• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT3| Don't believe the pipe

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
So, here's my issue with the "Heat are missing wide open threes and thus losing the series because of it!" argument. There are two crazy assumptions being made:

1) That nearly all if not all three pointers missed by the Heat are wide open
2) Wide open threes surely means 100% conversion

The Heat averaged 39.6% on three-pointers during the regular season. Against the Pacers, they are 26 - 77 (33.7%) -- just above the Pacers' regular season opponent average of 32.7%.

If the Heat were to convert their 77 attempts at their regular season average of 39.6%, they would have made 4.5 more threes this series (30.5).

So, in other words, Jesus Fucking Christ, Heat-age.

Emwitus

So, here's my issue with the "Heat are missing wide open threes and thus losing the series because of it!" argument. There are two crazy assumptions being made:

1) That nearly all if not all three pointers missed by the Heat are wide open
2) Wide open threes surely means 100% conversion

The Heat averaged 39.6% on three-pointers during the regular season. Against the Pacers, they are 26 - 77 (33.7%) -- just above the Pacers' regular season opponent average of 32.7%.

If the Heat were to convert their 77 attempts at their regular season average of 39.6%, they would have made 4.5 more threes this series (30.5).

So, in other words, Jesus Fucking Christ, Heat-age.

Seriously. Oh, and remember every game ray played after game 2 in 2010? It's not like the guy never chokes.

Vestal

Oh please, quit acting like there was no complaining from Heat fans about the refs. And it's not only here that I'm referring to, I'm just talking about most Heat fans in general. If you fail to see that then you're purposely being blind. I've voiced my displeasure of the refs for years, regardless of who is playing, but to sit there and act like the Heat don't get favorable calls is dumb.

Like I said earlier, the reason for those reactions is due to the fact that the Heat get calls that other teams normally wouldn't get. For you to say that you think the double standards that fans have is ridiculous, perhaps you should open your eyes and look at the games through our point of view. Maybe if games start getting called fairly on a consistent basis, then people will stop being like that.

But its a ridiculous standard to begin with anyways.. Every successful team gets that label now and its retarded.. or should we bring up the FThunder? Its stupid.. They get more calls because of the style of play, and they get more flack because they are successful.

I remember back in the 90s when Michael and the Bulls got a lot of flack for getting all the calls, we didn't have the Internet we have today back then.. I am guessing if we did, it would be the same damn thing.

I don't think anyone's made that argument either. It's certainly not helping though.

If your team was missing good shots while the Pacers burn the clock down to 4 every time and then get a fuckball bucket, you'd be pissed as hell too!

reilo

I don't think anyone's made that argument either. It's certainly not helping though.

If your team was missing good shots while the Pacers burn the clock down to 4 every time and then get a fuckball bucket, you'd be pissed as hell too!
Then what argument is being made? Nobody has clarified a) what a wide open three is, b) how many are missed and c) what rate they should be converted at.

Hence why I looked up their makes and misses and adjusted it for their season average. Saying that the Heat should've made 4.5 more threes this series is not unreasonable. The "if they only made their wide open threes" vagueness is a terrible argument on its own.

Then what argument is being made? Nobody has clarified a) what a wide open three is, b) how many are missed and c) what rate they should be converted at.

Hence why I looked up their makes and misses and adjusted it for their season average. Saying that the Heat should've made 4.5 more threes this series is not unreasonable. The "if they only made their wide open threes" vagueness is a terrible argument on its own.

I don't know there's just been so much shit said. I think Heat fans are just annoyed with everybody on the team and everybody is just getting a lot of sprayed venom.

Like I said, the 3 PT shooting isn't helping, but there are so many other issues right now.

Vestal

Last night alone.. Battier had 3 wide open 3s while Ray Allen had 2.. If you go by averages they should have made at least 2 of those, that's 6 points right there not to mention a made basket slows the opposing teams offense were our defense can set on the other end.

Battier has certainly missed his share of wide open 3s.

But, IMO, it's because of him having to guard David West. It's killing him. Those open 3s aren't so easy now.

Miami shot like 35% from 3 last night. They're offense has been quite good this series despite the fact that Wade has been garbage.

