• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Mar NBA Season lOT| Change This Face, Be Happy, Enjoy it!

With playoffs getting close who do you guys see winning it all. I think the Spurs will win their 5th title in the Duncan era.

Heat over Spurs in 7. Thunder have too much Kevin Martin to believe in them winning the West, Duncan's knees being 100% by the Finals is too questionable for me to think the Spurs will win the title though.

mgmDE.jpg

From realgm. So funny, but something about it is just so wrong too.

Oh man. Nailed it.

I seriously doubt that San Antonio makes the Finals. The moment they run into an athletic team they're finished. It's going to be just like the past three or four seasons for them--great in the regular season and disappointing in the playoffs. There is no way in hell they could beat Miami either way.

I seriously doubt that San Antonio makes the Finals. The moment they run into an athletic team they're finished. It's going to be just like the past three or four seasons for them--great in the regular season and disappointing in the playoffs. There is no way in hell they could beat Miami either way.

There are no athletic teams in the Western conference playoffs other than the Nuggets and Thunder (since Bledsoe and Jordan will be on the bench most of the time for the Clippers in the playoffs)

There are no athletic teams in the Western conference playoffs other than the Nuggets and Thunder (since Bledsoe and Jordan will be on the bench most of the time for the Clippers in the playoffs)

1. Okay, so nobody except for OKC, the one team they're pretty much guaranteed to have to beat.

2. Wait, what? LAC, the team whose offence revolves around the alley-oop isn't athletic?

I think the Nuggs will make it to the 2nd round this year at the very least, they're 12th in DRTG this season compared to the last couple years when they were in the 20s.

1. Okay, so nobody except for OKC, the one team they're pretty much guaranteed to have to beat.

2. Wait, what? LAC, the team whose offence revolves around the alley-oop isn't athletic?

CP3/Crawford/Barnes/Griffin/Odom will probably be the main lineup with Butler and Billups getting a lot of minutes as well. Other than Griffin, I don't think any of those players are considered good for their current levels of athleticism.

mgmDE.jpg

From realgm. So funny, but something about it is just so wrong too.

With playoffs getting close who do you guys see winning it all. I think the Spurs will win their 5th title in the Duncan era.

I'd say

Miami 85%
San Antonio 14%
Oklahoma City 1%

Our margin of error is too small for me to believe we have anything but an improbable chance. A lot has to go right: we have to be healthy, our role players have to keep their composure, we have to avoid getting jobbed by FThunder, and we have to somehow hope that Pop's coaching and our advantage in the frontline is enough to overcome a massive talent deficit v. Miami. It doesn't help that we won't have HCA over them either, and how we have to wear ourselves out comparatively while they essentially have a bye to the Finals.

I dont think the Nuggets or Clippers can beat the Spurs, we know what they look like in the half court and their defense isnt good enough to hide their ugly half court game.
For the Thunder, I dont think Scott Brooks bad coaching will get them past SA either, Ill take Duncan/Parker/Splitter/Leonard/Ginobili over Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka/Martin all day, even if KD plays better than three of those Spurs guys combined. If James Harden was around still, I think OKC would do what it did last year, but he isnt, and OKC's four best players wont overwhelm SA's best players in a 7 game series.

Memphis can beat SA tho, they have the half court game and composure to grind out wins.

I'd say

Miami 85%
San Antonio 14%
Oklahoma City 1%

Our margin of error is too small for me to believe we have anything but an improbable chance. A lot has to go right: we have to be healthy, our role players have to keep their composure, we have to avoid getting jobbed by FThunder, and we have to somehow hope that Pop's coaching and our advantage in the frontline is enough to overcome a massive talent deficit v. Miami. It doesn't help that we won't have HCA over them either, and how we have to wear ourselves out comparatively while they essentially have a bye to the Finals.

I like the Spurs over the Thunder. I just think the coaching difference and the loss of Harden is too much of an advantage for San Antonio. Also Martin doesn't have playoff experience IIRC.

The Heat? Can't bet against them, sorry.

