• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT3| Don't believe the pipe

u0u6tzV.png

huh, i didn't even realize the heat are just as if not even older than the spurs.

Then why the heck are the Spurs singled out?

Fi Fo Nye

Banned
Hibbert should just refuse to ever say anything more than necessary to the press ever again. I hope the only lesson this teaches him is never to embellish any rivalry in public ever again. Instead of being the charismatic player he was, he should save it all for the court, and be completely non-chalant off the court.

If the NBA wants to be so self-conscious about its image and about criticism against the current state of affairs, especially when criticism is coming from its own players, then Hibbert should just start being the most bland, boring interview ever. He should just act like he is socially awkward from now on.

He ought to just relish in the payday he will still get regardless of this $75k fine.

If the NBA wants politically correct, family conscious stars like LeBron James to be the public face, they should just let LeBron James give all the interviews from now on, so he can keep giving sound bites like, "the rest of you still have to get up and go to work in the morning," or my favorite gem, "flopping is not even a bad thing, it's just trying to get an advantage."

I hope the referees come out for Game 7 and just foul Hibbert out in the first quarter. Might as well.

I just played a fuckball classic with Smokey where he used the Pacers. LeBron had 41, 11, and 8 and Bosh wasn't worthless...actually he mostly was but better than game 6 bad. I even sat Wade to simulate his worthlessness! Thankfully I won in OT

If that's what it comes down to tomorrow..my heart

Hibbert should just refuse to ever say anything more than necessary to the press ever again. I hope the only lesson this teaches him is never to embellish any rivalry in public ever again. Instead of being the charismatic player he was, he should save it all for the court, and be completely non-chalant off the court.

If the NBA wants to be so self-conscious about its image and about criticism against the current state of affairs, especially when criticism is coming from its own players, then Hibbert should just start being the most bland, boring interview ever. He should just act like he is socially awkward from now on.

He ought to just relish in the payday he will still get regardless of this $75k fine.

If the NBA wants politically correct, family conscious stars like LeBron James to be the public face, they should just let LeBron James give all the interviews from now on, so he can keep giving sound bites like, "the rest of you still have to get up and go to work in the morning," or my favorite gem, "flopping is not even a bad thing, it's just trying to get an advantage."

I hope the referees come out for Game 7 and just foul Hibbert out in the first quarter. Might as well.

What?

Yeah man if he can't sling homophobic comments and profanity then why say anything at all? amirite?!

There are people in the Roy Hibbert thread who think that because he plays in Indiana he makes less

Do people think this shit is Baseball?

There are people in the Roy Hibbert thread who think that because he plays in Indiana he makes less

Do people think this shit is Baseball?

There are a lot of people on gaf that think athletes are uncultured over paid thugs. Does them not knowing shit about the pay system works surprise you?

There are a lot of people on gaf that think athletes are uncultured over paid thugs. Does them not knowing shit about the pay system works surprise you?

Yep. You'll often here that athletes make too much money and teachers should make more. It's like yes, teachers contribute more to society than athletes in many ways but there are thousands and thousands of people qualified to be teachers, not so much athletes. The money is still being made by the team but I suppose for these folks, the owners deserve to keep the vast majority (they already do) of the profits? I know I may be off base here but I truly believe a lot of it comes down to racism.

giri

Yep. You'll often here that athletes make too much money and teachers should make more. It's like yes, teachers contribute more to society than athletes in many ways but there are thousands and thousands of people qualified to be teachers, not so much athletes. The money is still being made by the team but I suppose for these folks, the owners deserve to keep the vast majority (they already do) of the profits? I know I may be off base here but I truly believe a lot of it comes down to racism.

Yep, off base.

Fi Fo Nye

Banned
Yeah man if he can't sling homophobic comments and profanity then why say anything at all? amirite?!

Yeah man because saying "no homo" is always automatically and necessarily by its very definition a homophobic slur.

No way could it possibly be a disclaimer to ward off any unintended puns, in order to specifically avoid becoming meme fodder and the butt of jokes like Chris Bosh has unwittingly become for the endless enjoyment of unrelenting and unmerciful masses of the internet.

Amirite?

Yeah man because saying "no homo" is always automatically and necessarily by its very definition a homophobic slur.

No way could it possibly be a disclaimer to ward off any unintended puns, in order to specifically avoid becoming meme fodder and the butt of jokes like Chris Bosh has unwittingly become for the endless enjoyment of unrelenting and unmerciful masses of the internet.

Amirite?
or it could just be an offensive joke/term that he shouldn't have used in a professional setting and he paid the price and that's that?

No one complains about how much an owner makes off a team (while being under no obligation to show their financials despite being state subsidized), but people sure do love to make small talk about the pay of athletes.

Amirite?

So he's very worried about being called gay. Why?

Fjordson

No one complains about how much an owner makes of a team (while being under no obligation to show their financials despite being state subsidized), but people sure do love to make small talk about the pay of athletes.
Haha, you're not wrong in some cases.

Owners have a sweet gig most of the time. Slide under the public radar (not all of 'em, but some) and rake in the dough.

giri

I don't think that it comes down to racism for everyone, obviously. But for a significant percentage I definitely think that it's one of the reasons.

Most of it has nothing to do with race and 90% of it is pure envy, surrounded by the pure greed.

All people are seeing is ticket prices sky rocketing, $15 hot dogs, players salaries going through the roof, but the average Joe is still making the same money.

For the record, i'm happy for the players salaries to be capped, and them make less, if more of the league profits went into funding grass roots basketball, and not into the owners pockets.

No one complains about how much an owner makes off a team (while being under no obligation to show their financials despite being state subsidized), but people sure do love to make small talk about the pay of athletes.

Yep. And in my own experience speaking to folks or reading comments, the most animosity is aimed at athletes whose sport is made up of primarily black and other minority players.

Fi Fo Nye

Banned
So he's very worried about being called gay. Why?

He just got fined for saying he's straight. If anything, he should be worried about that. That's why he ought to just never say anything other than, "good job, good effort," or, "it was a tough loss, but we'll make adjustments."

yo you need to cut your trolling down to 1-2 lines MAX

So what I can parse from Fi's rants: he's a working stiff who was pissed the LeBron reminded him of that and he's not gay, so he understands "no homo" being used as a valiant shield against gay jokes.

He just got fined for saying he's straight. If anything, he should be worried about that. That's why he ought to just never say anything other than, "good job, good effort," or, "it was a tough loss, but we'll make adjustments."

I think you can analyze basketball games and defensive strategy pretty easily without including offensive remarks.

Top Bottom