• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT3| Don't believe the pipe

Vestal

Will Heat fans cheer if Wade has a big game tomorrow? It would prove that he's not too hurt to play well and was just coasting through the first six games.
you've never played organized ball with a leg injury have you? Its quiet possible he could play tommorow and go ham even with an injury, it won't mean he is healed.

leg injuries to bball players can be very weird at times particularly on your explosiveness and jump shot. Can easily vary from day to day. Last year I had a IT band strain that dragged with me for a few weeks. Was in a league and 3 out of the 5 games I played it hampered me to hell and back, my lift wasn't there and my shot was totally off. Games 2 and 5 of those it was still hurting but it was not affecting my shot at all. My lift was not 100% but better than the other games.

Probabilities are he won't have a great game, but there is a chance that the injury may allow him to find his jumper again.

exarkun

Nice snark. But you seriously tried to use his background in law to make a point while completing misconstruing (or misinterpreting) the principle you were trying to use against him.

Don't blame me for pointing it out.

(edit) Hahahahah at what's above me. You seriously found ONE heat fan who was being sarcastic, and then Lakers/Knicks-age trolling?

I don't think you understand what I was saying. He created a thread, starts ratcheting up the nonsense in here, a poster makes a valid argument, he responds by dismissing it, we both went to law school, and I wanted to poke fun at the fact that as a potential lawyer he couldn't see both sides and ended it with a "you don't understand." Happy?

It's better in here when you and him don't get self righteous.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Nice snark. But you seriously tried to use his background in law to make a point while completing misconstruing (or misinterpreting) the principle you were trying to use against him.

Don't blame me for pointing it out.

(edit) Hahahahah at what's above me. You seriously found ONE heat fan who was being sarcastic, and then Lakers/Knicks-age trolling?

See, this is why no one likes lawyers.

Heat bandwagon already jumping ship.

WXC4kzI.jpg

I don't think you understand what I was saying. He created a thread, starts ratcheting up the nonsense in here, a poster makes a valid argument, he responds by dismissing it, we both went to law school, and I wanted to poke fun at the fact that as a potential lawyer he couldn't see both sides and ended it with a "you don't understand." Happy?

That rationale doesn't even make any sense given your first post. You initially tried to argue about degrees of trouble. I point out that your use of SCOTUS has little to nothing to do with the example you provided. Now, you were playfully jabbing him about not seeing both sides of the argument?

What?

Not to mention Cloudy's point had already been addressed several times, as it was made immediately once the conversation started. Plus, it really isn't a good point, because one is naked sexual innuendo and the other is sexual innuendo that makes a point to express what you DO NOT identify as.

Mothman91

Fuck, I got class from 6:30 until 10:10. Teacher is cool and lets us out maybe around 9-9:30. I'm going to skip the second half during break, I am not going to miss a second of this game, fuck that.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
So Hibbert didn't win DPOTY cause all the media were watching the Grizzlies nonstop all year? Interesting.

Not what he was saying. Pacers finished 3rd in the East last year, and were on a national game broadcast 4 times this year. Grizzlies were 4th in the West last year, and were on a national game 9 times. The way he said what he said, however, was unacceptable.

Not what he was saying. Pacers finished 3rd in the East last year, and were on a national game broadcast 4 times this year. Grizzlies were 4th in the West last year, and were on a national game 9 times. The way he said what he said, however, was unacceptable.

Is that really what he was getting at? Pacers get less run than Memphis because Memphis plays teams people want to watch more often. The East has been pretty horrible for a while.

Anyway, enough people watched their games to make PG the most improved player... soooooo... he was just feeling himself a bit too much last night.

exarkun

That rationale doesn't even make any sense given your first post. You initially tried to argue about degrees of trouble. I point out that your use of SCOTUS has little to nothing to do with the example you provided. Now, you were playfully jabbing him about not seeing both sides of the argument?

What?

Not to mention Cloudy's point had already been addressed several times, as it was made immediately once the conversation started. Plus, it really isn't a good point, because one is naked sexual innuendo and the other is sexual innuendo that makes a point to express what you DO NOT identify as.

I bow out. Good game man.

