• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Finals |OT| The "Big 3" looks to hang another banner... against the Heat

i love how the NBA has started dusting off that Kobe commercial heavily over the last 2 games of the series instead of all the Lebron ones basically now trying to say "hey the NBA isnt just this guy who never comes up big, remember this other guy who actually won a bunch of rings, he still plays in the NBA too!"

its too bad 2K14 already announced its cover, cause now they have to market a bunch of pre-rendered CGI events of 2k Lebron actually scoring and dunking over players and "winning" in a game thats supposed to be mimicking the real NBA in which hes had some of the worst gamescores (PER) during this series with a 17 and a 10 and im sure tonights wont be much better. and both of those games had "triple doubles" which just proves how dated that is, just like the MLB's "triple crown" that kept Trout from winning the much deserved MVP in baseball last year

2K never had issues waiting till the finals was over in the past but just like Nike in 2009 running those Lebron/Kobe puppets all during the playoffs assuming they would eventually meet in the finals, Nike was left with egg on their face having to keep airing them while Kobe was basically sweeping the Magic in the finals, since then and till this 2K14 thing no one else has even attempted to go "all in" on Lebron with their marketing

im waiting for people to wake up and realise the Heat are nothing more than an over glorified mid-00 Pistons and late 00 Celtics, both those teams had current allstars and future HOFers and went to multiple Finals in a short period of time and finished with only 1 ring each

meanwhile the Lakers and Spurs(most likely by tue/thursday) will of won 5 rings during that same period of time and far less hype, especially during the Lakers last 3 straight finals run, you had Lebron and the Cavs being hyped up all 3 years. there was no "Lakers Index" on the front of espn's website, and i bet as soon as Lebron skips outta town next year still with just 1 ring and tied for the most games lost in NBA finals history there wont be any more "Heat Index" either.

Lakers not hyped up? Seriously....

Doomsayer

i love how the NBA has started dusting off that Kobe commercial heavily over the last 2 games of the series instead of all the Lebron ones basically now trying to say "hey the NBA isnt just this guy who never comes up big, remember this other guy who actually won a bunch of rings, he still plays in the NBA too!"

its too bad 2K14 already announced its cover, cause now they have to market a bunch of pre-rendered CGI events of 2k Lebron actually scoring and dunking over players and "winning" in a game thats supposed to be mimicking the real NBA in which hes had some of the worst gamescores (PER) during this series with a 17 and a 10 and im sure tonights wont be much better. and both of those games had "triple doubles" which just proves how dated that is, just like the MLB's "triple crown" that kept Trout from winning the much deserved MVP in baseball last year

2K never had issues waiting till the finals was over in the past but just like Nike in 2009 running those Lebron/Kobe puppets all during the playoffs assuming they would eventually meet in the finals, Nike was left with egg on their face having to keep airing them while Kobe was basically sweeping the Magic in the finals, since then and till this 2K14 thing no one else has even attempted to go "all in" on Lebron with their marketing

im waiting for people to wake up and realise the Heat are nothing more than an over glorified mid-00 Pistons and late 00 Celtics, both those teams had current allstars and future HOFers and went to multiple Finals in a short period of time and finished with only 1 ring each

meanwhile the Lakers and Spurs(most likely by tue/thursday) will of won 5 rings during that same period of time and far less hype, especially during the Lakers last 3 straight finals run, you had Lebron and the Cavs being hyped up all 3 years. there was no "Lakers Index" on the front of espn's website, and i bet as soon as Lebron skips outta town next year still with just 1 ring and tied for the most games lost in NBA finals history there wont be any more "Heat Index" either.

What the fuck am I reading?

ib2uerWWJp7En8.gif

Emwitus

'

Fjordson

I didn't think of Lebron on the 2K14 cover. Will be funny to see that if SA wins. Hopefully 2K offers an alternate Danny Green version.

I'm kinda hyped for that shit though. Probably on PS4. The trailer looked great.

rando14

I didn't think of Lebron on the 2K14 cover. Will be funny to see that if SA wins. Hopefully 2K offers an alternate Danny Green version.

I'm kinda hyped for that shit though. Probably on PS4. The trailer looked great.

Maybe Danny green can be on the cover of Nba Live

exarkun

Its his second year in the league, against the best point guard in the league. Parker does what he does against every team in the league. Chalmers is what he his at this point. There is no coach in this league that can make chalmers feel worse than he thinks he is, which is his whole problem. Blaming player development and pointing to players who arent even lottery status is pretty stupid.

It is loss time though so, crazy theories keep em coming...

