• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Finals |OT| The "Big 3" looks to hang another banner... against the Heat

Fox318

ray's reaction to green breaking his record was priceless

danny-green-broke-ray-allens-record-for-3-pointers-in-an-nba-finals-and-allens-reaction-was-perfect.jpg

lol

Vahagn

Lol I wasn't getting involved in that discussion at all. I knew Bolton was baiting.

The response was just a perfect time to clown Wilbon. In fact I think I'm going to randomly start throwing that set-up out there in posts

Vahagn

we both know I'd write a six paragraph response If I really wanted to respond.

The real question is, do you start a franchise with LBJ or Dirk? I take Dirk all day, everyday.

Lebron's better. But Dirk's loyal as long as you're willing to spend. So if you're willing to spend, Dirk. If you're not, Lebron. That way at least you get 5-7 years of Lebron assuming both will leave after their first extension is up.

and exactly why would you do that

I like Dirk more personality wise. I feel like he genuinely cares about his fans and wouldn't leave for anything, even with all the shenanigans Cubes has put him through.

Also, they're both great players, but I feel way better with the ball in Dirk's hands at the end of a game then I would if LBJ was the best player on my team. I just wish I could see what Dirk would have done if he had more talented players around him later on in his career.

PBY

Banned
I like Dirk more personality wise. I feel like he genuinely cares about his fans and wouldn't leave for anything, even with all the shenanigans Cubes has put him through.

Also, they're both great players, but I feel way better with the ball in Dirk's hands at the end of a game then I would if LBJ was the best player on my team. I just wish I could see what Dirk would have done if he had more talented players around him later on in his career.
So so dumb.

Vahagn

If you start a franchise with Lebron you risk him leaving before he even hits his prime.

This isn't about Prime Lebron Vs. Prime Dirk. It's about placating an 18 year old Lebron enough and hoping he doesn't leave you before he hits his prime. You don't have those issues with Dirk.

In every minute of the game.

When LeBron gets as much help as Dirk got, he performs in the clutch. Great players still
Need help to be clutch. Whether you're Wade, LeBron, or Kobe. Well, outside of Hakeem that is. Dude performed wothout help.

The best player Dirk has played with since Nash is Josh Howard and Jason Terry, and Nash wasn't in his prime at the time. How can you compare Dirks teammates to Lebron's teammates now that he's on the Heat? I'd take Lebron's supporting cast any day over the last 10+ years of what Dirk has had.

If you start a franchise with Lebron you risk him leaving before he even hits his prime.

This isn't about Prime Lebron Vs. Prime Dirk. It's about placating an 18 year old Lebron enough and hoping he doesn't leave you before he hits his prime. You don't have those issues with Dirk.

If LeBron had an owner like Cuban he may not have left while if Dirk was in Cleveland with the Cavs management I can't imagine him staying.

Vahagn

If LeBron had an owner like Cuban he may not have left while if Dirk was in Cleveland with the Cavs management I can't imagine him staying.

Cleveland consistently had high payrolls when Dan Gilbert went there. And surrounded Lebron with as much talent as Dirk had for much of his post Nash career.

He also placated the shit out of Lebron, let his friends and family and groupies basically mooch off the organization. Both organizations spent money and tried to win

One guy stayed through 15 years of having his best friends and best teammates traded away or not re-signed in FA...the other guy got every thing he wanted, had input in personnel decisions and was placated and babied and still left.

The best player Dirk has played with since Nash is Josh Howard and Jason Terry, and Nash wasn't in his prime at the time. How can you compare Dirks teammates to Lebron's teammates now that he's on the Heat? I'd take Lebron's supporting cast any day over the last 10+ years of what Dirk has had.

its easy to say after the fact but during those early years people called the mavs a really deep team full of talent. it wasnt that long ago that you guys were the ones signing high priced free agents and making blockbuster trades all the time that made the team look stacked

i remember when people were like OH MY GOD WE GOT JUWAN HOWARD AND ANTOINE WALKER AND WE RESIGNED RAEF LAFRENTZ!!!!!!11111

Sharp

its easy to say after the fact but during those early years people called the mavs a really deep team full of talent. it wasnt that long ago that you guys were the ones signing high priced free agents and making blockbuster trades all the time that made the team look stacked
Come on ph33nix, you're better than pretending people's expectations for those Mavs teams were even close to those for the Heat.

i remember when people were like OH MY GOD WE GOT JUWAN HOWARD AND ANTOINE WALKER AND WE RESIGNED RAEF LAFRENTZ!!!!!!11111

Lol man I remember those days. Ugh. But yeah, I'm just saying that looking back, this is why I'd like Dirk, because what we know now shows me the lack of talent he's actually really played with.

Vahagn

I remember when people were like "OMG we got Mo Williams for Joe Smith, turned Wally Szasdlkfjasdofiubak's corpse into Shaq, and got Antawn Jamison for a Big Z one month rental and a bag of peanuts"

Both owners spent money to win, and ended up making decisions that surrounded the players with mediocre or past their prime All Star talent.

