• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Feb NBA Season lOT| Controlling it like a man, bruh

Vahagn

Or he ran his center out of town who was serving him up rings on a silver platter?

Eh Snaq burned bridges everywhere he went. Orlando FO, Buss Family, Nash and Riles weren't big fans either, dude didn't smarten up with that mercenary act and got lucky Jerry Buss was a gracious owner or he wouldn't have his number retired anywhere.

Writers want drama, but A) almost nobody walks away from that Bird Rights money, and B) everybody will forget half this stuff when the Lakers make the playoffs. They've got the 3rd easiest schedule in the West from here.

Vahagn

How can a big man be a bust at 19 years old?

My bad, replace Bust with useless.

The hell are you talking about? Bynum was a raw youngster.

He was a project that wasn't panning out. Couldn't stay on the floor at the rates he collected fouls and was being beat out of the starting lineup by Kwame Brown and Chris Mihm. He took a huge leap that off season and came back playing really well enough to convince the FO to go all in on Pau. Before that year, in the summer when Kobe pushed for Kidd - it was a no brainier I think. No one thought Kidd for Bynum was a bad deal.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
THAT Bynum couldn't beat Kwame Brown for the starting spot. Came back a beast, but he was a bust up until that point.

And thanks to Kobe he transformed into a beast, is what you are saying?

In talks with ATL for Josh Smith, Wizards have said all but 3 players available: J Wall, B Beal & Nene

Without giving up our pick I might do it and not want to kill myself.

That money either goes to a combination of ARiza/Okafor or a free agent...and really the only free agents we might get are Granger/Cousins...doubtful on the latter and paying Granger near max is worse than paying Smith.

At leaset Smith would let us play to our defensive strengths.

Crawford/Booker/Okafor for Smith.

Nene/Ariza/unprotected 2012 1st for Dwight.

Wall
Beal
Webster
Smith
Dwight

oh please based god

Vahagn

And thanks to Kobe he transformed into a beast, is what you are saying?

Nope. That summer our whole bench got significantly better. It was weird. Went from barely making the 7th seed the year before to being #1 in the conference a week before Bynum went down in January. Farmar, Bynum and Walton were playing better. We picked up Ariza and Fisher which on paper didn't seem huge but actually were. It was just crazy lucky that all thos role players upped their game.

No idea what pushed everyone in our bench to train hard that summer - I'm sure they all had different motivations.

Talon

That money either goes to a combination of ARiza/Okafor or a free agent...and really the only free agents we might get are Granger/Cousins...doubtful on the latter and paying Granger near max is worse than paying Smith.

Wall
Beal
Webster
Smith
Dwight

oh please based god
Please give us Josh Smith for our trash.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
John Wall finally gets a smart player to work with and you want to bring in and max Smith?

Just wait for Granger. He fits twice as good.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Why do national media guys think that Al Jefferson would help the Spurs a ton

I'm not sure there's a player that fits that team and scheme worse.

The Spurs have become more offensively minded, he would be an interesting fit.

But Pop might explode from his rebounding

Emwitus

Wall
Beal
Webster
Smith
Dwight

oh please based god

hahaha...i'd fire mitch if he did that.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

You're trading last years pick for Dwight? I guess that works lol.

Seriously though Lakers fans have to accept Dwight isn't getting shit back in a trade. Kind of like how Magic fans had to accept that. If the Lakers got that kind of package then I'd be impressed.

Personally I think the Dwight for Smith trade makes a lot of sense since both teams would want to go after said guys in the offseason anyway.

You're trading last years pick for Dwight? I guess that works lol.

Seriously though Lakers fans have to accept Dwight isn't getting shit back in a trade. Kind of like how Magic fans had to accept that. If the Lakers got that kind of package then I'd be impressed.

Personally I think the Dwight for Smith trade makes a lot of sense since both teams would want to go after said guys in the offseason anyway.

lakers wish they could get nikola vucevic and arron afflalo for dwight koufos

Flash

as shitty as Dwight has been playing I think they'll regret losing him.

He's still a top-tier talent, and has been the best defensive player in the league (not this year). They'll get shitty return if they get anything, and they won't be bad enough to get a high draft pick. (Can you imagine how insufferable Lakers-age would be if they go into tank mode?)

Kobe is a very difficult situation for them to handle. How do you throw him under a bus and trade him? Jim Buss would be hated and the Lakers would look like a shitty franchise. But he's so god damn difficult and he just doesn't fit with Dwight Howard. Most would choose Dwight over Kobe due to age, the positions they play, but it isn't that simple.

Dwight isn't going anywhere, the Lakers can still give him the most and their crazy contracts are done in a few years

BDPdGSZCMAA3cJU.jpg

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Dwight might leave man. He is a weak willed man and kobe isn't making working together the easiest thing to do... on top of the fact the Lakers suck and have dip'shitoni as a HC.

Going to the rockets isn't that bad of a thing those guys are young and seem like they would get along with his goofiness as well.

Flash

In this league its either max out an all-star/potential all star or pay an average guy 10 million per.

So why not

whoever pays Smith a max is gonna regret it. He might be worth it in some situations (Boston, San Antonio) but I am confident it will be a mistake for Milwaukee or Washington.

and while you could do that, another option is to be smart and patient. Granger would be better fit for Washington, he'll cost less, and he doesn't seem like the type that will stop trying once he gets a contract.

whoever pays Smith a max is gonna regret it. He might be worth it in some situations (Boston, San Antonio) but I am confident it will be a mistake for Milwaukee or Washington.

and while you could do that, another option is to be smart and patient. Granger would be better fit for Washington, he'll cost less, and he doesn't seem like the type that will stop trying once he gets a contract.

Smith won't stop trying either. He's always tried, he's just not great.
Agreed on Granger though.

otapnam

Anyone that thinks that dwight hasnt already peaked is kidding themselves.

If he hasnt gotten serious at this point in his career im not sure he ever wil

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Which team is going to be stupid enough to max out Josh Smith?

Hopefully my Bucks. Just read that Monta Ellis for Smith is one of the possible deals being tossed around.

My gosh that would be sweet. And the Bucks don't have to worry about the money as much as other teams because they aren't exactly the free agent dream location.

Please oh please.

As long as they convince Jennings to stay of course.

crpav

I think Dwight is just miserable around Kobe. Sounds like he had a good time elsewhere.
https://twitter.com/kidcapri101/status/303618440097300480

First off I am a Kobe fan but will agree he may be difficult to play with but I think it's because his love of the game and winning. He just handles it the wrong way sometimes when it comes to motivating teammates. If Howard came in wanting to win at all costs and coming out trying to get 30-15 a night then I think things would be different. He's getting paid to produce, play basketball to win, and not have fun like it's a charity game put on for some fund raiser. Howard shouldn't care what anyone thinks of him unless it's true which I kind of think it is. He needs to just come out and try and win no matter the cost. If he wants to have fun NBA2K13 is available for his favorite game console.

Top Bottom