• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Feb NBA Season lOT| Controlling it like a man, bruh

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Sure, but there's the question of how to deal with sports where money is lost, not made.
Use the millions upon millions of dollars used in endowment, or cut a bit from the millions that coaches and ADs get. Or just don't have them. You're selling a shirt with my name on it, and I can't get a share? No way to justify that. Talking about the sports that lose money? Some of these coaches are getting paid millions, so why do they get a pass?

rando14

Use the millions upon millions of dollars used in endowment, or cut a bit from the millions that coaches and ADs get. Or just don't have them. You're selling a shirt with my name on it, and I can't get a share? No way to justify that. Talking about the sports that lose money? Some of these coaches are getting paid millions, so why do they get a pass?

It's complicated. Coaches and ADs get paid a lot because that's what the market is willing to pay. Don't want to pay your coach what he wants? He'll go to OSU and leave your team without a second thought, and suddenly your team is without a good coach. What could have been a winning season turns into a losing one. If your college cares about sports at all, suddenly you're in the hot seat.

Lots of pressure from many sides, but at the moment there's not enough from the players to justify paying them.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

The big issue, and why this is now an anti-trust suit, is that the NCAA is making BILLIONS of dollars on ex-NCAA players likeness and name via videogames, merchandise, video and what not after they are well done playing college ball. This goes beyond "should players be compensated while in college?"

SoulPlaya

more money than God
The big issue, and why this is now an anti-trust suit, is that the NCAA is making BILLIONS of dollars on ex-NCAA players likeness and name via videogames, merchandise, video and what not after they are well done playing college ball. This goes beyond "should players be compensated while in college?"
Yeah, that just makes it a lot worse.

It's complicated. Coaches and ADs get paid a lot because that's what the market is willing to pay. Don't want to pay your coach what he wants? He'll go to OSU and leave your team without a second thought, and suddenly your team is without a good coach. What could have been a winning season turns into a losing one. If your college cares about sports at all, suddenly you're in the hot seat.

Lots of pressure from many sides, but at the moment there's not enough from the players to justify paying them.
If you're going to let the market determine things for coaches and ADs, then you should do the same for the players.

NCAA is non-profit. They get audited regularly just like any other NP org and their revenue totals less than a billion. The vast majority of that is the tv contracts . The schools are estimated at about 7 billion total revenue of athletic programs. That's where the money is...

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Apparently, the Bulls are trying to get a trade together that involved Boozer/Nate for Brandon Bass/Jason Terry.

What a terrible move. Straight salary dump.

linsivvi

Apparently, the Bulls are trying to get a trade together that involved Boozer/Nate for Brandon Bass/Jason Terry.

Boozer for Dwight, straight up. The Pau/Boozer combo plus 4 points 8 TO Kobe should be enough to ensure a lottery pick in 2014!

Bread

Banned

oh my god that would be awesome

boozer and kg would be the most hated front court in the league

reilo

NCAA is non-profit. They get audited regularly just like any other NP org and their revenue totals less than a billion. The vast majority of that is the tv contracts . The schools are estimated at about 7 billion total revenue of athletic programs. That's where the money is...

Because the NCAA sets the rules and owns the players rights, which they then license to someone like EA. The schools are definitely being targeted via their governing body. EA is also part of the lawsuit.

Think of it as an anti-trust suit against the IOC -- even they are non-profit.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Boozer for Dwight, straight up. The Pau/Boozer combo plus 4 points 8 TO Kobe should be enough to ensure a lottery pick in 2014!
Lakers-AGE have embraced Boozer in the past day. I mean, look, if the Lakers aren't going to be all that great, then at least, let's have some fun. Boozer and Dwight are good friends. Let's have some fun.

linsivvi

Lakers-AGE have embraced Boozer in the past day. I mean, look, if the Lakers aren't going to be all that great, then at least, let's have some fun. Boozer and Dwight are good friends. Let's have some fun.

I will have more fun watching Boozer and Pau on the same team though. Seriously.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Boozer can't leave Chicago without Taj! Taj would be a mess w/o booz
Yeah, I don't think Brandon Bass will teach Taj how to read, and keep him from further embarrassing himself in public. Bass doesn't have the authority that Taj would listen to. Taj respects Booz (and drinks it too).

Because the NCAA sets the rules and owns the players rights, which they then license to someone like EA. The schools are definitely being targeted via their governing body. EA is also part of the lawsuit.

Think of it as an anti-trust suit against the IOC -- even they are non-profit.
They don't license players rights though. You aren't allowed to use a players likeness in video games or whatever. And I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that the schools would hold rights for things like jerseys or whatever.

The best they could hope for is the NCAA to be forced to impose regulations for players to be paid. Actually getting the money will have to be brought to the schools.

Antitrust would be the wrong claim here as far as the NCAA goes.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
This is a simple trade for the Bulls/Nets/Celtics that makes sense, and works out for all teams.

Nets: Finally get a legit starting PF, who is known for working great with Deron
Celtics: Get salary relief, with one less year on a contract
Bulls: Get KG

Bulls get KG
Celts get Humphries
Nets get Boozer

reilo

They don't license players rights though. You aren't allowed to use a players likeness in video games or whatever. And I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that the schools would hold rights for things like jerseys or whatever.

The best they could hope for is the NCAA to be forced to impose regulations for players to be paid. Actually getting the money will have to be brought to the schools.

