• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Feb NBA Season lOT| Controlling it like a man, bruh

Pretty sure Mazgov is no longer allowed in Canada after what Demar did to him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQJjaalhcwY

How many times can one man lose his soul...

derozanHOF_medium.gif

Ib9iWFE.gif

linsivvi

Yes apparently educating someone is a taboo here on nba-gaf...smh

"it's people's god given right to be stupid and uneducated, so there"

Right, because educating players is really what the NCAA and NBA have in mind.

You are the next LeBron James and you graduate colleage at 22. After the NCAA made millions of dollars off you, you enter a rookie contract where you're still underpaid while owners make even more money from you. By the time you're 26 or so and if you are still relatively healthy, you might get a better, but still unfair contract. At 30 or so and if you still haven't declined, you might finally get a fair deal but you'll only have a few years left.

You can argue against guaranteed contract and all that, but suggesting players should play for free for 4 years is ridiculous.

Athletic scholarship is just another name for cheap labor.

You are the next LeBron James and you graduate colleage at 22. After the NCAA made millions of dollars off you, you enter a rookie contract where you're still underpaid while owners make even more money from you. By the time you're 26 or so and if you are still relatively healthy, you might get a better, but still unfair contract. At 30 or so and if you still haven't declined, you might finally get a fair deal but you'll only have a few years left.

You can argue against guaranteed contract and all that, but suggesting players should play for free for 4 years is ridiculous.

If you're lebron james at 26, 4 years in , you're gonna get anything less than the max? FOH. Also you're confusing the NCAA with the schools themselves.

linsivvi

If you're lebron james at 26, 4 years in , you're gonna get anything less than the max? FOH. Also you're confusing the NCAA with the schools themselves.

Max allowed for players with 4 years of experience. He can't get Kobe money that he deserves to get.

The maximum amount of money a player can sign for is contingent on the number of years that player has played and the total of the salary cap. The maximum salary of a player with 6 or fewer years of experience is either $9,000,000 or 25% of the total salary cap (2010–11: $14,511,000), whichever is greater. For a player with 7–9 years of experience, the maximum is $11,000,000 or 30% of the cap (2010–11: $17,413,200), and for a player with 10+ years of experience, the maximum is $14,000,000 or 35% of the cap (2010–2011: $20,315,400).

Under the 2011 CBA, maximum salaries, as expressed as a percentage of the cap, remained mostly unchanged. However, a player coming off his rookie scale contract is eligible to sign for 30% of the cap if he was voted to start in two All-Star Games, was named to an All-NBA Team twice, or was named MVP. This was dubbed the "Derrick Rose Rule" after the 2011 MVP. In addition, newly signed contracts now have a maximum duration of five years for players with Bird rights and four years for all other players (including sign-and-trade acquisitions). Every team is allowed one "designated player" who receives a five-year maximum extension on his rookie scale contract

You need to hit year 10 to even get $20M. That's ridiculous.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

Athletic scholarship is just another name for cheap labor.

Bingo

Max allowed for players with 4 years of experience. He can't get Kobe money that he deserves to get.

You need to hit year 10 to even get $20M. That's ridiculous.

Thats mostly a CBA issue. Even still, after year 4, a lebron would get 30% of the cap. Thats like 17.5 per. What Dwight Howard can sign for next season. So thats what, at least 70m + rookie contract at least if they don't get another contract? Plus endorsements that a lebron james would get.

Im sorry, but please cry me a river. Its an education. If the best excuse you can come up with is that he won't make 100m in contracts when he'd make 70+ then please show me where to vote for more years.

Nerlens was already going to take 2 or 3 years to even be effective at the NBA level...this injury probably makes him unable to make an impact until his rookie contract is up.

If he falls to the Wiz I probably pass on him.

My cousin's season tickets are behind the opposing team's bench and he said that Perkins was jawing back and forth with fans. Pretty harmless stuff overall, but enough to make Durant go act all butthurt on Twitter. I've sat in those seats a ton of times and I've never heard anything nasty. The most rude thing was probably when my friend yelled at the Cavs coach to put in Lebron their first trip to Utah after The Decision.

