• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Mar NBA Season lOT| Change This Face, Be Happy, Enjoy it!

Vahagn

This, is amazing:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id...ors-sportvu-cameras-nba-analytical-revolution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5Sq_Z6Um3UM

gl_rapskts_576.jpg

So the clear circles are what the players should have done on defense? Those things were moving around at light speed. Even if Toronto had the talent to pull that off, which they don't, only Miami does. This isn't A video game, those players would break down midway through the season if they played at that frenetic pace on every defensive possession. That's just crazy amounts of movement.

Edit: I don't agree that teams should shoot way more threes, but I do agree that bad players should be made mediocre. I can't confirm this, maybe Spurs-Gaf can help, but it seems to me like Pop makes all his perimeter players improve their 3 point shot. Can't be an accident, it's probably something he asks for. "I want you shooting 500 threes after practice every day until you're making 90% of them in practice and at least a third of them during the game" kind of thing doesn't seem so far fetched.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Miami's next 4 are against bad teams before they play the Bulls. If they win the next 4 they would be at 27 in a row. Somehow I think they lose one of the next 4. Let down games after this big win over Boston last night.

Who else would be interested in signing Bynum besides the Sixers? If they offer him anything for than a 1-2 year deal they would be fools.

is bynum still asking for a max contract?

fertygo

For those of you not from the US, how did you get into the NBA and do you root for other sports?

Curious as to how one becomes a fan with no local team.

Canadians need not apply. :p

I'm not fan of any team, I just watch the game that make me interested the most at game day. Bandwagon for my favorite player teams at daily basis though =p.

Jazz age is the perfect definition of an internet troll who constantly rates a girl clearly out of his league, 1 out of 10.

The only "star" players I troll are Rondo, Melo, Gay, Monta, and Kobe and I think Kobe is actually great and just overrated by the media and his insane Stans. I think LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Paul George, David West, Chandler, Bropez, Josh Smith, Deng, Noah, KG, Larry Sanders, Irving, Duncan, Parker, Manu, Durant, YNB, CP3, Griffin, M Gasol, Mike Conley, Iggy, Curry, Bogut, Harden, Asik, Dwight, Nash, Dirk, LMA, and many, many more players are terrific and I love to have any of them on the Jazz even though a lot of them will clearly never play in Utah. I troll Rondo more than I praise a lot of players I like, but that's because he comes up more.

kinda OT but IWMTB do you know much of anything about TJ Haws/Nick Emery/Eric Mika?

TJ is the next white chocolate, right?

I have no idea about any of those players, I'm sorry.

So the clear circles are what the players should have done on defense? Those things were moving around at light speed. Even if Toronto had the talent to pull that off, which they don't, only Miami does. This isn't A video game, those players would break down midway through the season if they played at that frenetic pace on every defensive possession. That's just crazy amounts of movement.

Edit: I don't agree that teams should shoot way more threes, but I do agree that bad players should be made mediocre. I can't confirm this, maybe Spurs-Gaf can help, but it seems to me like Pop makes all his perimeter players improve their 3 point shot. Can't be an accident, it's probably something he asks for. "I want you shooting 500 threes after practice every day until you're making 90% of them in practice and at least a third of them during the game" kind of thing doesn't seem so far fetched.

Pop makes the perimeter players work on shooting corner 3's, which is the most efficient 3 point shot. He also makes sure RC Buford only signs players that fit into the Spurs system and are willing to work on on weaknesses to begin with. You can't make players better if they are dumb and/or don't want to get better. He'll give you burn, but if you can't fit into the offense and defense after a while, you go to the bench (Bonner)

Emwitus

The only "star" players I troll are Rondo, Melo, Gay, Monta, and Kobe and I think Kobe is actually great and just overrated by the media and his insane Stans. I think LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Paul George, David West, Chandler, Bropez, Josh Smith, Deng, Noah, KG, Larry Sanders, Irving, Duncan, Parker, Manu, Durant, YNB, CP3, Griffin, M Gasol, Mike Conley, Iggy, Curry, Bogut, Harden, Asik, Dwight, Nash, Dirk, LMA, and many, many more players are terrific and I love to have any of them on the Jazz even though getting a lot of them will clearly never play in Utah. I troll Rondo more than I praise a lot of players I like, but that's because he comes up more.

