• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Mar NBA Season lOT| Change This Face, Be Happy, Enjoy it!

What does it matter if we group eachother as 'Lakers fans' or 'Knicks fans'. Come on bro. It's not that serious.

Yeah, I know man.

It's a sore subject for me.

As a Black dude in corporate America, I get bullshit generalizations thrown at me all the time and people act surprised when I don't fit into their little box.

Fucking pisses me off.

Fox318

First they came for the Laker Fans, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Laker Fan.

Then they came for the Blazer Fans, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a hipster.

Then they came for the Buck Fans, and I didn't speak out because that's like 1 guy.

Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak for me.

KingGondo

Banned
Daily Thunder said:
@dailythunder: Eric Maynor's March (five games): 11.2 points, 5.8 assists, 1.8 rebounds, 61.1 FG%, 54.5 3P% in 24.8 minutes per game.
I knew he was playing well, but had no idea he was playing *that* well.

Hopefully he gets the contract he deserves. He could start for a ton of teams.

Nori Chan

Hey DR blade are you done shitting your brains and throwing up everything in your stomach?

good now go pre order gears and get ready

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I knew he was playing well, but had no idea he was playing *that* well.

Hopefully he gets the contract he deserves. He could start for a ton of teams.

What?

Dude has been hot trash this entire year except for a 5 game stretch and was mediocre even before he blew out his ACL. What teams could he start for?

KingGondo

Banned
What?

Dude has been hot trash this entire year except for a 5 game stretch and was mediocre even before he blew out his ACL. What teams could he start for?
First of all, he hardly played for OKC after the first 20 games of the season except in blowouts. He also said the knee brace hampered him a lot.

I'm not saying he's gonna keep up this pace, but it's reasonable to think he could end up playing at more or less the same level he was before the injury.

No. It isn't the same process.

People are born into their sex/race.

Being a fan of a team is a choice. And a choice that makes a statement. There is no statement being made when someone is born black/white/brown. Thats the difference.
His point rings true if you replace race or sex with party affiliation. Generalizing based on personal preference, neglecting every other attribute of a person, tends to dilute intellectual discourse. It's particularly pernicious in PoliGAF threads, the kneejerk responses of a lot of posters to anything remotely perceived as anti-Democrat. Even as a liberal, I find the pillorying and defamation of Republicans in a lot of political threads on GAF to be extremely disappointing.

I'm similarly disappointed by the level of discourse in NBAGAF, as a Lakers fan.

There's no other team out there that would max him?

I think after last year they would have when their imaginations could do the talking in saying that he didn't have the teammates to showcase his talents, but he's low on excuses this season playing with some A tier shooters in Beal/Webster and a solid finisher in Nene.

He'd probably get a Lawson/Curry type of deal. 4 years, 44 or 48 million, something like that. And that's mostly over potential, not over what he's actually accomplished on the court.

His scoring is just abysmal this season with his TS% being the worst its ever been. If he even had just a solid year offensively he'd be a 19, 9 , and 4 guy and then you could at least think about it...but he hasn't shown any tools to putting that together.

What are you even saying?

When you choose to be a fan of a team you are saying

"I support this organization and wish for its success"

Thats the definition of being a fan.

There is no comparable point of reference for race/gender.

When people criticize a fanbase as a collective, they mean to say they think that anyone who supports that team shares a particular quality. So for example, it can be said that Spurs fans are spoiled from success, or that Bobcats fans are masochists.

Similarly, people accuse Laker fans of frontrunning because they support the organization thats had everything handed to them. Whether you believe that to be true or not, its meant as a criticism of a collective, but not some nebulous group with no commonality: its a direct attack at what it means to support an organization like the Lakers, and since all Laker fans, by definition, fall into that subset, it is not unfair to generalize them as such.

