• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT3| Don't believe the pipe

Vestal

Lebron should come out with some new
dunks, though. The guy still has like a 67 inch vert as evidenced by that ridiculous oop he caught last night.

Could easily pull off a through the legs dunk if he tried.

67?!?!?! were did you come up with this number?

Looking at that jump last night... He is listed at 6'8, his head was slightly above the rim for a split second.. So a little math tells us..

His vertical leap from that dunk is around 41-42 inches.

I can't say I'm too concerned about Duncans age at this point. He's a 21, 12 and 3 player PER 36, with a drtg of 95 after slimming down 15 pounds.

And he's playing in what could be his last NBA games for a chip.

He's not leaving anything on the floor.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Duncan doesn't and has never had hibberts size. Seeing old man Duncan rotate over to help is a fucking greenlight if I've ever seen one vs Hibbert who 7 or 8 times out of ten can reach wherever your going.

Duncan is a great man defender against traditional bigs but he will get ate the fuck alive if he's pulled anywhere outside 10 ft. We got fucking Lebron driving to the hole if you haven't noticed.

what the fuck am I reading lmao

reilo

While he's wrong about Duncan never having the size and ability he's not wrong that Duncan is older and will not be able to stop LeBron nor the rest of the Heat players.

Well that's true if anyone actually argued that Duncan would single handily shut down Lebron and the rest of the Heat players.

While he's wrong about Duncan never having the size and ability he's not wrong that Duncan is older and will not be able to stop LeBron nor the rest of the Heat players.
they wont stop SA either. it will take the Spurs a game or two to adjust to MIA's blitzing of the pNr, cause you cant simulate their speed in a practice session. But they have too many good passers to not make MIA pay for overaggressive traps and defensive gambling.

reilo

The Heat got taken to 7 games against a Pacers team that poorly executed and had a bad bench. The Spurs don't have that problem.

The biggest difference is that the Spurs are a top 4 3PT shooting team, while the Pacers were bottom 10.

Well he doesn't have to do it by himself and it's not as if the Spurs have been poor defensively in the playoffs.

Also, it seems like people are taking Miami's defense as a given even though Indaina's Ortg was above their (20th in the league) average in 5 of the 7 games in that series. If I were a Heat fan I would be concerned about that. Popovich has had 10 days to construct schemes to face off against the Heat. He's pretty good at that.

Duncan doesn't and has never had hibberts size. Seeing old man Duncan rotate over to help is a fucking greenlight if I've ever seen one vs Hibbert who 7 or 8 times out of ten can reach wherever your going.

Duncan is a great man defender against traditional bigs but he will get ate the fuck alive if he's pulled anywhere outside 10 ft. We got fucking Lebron driving to the hole if you haven't noticed.

There's absolutely no way in hell Duncan can generate the size and length of Hibbert. He isn't half as imposing on defense.

lmao

First we heard that the Lakers' "dominating" frontline would give us fits

Then we heard that Andrew Bogut can guard Tim Duncan

And most recently we heard that MEM had an impossibly large advantage in their bigs

I can draw similar parallels for Tony (Norris Cole and Mario Chalmers are going to guard Tony? Really? What the fuck are they going to do that Tony Allen and Mike Conley couldn't?), but the amount of disrespect is shocking considering our pedigree. Its not just trolls like lark, but its been the media narrative the entire way.

Tim Duncan is the greatest defensive player of all time. Hes forgotten more basketball than Roy Hibbert has ever known (--disclaimer-- I love Roy Hibbert. But come on now).

He'll be fine.

Vestal

Well according to non Heat fans, it looks like Miami has no chance.. Lets pack it up folks its done..

Miami will get smoked from 3 point line
Miami will get burned for traping
Duncan + Splitter will be the new Great Wall of China
SAs bench is going to take dump on Miamis Bench..

*sigh* still over 48hrs till tip off.. I am sure it will get worse before then.

Vahagn

It's literally so remarkable how short people's memories are.

Now Pop is the GOAT coach? Really? Let's put aside Red and Phil for a second. How exactly is Pop better than Riley?

Riley can manage ego's as well as anyone in the history of the league, if not better. He's managed superstars in NY, LA, and Miami - not a small town without the same distractions like SA.

He coached 3 different franchises, with 3 totally different styles, in 3 different eras and was successful with all of them.

Pop is clearly the best coach in the league now, and one of the best all time...but people, seriously, act your damn age.

Well according to non Heat fans, it looks like Miami has no chance.. Lets pack it up folks its done..

Miami will get smoked from 3 point line
Miami will get burned for traping
Duncan + Splitter will be the new Great Wall of China
SAs bench is going to take dump on Miamis Bench..

*sigh* still over 48hrs till tip off.. I am sure it will get worse before then.

Truth hurts...

reilo

Now Pop is the GOAT coach? Really? Let's put aside Red and Phil for a second. How exactly is Pop better than Riley?

Riley can manage ego's as well as anyone in the history of the league, if not better. He's managed superstars in NY, LA, and Miami - not a small town without the same distractions like SA.

He coached 3 different franchises, with 3 totally different styles, in 3 different eras and was successful with all of them.