Jax said fans there dropped slurs on him when he was a Warrior. and everybody knows about the D-Fish thing.

Noel was just about the only likely all-star in the draft. Him recovering from an ACL (if it is that) without harming his developing is probably more likely than guys like Isaiah Austin or Alex Len learning how to move laterally and then becoming good basketball players and Austin and Len are going to go in the top 10 so Noel still might go in the top 5 or 7.

charsace

Guys the one and done rule is bullshit. There are only a few situations where guys go to college and improve anything. And then they only improve if they are willing to improve. If you want more skilled guys in the league the coaching has to be improved from when these guys are even younger. Most players are going to learn most of their skills and pick up most of their habits before college.

Other sports don't have this stupid rule so why should the NBA? The only spor this rule makes sense in is football and that's because you want guys to build up their bodies to be prepared for the pro game.

KingKong

Guys the one and done rule is bullshit. There are only a few situations where guys go to college and improve anything. And then they only improve if they are willing to improve. If you want more skilled guys in the league the coaching has to be improved from when these guys are even younger. Most players are going to learn most of their skills and pick up most of their habits before college.

Other sports don't have this stupid rule so why should the NBA? The only spor this rule makes sense in is football and that's because you want guys to build up their bodies to be prepared for the pro game.

Because the vast majority of 18 year old kids straight out of high school arent ready to join a professional league.

The other option is to have a real NBA minor league system. MLB has high schoolers come out all the time and the goto a structured minor league system (usually Gulf Coast Instructional League first). The NBDL is still woefully behind in that aspect.

Noel was just about the only likely all-star in the draft. Him recovering from an ACL (if it is that) without harming his developing is probably more likely than guys like Isaiah Austin or Alex Len learning how to move laterally and then becoming good basketball players and Austin and Len are going to go in the top 10 so Noel still might go in the top 5 or 7.

the bigmen aside from Noel are pretty bad right now

Porter and Smart pass the eye test as guys who could be good in the NBA eventually, jury's still out on McLemore until he shows he can dribble a little bit

the bigmen aside from Noel are pretty bad right now

Porter and Smart pass the eye test as guys who could be good in the NBA eventually, jury's still out on McLemore until he shows he can dribble a little bit

Muhammad has the persona of a douche, but he's still a lottery talent. I agree with you about Porter and Smart, if they keep playing so well they're both getting picked in the top 5.

I really hope Noel's MRI comes back with good news, the Xray gives me hope.

Flash

Because the vast majority of 18 year old kids straight out of high school arent ready to join a professional league.

Then I think teams need to adjust. Maybe start by making the D-League actually worth something, and then they could develop their talent the way they want.

I just can't agree to the idea that everybody needs to go to college... those who want an education will get it, whether that means before, during, or after their professional career. To force these athletes to go to school for 1, 2 or 3 years just cause and risk a major injury (and loads of $$$) doesn't make sense to me. Especially when the majority of them will just get the easiest possible degree that won't really amount to anything.

Then I think teams need to adjust. Maybe start by making the D-League actually worth something, and then they could develop their talent the way they want.

I just can't agree to the idea that everybody needs to go to college... those who want an education will get it, whether that means before, during, or after their professional career. To force these athletes to go to school for 1, 2 or 3 years just cause and risk a major injury (and loads of $$$) doesn't make sense to me. Especially when the majority of them will just get the easiest possible degree that won't really amount to anything.

It makes sense when you're an athletic department making buckets of money, for everyone else not so much. A fully developed d-league would make tons of money for the NBA, players, and TV networks. We're slowly heading in that direction too. It's the best thing Stern has done since he became commissioner in my opinion.

linsivvi

The other option is to have a real NBA minor league system. MLB has high schoolers come out all the time and the goto a structured minor league system (usually Gulf Coast Instructional League first). The NBDL is still woefully behind in that aspect.