His point rings true if you replace race or sex with party affiliation. Generalizing based on personal preference, neglecting every other attribute of a person, tends to dilute intellectual discourse. It's particularly pernicious in PoliGAF threads, the kneejerk responses of a lot of posters to anything remotely perceived as anti-Democrat. Even as a liberal, I find the pillorying and defamation of Republicans in a lot of political threads on GAF to be extremely disappointing.

I'm similarly disappointed by the level of discourse in NBAGAF, as a Lakers fan.

No it fucking doesn't.

If you're republican and have a stance on any issue, you should have to defend it. People generalizing that all Republicans believe or support X is dumb but its not racial prejudice dumb and it's not sexist dumb.

There are things that make you republican or democrat and they are all choices or beliefs. People are allowed to switch positions and even party affiliation.

Comparing fandom or party affiliation with race or sex is fucking stupid.

When you choose to be a fan of a team you are saying

"I support this organization and wish for its success"

Thats the definition of being a fan.

There is no comparable point of reference for race/gender.

When people criticize a fanbase as a collective, they mean to say they think that anyone who supports that team shares a particular quality. So for example, it can be said that Spurs fans are spoiled from success, or that Bobcats fans are masochists.

Similarly, people accuse Laker fans of frontrunning because they support the organization thats had everything handed to them.

What does anything of that have to do with my point?

Gremlin summed up my position eloquently.

See above.

Who the fuck cares if Laker fans are being generalized?

Seriously this isn't shit worth being upset or even annoyed by.

Laker fans get generalized. As do many other fans. Deal with it.

So I was playing the NBA 2k MyLife facebook game and Brandon Knight challenged me to a dunk contest. Is it wrong that I just bust out laughing

This quote proves you didn't read a single word I said.

Or didn't understand it.

Not once did I compare the above stated.

Not once.

In response to DY telling you to not be so sensitive about Laker fans being generalized:

You say that but when people make sweeping generalizations about races and sexes, that shit isn't cool either.

Every fan doesn't fit neatly into a fucking box.

That's a fucking dumb statement.

Woj@Yahoo

Jordan made a spectacular play. No one will soon forget it. So congratulations and all. Jordan has a $43 million contract and yet still doesn't have one offensive move, an ability to score outside the paint. Yes, he can leap, dunk on little guys. And somehow that makes him an achiever in the sport now. After this, perhaps even a folk hero.

For Brandon Knight, who had the guts to stand in there, there were prominent people writing that he had been raped and assaulted and killed on Sunday night in Los Angeles. Eight inches shorter and 80 pounds lighter, Knight understood the right thing is seldom ever the most popular. Brandon Knight didn't run and hide, didn't spare himself the humiliation.
The culture of this sport has never been so backward, never so twisted. Hell of a dunk out of DeAndre Jordan, but maybe the wrong player gets the ovation.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--basketball-s-backward-culture-makes-punch-line-of-brandon-knight-for-trying-to-stop-deandre-jordan-s-dunk-174058736.html
doin 2 much.

In response to DY telling you to not be so sensitive about Laker fans being generalized:

That's a fucking dumb statement.

As I have said over and over, the process of grouping is the same.

I have also clarified that the weight of the two is hardly equal.

But feel free to continue arguing a point I never explicitly made.

By all means.

jjasper

Wojo has been on a tear recently with terrible articles. People were having fun over a massive play. The tweets, including Knight's, were funny. Dude needs to get over himself.

As I have said over and over, the process of grouping is the same.

I have also clarified that the weight of the two is hardly equal.

But feel free to continue arguing a point I never explicitly made.

By all means.

I said early, your qualification of the statement points out how bullshit it is.

'sweeping generalizations aren't cool when applied to fan bases or sexes or races'

'though the weight isn't the same and really the only similarity is the process of grouping' then don't make the comparison because there barely is one, a bad one at that.

I said early, your qualification of the statement points out how bullshit it is.

'sweeping generalizations aren't cool when applied to fan bases or sexes or races'

'though the weight isn't the same and really the only similarity is the process of grouping' then don't make the comparison because there barely is one, a bad one at that.