I have no idea about any of those players, I'm sorry.

lol. It's okay. I troll kobe as hard as anyone on this board. I just have never understood why rondo is such a thorn in the side to most of nbagaf. From your list of troll targets, I can see we both despise chuckers...nice.

Speaking of chuckers who would you guys put on your all-time worst list of inefficient scorers? I nominate Stackhouse. He's probably the worst player to ever average 30 points for a season.

Speaking of chuckers who would you guys put on your all-time worst list of inefficient scorers? I nominate Stackhouse. He's probably the worst player to ever average 30 points for a season.

Kevin Martin

edit: oh you said inefficient

eh Kevin Martin's efficiency was total fools gold anyway

A guy explodes for 40+ points on extremely efficient shooting. The rest of the team shoots nearly 50% from three point land. Their field goal percentage was overall higher than the Heat. They still lose. It's crazy.

Every team is dealing with that issue, not just the Lakers. Are the Mavs with an aging Dirk in any better position? More importantly, Dwifht ain't turning down that extra $20 million the Lakers can offer. At this point I'm not sweating it if he leaves, but I'd like to keep him around. He's clearly not a franchise big in the vein of Shaq, but if worst case he is a younger rich man's Tyson Chandler, that's still a nice building block to keep around for a 2014/15 rebuild.

Yes, the Mavs are in a better position to sign Dwight. Dwight Howard will succeed if he's made the centerpiece of the offense. Surround him with shooters and slashers and force feed him the ball. SVG knew that. The Lakers evidently don't. The general feeling I get is that Kobe and Dwight do not like one another and Kobe will NOT relinquish his role as the primary player for as long as he is playing. Dirk would gladly take a backseat and become the number two option on that team. The Mavs have a bunch of players on one year contracts and they're going to load up next year. I would prefer that over a team that is extremely old and where half the roster is getting grossly overpaid. Dirk has also hinted that he'll take another paycut to get better players on the team. I can't imagine too many other players doing that, especially the ones that play for the Lakers.

Frank Isola @FisolaNYDN about 55 minutes ago
Breaking: An MRI reveals Kurt Thomas has a stress reaction/stress fracture of his right foot, a person close to Thomas tells the Daily News.

Kurt Thomas has an "acute stress reaction surrounding a chronic stress fracture" in his right foot. Out 2-4 weeks, Knicks say.

Injury will likely end Kurt Thomas' season & perhaps his career. Something tells me he'll want to be NBA's oldest player next year as well
Played his best game of the year on a broken foot.

Except the lakers can offer $25-30 mil more and Los Angeles. That is a pretty big advantage.

He'll sign with LA for the money, but he'll be traded away within two to three years because of feuding with Kobe. There's no way in hell that team will be a top tier team in the West and there's no way Kobe and Dwight can coexist. I have no idea why Lakers fans want him. I'm a Dallas fan and I want no part of him or a big contract. His back will never be the same and he is an immature fool.

J2 Cool

It's a shame that most 260 plus big men can't stay healthy anymore. Oden, Bynum, Bogut, Chandler, Yao, etc; the list is pretty damn long. Hell even Dwight and Drummond (as young as he is) are battling injuries. It's insane that we've gone as long as we have without seeing a consistently healthy, dominant big but at this point I'd say it makes more sense to expect bigs to have short careers. Long, lean guys like Horford, Aldridge, Noah, and Bosh are where the league is heading.

