• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Feb NBA Season lOT| Controlling it like a man, bruh

kobetakingjumpersover4defenders.jpg

LBJ learned to stop taking pull up 3s
Cutting you off right there.

How do we determine he stopped, because he hasn't for a week or two? The key is he needs to be under enough pressure to revert back to that, this isn't the 1st time he's "stopped taking long 3s". Remember last year?

Vahagn

What the hell are you talking about? You were contesting my point about Lebron's jumpshot not being as reliable as Kobe's.

I never said a damn thing about Ray Allen.

Bron has a better 16-23 foot jumpshot in 2 of those 3 years, also.

Your only argument for why Lebron is a better jump shooter is efficiency. So I compared the efficiency of two other players and asked you to draw the same conclusions. You won't because they're wrong conclusions. Anyone that watches Ray Allen play knows how many 3's he takes with a hand in his face, and fading right or left or out of bounds with no time on the clock. The same "difficulty" issue as Kobe's jump shots.

Lebron has a higher % than Ray Allen and Kobe not because he's a better shooter, but because he gets easier, more wide open, less contested shots. That's the point. You ignored the Kobe point I made and chalked it up to homerism, so I brought up Ray Allen. You just "dadum dadum"'d your way through that.

You're a troll, well done.

If you're still too slow - here's the correct conclusion from looking at stats and the actual games. Ray Allen, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant...all these guys are better jump shooters then Lebron. But because of a variety of factors (reputation as a shooter, less dangerous driving to the basket) they are covered more closely and have to shoot more difficult jump shots than Lebron has to. This skews the FG% to say that Lebron is a better jump shooter than he would be, if he had to shoot the same level of difficulty shots as those other 3. And Vice versa.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

How do we determine he stopped, because he hasn't for a week or two? The key is he needs to be under enough pressure to revert back to that, this isn't the 1st time he's "stopped taking long 3s". Remember last year?
I'm not even talking about his hot streak. LBJ's efficiency has gone from good to through the roof over the last 3 years.

Last year was the year when he stopped...

Emwitus

kobetakingjumpersover4defenders.jpg

LBJ learned to stop taking pull up 3s. Kobe has yet to give a fuck. Efficiency and how to not play into a defenses hands. How does I think am hoop.

lol eFG% = look dat shit up rick fox

Hey, I'm man enough to admit i'm not a stat whore. hahaha. Lawd knows dat lebron shit is ugly tho. I sort of think Vag has a point here lol. I'll simplify. Do you think Bron bron will have as great 3pt mechanics as ray?

I'm not even talking about his hot streak. LBJ's efficiency has gone from good to through the roof over the last 3 years.
Ah efficiency. I just thought you meant he stopped taking the bailout 3.

But sure, why even do that when you can take advantage of the complete lack of guys able to stay him front of him? I wept the other day @ the guys Portland thought could guard LeBron. Straight giveup, it would be like the Knicks deciding to put Steve Novak on LeBron 1-on-1.
Last year was the year when he stopped...
Stopped for a week and went back to doing it, then stooped for a few more weeks you mean.

DY_nasty

I really don't know where Vahagn gets off not being able to discern something google-able like eFG%, move goal posts mid discussion, then introduce obviously opinionated factors like what he considers a difficult shot in an argument that he repeats every 2 weeks then talking down to others like they're the ones starting this shit up.
Stopped for a week and went back to doing it, then stooped for a few more weeks you mean.

Naw, his 3pt FGAs last year were the lowest of his entire career. This year he's clearly learned what a good 3 looks like instead of bailing defenders out with bad shots.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. I may be misunderstanding something.

Jeff-DSA

Enes Kanter wins Valentine's Day.

TksmTQ5.jpg

Better. Lebron is having a great stretch, obviously but had a mediocore mid range coming into the league which is now effective. Which was my argument. Obviously as kobe declines his numbers are going to keep going down. But overall kobe has a better midrange jump shot. Now with durant, that's a different story.

Lebron and Kobe shoot about the same % the last 5 years.

Granted, Kobe shoots tougher ones and more of them, but Lebron isn't a bad long 2 shooter for a while now. He's actually poor at the 10-15 feet range, though improved recently.

Vahagn

I really don't know where Vahagn gets off not being able to discern something google-able like eFG%, move goal posts mid discussion, then introduce obviously opinionated factors like what he considers a difficult shot in an argument that he repeats every 2 weeks then talking down to others like they're the ones starting this shit up.

WTF are you talking about? Who's moving goal posts?

If you believe that fg% on 3 point shots means that someone is a better 3 point shooter. Than you have to apply that in all cases. You can't just fucking cherry pick. You can't say for example that Lebron James is a better 3 point shooter this season than Kobe's ever been and not say Lebron is a better 3 point shooter this season than ANYONE IN ANY SEASON WHO HAS EVER SHOT LESS THAN 42%.

Unless you're willing to make that last statement, YOU'RE THE ONE not being objective. You're the one using a convenient statistic to prove a subjective point but not taking the objective stance on that.