I mean man, kahwi's only been in the league for a few years, chandler parsons has only been in the league for a few years. Shit, Bledsoe has shown more growth over that period of time.

I'm just saying the heat haven't done anything to make their role players and their sole(?) decent draft pick any better. His problem isn't that hes going against TP, its that during the regular season they were waffling between him and Chalmers and it shows now. They should have shown faith, developed him, and let him get regular minutes. Now, the heat have no pg.

Into

Heat aint gonna get a better game out of Allen than they got last night, they better hope to get a better game out of Chalmers, or someone else. As Lebron and Wade are not going to do it alone.

It was sort of fitting in this series that the player that was most missing (Manu) suddenly showed up. It also sucks for Heat, that finally Wade is playing well and the rest of the team (bar Allen and to lesser extent Bronski) just looks like they do not care anymore, odd to say about a team in the finals.

"Report: Clippers target Danny Granger in trade talks involving Eric Bledsoe"

Go for it Indy, they do not need Granger, Bledsoe would add more to that team

charsace

overall sure, but Danny Green! And Spurs shot 70% from 2 tonight.

I thought Lebron got over the mental hurdles. Come on, we're all pretty baffled about Bron's performance so far.

I don't understand how Diaw is defending him...

I had them as a top 2 team out West! I actually argued they could beat healthy OKC!

I'm sure you were one of the people that said I was crazy for saying the Spurs would beat heat.

Heat aint gonna get a better game out of Allen than they got last night, they better hope to get a better game out of Chalmers, or someone else.

Allen is shooting nearly 65% from three this series, he's been giving Miami more than anyone could reasonably expect on offense. 13 ppg on 84TS%. He's been Danny Green with less shots.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

2K's cover has gotten the champion right only twice: Shaq and Kobe for 2k6 and 2k10. Hell, 2K13 had DRose on the cover and he didn't even play this season. They've never been accurate at highlighting the recent/upcoming winner nor have they attempted to.

If you want awkwardly humorous NBA marketing just look at that Durant/Wade gatorade ad that is still airing during the Finals.

What in the world?

THRILLH0

Banned
It's becoming clear that Lebron's 2012 was Arod's 2009. An anomaly.

Sure he doesn't disappear for entire postseasons like Arod but there's a growing body of evidence to show that he just seizes up when the stakes are highest.

Shame...

Miami might be fucked. They're probably going to be laser focused on Green which will free up Manu, Neal, and Parker.

When has Spo ever made defensive adjustments? They are going to do the same thing they've done for years on defense. They'll blitz every pick and roll and swarm the ball handlers, and those open threes will still be there.

It's becoming clear that Lebron's 2011 was Arod's 2009. An anomaly.

Sure he doesn't disappear for entire postseasons like Arod but there's a growing body of evidence to show that he just seizes up when the stakes are highest.

Shame...

Im pretty sure anomaly is the wrong word if you're trying to say what I think you are. Idiots.

Miami might be fucked. They're probably going to be laser focused on Green which will free up Manu, Neal, and Parker.

Why would we focus on green when both Manu and TP hurt us more? Their won't be strategy changes. the only thing that changes is effort.

You guard the veteran all-star before the random scrub shooter everytime. Manu was able to directly generate at least 40 points of offense just him self. We can't just ignore him anymore.

You guard the veteran all-star before the random scrub shooter everytime. Manu was able to directly generate at least 40 points of offense just him self. We can't just ignore him anymore.

Even if it means giving up open shots to the guy scoring 18 ppg on 81% TS? Green's scoring efficiency is beyond the pale, any strategy that involves giving him those looks is flawed at this point.

MIA's blitzing of the pnR bothers Parker, so Pop let him run more isos against Norris Cole...and Tony shat in his mouth.

Wheres Pimpwerx at...his boi Norris was 'posed to be able to lock Tony up.

Vestal

How much longer can the Heat go without a center?

Not having a true center is not what fucked us this game, or this series. Lack of giving a fuck on defense last night for anyone not named LBJ, Wade, Allen(can't believe I said Allen) killed us.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
It's becoming clear that Lebron's 2011 was Arod's 2009. An anomaly.

Shame...

I would love to see it..

LuchaShaq

Banned
MIA's blitzing of the pnR bothers Parker, so Pop let him run more isos against Norris Cole...and Tony shat in his mouth.

Wheres Pimpwerx at...his boi Norris was 'posed to be able to lock Tony up.

Hey man Norris and Mario getting worked is totally Lebron's fault.

What a choker amirite rite?

In all seriousness,

was great to see manu be manu basically the first time all playoffs.

Hope this goes 7 because it has been great fun to watch.