But they're letting Indiana, a mediocre offensive team at best, perform well above their season average. Mostly because of rebounding

Last night alone.. Battier had 3 wide open 3s while Ray Allen had 2.. If you go by averages they should have made at least 2 of those, that's 6 points right there not to mention a made basket slows the opposing teams offense were our defense can set on the other end.

Ray also made a near impossible 3...

Vestal

Battier has certainly missed his share of wide open 3s.

But, IMO, it's because of him having to guard David West. It's killing him. Those open 3s aren't so easy now.

Miami shot like 35% from 3 last night. They're offense has been quite good this series despite the fact that Wade has been garbage.

But they're letting Indiana, a mediocre offensive team at best, perform well above their season average. Mostly because of rebounding

Ray also made a near impossible 3...

Yeah but that impossible 3 cancels out Stephenson rainbow shot from the corner.

reilo

The Heat's problem is that they're attempting too many threes, so in that regard the Pacers aren't doing their job. The caveat being, that it's keeping the Heat out of the paint as evidenced by Lebron's and Wade's abysmal FTA numbers.

Those missed 3s sting a hell of a lot more when you're doing so many other things poorly though. A missed 3 isn't bad but if you compound it by taking more bad shots and turning it over and letting the other team manhandle you, then it's going to suck of course.

The Heat's problem is that they're attempting too many threes, so in that regard the Pacers aren't doing their job. The caveat being, that it's keeping the Heat out of the paint as evidenced by Lebron's and Wade's abysmal FTA numbers.

Wade was abysmal before the series.

But Miami shouldn't complain about their offense. It's their D that is the problem.

my problem with the team

1)LeBron is great but he needs to park his ass in the post or just be in the left block, it' s where he's at his best, it probably tires him out but tough shit.
2)Wade is playing like a fucking role player.
3) Battier has turned to shit, on both ends, but trying to control Dwest is probably draining him.
4)team wants to swag & style too much and spo has no control over them
5)Ray is the worst defender in the league and not contributing much but I like that Paul George can' take him off the dribble but Lance Stephenson is abusing the shit out of him.
6)In regards to the threes, pacers are closing out sure but it's obvious that the shooters are in a slump. Bosh and LeBron are the best shooters on the team right now.
7)we need to double Hibbert, I can live with a Lance stephenson open shot.
8)Bosh needs to be more aggressive, if his jumpshot isn't going down, he gives out
9)The speedy rotation defense only shows up after the first half is done and we;re letting the Pacers shoot 50%+ from the field. Another symptom of not giving a fuck. This is what's hurting us the most.

basically, the team needs to start giving all out effort from the tip and wrap this shit up. The threes wouldn't matter so much if Wade and Bosh weren't acting like role players. Especially Wade and if LeBron didn't love the perimeter so damn much. To credit Indy, sure the protect the paint well and all that but LeBron can get there any amount of times he wants if he's determined to.

And can we stop giving Geroge Hill so many free throws? I'm not worried because the team is obviously not desperate/not giving a fuck , they only fucking care after they lose a game it seems.

Vahagn

I dunno what you're talking about, Born Ready's fuckball buckets are glorious to watch

Wade was abysmal before the series.

But Miami shouldn't complain about their offense. It's their D that is the problem.

This kind of sounds ridiculous, but outside of Roy Olajuwon being born before our eyes, I don't feel like the Heat have been that bad on D. They've forced Indy to take stuff late in the shot clock...the problem is, the Pacers are either making those shots or they're taking shots that allow the ball to bounce for an offensive rebound more easily.

I don't even know what to think about what I'm watching to be honest. I guess this is the power of fuckball.

and LeBron isn't being aggressive, saw at least 3 times last night he was right at the rim but passed instead. That's fine, but if Wade is basically doing the same thing except at a way less efficient rate, things are not good. He's gotta pick up the scoring

Vahagn

This kind of sounds ridiculous, but outside of Roy Olajuwon being born before our eyes, I don't feel like the Heat have been that bad on D. They've forced Indy to take stuff late in the shot clock...the problem is, the Pacers are either making those shots or they're taking shots that allow the ball to bounce for an offensive rebound more easily.

