• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT3| Don't believe the pipe

He doesn't have some typical groupie-ridden blinged out twitter with pics of being a baller and all that rap-game bullshit. He's normal and has a good sense of humor. Dude watches GoT (and Dexter). I forgive you, Roy. Go Pacers!
Way to be extremely judgmental.

Who are you to tell people who make more money than you will ever earn how to live their lives?

As long as they aren't committing crime I don't give a fuck what they do.

I think I'm being nuanced and posssibly contrarian. I don't accept "no homo" as a malicious attack on gay people. We can agree to disagree

I think we all understand exactly what the phrase means.

"Hey, since that phrase I just said could possibly be misinterpreted as me being gay, allow me to be abundantly clear that I like pussy. I'm not into the dick, ya feel me? I'm not cool with that. I'm manly."
/scratches nuts and grunts

There are plenty of things said in hip hop songs that can't be used in everyday speech because they're offensive.

BLkZFyGCAAAT_Js.jpg:large

dem local Georgetown boys comin to support Roy.

Cloudy

Banned
and its not like women are having trouble finding work or the same civil rights now like they used to. gays are still heavily discriminated against in many parts of the country. I hate having to be excessively PC but you need to understand that's where society is right now.

I totally understand and you'll see me with my e-pitchfork railing against what I consider to be true bigotry and discrimination. However, I think we go overboard with the PC sometimes. I just hate that it's so easy for the PC media to cow folks into silence these days over innocuous comments.

I think we as fans lose if Hibbert is hammered on this and becomes your typical "say nothing" interviewee moving forward

Greg Monroe looks like he could be my father, except i'm 6 years older than him. That, and I look like Ginobili.

I fear that Hibbert's remark last night will stick with him for a while, hopefully not years. Looking at his feed, dude isn't that kind of person.

He's exactly that kind of person. Epicurean immature pro ball player who does not take into account the responsibilities of his position as a public figure.

PBY

Banned
I totally understand and you'll see me with my e-pitchfork railing against what I consider to be true bigotry and discrimination. However, I think we go overboard with the PC sometimes. I just hate that it's so easy for the PC media to cow folks into silence these days over innocuous comments.

I think we as fans lose if Hibbert is hammered on this and becomes your typical "say nothing" interviewee moving forward
See- you keep calling the comment innocuous. That's the problem.

Also- there's a whole range of space to work with between saying no homo and "saying nothing"

KingGondo

Banned

Quit railing against "political correctness" and acting like we live in a police state where you'll get arrested for not saying the "PC" thing. It's a fucking myth.

"No homo" is broadly offensive to the LGBT community, and displays immaturity on Hibbert's part. It is in no way the same thing as "that's what she said", which is also culturally understood as a reference to The Office. "No homo" simply means, "I wouldn't want this statement to be misconstrued as being ga, because being gay is weak, gross, and otherwise undesirable, especially for an alpha male like me."

Nobody is preventing Hibbert from saying what he wants, but that doesn't mean there won't be consequences for his words (just like there are in almost any walk of life).

I think we as a society win as soon as bullshit phrases like "no homo" become broadly unacceptable in our discourse.

Its sad that this has been the only exciting matchup in the entire playoffs. Injuries really destroyed the matchups

I was just thinking that yesterday during the game. But I'm excited to see neo Spurs ball play in the Finals. Even in 2007, they had the brakes on.

Well said by my neighbor from the South!

You're still kind of a bitch in my eyes for rooting against the Heat though, Gondo. How dare you.

Vestal

What? You just make shit up. No one, least of all "Heat GAF," was bagging on KD's effort. Everyone knew they were done once Westbrook went down, and most of the conversation was discussion on whether Harden would have made a difference in the situation.

If I remember correctly a lot of the blame after YNB went down was directed at Brooks, because it was evident he had no plan B. No one was really blaming KD he was put in a ridiculous position in which he could not succeed given his skill set.

What? You just make shit up. No one, least of all "Heat GAF," was bagging on KD's effort. Everyone knew they were done once Westbrook went down, and most of the conversation was discussion on whether Harden would have made a difference in the situation.

Do I need to go back and get the receipts? Happy to do so...

Quit railing against "political correctness" and acting like we live in a police state where you'll get arrested for not saying the "PC" thing. It's a fucking myth.

"No homo" is broadly offensive to the LGBT community, and displays immaturity on Hibbert's part. It is in no way the same thing as "that's what she said", which is also culturally understood as a reference to The Office. "No homo" simply means, "I wouldn't want this statement to be misconstrued as being ga, because being gay is weak, gross, and otherwise undesirable, especially for an alpha male like me."

