 4 years after HS passes. Option A and C after whatever the league determines (NBA now is 1 year but my preference is 2).

Let there be student athletes and athletes for hire. Derrick Rose should have been paid to be on Memphis and not waste a spot taking classes from someone deserving of it. Let those who want to be paid be paid and those who want to use sports to get an education do that.

edit: ninja - the NBA wants 1 or 2 years because more playing = more info = less risk when figuring out who is good and who isn't. If Kwame had to play 2 years he never would have been the 1st pick. If Kobe had to play 2 years, he would have been the 1st pick. Etc. I agree it has nothing to do with them as a person but between 18 and 20 you can really differentiate between the faux players and real ones better. That's why they want it. The more efficient teams are at picking NBA quality players the better the NBA is.

Personally I believe college is good for players.....I loved my time there. I think a player should be awarded insurance which starts at 250k and moves up incrementally based on their performance.

I know I am definitely in the minority here (in more ways than one) because I think you shoukd have to do 3 years before being draft eligible.

You have 3 options:

That's actually pretty good. Schools won't have to waste scholarships on players who have no intention of using them and could give them to aspiring students. Option B players also would have more of an incentive to stay longer and take school seriously.

Same here. NBA has been watered down with a lack of entry level skill in the last 10 years..

That's my take on it. There's a world full of jobs that require some form of education before you get hired, I feel like it's okay if a multi-million dollar job is one of those. I don't even think they're entitled to be paid for it though, aside from maybe making scholarships larger. People doing cancer research aren't paid for school.

linsivvi

That's my take on it. There's a world full of jobs that require some form of education before you get hired, I feel like it's okay if a multi-million dollar job is one of those. I don't even think they're entitled to be paid for it though, aside from maybe making scholarships larger. People doing cancer research aren't paid for school.

Totally different situation.

Cancer research students don't have only a 10 years window to do their jobs.

They also don't risk injuries while performing their jobs which will cut that 10 years even shorter.

They don't work in front of an audience nor for an organization that gets hundreds of millions of dollars in profits.

Normal students are actually studying a degree that has something to do with their future profession. Basketball players aren't learning basketball by going to classes. If you want them to learn basketball, make them full time basketball players and give them a degree in basketball.

Forcing players to finish a degree without getting paid is draconian at best.

They also don't risk injuries while performing their jobs which will cut that 10 years even shorter.

They don't work in front of an audience nor for an organization that gets hundreds of millions of dollars in profits.

Normal students are actually studying a degree that has something to do with their future profession. Basketball players aren't learning basketball by going to classes. If you want them to learn basketball, make them full time basketball players and give them a degree in basketball.

And yet we forget basketball is a business and dolling out millions of guaranteed money to "expiring contracts" is something I personally would not want to do.

Wonder if anybody ever kept a tab on how many high school kids and freshman who went pro never panned out and how much money they tied up that was unable to be spent on premium players.

Draconian?

You cannot treat this like an NBA factory, because it's not, even for the UConns. Once you factor in international competition, maybe 20 guys out of around 700 players get 1st round contracts. Saying that they have an X year window or risk losing that from injury cannot factor in to what the NCAA considers its ultimate role, because it's not reality.

Beyond that, this is not their major, it is a volunteer extra-curricular activity, and nobody gets money for receipts from club events in university. The scale doesn't change that. That money should be going to fund real research programs with real effects - which is why the university actually exists - not to underwrite advanced rubber ball bouncing skills. There are tons of actual pro teams around the world that players can try out for if they want to monetize their skills right away.

I know a lot of people feel passionately the other way, that this is exploitative, that these are mini NBA players who are naturally entitled to some form of the lifestyle the pro players get, or a slice of the pie that NCAA revenues bring in (for some teams). But in the big picture I can't agree with them, whether that seems fair or not.

You cannot treat this like an NBA factory, because it's not, even for the UConns. Once you factor in international competition, maybe 20 guys out of around 700 players get 1st round contracts. Saying that they have an X year window or risk losing that from injury cannot factor in to what the NCAA considers its ultimate role, because it's not reality.

Beyond that, this is not their major, it is a volunteer extra-curricular activity, and nobody gets money for receipts from club events in university. The scale doesn't change that. That money should be going to fund real research programs with real effects - which is why the university actually exists - not to underwrite advanced rubber ball bouncing skills. There are tons of actual pro teams around the world that players can try out for if they want to monetize their skills right away.

I know a lot of people feel passionately the other way, that this is exploitative, that these are mini NBA players who are naturally entitled to some form of the lifestyle the pro players get, or a slice of the pie that NCAA revenues bring in (for some teams). But in the big picture I can't agree with them, whether that seems fair or not.
I agree for the most part, schools certainly aren't factories but I think athletes should get some kind of portion of sports related income. I mean they are the main reason it comes. Schools need to stop throwing scholarships at players who aren't using them though, because there are probably hundreds of thousands of students who have better use for them.

Top Bottom