The comparison for me has been and always will be the process.

I've made my point. People have responded.

This conversation is going in circles.

Best to end it at this point.

Jeff-DSA

Without Thrillsap, I don't even trust the Jazz to beat Detroit at home tonight. I don't think it matters though, the schedule from here until April is beyond brutal.

OKC, Memphis, Knicks, Houston, Spurs, Dallas, Sixers, Phoenix, Portland, Brooklyn. Two of those are home games that are coming off of a road back to back.

The comparison for me has been and always will be the process.

I've made my point. People have responded.

This conversation is going in circles.

Best to end it at this point.

I'm not even disagreeing about the process being the same.

Saying Knick fans overhype their players and saying women don't work as hard as men uses the same process. You could see how comparing them even with tons of qualifiers makes you sound crazy. Avoid it.

h3ro

Saying Knick fans overhype their players and saying women don't work as hard as men uses the same process. You could see how comparing them even with tons of qualifiers makes you sound crazy. Avoid it.

Once Frederic Weis gets his visa issues sorted, he's gonna come in and take his revenge on the remnants of vinsanity. Then you'll all see that Ed Tapscott had a plan all along.

dalVlatko

Kyrie out for 4 weeks?

Td9lYqg.jpg

shit is getting ridiculous

Of course he's going to say he's worth it. Hard to determine what the value of a player is in this league anymore...an 18 MPG guy like Javale getting 11 per for example.

Him getting max isn't really my concern right now anyway. I'm more concerned about us locking Okafor and Ariza into long term deals and this being our core of the future. That may not be the worst thing in the world if we land Shabazz and he plays like a first option, but any other scenario than that and we're staring at middling for the next half a decade.

There are a billion things to bash DeAndre over and people do so all the time. It was an entertaining play in an entertainment industry, what is wrong with WoJ?

I do agree with celebrating players who don't run away from getting dunked on though.

I'm worried that with all the attention he and the Pistons got yesterday, Brandon Knight might have the 7th good game of his career and beat the Jazz as the team sinks into the abyss :(

giri

Its ar this point id like to ask ryu to show me his papers. But I think Id get banned and there's too much sc2 to talk about to get banned. :'(

Jeff-DSA

Its ar this point id like to ask ryu to show me his papers. But I think Id get banned and there's too much sc2 to talk about to get banned. :'(

I once had a pretty long stay in Diamond league. Went a couple of months without playing and slipped to Gold. Was upset by how impossible it was to play against Zerg and stopped playing for a real long time. Slipped to Shameful Silver. I'll be back with HoTS, and I'm hoping to regain my previous form.

Jeff-DSA

Here's the best way that I can describe Frankman...he's the guy who looks up and gets pissed when someone randomly yells, "hey, asshole!" on a crowded street.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
MKG's been playing hurt

crash 2.0 confirmed
lakers age how does it feel

senior resident ryutaro dont wanna be with yall no more

what do you mean yal

he doesn't even get that by "not being like the rest" he's substantiating the fact that the group exists in his mind too
You say that but when people make sweeping generalizations about races and sexes, that shit isn't cool either.

Every fan doesn't fit neatly into a fucking box.

Again. The post I keep referring to.

For the record - this is what struck me as false equivalency at the top tier. Its bullshit bro. I'm telling you because I care.

giri

I once had a pretty long stay in Diamond league. Went a couple of months without playing and slipped to Gold. Was upset by how impossible it was to play against Zerg and stopped playing for a real long time. Slipped to Shameful Silver. I'll be back with HoTS, and I'm hoping to regain my previous form.

Sc2 is the first RTS i ever REALLY played. And i suck. Mainly cause i don't get anywhere near enough time to put in any real practice. I'll be around when playing hots, i think my sc2 name is giririsss

Not sure what my full realID is.

you should play me. And get a few free wins.

Top Bottom