• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT3| Don't believe the pipe

I might be wrong but all the people asking "Is no homo offensive?" clearly don't have any homosexual colleagues or have encountered them very much.

I learned to erase that completely from my vocabulary when I left super conservative town to go to UT

knicks

I am an extremely liberal person, but it is really annoying that the Hibbert, "no homo" comment is going to really rally people up.

Clearly messing around. This is where the liberal media gets annoying. It is usually for the better, but in this situation its going to get blown up for really not a good reason, because we know what he was saying.

Doesn't matter what he feels, if his words garner enough outrage from the public, Stern will force him to make an apology and eat a fine

a few thousand dollar fine IS a slap on the wrist for an NBA player. he's not going to get suspended. And to be honest, saying "No homo" at work could probably get you or I or any other average person fired.

It's a hot button issue right now, especially with Jason Collins having just come out.

Oh... well, I agree a fine would be... fine in this situation. I do feel that NeoGaf is a bit ahead when it comes to the way we view issues, but sure. Why not.

Edit: I do feel that the black community at large would react in a similar manner though.

Wait, so "no homo" is offensive now?

It's very inappropriate to say in a professional setting, yes.

Lots of comedic stuff you see in movies or stand up routines are really blue and offensive, and its okay to find them funny, but you can't go around repeating them at work without context and when it's inappropriate.

giga

I am an extremely liberal person, but it is really annoying that the Hibbert, "no homo" comment is going to really rally people up.

Clearly messing around. This is where the liberal media gets annoying. It is usually for the better, but in this situation its going to get blown up for really not a good reason, because we know what he was saying.
What was he saying? That he's not gay? Why the fuck would you have to clarify that?

Cloudy

Banned

Clearly messing around. This is where the liberal media gets annoying. It is usually for the better, but in this situation its going to get blown up for really not a real reason, because we know what he was saying.

I am also a liberal and I totally agree. I am just sick of militantancy in racial issues, feminism, gay advocacy and enviromantal issues. It's fucking annoying..

Cloudy

Banned
It's very inappropriate to say in a professional setting, yes.

Lots of comedic stuff you see in movies or stand up routines are really blue and offensive, and its okay to find them funny, but you can't go around repeating them at work without context and when it's inappropriate.

Oh it's totally juvenile and inappropriate but I meant "offensive" as in something that GLAAD will hammer the NBA on

My neighbors are all gay. One of them was just lolzing about it on facebook. He found it funny.

That's good for them to take it lighter, but it is still something a lot of homosexuals take sensitively and it's still not right to say that whether or not people think it's offensive

Look I do think the overreaction is somewhat ridiculous for in context, a benign comment, but there ARE people who are affected by it, whether or not we think it happens. I would guess the people who that kind of comment will most affect are those still in the closet and I think society is moving in the direction to try to get those people to embrace themselves

I really have no clue what I'm feeling right now. Its mostly disgust I guess. I look at game 7 and see that the outcome is either what we were supposed to do or utter failure and humiliation. I'm not scared, I am not excited either. I guess I just want this series to be done.

BadAss2961

Sensitive GAF is worst GAF. If being a dick helps Hibbert win this series, then may he be that dick.

Not a single fuck should be given from any Heat hater.

At the same time, let's not pretend that an NBA game is the same as the break room at a major company. Different standards of professionalism apply.

on the court? No. I'm sure there is a lot of stuff said back and forth by players that might make your average person blush. But on a podium, after a game, when you have a hundred mics in your face and cameras recording your every move?

Spinluck

The fact that people are defending the dumb shit Hibbert said is just lol. Nonetheless, defending it by bringing up dumb shit that happened about 2yrs ago that isn't even in the same context.

It's ok unless someone on the Heat does it, smh. Can't wait for game 7, should be fun.

Tom Penny

I really have no clue what I'm feeling right now. Its mostly disgust I guess. I look at game 7 and see that the outcome is either what we were supposed to do or utter failure and humiliation. I'm not scared, I am not excited either. I guess I just want this series to be done.

You should be more angry you might lose to a despicable human being like Roy Hibbert

Cloudy

Banned
What was he saying? That he's not gay? Why the fuck would you have to clarify that?

He clearly got too comfortable talking to the press in the euphoria of the win. Like it or not, it's a common term among young guys. It slipped out but it doesn't make him anti-gay or whatever. I will be really upset if a big fuss is made over this and it overshadows the game

The fact that people are defending the dumb shit Hibbert said is just lol. Nonetheless, defending it by bringing up dumb shit that happened about 2yrs ago that isn't even in the same context.

It's ok unless someone on the Heat does it, smh. Can't wait for game 7, should be fun.

As a Pacer fan I really don't care in the least. It's not like players are penalized enough to make them care or think like the rest of us.

BadAss2961

He clearly got too comfortable talking to the press in the euphoria of the win. Like it or not, it's a common term among young guys. It slipped out but it doesn't make him anti-gay or whatever. I will be really upset if a big fuss is made over this and it overshadows the game
I don't think it can overshadow ESPN panicking for Miami.

Cloudy

Banned
Honestly, can you imagine LeBron saying something like that? Or even the motherfucker comment. Hibbert is a stupid ass wannabe thug.

LeBron is actual used to big media cos he's been a superstar since he was a kid. Hibbert plays in Indiana and hasn't had this kind of media attention before. He'll learn...

Top Bottom