Nobody is preventing Hibbert from saying what he wants, but that doesn't mean there won't be consequences for his words (just like there are in almost any walk of life).

I think we as a society win as soon as bullshit phrases like "no homo" become broadly unacceptable in our discourse.

The NBA also went out of their way last year to make this Grant Hill commercial:

"Your moves are so gay" commercial

I mean, the league is trying to be a leader in this regard, but locker room talk seems to spill over sometimes.

Either way, Hibbert was feeling himself way too much. Playing the small market card against the media when his own teammate won most improved and Gasol won DPTY. and lol, not even their own fans came out to watch them play.

His play warrants swag, but like someone else mentioned all of this is new to him.

Tom Penny

LOL suspend Hibbert. KG literally says mother fucker and N**ger 100+ times a game without even a tech. Next they will suspend players for saying that foul was retarded...instead of calling the ref intellectually challenged. Intent doesn't matter in the world anymore..

charsace

I think we all understand exactly what the phrase means.

"Hey, since that phrase I just said could possibly be misinterpreted as me being gay, allow me to be abundantly clear that I like pussy. I'm not into the dick, ya feel me? I'm not cool with that. I'm manly."
/scratches nuts and grunts

There are plenty of things said in hip hop songs that can't be used in everyday speech because they're offensive.
The phrase wasn't started by a rapper.

charsace

Bosh needs to be the clearcut #2 option for Miami next year, they need to actually start running him some plays from next season onwards as well. All that "wow look how well he did tonight, and we run no plays for him" shit coming out of the Heat when he has a good game just ends up looking stupid when he plays like this. How the fuck don't you run plays for someone who put in 4 seasons of 22ppg and than a season of 24ppg the year before we get him. I guess it made sense with "prime" Wade and Lebron but now it's just looking silly.

And also that 31 minutes per game needs to go the fuck up, with our frontcourt that should not be what he's playing. Heck give him the "you're the man" role when Lebron sits instead of Wade because at this stage it's clear Wade can't do it anymore.

lol at Bosh's minutes going up. Bosh's knees are shot to shit.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Opinions on Wade saying that he and Bosh both need MORE touches? And suggesting that certain players (LeBron) are trying to will their way to victory and not getting enough people involved?
Oh, for real?

Thats some funny shit.

He needs to be riding the bench if anything. They're better off with Norris Cole in there.

If they lose game 7 I'm sure he'll be pointing the finger at Lebron.

Tom Penny

Opinions on Wade saying that he and Bosh both need MORE touches? And suggesting that certain players (LeBron) are trying to will their way to victory and not getting enough people involved?

The real reason they lost is because Stern suspended their 2nd best player.

As offensive as it is, you can't always expect athletes to be as sensitive in the way they speak, especially when they're so young. I'm not defending Hibberts statements but dude possibly is young, a celebrity, probably doesn't have too many gay friends, and may not even be cognizant of how offensive the statement is.

We're not talking about a politician, a professor, a CEO. We're talking about a young pro ball player. He'll learn from this. It's ridiculous to make assumptions about someones character and person just because of something said when the person saying it may not even have been aware of how others take it.

He doesn't have some typical groupie-ridden blinged out twitter with pics of being a baller and all that rap-game bullshit. He's normal and has a good sense of humor. Dude watches GoT (and Dexter). I forgive you, Roy. Go Pacers!

I follow dozens and dozens of high profile ball players on twitter, who the hell is even about that shit anymore?
Get the fuck out of the Iverson era.

Heavy: FYI, the way you use describe some of these cultures and athletes can come across as quite offensive too. Gangsta rap? What does that have to do with ANYTHING? Your use of 'thug', etc., has certain 'speak' to it that you may not even be aware of. Just like Hibbert.

Oh, for real?

Yeah that comment was amusing to me. Hey Wade...you and Bosh already had plenty of touches in Game 6 and in earlier games this series. You're just not taking advantage of those opportunities.

Those two have nobody to blame but themselves.

If Popovich were coaching the Heat, then Wade and Bosh would've been spending a lot more time on the bench, due to their shitty, soft (Bosh) and apathetic (Wade) play.

KingGondo

Banned
Well said by my neighbor from the South!

You're still kind of a bitch in my eyes for rooting against the Heat though, Gondo. How dare you.
Being considered a bitch by you is actually a compliment. <3

P.S. And Oklahoma isn't the "south." We prefer "southern plains." :p

Top Bottom