I don't even know what to think about what I'm watching to be honest. I guess this is the power of fuckball.

Naw, they're just much taller than you guys. West and Hibbert just reach over Battier's and Lebron's head and grab boards. It's a reason why small ball usually struggles to win championships. You guys are pulling it off because of greatness of Lebron and your team D.

What, so you DON'T think its a good idea to camp your biggest and best post player on the perimeter?!

Talon

I'm probably just picking a fight with the wrong dude, although I'm really not sure why he's wasting any time bitching about the general fan on other message boards or whatever.

I'm pretty sure every Heat fan here, while we may have been annoyed at the calls, is 10X more disgusted at the team. So it's really dumb when some guy who hasn't posted here in months comes out of the woodworks and tells us we're whining and we shouldn't be when A) If he wants to say 'general fans,' then Dallas is among the whiniest, and B) Nobody is actually blaming the calls on the result of the game here.
Dallas fans have every right to since that debacle of a Finals.

Indiana's ORTG these 4 games:

During the season it was 104.3. 20th in the league. Miami's Def was 103.7. Their offense was 112.3 and they've been right at it or above in 3 of the games.

Their defense is shit. An it's almost entirely because of rebounding. Indiana has rebounded 43% on offense TWICE in this series. 33 37, 43,45. Those numbers aren't just high, they're astronomical. Their team average was 30%, which was 4th.

Sacramento, the worst defensive rebounding team, still grabbed 71%.

Fact of the matter is Battier on West and the way Hibbert is beasting the board explains the rebounding is the explanation for the series. Not missed open 3s.

thekad

Banned

During the season it was 104.3. 20th in the league. Miami's Def was 103.7. Their offense was 112.3 and they've been right at it or above in 3 of the games.

Their defense is shit. An it's almost entirely because of rebounding. Indiana has rebounded 43% on offense TWICE in this series. 33 37, 43,45. Those numbers aren't just high, they're astronomical. Their team average was 30%, which was 4th.

Fact of the matter is Battier on West and the way Hibbert is beasting the board explains the rebounding is the explanation for the series. Not missed open 3s.

No one is going to listen to you.

Not just rebounding though, Indiana's FT/FGA ratio is at .481 in this series.

Their ability to offensive rebound and draw fouls in this series has been impossibly good.

Fjordson

Yeah, the rebounding is rough for Miami right now.

Chris Bosh is getting out rebounded in this series by both of Indiana's starting guards. No bueno.

Not just rebounding though, Indiana's FT/FGA ratio is at .481 in this series.

Their ability to offensive rebound and draw fouls in this series has been impossibly good.

You're right, I forgot about the FTs. Which stems from the same problem as the rebounding, being undersized.

So it's the fouling + defensive rebounding that's killing Miami.

I think they need to be playing Rashard Lewis over Allen. And Birdman over Haslem.

They really, really need Bosh to play in the paint more. Watching him shoot wide open elbow threes is painful. Thats what Indiana wants him to do. The Heat would be a lot better if they had an offensive post play that actually plays in the fucking post.

I think they need to be playing Rashard Lewis over Allen. And Birdman over Haslem.

Hell, even Mike Miller would suffice. At least that dude will crash the boards and earn one extra foul because the refs feel bad that he is the only guy on the Heat breaking down worse than Wade.

Hell, even Mike Miller would suffice. At least that dude will crash the boards and earn one extra foul because the refs feel bad that he is the only guy on the Heat breaking down worse than Wade.

The big problem is with Bosh not ever playing in the post and Dwayne Wade flopping around like a fish thinking it's the 2006 Finals.

You're reading what you read want to read and interpreting how you want. Discussion over.

And you keep saying these 'facts'---yet these facts have not been happening. And YOU are still whining about things.

I'm probably just picking a fight with the wrong dude, although I'm really not sure why he's wasting any time bitching about the general fan on other message boards or whatever.

I'm pretty sure every Heat fan here, while we may have been annoyed at the calls, is 10X more disgusted at the team. So it's really dumb when some guy who hasn't posted here in months comes out of the woodworks and tells us we're whining and we shouldn't be when A) If he wants to say 'general fans,' then Dallas is among the whiniest, and B) Nobody is actually blaming the calls on the result of the game here.