Cleveland consistently had high payrolls when Dan Gilbert went there. And surrounded Lebron with as much talent as Dirk had for much of his post Nash career.

He also placated the shit out of Lebron, let his friends and family and groupies basically mooch off the organization. Both organizations spent money and tried to win

One guy stayed through 15 years of having his best friends and best teammates traded away or not re-signed in FA...the other guy got every thing he wanted, had input in personnel decisions and was placated and babied and still left.

Except LeBron didn't respect Gilbert because he did anything he wanted. One reason he went to Miami was Riley who demanded respect. Wouldn't take shit. Also, Dirk wasn't brought on day one to be the savior of the franchise while LeBron was. LeBron performed great for someone in his situation with the pressure placed on his shoulders. He dominated like few athletes before him.

Sharp

where in that post does he even imply that?
Am I misreading him saying that it's only easy to see that LeBron has the better supporting cast after the fact? Or was that in reference to his Cleveland days or something? If so, I apologize.

Nope... pretty sure after a reread that that's what he was implying. I get the larger point he was making though.

I remember when people were like "OMG we got Mo Williams for Joe Smith, turned Wally Szasdlkfjasdofiubak's corpse into Shaq, and got Antawn Jamison for a Big Z one month rental and a bag of peanuts"

Both owners spent money to win, and ended up making decisions that surrounded the players with mediocre or past their prime All Star talent.

That Big Z reacquisition by the Cavs was the straw that broke the camels back I guess on that silly trade/cut/sign loophole. It was funny though, how those types of deals were always announced like "he will likely just end up back with the team that traded him in 30 days".

Vahagn

Except LeBron didn't respect Gilbert because he did anything he wanted. One reason he went to Miami was Riley who demanded respect. Wouldn't take shit. Also, Dirk wasn't brought on day one to be the savior of the franchise while LeBron was. LeBron performed great for someone in his situation with the pressure placed on his shoulders. He dominated like few athletes before him.

You need to stop trying to defend Lebron's integrity on every related post. His baby act and backstabbing actions towards the organization don't need to be rationalized or blamed on others.

If you'd rather have Lebron age 18-25 than Dirk for his whole career. Say so. But don't act like they've both shown the same level of maintenance or loyalty throughout their careers.

Edit: And this seems painfully obvious to me, but maybe I should state it anyway. Save your "Riley played his cards right, he did things Gilbert didn't do" stuff for after Lebron retires. Because if Lebron ends up leaving in 2014, everything you will have said will be a moot point. Lebron picked Miami because of the opportunity to play in South Beach with Wade and Bosh and have an easier path to winning + having the time of his adult life in his free time. I seriously doubt he plays for Riley's tough guy old school act in Mil with Brandon Jennings.

Come on ph33nix, you're better than pretending people's expectations for those Mavs teams were even close to those for the Heat.

I stand corrected cause that's how my statement came across, but I think Lbj served his time and proved he is a great player even surrounded with garbage, and I just don't like the hypothetical of "well if dirk had lebrons teammates he would probably have done better" cause while dirk is amazing he has flaws as well that need to be covered up and he also needs a specific kind of help so i don't think he is necessarily easier to build around

lebron plays a 2 way game and impacts it more i think. but i would say its obvious he needs a number two guy who will think score first, cause that isnt lebrons mentality. so in a sense i would feel safer with dirk touching the ball and shooting it in crunch time but i dont think that he has a more versatile and better impact than lebron

wow that is the longest post i will have for the next day

also i am excluding personality or any outside shit, i am keeping this strictly basketball reasons

You need to stop trying to defend Lebron's integrity on every related post. His baby act and backstabbing actions towards the organization don't need to be rationalized or blamed on others.

If you'd rather have Lebron age 18-25 than Dirk for his whole career. Say so. But don't act like they've both shown the same level of maintenance or loyalty throughout their careers.

Edit: And this seems painfully obvious to me, but maybe I should state it anyway. Save your "Riley played his cards right, he did things Gilbert didn't do" stuff for after Lebron retires. Because if Lebron ends up leaving in 2014, everything you will have said will be a moot point. Lebron picked Miami because of the opportunity to play in South Beach with Wade and Bosh and have an easier path to winning + having the time of his adult life in his free time. I seriously doubt he plays for Riley's tough guy old school act in Mil with Brandon Jennings.

Sorry that I have to do this NBA-GAF but... I find it hilarious Vahg that you continually defend a rapist who pushed out the most physically dominating player of the last 30 years as well as quit on his team in the playoffs, went on radio demanding his team trade him, talked shit about his teammate to a fan, continually shot his team out of wins, snitched on his teammates to the police, and more and yet you call me out for defending LeBron's integrity?

Top Bottom