Who would have thought not having birdman would have done so much damage to the heat despite them being a much better offensive team when he's not on the court?

I bow out. Good game man.

Who would have thought not having birdman would have done so much damage to the heat despite them being a much better offensive team when he's not on the court?

Bit misleading. They're worse with him because of how many minutes bron and bosh play as the bigs but in this series Spo won't let lebron guard west so he is keeping 2bigs in vs Indy starters. Birdman is imports in this scenario because he and haslem are they're only not atrocious bigs after bosh.

Jigolo

I think game 7 will be an intense game with the Heat coming out on top....and if they don't, none of the blame should be on Lebrons shoulders.

Wade implying that Lebron is trying to do too much is hilarious considering Lebron is the only player that has shown up in all of the games. Wade's ass needs to sit, he doesn't need more touches.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Is that really what he was getting at? Pacers get less run than Memphis because Memphis plays teams people want to watch more often. The East has been pretty horrible for a while.

Anyway, enough people watched their games to make PG the most improved player... soooooo... he was just feeling himself a bit too much last night.

I'd say that MIP is an award which can be determined substantially by only reading box scores, while DPOY is an award which you couldn't possibly determine without seeing a lot of games. And you're right, the East has been the lesser of the two conferences for awhile, but the Pacers still played the same collection of teams the Bulls, who were clearly not going to have Rose for most of the season, and yet the Bulls were on 19 times. They also played every team in the West the same two times as anyone in the East did.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Also, remember when I used to argue that Lebron makes his teammates worse?

VINDICATED

PBY

Banned

Hold up. Despite the fact that Bya is pretty much on point with what he's said so far, I have to push back against you saying that I'm trying to "ratchet up the nonsense"

There were some dumbfuck posts in here last night, and I was directly responding to those. With regards to the incident, I wrote up a nice little post about how its just one instance, and we probably shouldn't make sweeping character judgments based on one moment of ignorance, but that conversely, it serves no one well to just laugh off speech that is at best ignorant, and at worst hateful, regardless of the context or intention.

I made a thread in OT to kind of move the discussion out of here, because the way it was going this thread was about to be a graveyard with the level of stupid. I also kind of wanted to get the perspective of non-basketball fans.

But if I'm ratcheting up the hysteria for doing so, then fine.

Jesus Christ, all that for a "no homo"? I could see an apology of that magnitude being warranted if he'd actually dropped an f-bomb (gay slur version), but for no homo?

Fuck the way this society is headed.

Yeah. I don't want to live in a world with greater mutual respect and sensitivity.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Wade implied James is trying to do too much.

"We've got to do a good job of making sure me and Chris have our opportunities to succeed throughout the game."

Following the game, James tried to explain this shift in strategy.

"I mean, we can state the obvious; they're both struggling," James said of Wade and Bosh. "When you're struggling, the best thing to get is a layup or a dunk. [Wade] missed a couple of them ... Chris is struggling with his shot and him hurting his ankle didn't help."

0031_d66c.gif

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
If the Pacers win on Monday this season will have gone from the absolute worst ever, to just one of the worst ever.

Indiana's definitely gonna get the pipe

Mumei

wait, so "no homo" is the same as saying a clear slur now?

god damn Mumei would love you guys.

Since you were wondering, I don't think it's the same as saying a clear slur; I just think it's dumb and unnecessary and reflects poorly on the speaker.

And I already love all most some of you guys. <3

Yeah. I don't want to live in a world with greater mutual respect and sensitivity.

Hibbert's joke has very little to do with mutual respect and sensitivity.

But in economics terms, say we have a function with "mutual respect and sensitivity" on the x-axis, and "humor" on the y-axis, with a curve between them. At any point on that curve, you can draw a rectangle that represents total societal utility. I'd argue that we're well, WELL past the point where moving farther down the x-axis decreases overall utility by eliminating a larger amount of potential humor than it generates in mutual respect.

In other words, the tradeoff from humor to mutual respect and sensitivity is no longer worth it at this point on the curve. The rectangle gets wider, but it gets shorter by a larger amount, so it's a net loss.

Top Bottom