Really I'm just going to stop after this, but I've seen posts in here talking about how the refs hate the Heat and other stuff so quit acting like some Heat fans haven't bitched. It doesn't matter how much I've posted in the past few months regardless, all I said is that Heat fans complaining about refs costing them games or bitching about calls that don't go their way after how much favor they have received the past few years is dumb.

I never said anything about all of you whining anyways, I said all of the heat fans complaining, so I'm not exactly sure why you're getting so defensive to begin with if you weren't one of them.

Dallas fans have a reason to be upset at how the Finals went, and I'd love for you to prove to me that the Heat didn't get bias in their favor from refs.

Fjordson

The big problem is with Bosh not ever playing in the post and Dwayne Wade flopping around like a fish thinking it's the 2006 Finals.
Totally agree about Bosh.

I'm rooting against the Heat, but I'm not really a Bosh hater so it sucks to see him just sort of float around on the perimeter and not do much. I know it's nothing new for him in Miami and it'll probably still work for them for the foreseeable future but damn he's really a shell of his Raptor self.

I mean averaging 13 and 6 in the postseason so far? 14 and 3 in this series? So mediocre. Surely that's not his ceiling.

Really I'm just going to stop after this, but I've seen posts in here talking about how the refs hate the Heat and other stuff so quit acting like some Heat fans haven't bitched. It doesn't matter how much I've posted in the past few months regardless, all I said is that Heat fans complaining about refs costing them games or bitching about calls that don't go their way after how much favor they have received the past few years is dumb.

I never said anything about all of you whining anyways, I said all of the heat fans complaining, so I'm not exactly sure why you're getting so defensive to begin with if you weren't one of them.

Dallas fans have a reason to be upset at how the Finals went, and I'd love for you to prove to me that the Heat didn't get bias in their favor from refs.

Again, I never said there wasn't calls favorable to the Heat. All I've said for the last damn 7 years is that I heard very little talk about referees being a factor in Miami winning games 3 and 4, then suddenly game 5 happened and for whatever reason history remembers game 5 as the only game that matters.

Go ahead and post a few of the YouTube videos of 'Dwyane Wade phantom foul" from game 6---do you really think that calls in the 2nd and 3rd quarter are why Dallas lost that game and ultimately the series? If so, bummer for you. Many Dallas fans treat that series like "If the refs weren't in the way, it's ours!" while ignoring a lot of the ass play Dallas had. It's been a long 7 years of excuse making that's for sure.

But I'm glad you are fully supportive of the "Heat fans need to stay silent while everybody else cries during the game" movement

You would be hard pressed to find an NBA fan that doesn't think the 2006 Finals were fixed. It is one of the most obvious examples of games being thrown in professional sports.

Is Pacers-age mostly located in Indianapolis? If you guys get past the Heat, any interest in trying to snag tickets to a Spurs/Pacers Finals game?

Vahagn

People thought Wade was done during the Chicago series in 2011 and then he exploded for like 30+ ppg during the Mavs series.

He's just inconsistent due to his injuries and being completely mind fucked out of any sense of confidence on his shot, but he's not done.

And Bosh can still take West or pretty much anyone else off the dribble or hit the mid range shot at will.

Indiana just mucks up the game, and the Heat just don't have the discipline to keep going to their advantages. Bron rarely posts, Wade rarely cuts or takes Hill/Augustin to the post, Bosh rarely does anything but shoot jumpers. And Lebron spends more time on offense setting screens than anything else. Indiana has definitely affected the Miami offense

Pheeniks my man. Sometimes you gotta let it ride.

You dodging me in 2k last night didn't help matters, I couldn't take my anger out on virtual Pacers!

Instead broken Lakers got the end of my wrath. I didn't even have any joy beating CB, really.

Is Pacers-age mostly located in Indianapolis? If you guys get past the Heat, any interest in trying to snag tickets to a Spurs/Pacers Finals game?

If the Heat play San Antonio, do you know any ways I could buy ticket that isn't ticketmaster and isn't like 300% face value?

Smokey

You dodging me in 2k last night didn't help matters, I couldn't take my anger out on virtual Pacers!