Waiters has been better than Beal. I don't think Beal will be anything special in the long run.

nah

I can't remember the last season I thought there were only 2 teams with a legitimate chance to win it all. And even if we're being generous and including OKC, 3 is still a really low number. Its usually between 5-7 "contenders"

Meh. Pat Riley broke the game.

Miami does seem impossible for any team to beat 4 times. even their one weakness with interior D and rebounding seems like it got mitigated by the Birdman.
whoever matches up with them has to have the personnel to shut down Wade, Bosh and defend against their three point shooters.

I can't remember the last season I thought there were only 2 teams with a legitimate chance to win it all. And even if we're being generous and including OKC, 3 is still a really low number. Its usually between 5-7 "contenders"

The bolded is definitely true, especially since they pulled their shit before the new CBA + state tax tricks.

Salary cap restrictions make it almost impossible to keep enough talent together to challenge the Heats roster.

Luckily we may see an end to the Heat lizard once the CBA 2014 destruction shows its face.

The thing about the Heat is that Chalmers has turned into a legitimately good player and their bench is playing fantastic. I really can't imagine anyone beating them if they have home court advantage.

Canuck76

Banned
It would take a lot to trade Kanter.

20 years old and extremely skilled.

I love Lillard but if Kanter was on the table for a lillard/kanter swap i would have a hard think about that.

It would probably end up hurting both teams and i wouldn't do it, doubt blazers management would, but i would give a lot to get Kanter.

The thing about the Heat is that Chalmers has turned into a legitimately good player and their bench is playing fantastic. I really can't imagine anyone beating them if they have home court advantage.

Thats the biggest problem actually

You'd think with 3 of the absolute best players in the game, they'd at least have a mediocre supporting cast.

But no, they have proven playoff performers, guys who specialize in vital roles (Ray - shooting, Battier- perimeter defense, Birdman - shot blocking, etc), and dependable veteran leadership.

They also have a gimmick with their small ball lineup that almost no team can contend with.

I love Lillard but if Kanter was on the table for a lillard/kanter swap i would have a hard think about that.

...? No.

No. No way.

And I like Kanter too.

It would probably end up hurting both teams and i wouldn't do it, doubt blazers management would, but i would give a lot to get Kanter.

lmao

Jazz do that and don't even blink before saying yes. It would solve so many problems for them.

I am almost to the point of wanting to sign Kwame in the offseason because our bigs are that bad. I miss Okafor for god sake. Utah is in heaven compared to us.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

u cray

Heat gonna repeat but if god mode Battier and lol Ray don't show up in the playoffs then it will be harder

Miami won't sweep anyone though, someone always wins at least 1 game.

Vahagn

I said those exact words just a few days ago man!

reilo

Has a team ever had like 5 rotation guys that shoot 40% from 3?

Chalmers, Bron, Ray, Battier, Shard.

And Miller is a career 40% guy.

Mavericks during the Dirk, Nash, Finley, Van Exel and LaFrentz days?

Has a team ever had like 5 rotation guys that shoot 40% from 3?

Chalmers, Bron, Ray, Battier, Shard.

And Miller is a career 40% guy.

Not 5 but the 2010 Suns over 40%: Dudley (46%), Frye (44%), Hill (44%), Nash (43%)

Also:

Dragic (39.4%), Richardson (39.3%)

That was a fucking good 3 point shooting team (Hill only shot 1 a game, though)

edit: 41.2% as a team

reilo

If YNB wasn't YNBitchmade, OKC would be up there as well:

Durant: 41.5%, Martin: 42.6%, Sefolosha: 41.9%, Fisher: 44.4%

Warriors...

Curry: 45.5%, Klay: 39.2%, Jack: 40.8%

If YNB wasn't YNBitchmade, OKC would be up there as well:

Durant: 41.5%, Martin: 42.6%, Sefolosha: 41.9%, Fisher: 44.4%

Warriors...

Curry: 45.5%, Klay: 39.2%, Jack: 40.8%

I wouldn't count Fisher with such a small sample. I could have thrown in Clark at 40% with the Suns, too!

Here are the only teams above 40% http://www.basketball-reference.com...al=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=fg3_pct

Who knew the Hornets were #1?