Pop is clearly the best coach in the league now, and one of the best all time...but people, seriously, act your damn age.

When was the last time Pop coached a sub-50 win team?

I know there were the Laker scrubs (like Devean George) that showed out in the triangle offense and got overpaid elsewhere by foolhardy GMs, but Im not convinced Phil Jackson develops players of modest talent as well as Pop.

Vestal

People also forget the debacle of 2011... Best record in the league and taken out in the first round.

reilo

People also forget the debacle of 2011... Best record in the league and taken out in the first round.

Heat fans also forget that 15-win season and the follow-up championship 44-win season in 2007 and first round sweep by a shit Bulls team.

KingGondo

Banned
Bad matchup in the first round (Memphis actually tanked to get the 8 seed) and weren't they also dealing with injuries?

This back-and-forth is mind-numbing. I'm excited for the Finals as a fan of basketball. Both teams are great in their own way.

Pretty hard to win when your entire big 3 is hobbled, and one of them has a fucking broken arm.

That '11 team was really good. Really, really good. Theres nothing to be ashamed of in that season. We started Richard Jefferson and Dejuan Blair but won 61 games. Our other bigs were Old Man Dice and 22 mpg Matt Bonner (note: not to be confused with 10 mpg Matt Bonner, who is a very valuable role player).

We were on pace for 70+ in a stacked West before the injuries ffs. Thats not a poor season; injuries can happen to any great team.

Vahagn

When was the last time Pop coached a sub-50 win team?

By that logic, Jerry Sloan is the greatest coach of all time. One sub 500 team in 22 years with the Jazz. Let Pop coach SA for 22 years, we'll see if he gets one losing season.

Also, obviously, Phil's never coached a sub 500 team either. Neither has Red

Pop is definitely better than Red and Phil scheme-wise. Red's offensive scheme was a catastrophe based around Red being unable to do simple math, The Triangle is almost unusable if you don't have a superstar and Phil purposefully gave up corner threes in his defensive scheme. Pop's offensive and defensive schemes are great and he's really willing to adapt.

Then again, Red allowed Russell to play like Russell and Phil got Shaq and Kobe focused for a few years (though their blowups probably should be brought up against Phil more) so they are all-time great coaches.

reilo

By that logic, Jerry Sloan is the greatest coach of all time. One sub 500 team in 22 years with the Jazz. Let Pop coach SA for 22 years, we'll see if he gets one losing season.

Huh? I said 50 WIN.

the problem with Indy was that they were bad ball handlers, bad passers against pressure D and even when they could get the ball to the open man, that man was Lance Stephenson or Sam Young, who are shaky as fuck from long range.

It seems like damn near everyone but Tim and Tiago can step outside and knock down three pointers for SA.

Vahagn

Huh? I said 50 WIN.

lol my bad, I thought i saw another 0 at the end of that.

Pop is definitely better than Red and Phil scheme-wise. Red's offensive scheme was a catastrophe based around Red being unable to do simple math, The Triangle is almost unusable if you don't have a superstar and Phil purposefully gave up corner threes in his defensive scheme. Pop's offensive and defensive schemes are great and he's really willing to adapt.

Then again, Red allowed Russell to play like Russell and Phil got Shaq and Kobe focused for a few years (though their blowups probably should be brought up against Phil more) so they are all-time great coaches.

I'm glad to see you think you understand X's and O's better than Phil. Glorious.

Also, obviously, Phil's never coached a sub 500 team either. Neither has Red

Pop is better at wrenching productivity out of no names.

reilo

lol my bad, I thought i saw another 0 at the end of that.

Pop just went 14 straight years with a 50-win team -- a majority of that built around the 28th and 57th pick in the draft, and that includes two lockout years. It would've been 16 had it not been for a 50 game lockout season.

I feel really bad for whoever ends up guarding Parker at any given time in this series. That person will have to fight through dozens of screens set by giant men. Mike Conley looked dead on the court in the 4th quarters of the last series.

Against OKC last year the Thunder could let Sefalosha expend tons of energy guarding TP because they didn't have to rely on his offense. I wonder what Chalmers/Cole/whoever will be able to give on the offensive end.

Vahagn

Pop just went 14 straight years with a 50-win team -- a majority of that built around the 28th and 57th pick in the draft, and that includes two lockout years. It would've been 16 had it not been for a 50 game lockout season.

The Mavs went like 11 years with 50 win teams too...that's not the determining factor of greatness in my eyes. It doesn't make Dirk a better player than KG in Minny for example.

But if you judge greatness by regular season win loss record...that's fine by me. Just don't pretend everyone should judge it that way, as if it's the great harbinger of success.

household names mean shit, Chi and LA are huge media markets. Sasha Vujacic was a household name FFS.

No dude, they were household names because of the productivity and constant winning. No one remembers 90% of the Knicks players in the Thomas years do they?

I'm glad to see you think you understand X's and O's better than Phil. Glorious.

No team today uses most of the stuff the Phil and Red used.

Then again, schemes evolve over time so it's unfair to diminish them too much for not being able to have as good of schemes in the 60s and 90s as teams in the 2010s.

Top Bottom