Instead broken Lakers got the end of my wrath. I didn't even have any joy beating CB, really.

Lolz that's why you wanted to play, I didn't even make the connection. Anti game 4 where Lebron gets every call in 2k

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker

Do you really wanna brag about beating me by a couple points with the starting back court of Darius Morris/Andrew Goudlelock? Using the best team in the game?

This isnt a fight you want, phee. Lest we forget i was beating you by an average of about 30 when i had the Mamba.

Do you really wanna brag about beating me by a couple points with the starting back court of Darius Morris/Andrew Goudlelock? Using the best team in the game?

This isnt a fight you want, phee. Lest we forget i was beating you by an average of about 30 when i had the Mamba.

Geez, you're sensitive today! That's not bragging.

Besides I can't wait for the return of Mamba so that we prove that you're a liar

CB3

Geez, you're sensitive today! That's not bragging.

Besides I can't wait for the return of Mamba so that we prove that you're a liar

All thats going to happen is ill tap that ass and make you sell 2k13 like you sold 2k12 after i beating you by 30 before halftime every game.

cant even play 2k the way they fuck up the teams "because its like that in real life."

Lord I hope they remove that shit for 2k14.

The lakers have been eliminated for weeks, i dont get why i cant play with Kobe yet.

Ive never looked myself but it must blow for Bulls fans who have never been able to use Derrick Rose in online games at all this year.

cant even play 2k the way they fuck up the teams "because its like that in real life."

Lord I hope they remove that shit for 2k14.

lol I wonder if they are going to let Kobe sit on the IR forever or if they'll reset it when the season is over

All thats going to happen is ill tap that ass and make you sell 2k13 like you sold 2k12 after i beating you by 30 before halftime every game.

delusional-disorder-grandiose-type.jpg

effzee

LOL @ seeing posts here about the refs hating the Heat.

Yes please do stop. You pop in with no proof for what you claim and then get mad if you are refuted. If you make the claim it is on you to back it up. Questionable calls being discussed doesn't = Heat fans crying about the refs hating them or costing them the game.

Any points Haslem gives them is gravy and his jumper is solid but the instructions he should be given is you are not to leave the paint. Just go in for rebounds. Same with Anderson. And play your whole bench the minute you realize Battier's shot is still off.

Totally agree about Bosh.

I'm rooting against the Heat, but I'm not really a Bosh hater so it sucks to see him just sort of float around on the perimeter and not do much. I know it's nothing new for him in Miami and it'll probably still work for them for the foreseeable future but damn he's really a shell of his Raptor self.

I mean averaging 13 and 6 in the postseason so far? 14 and 3 in this series? So mediocre. Surely that's not his ceiling.

That is why I have been saying they need to switch their offensive game plan. Right now its all on LeBron to create something either for himself or to pass it to a open 3 shot. Instead they need to, by design, get the ball to Bosh and let him post. He will draw fouls, make shots, and at worst relieve the guards from having to do everything. Hell being closer to the basket he might even grab some rebounds.

You can't have all your bigs, except for Anderson, always looking for the jumper. Its one thing to be out manned or out sized but if you big guys aren't even near the rim how in the world are you supposed to rebound?

With all that said I think Spo/Miami have the approach that we will not change our plans as a panic reaction to the Pacers. That they will weather the storm and just play better. I think they should switch it up. Rashard Lewis and Mike Miller should get more minutes, especially to close quarters for open looks at the 3 esp since the other guys are off.

With all that said I think Spo/Miami have the approach that we will not change our plans as a panic reaction to the Pacers. That they will weather the storm and just play better. I think they should switch it up. Rashard Lewis and Mike Miller should get more minutes, especially to close quarters for open looks at the 3 esp since the other guys are off.

Spo seems too hesitant to make major changes...he really needs to realize that we're not playing the Thunder right now

Man why couldn't the Pacers have Kendrick Perkins instead :(

CB3

Bro the wizards suck ass Jon wall mirrors his nba self. I dunno why you can't see this. Also I got these two messages yesterday from 2k

Heat culture

xbox messages are the best. i end up saving them as long as i can just to laugh at them.

Top Bottom