A minor league system makes a hell lot more sense. It allows a player to get paid playing basketball and the opportunity to make real money if he's ready to join the big league. Why the hell should a basketball player get a degree in communication or whatever useless major?

The job requirement excuse is such bullshit. A college degree has nothing to do with basketball. All it does is waste away the golden years of an athlete.

Any player who can make it to the NBA, even a 10 day contract, will be able to afford a college degree at any point after his playing career.

Honestly i think the rule is bullshit in the NFL too. If a team wants to draft a high school senior or college underclassman and develop them on their own dime more power to them. It would actually be another avenue to help smaller market or down trodden franchises compete. Marcia Lattimore probably could have been drafted after his freshman season, instead he got his knee obliterated for free and may never see a dime of NFL money. This idea that younger players are these scrawny kids that aren't ready for the physical toll of the pro game is an archaic one. A lot of today's high school athletes are exposed to a much more advanced weight, fitness and nutrition programs than before.

Jeff-DSA

Jax said fans there dropped slurs on him when he was a Warrior. and everybody knows about the D-Fish thing.

Well, as a season ticket holders for over 20 years, I can honestly say that I never even once heard a racial slur at a game. Not a single time. Maybe someone said something to him, but I'm still kind of doubting it. I don't get why he would all of a sudden be singled out and be the target of slurs when it's not happening to anybody else.

As for the Fisher thing, that guy was a clown. You didn't see others doing that. And for the Fisher lied chants, well, yeah he did. It's pretty obvious that he's just a slimeball and is only out for himself at all times.

Westbrook's interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGVfY1g_wqQ

otapnam

As good an athlete is, if i was a professional team gm, coach, or owner, i wouldnt want to work with anyone that isnt mature enough to see the importance of college. Theres been too many immature guys in the league both prep and college. You cant just point out the few success stories when so many have burned out

linsivvi

Thats mostly a CBA issue. Even still, after year 4, a lebron would get 30% of the cap. Thats like 17.5 per. What Dwight Howard can sign for next season. So thats what, at least 70m + rookie contract at least if they don't get another contract? Plus endorsements that a lebron james would get.

Im sorry, but please cry me a river. Its an education. If the best excuse you can come up with is that he won't make 100m in contracts when he'd make 70+ then please show me where to vote for more years.

Did you just pull the lazy millionaires getting paid a lot so they shouldn't be paid fairly argument?

Players like LeBron are the top 0.00001% of the population. People would pay thousands of dollars for a tickets to see them live. They are the reason why people all over the world watch the NBA. Why the hell should they not be paid what they deserve? Just because they are getting a 75M contract doesn't mean some rich old white men should be able to scam them that extra 25M that they deserve.

Adding mandatory college degree as a requirement to join the league would just rob them of even more money.

And you call yourself a Heat fan. Shame on you.

Flash

Did you just pull the lazy millionaires getting paid a lot so they shouldn't be paid fairly argument?

Players like LeBron are the top 0.00001% of the population. People would pay thousands of dollars for a tickets to see them live. They are the reason why people all over the world watch the NBA. Why the hell should they not be paid what they deserve? Just because they are making getting a 75M contract doesn't mean some rich old white men should be able to scam them that extra 25M that they deserve.

Adding mandatory college degree as a requirement to join the league would just rob them of even more money.

I agree some players will never be paid enough but there needs to be a set max contract, cause a lot of GMs are dumb and impulsive.

and as for that YNB interview, the dude clearly has some anger issues lol. Has it always been like this? I don't remember this being as much of an issue in previous years.

linsivvi

I agree some players will never be paid enough but there needs to be a set max contract, cause a lot of GMs are dumb and impulsive.

and as for that YNB interview, the dude clearly has some anger issues lol. Has it always been like this? I don't remember this being as much of an issue in previous years.

Well I agree that max contract is a way to protect GMs from their own stupidity and to balance the teams a little bit, but to say all 18 year olds should go for a 4 year degree before they can play professional basketball is simply bullshit and just a way to scam them of money that they deserve.