Into

Say Miami does not win the 'ship, do they entertain the idea of trading Bosh? Is losing 2 finals and winning 1 good enough proof that the Big 3 is working or?

His numbers have gone down since his Raptors days, he is playing on a much better team than the Raptors, he should be getting more open shots than ever before. He is just 1 year older than LeBron and is already seeing decline in his game. Just because he is the same age as LeBron and is getting paid the same as him, does not mean you can expect him to play like the best player in the league, but for his contract, his age and the team he is in, he is punching far below his weight.

PBY

Banned
Say Miami does not win the 'ship, do they entertain the idea of trading Bosh? Is losing 2 finals and winning 1 good enough proof that the Big 3 is working or?

His numbers have gone down since his Raptors days, he is playing on a much better team than the Raptors, he should be getting more open shots than ever before. He is just 1 year older than LeBron and is already seeing decline in his game.

Bosh is critical to this team.

Vahagn

Oh Shadowlark

Since you apparently don't read your own posts, what you said was, "Lebron doesn't fear Duncan" implying that he's going to attack the rim with more aggressiveness than he did against Indy. You were wrong. He hasn't attacked Duncan at all. FG% being 2% higher isnt "significantly" higher either, and it's overall...not in the paint. And it's skewed heavily due to transition buckets which Spurs allow but Indiana doesn't.

You counting transition fast break buckets at the rim as a way to indicate whether Duncan is protecting the paint as well as Hibbert is just laughable. Shows just how far you're willing to bend and manipulate shit that you, and other people, say just so you can pretend the shit you post isn't laughably wrong against all the evidence. Lebron attacked the rim in game 3 and attacked the rim in the third quarter of game 5 against Indy when Hibbert was in, more than he's attacked Duncan all series.

And yes, for the love of God, games 1-3 and even 5 are similar to 2011. It's sad that you think getting a few more APG or RPG makes it completely different because when you're as great as Lebron there is showing up and dominating in the Finals, and there is horribly horribly underperforming in the Finals. It's sad that Lebron underperforms so damn often you're categorizing his horrible performances differently based on minutiae.

"Games 1-3 aren't like 2011 at all. His APG are up"

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

His numbers have gone down since his Raptors days, he is playing on a much better team than the Raptors, he should be getting more open shots than ever before. He is just 1 year older than LeBron and is already seeing decline in his game. Just because he is the same age as LeBron and is getting paid the same as him, does not mean you can expect him to play like the best player in the league, but for his contract, his age and the team he is in, he is punching far below his weight.

If they lose ....All I know is the bobcats offered the Heat at least their number 4 pick for Bosh and the rumors were substantial enough Bosh gave a statement saying he wants to retire in Miami..... if the Heat are smart you try to get another first round pick (or a young prospect) from the Bobcats and you do that deal. This CBA is brutal for teams built like the Heat and they are looking like the celtics/pistons championship teams right now.

LuchaShaq

Banned

No.

There is no even semi realistic trade where Miami loses Bosh and gets better.

His willingness to give up shots to LBJ/Wade
His insanely underrated pick and roll defense
His great rotations especially closing out on shooters
Stretching out the defense to the point he had one of the best midrange shooting seasons by any player EVER. Name me a team who will give up an all star big plus multiple other assets?

You can't name me a PF in the entire league that would fit this roster better.

It's like you people didn't watch last years playoffs, or any of the past two regular seasons.

No.

There is no even semi realistic trade where Miami loses Bosh and gets better.

His willingness to give up shots to LBJ/Wade
His insanely underrated pick and roll defense
His great rotations especially closing out on shooters
Stretching out the defense to the point he had one of the best midrange shooting seasons by any player EVER.

You can't name me a PF in the entire league that would fit this roster better.

If they are playing him at center, there is a host of players that would make Miami better. But they aren't likely to get any of them via trade.

LuchaShaq

Banned
If they are playing him at center, there is a host of players that would make Miami better. But they aren't likely to get any of them via trade.

Sure while I can't think of a single pf who would fit better center is a tiny bit more competitive.

Dwight would make them a much worse team offensively, and unless his back was 100% his defensive impact would be minimal due to his piss poor pick and roll D, not to mention he is the most bitchmade player in the past 30 years of the NBA.

Tyson Chandler/Hibbert/Asik/Andre Drummond? All would cripple their offense.

Noah? Would be defensive improvement, offensively his lack of a jumper might be able to be made up by his passing.

Pau? Too old and slow on D, his post ups on Offense wouldn't work in the flow of Miami's offense.

Boogie Cousins? Could be interesting...I wonder how much his defense would improve with a team culture that demands it.