Essentially, kinda being a coward and not standing by your claims.

Edit: And Lol at you claiming my point isn't objective. It's far more refined analysis than the garbage you or DieHard are bringing out. Acting like every 3 point shot is the exact same, and each player takes the exact same amount of open shots as every other player. Acting like there aren't other variables that I'm trying to discuss but you're ignoring because it just tears your argument to shreds.

DY_nasty

WTF are you talking about? Who's moving goal posts?

If you believe that fg% on 3 point shots means that someone is a better 3 point shooter. Than you have to apply that in all cases. You can't just fucking cherry pick. You can't say for example that Lebron James is a better 3 point shooter this season than Kobe's ever been and not say Lebron is a better 3 point shooter this season than ANYONE IN ANY SEASON WHO HAS EVER SHOT LESS THAN 42%.

Unless you're willing to make that last statement, YOU'RE THE ONE not being objective. You're the one using a convenient statistic to prove a subjective point but not taking the objective stance on that.

Essentially, kinda being a coward and not standing by your claims.

Why does everyone ask you to stop posting when you get wound up like this
Why we talking about Ray Allen
Why is every single argument you bring up related to Kobe
Why do you end every single post with a slight at who you're quoting
Why did you get butthurt and cry about people calling you out last year when I "stood by my claims" as I made damn sure you knew exactly who was calling you out, why, and for what

Vahagn

Why does everyone ask you to stop posting when you get wound up like this
Why we talking about Ray Allen
Why is every single argument you bring up related to Kobe
Why do you end every single post with a slight at who you're quoting
Why did you get butthurt and cry about people calling you out last year when I "stood by my claims" as I made damn sure you knew exactly who was calling you out, why, and for what

Cool so ignore everything I said. And If you don't realize why I brought up Ray Allen, just whoosh way over your head. My argument wasn't about Kobe. I was on here posting about Jordan, Lebron, Dr. Buss, and lots of other shit until DieHard said something stupid. Then I challenged it.

You're the one going "why do you always post about Kobe" and then in the next sentence go "why are you bringing up ray allen, this is between lebron and kobe" lol

DY_nasty

Cool so ignore everything I said. And If you don't realize why I brought up Ray Allen, just whoosh way over your head. My argument wasn't about Kobe. I was on here posting about Jordan, Lebron, Dr. Buss, and lots of other shit until DieHard said something stupid. Then I challenged it.

You're the one going "why do you always post about Kobe" and then in the next sentence go "why are you bringing up ray allen, this is between lebron and kobe" lol

People ignore what you say because you don't know what "efficiency" or "majority" mean for starters...

And if I'm referring to you harping on Kobe, don't I have to mention Kobe? #

this the shit i'm talking about lol

PBY

Banned
People ignore what you say because you don't know what "efficiency" or "majority" mean for starters...

And if I'm referring to you harping on Kobe, don't I have to mention Kobe? #wtf

Nah bruh, he ethered you real good w dat Vaghan logic.

Vahagn

And if I'm referring to you harping on Kobe, don't I have to mention Kobe? #wtf

No people ignore what I say for the same reason they ignore anyone who posts anything of length. Actual basketball conversation doesn't really happen much on here. It's usually guys watching games going "Bynum all over my face!!!!"

I'm usually involved in most discussions of any substance at all. Also, this page, as has been well documented, has a weird fraternity type feel to it that just trolls newcomers, especially ones brazen enough to challenge any of you.

So no, people don't ignore me on substance of my arguments, they ignore me because they'd rather not get into any substantive discussion on the game and just post gifs and shit.

DY_nasty

No people ignore what I say for the same reason they ignore anyone who posts anything of length. Actual basketball conversation doesn't really happen much on here. It's usually guys watching games going "Bynum all over my face!!!!"

I'm usually involved in most discussions of any substance at all. Also, this page, as has been well documented, has a weird fraternity type feel to it that just trolls newcomers, especially ones brazen enough to challenge any of you.

So no, people don't ignore me on substance of my arguments, they ignore me because they'd rather not get into any substantive discussion on the game and just post gifs and shit.

That is not it at all...

And please don't speak for all newcomers considering you got banned for doing exactly what you claim in your 2nd statement to a mod.

Vahagn

That is not it at all...

And please don't speak for all newcomers considering you got banned for doing exactly what you claim in your 2nd statement to a mod.

Practically Everyone's been banned on here, many way more times than me. And, this whole thread got shut down because of the way it treated new comers, don't start with that shit.

Edit: Bottom line. If you're going to make a claim using some statistic to say "Player A is better than Player B at this one thing because they are better at this or that statistic" you better damn well be prepared to say that "Player A is better than EVERYONE at that one thing if the other person is worse at that statistic"

If you want to use eFG% to say someone is a "better" shooter than someone with a lower eFG% - that has to apply to everyone. If you don't do that, you're not being objective at all especially if you don't have any other reasoned explanation besides the statistic.

Jeff-DSA

Alec "Alex" Burks should probably get more time. I like that he's been in the rotation more lately, but he is probably going to be one of those guys we let slip away and then he does real well elsewhere.