If you are old enough to vote, to join the army and fight for your country, then you are old enough to play basketball. Even without the college requirement, only very few high school players are good enough to join the NBA anyway. For every high school player that turns out to be a bust, there are 10 college players or seasoned Euro vets that turn out to be busts.

Players like LeBron are the top 0.00001% of the population. People would pay thousands of dollars for a tickets to see them live. They are the reason why people all over the world watch the NBA. Why the hell should they not be paid what they deserve? Just because they are getting a 75M contract doesn't mean some rich old white men should be able to scam them that extra 25M that they deserve.

What?

I'm talking about going to college. I believe there should be mandatory post secondary educations for everyone, not just ball players. Once you move to another country and you start to realize just how fucking pathetic America is in a lot of areas, you start to want better. Tertiary education is apart of that. It's not really about a degree, especially a bachelors.

As far as the college to pro sports thing, I want to eliminate athletic scholarships for people who aren't using them or have no plan to. If you don't stay in school you should be obligated to pay all the debt back to the school. I would also love for the NCAA to impose some form of compensation package for players.

Nothing I'm saying has anything to do with the money the NBA would pay them. What I'm saying, is that "but but they could make millions more on top of the millions they already would make if they could hop in after HS" is a BS excuse against more schooling.

shira

just depends what the injury is really. As long as it isn't serious ACL/MCL damage

When your knee collapses like that you can make a lot of quick assumptions.
Sure they can say he will do an AP and recover in 8 months, but that guy was a one in a billion.

He'll probably Oden

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Just get rid of college athletics and make these youngins go straight to the D-League where they'll get paid -- even if it's not NBA level at least it's a livable wage.

linsivvi

Nothing I'm saying has anything to do with the money the NBA would pay them. What I'm saying, is that "but but they could make millions more on top of the millions they already would make if they could hop in after HS" is a BS excuse against more schooling.

Schooling is fine as long as they are getting paid fairly.

If you are a student and you work in the school library you get paid. If you work at McDonalds flipping burgers you get paid. If you are a post-graduate student and you work as a tutor you also get paid.

So why the hell are athletes making millions of dollars for their schools get no money at all?

KingGondo

Banned
I'm not opposed to the idea of college athletes getting compensated, but there are substantial complex issues that would need to be solved first (How much will non-football and basketball athletes get paid? How will this be regulated so the richest schools don't monopolize talent?) and let's not forget that these guys are being given a full ride to college plus lots of extras (access to athletics dorms, special cafeterias, tutoring, etc.). Sure, lots of athletes don't take school seriously, but they're still being given something quite valuable for their athletic skills.

But if a kid wants to go straight to the league, he should be able to. This applies to the NFL as well.

Whenever I think about the issue of college athletes getting paid I get the mental image of Cartman in an old fashioned southern suit standing on the sideline greedily rubbing his hands together.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Ed O'Bannon is actually suing the NCAA and it's going to court:

A federal judge in California has ruled that lawyers representing current and former college athletes in a potentially landmark anti-trust lawsuit against the NCAA over use of their names and likenesses can proceed with efforts to have the case certified as a class action and ultimately to gain billions generated by the athletes' play.

Lawyers for the named plaintiffs -- among them former basketball stars Ed O'Bannon, Oscar Robertson and Bill Russell – also have said they want to fundamentally change how athletes are compensated for playing these sports in college.

In a case that began in 2009, the plaintiffs allege that the defendants violated anti-trust law by conspiring to fix at zero the amount of compensation athletes can receive for the use of their names, images and likenesses in products or media while they are in school. They additionally allege the athletes are required to sign forms under which they relinquish in perpetuity all rights pertaining to the use of the names, images and likenesses in ways including TV contracts, rebroadcasts of games and video game, jersey and other apparel sales.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...on-players-lawsuit-name-and-likeness/1877031/

Top Bottom