It's where the league's arrived. As long ago as Oden, people were still expecting this dominant center to pop up and bully people physically. Shaq's prime through 2nd year with the Heat are the last time we saw that. I've developed a fear of guy's too big injuring themselves. I think someone like Asik is as big as you can get, and he's not what I'd call a great great athlete. I wonder what a Ewing or Hakeem would do in this league honestly.

It's where the league's arrived. As long ago as Oden, people were still expecting this dominant center to pop up and bully people physically. Shaq's prime through 2nd year with the Heat are the last time we saw that. I've developed a fear of guy's too big injuring themselves. I think someone like Asik is as big as you can get, and he's not what I'd call a great great athlete. I wonder what a Ewing or Hakeem would do in this league honestly.

Hakeem would have still been great, Ewing on the otherhand would have struggled to stay healthy.

He'll sign with LA for the money, but he'll be traded away within two to three years because of feuding with Kobe. There's no way in hell that team will be a top tier team in the West and there's no way Kobe and Dwight can coexist. I have no idea why Lakers fans want him. I'm a Dallas fan and I want no part of him or a big contract. His back will never be the same and he is an immature fool.

lol. Kobe and Dwight are fine and will continue to be fine.

People just want to believe they are feuding out of pure hate.

And Howard's back has gotten better every month. He wasn't even suppose to start working out and getting into playing shape until January for an injury that typically takes a year to recover from. That he was playing so early was a testament to his crazy genetics or HGH, his sloppy play early isn't really any indication of his future health. That should be clear to everyone at this point.

Dwight played his best ball in November when he averaged 17/10/3 on 60% shooting that month, if anything he's gotten progressively worse as the season has gone on

?

Chandler is fine. Hes only had one real "injured" season, but hes been good almost every year. Yao would have been OK too if he didn't play so much international ball. His career lasted surprisingly long considering that.

Oden and Bynum sure, but I don't see how they're any different than Brandon Roy or Tracy McGrady; guards who broke down. We just had Rondo, Rubio, and Rose have major injuries too, but they're not big men.

I think its easy to point to big men, but tbh I think its mostly just isolated instances, and not something I'd attribute to a mark of the times. I don't see anything different with the NBA of 2013 that'd make big guys get injured more often than if they were in the 90s or whatever.

No one can stand playing with Kobe. He has no friends. If you want to believe that he is a great teammate and a wonderful guy then continue believing that. This is a guy that has been publicly calling out Dwight like a douche the entire time he has been there, has pouted in the media and demanded a trade, and threw an entire team under the bus because his front office didn't gift him an all star or two for a whole season. Dwight's personality is the exact opposite of Kobe's and if the Lakers have another season like they did this year they're going to hate playing with one another.

effzee

is bynum still asking for a max contract?

I'm not sure if he has but I'll assume yes that he does want a max contract. Don't think any team will offer that though so he might have to settle with signing with and trolling the Sixers.

LOL just read LBJ's comments about his dunk over Terry.

No one can stand playing with Kobe. He has no friends. If you want to believe that he is a great teammate and a wonderful guy then continue believing that. This is a guy that has been publicly calling out Dwight like a douche the entire time he has been there, has pouted in the media and demanded a trade, and threw an entire team under the bus because his front office didn't gift him an all star or two for a whole season. Dwight's personality is the exact opposite of Kobe's and if the Lakers have another season like they did this year they're going to hate playing with one another.

Kobe called out Dwight? lol.

And Dwight did what Kobe did in demanding a trade and threw his team under the bus. Where the fuck were you?

I don't think Kobe is a "great teammate" like a lot of other guys, no. But he has friends, Ariza and Butler and Odom and fisher and Blake and Pau. Look how much Kobe goes to bat for Pau alone. And apparently people on the Olympic teams have loved him; him and melo are very good friends and talk all the time. To say everyone hates him just shows how much hate you have.

Kobe and Dwight are just fine. If there's a problem Dwight is having with anyone in that locker room, it's the coach.

Maybe you're still salty Kidd threw Dallas under the bus when he left.

Top Bottom