Marc Gasol (Memphis wouldn't do it) could actually be an upgrade on both sides of the ball.

If Garnett was 2006-2008 Garnett? SURE! 2013 KG? Not an upgrade

Anthony Davis? Maybe in 2-3 years when he has a more complete game.

Trading bosh for a mediocre center and spare parts would be the worst idea Pat Riley has had in his life.

This team was in the finals 3 years in a row for a reason, if anything Wade should be the one kicked out the door but they probably wouldn't get jack shit for him.

Vag are you slow? I say that im not just talking lebron, linsivvi digs up my post with my clearly layed out claim/challenge, with no mention of lebron and yet you come again with a whole soliloquy about lebron, which in itself is half wrong.

What is it with your manic fascination with single players? Either retort my claim with facts or don't respond.

Vahagn

Vag are you slow? I say that im not just talking lebron, linsivvi digs up my post with my clearly layed out claim/challenge, with no mention of lebron and yet you come again with a whole soliloquy about lebron, which in itself is half wrong.

What is it with your manic fascination with single players? Either retort my claim with facts or don't respond.

iamshadowlark said:
And again, Duncan is a great defender but he ain't 7'2. He doesn't have a 7'4 reach. He ain't 280lbs. What he is, is 6'11 and 37 years old. To say that lebron would fear Duncan more than hibbert is fucking stupid.

You done lost your damn mind

Like I said..."you apparently don't read your own posts". That shoulda been a dead giveaway for you to go back and read what you originally said.

Ffs dude, I even quoted your own words for you in my response

Vahagn said:
Since you apparently don't read your own posts, what you said was, "Lebron doesn't fear Duncan"

Quoted from Wiz board at realgm said:
How SA was built:

Tim Duncan - 1st overall in 1997.
Tony Parker - Last pick of the first round in 2001, everyone passed on him but SA.
Manu Ginobli - Second to last pick of the 99 draft, Almost everyone passed over him twice.
Gary Neal - undrafted, signed off the scrap heap from Spain.
Danny Green - former second rounder, scrap heap FA acquisition, then cut, played in the D League and in Slovenia, scrap heap acquisition again.
Kawhi Leonard - 15th pick
Tiago Splitter - 28th overall pick in 2007, stashed in Europe for three years before he came over to the NBA.
Cory Joseph - 29th overall pick.
Boris Diaw - Got cut from the Bobcats, picked up off the scrap heap
Bonner - former second rounder acquired for crap and cash.
Patty Mills - former late second rounder and D leaguer, picked up off the scrap heap after playing in Australia and China the previous two years.
DeJuan Blair - 37th pick.
Nando DeColo - 53rd overall pick.
Tracy McGrady - signed off the street after spending the year in China about a week before the season ended.
Aron Baynes - undrafted, signed off the scrap heap out of Slovenia.

dat frontoffice

And as of right now Green is the finals mvp. I don't want to hear anything about "BUT HE WOULDN"T EVEN GET THOSE SHOTS WITHOUT DUNCAN/TONY"

No. Just no. He's absolutely destroying momentum or creating it with his shots and mindfucking the Heats willingness to blitz guys as much as they usually do and he's literally stopped the Heat from gaining critical momentum with his transition defense against LeBron and Wade.

I think Tony can grab it if he has a huge game as he was almost equally impressive last night but discrediting how big Green has been would be a huge mistake. He's been the best player on the floor for SA.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Didn't read it all but still, its pretty clear I was talking the team when I said we. And its not like its duncan's defense more than its diaw or kawhi.

So again, SA's frontcourt defense is weaker defense than Indys. Dispute it...

Perhaps, but the spurs have statistically had a better defensive postseason than Indiana, and they weren't that far behind Indiana in the regular season (Indy's defense was #1 in the league, Spurs' was #3).

No disrespect to Vogel, but the fact is, Popovich is a better coach, and the spurs are better disciplined, and that's why they've performed better in the playoffs. And, unlike the Pacers, the Spurs have the offensive weapons to make the Heat pay for their ticky-tack trap defense.

I don't think San Antonios front court defense is as good as Indianas but for whatever reason LeBron is missing way more shots at the rim than I ever saw him miss in that series. I don't know if its because he's mind throwed or if its because San Antonio is doing a better job or what. I think it's more of the former to be honest but saying so would be unfairly discrediting the Spurs.

I hope Chalmers gets less playing time. It's alright to miss open shots (no not really) --- but it's even worse when you're making horrible plays and reads and thinking you're some kind of superstar with 18 seconds left on the shot clock. I swear he singlehandedly gave the Spurs 10 points. This team can't afford his Wario/Mario switch.

Top Bottom