Antitrust would be the wrong claim here as far as the NCAA goes.

From the article:

They additionally allege the athletes are required to sign forms under which they relinquish in perpetuity all rights pertaining to the use of the names, images and likenesses in ways including TV contracts, rebroadcasts of games and video game, jersey and other apparel sales.

And "likeness" isn't mutually exclusive to somebody's name.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
When your knee collapses like that you can make a lot of quick assumptions.
Sure they can say he will do an AP and recover in 8 months, but that guy was a one in a billion.

He'll probably Oden

I'm gonna say that is unlikely. Oden has had issue requiring microfracture surgery. Which is highly invasive and requires bone healing. A lot of issues occur in the bone not regaining full density and strength.
MCL and ACL surgeries are not simple procedures by any means and require extensive rehab but the majority of that is regaining flexibility and strength.

Yeah that's way too technical but that's how my brain works. Sorry. :)
At his age, assuming he gets a great surgeon, has the drive and motivation to committ to the rehab I think you will see him recovery fully.
The unfortunate thing is we will never know what type of player "he could have been". Just getting past the mental challenges of the injury will be a big enough hurdle for this young man to get over.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
The more likely trade scenario, however, is this for the Bulls/Nets/Celtics.

Bulls get Bass/Terry (and maybe Fab Melo)
Nets get Boozer
Celts get Humphries and Nate Robinson

If this happens, then the Nets get a starting PF who can work great with Deron, Celts get major salary relief after next season, and the Bulls get much worse, but get under the luxury tax (and that's all they care about)..

I've said it before, but if this happens, then this is another example of the Bulls organization. They already have a useless SG in Rip, and then, they'll have Terry to replace him for another two years, and Bass is not better than Booz.

Jeff-DSA

Nets get Boozer

If this happens, then the Nets get a starting PF who can work great with Deron, Celts get major salary relief after next season, and the Bulls get much worse, but get under the luxury tax (and that's all they care about)..

I've said it before, but if this happens, then this is another example of the Bulls organization. They already have a useless SG in Rip, and then, they'll have Terry to replace him for another two years, and Bass is not better than Booz.

Booz drops to sub-Bass level in the playoffs.

From the article:

And "likeness" isn't mutually exclusive to somebody's name.
Yeah, the NCAA rules dictate that you can't sell your likeness of being an athlete. They don't do it either. Antitrust would be the case if they did, while restricting your option to negotiate on your own terms.

Also, yes the likeness is more than a name but in the case of an athlete it isn't much more. In video games instead of being KD, you are random 6'9 black guy for Texas, for all legal intents and purposes. It's perfectly legal in most all forms of media.

Edit: then there's the whole hurdle about the players agreeing to the regulations prior to playing.

coach nick thinks LA would have been better with Sessions over Nash, (not as much of a minus on D) damn.

:/ I'd want neither on the team for what we'd probably have to give up.
What does SA have to offer Atlanta that they even need? Splitter and Jax? They dont need shooters and they dont need guys like Mills or De Colo.

Nets get Boozer

The Bulls would probably be the biggest winners in that trade, actually. Giving up Nate Robinson might be an issue, but losing Boozer is a plus.

What does SA have to offer Atlanta that they even need? Splitter and Jax? They dont need shooters and they dont need guys like Mills or De Colo.

Thats pretty much the only trading assets we have that we'd actually trade. Manu isn't going anywhere and neither is Parker unless we're getting someone like Lebron which isn't happening.

I just don't see how that trade works for either team unless a third is involved.

Nerlens not even getting surgery for 2-3 weeks...seems kind of unprofessional. These things are usually taken care of immediately.

Kind of a blessing in disguise. Hope he falls to the Wiz.

reilo

Nerlens not even getting surgery for 2-3 weeks...seems kind of unprofessional. These things are usually taken care of immediately.

You need to let the swelling go down. It's completely standard.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
The Bulls would probably be the biggest winners in that trade, actually. Giving up Nate Robinson might be an issue, but losing Boozer is a plus.
I think the Nets are. They get a legit starting PF, and Boozer has shown this season that he's still deadly in a PnR, but few guys on the Bulls can run it properly. Deron can, and he and Booz have great chemistry together. By giving up Nate, and since Hinrich is still injured, Marquis Teague becomes their main PG, lol.

SoulPlaya

more money than God

Unprofessional? LOL! Swelling has to go down, before you can perform a surgery like this.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Are you saying RGIII's surgery was unprofessional? It was done like 12 hours after his knee injury :O/
Then his had little swelling. It depends on the specific injury. For instance, last season, Shumps had his surgery quickly after he tore his AACL because his knee had little swelling. Rose, however, had to wait 10 days because his knee had major swelling.

It isn't a sports message board, though, unless you've got people passing judgment on medical practices, lol.

reilo

Are you saying RGIII's surgery was unprofessional? It was done like 12 hours after his knee injury :O/

Edit: My mistake, he got surgery 3 days later.

3 days is still a very short time span. It all depends on the severity of the injury and how much swelling there is. My buddy tore his ACL/MCL last April and had to wait 2 or 3 weeks to get surgery.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Is it me, or are there many more of them nowadays?

I had a post with the list of players in the last two years. There a lot! I'm sure the lock out season didn't help, but it doesn't explain the injuries this year already. Is it a sneaker thing?

Top Bottom