Rice, Curry, Bogues, Delk, Goldwire, Pierce over 40%.

reilo

I wouldn't count Fisher with such a small sample. I could have thrown in Clark at 40% with the Suns, too!

Here are the only teams above 40% http://www.basketball-reference.com...al=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=fg3_pct

Who knew the Hornets were #1?

Rice, Curry, Bogues, Delk, Goldwire, Pierce over 40%.

Fisher can be counted on to be a 40 3PT% shooter though. And he's always attempted a non-trivial number of threes over his career.

Rockets are borderline...

Harden: 37.1%, Parsons: 39.3%, Delfino: 39.1%, Morris: 38.1%, Douglas: 37.7%, Garcia: 37.5%, Beverly: 40.7%

Man, that team chucks threes lol. Rockets are #1 in 3PTA.

How did we forget about the Kings from the '00s?

Vahagn

The more I think about it, the more I conclude that Healthy SA team could beat Miami in the Finals. If SA somehow gets HCA I give them a 55/45 chance. If they don't have HCA, I give them a 30/70 chance. No other team right now has more than a 20% chance to beat Miami but I think SA can do it.

I have faith that Pop can draw up some defensive schemes to completely take one of the big 3 out of the game (my guess is he goes after Wade), stay home on shooters, and make Lebron/Bosh have to combine for 65+ every game to win.

Fisher can be counted on to be a 40 3PT% shooter though. And he's always attempted a non-trivial number of threes over his career.

Rockets are borderline...

Harden: 37.1%, Parsons: 39.3%, Delfino: 39.1%, Morris: 38.1%, Douglas: 37.7%, Garcia: 37.5%, Beverly: 40.7%

Man, that team chucks threes lol. Rockets are #1 in 3PTA.

How did we forget about the Kings from the '00s?

3s, FTs, and shots in the paint. Morey built it based on advanced metrics, offensively. Take the best shots only (3s and in the paint) and get fouled.

houston is 3rd in shots in the paint, 5th in FT rate, and 2nd in 3PA and deal last in the league in long 2 point attempts.

I'm fairly convinced he is doing an experiment. A so far they're top 5 on offense, so it's working. Too bad they can't play D outside of Asik.

The more I think about it, the more I conclude that Healthy SA team could beat Miami in the Finals. If SA somehow gets HCA I give them a 55/45 chance. If they don't have HCA, I give them a 30/70 chance. No other team right now has more than a 20% chance to beat Miami but I think SA can do it.

I have faith that Pop can draw up some defensive schemes to completely take one of the big 3 out of the game (my guess is he goes after Wade), stay home on shooters, and make Lebron/Bosh have to combine for 65+ every game to win.

Couldn't beat the Thunder last year and Miami is better than last year. What makes you think the Spurs and Pop (who couldn't game out any of the big 3 in OKC) will do it versus Miami? Miami's offense is too much for Spurs. Ain't happening.

Kevin Martin.

?

I'm not saying Spurs can't beat OKC now, I'm saying the Spurs were the same team last year and couldn't beat OKC, a team that lost to Miami. Miami is better this year and so if Spurs couldn't beat last year's OKC what should make me believe they would beat this year's Miami (a better team than last year)?

The problems SAS had against Thunder last year are the same versus Heat. No one to defend Durant (Lebron) or Harden (Wade) and much less athleticism and speed.

edit: I think Spurs could beat OKC this year because of Martin. Not talking about OKC this year.

giri

?

I'm not saying Spurs can't beat OKC now, I'm saying the Spurs were the same team last year and couldn't beat OKC, a team that lost to Miami. Miami is better this year and so if Spurs couldn't beat last year's OKC what should make me believe they would beat this year's Miami (a better team than last year)?

The problems SAS had against Thunder last year are the same versus Heat. No one to defend Durant (Lebron) or Harden (Wade) and much less athleticism and speed.

edit: I think Spurs could beat OKC this year because of Martin. Not talking about OKC this year.

You know basketball doesn't work that way because of how different match ups are.

Top Bottom