DY_nasty

Practically Everyone's been banned on here, many way more times than me. And, this whole thread got shut down because of the way it treated new comers, don't start with that shit.

Practically everyone?

lol... stop speaking for everyone and look in a mirror. People ask you to stop posting because you rehash the same arguments over and over with new and improved cascading goalposts. The thread got shutdown because of a newbie who posted 9 times in 3 months mentioned another member who has absolutely nothing to do with the thread in a negative manner. I personally sent out PMs to over 40 people including mods before and after that entire event.

Stop talking out of your ass and consider the possibility that you may sound like an idiot

Vahagn

Practically everyone?

lol... stop speaking for everyone and look in a mirror. People ask you to stop posting because you rehash the same arguments over and over with new and improved cascading goalposts. The thread got shutdown because of a newbie who posted 9 times in 3 months mentioned another member who has absolutely nothing to do with the thread in a negative manner. I personally sent out PMs to over 40 people including mods before and after that entire event.

Stop talking out of your ass and consider the possibility that you may sound like an idiot

So because the name Kobe comes up you think it's the same argument? Nuance dude. And, whatever the initial spark that caused the thread to get shut down, everyone knows and it was publicly stated that this thread was hostile as hell to newcomers and that it was a problem. Other threads I would frequent would even crack jokes about that.

Clearly you're protective of this thread and find it somehow flawless or whatever, but I'm not as emotionally attached to it as you seem to be, fighting to save it like it was your marriage, so maybe that allows me to see what people say about it instead of tuning out all the vitriol aimed at newcomers and then blame a newcomer, in classic thread fashion

All that being said, it's just a basketball discussion. it ain't that important. Chill out.

Nori Chan

Also I'm stuck making dinner for my gf so I'm pretty sure ill miss the first half. At least Vday doesn't fall on all star weekend again

Alec "Alex" Burks should probably get more time. I like that he's been in the rotation more lately, but he is probably going to be one of those guys we let slip away and then he does real well elsewhere.

He's been real good. We havent had a guy like dat for awhile. Love his gm.

TylerD

Guys we got this...

Scottie Brooks has already said that we will play the same lineups we usually do against the Heat. Perk power!

Also, YNB has an Aventador.

Russell-Westbrook-car-lamborghini-533x400.jpg

#YNOT?

Vahagn

Guys we got this...

Scottie Brooks has already said that we will play the same lineups we usually do against the Heat. Perk power!

#YNOT?

I'd always be scared to drive a car that low to the ground. Feel like even a pebble would mess with it, and a speed bump would knock the bumper off.

KingGondo

Banned
Guys we got this...

#YNOT?
Yeah, I heard about Brooks' stubbornness earlier. I do think there's merit to trying to out rebound the Heat, but it would work a lot better if Perk could punish them on offense and offset his uselessness on defense against Bosh for a bit.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch or post tonight. :( Spousal duties call, I'll be making dinner for my wife.

I feel confident in a win at home, though. This game's much more important to OKC than it is to Miami.

DY_nasty

So because the name Kobe comes up you think it's the same argument? Nuance dude. And, whatever the initial spark that caused the thread to get shut down, everyone knows and it was publicly stated that this thread was hostile as hell to newcomers and that it was a problem. Other threads I would frequent would even crack jokes about that.

Clearly you're protective of this thread and find it somehow flawless or whatever, but I'm not as emotionally attached to it as you seem to be, fighting to save it like it was your marriage, so maybe that allows me to see what people say about it instead of tuning out all the vitriol aimed at newcomers and then blame a newcomer, in classic thread fashion

All that being said, it's just a basketball discussion. it ain't that important. Chill out.

Yet you still fail to look in the mirror and say "Wow, maybe I'm doin 2 much"

And you wonder why you get things like this. You go from not even attempting to google eFG%, to talking down to people, to ignoring the fact that you have issues dealing with people remembering that you do, to ignoring half a dozen people telling you that they're tired of seeing you fill the thread with the combination of such, to making assumptions about shit you know nothing about, to hypocritically calling out others for something you JUST did in this post and 3 others on the same page, to finding out that you may be wrong about something again - and not simply saying "oh, i see. moving on" you continue to fuck chickens and insult the people you're talking to.

People say dumb shit in a Apple thread they're going to be corrected or called out for it. A game thread. A movie thread. Etc. People want any kind of community or extended community thread to go on. Etc. Maybe some people here actually know other people here and meet up through this thread. But by all means, continue rolling down hill and slinging shit as you go.

Whenever you feel like saying you might have an issue, go right ahead. There's a strong, strong possibility that you're coming off like a douche - and blaming everyone else for not wanting to see others getting tied up in another one of your rants should be another nudge in the direction of a mirror.

Cloudy

Banned

I also don't see much of this new-found post game everyone's talking about. The guy is just driving to the rim and dunking in transition off steals. That's it. He'd cannot be defended 1on1 and Bosh and Wade are dropping 30 every other game too. What can you do? lol

Top Bottom