• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup |OT| Spa1n v The Netherland5

Status
Not open for further replies.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I'm sorry fellow Dutchmen, but the Spanish will absolutely tear our defenses apart.

image.php

sorry, too easy?

spekkeh

Banned
btw any dutch here get annoyed by the international use of Holland over Netherlands sometimes or are yall used to it?
Not at all, but I was born in Holland, so for me Holland practically is the Netherlands.
Anyway, 'the Netherlands' is a misnomer as well so it's not much better (it should include Flanders, just as 'Belgium' historically should include the Netherlands).

then where the hell did the word dutch come from?

it's kind of an annoying word to be honest.

like going dutch. or dubble dutch.

Dutch comes from the middle Dutch word Diets, or Diet, meaning simply 'the people' (denoting the people living in the northwestern part of Europe). It's etymologically the same as Deutsch -> Deutschland (Germany) country of the people.

The reason Dutch has a negative connotation in a large number of English idioms is because the English and Dutch were bitter (naval) rivals for over 200 years.

Well, minus Denmark obviously.

That's just not true, as someone living in Denmark I can say it's the second biggest city of Scandinavia. It's a shame Scandinavia didn't qualify, but our manager kept playing Zlatan that useless mofo instead of the best striker in the world Bendtner.

No not at all. I love the Danish. There movies are fantastic, there actors are brilliant, there tv shows are way better than ours. There writers and books are better. There government is better.We are only better with soccer I think than the Danish :D

And yet you steal all our players for your best team!

#GiveBackMathiasZankaJørgensen

Also seriously our authors suck mun

ghst

thanks for the laugh
dear netherlands, put four in spain's net and we'll consider a second glorious revolution.

yours,
england

Just saw that Vidal has been cleared to play.

Australia's even more fucked than they were before. Shit. 5-0 Chile coming up.

Anyway, GAF consensus on Mexico-Cameroon? Safe game to skip to increase sleeping time?

Blablurn

Anyway, GAF consensus on Mexico-Cameroon? Safe game to skip to increase sleeping time?

I think the Mexico game will be more interesting than the Australia one. Skip Australia.

Chuckie

then where the hell did the word dutch come from?

it's kind of an annoying word to be honest.

like going dutch. or dubble dutch.

Dutch comes from the word "Duytsch" it means something like 'people'.
Dutchies and Germans back then were referred to as 'Low Dutch' and 'High Dutch' but when the Dutchies became stronger on see, the term Dutch was used for the Low Dutch only.

Deutschland just means land of the people.

WriterGK

Well yes, I think. Cameroon are having lots of problems. I think it will be a boring 0-0 draw. Just focus on Spain-The Netherlands and Chili-Australia.

Arjen

That's just not true, as someone living in Denmark I can say it's the second biggest city of Scandinavia. It's a shame Scandinavia didn't qualify, but our manager kept playing Zlatan that useless mofo instead of the best striker in the world Bendtner.

And yet you steal all our players for your best team!

#GiveBackMathiasZankaJørgensen

Also seriously our authors suck mun

I'm more bummed that Copenhagen didn't qualify for this WC.
But everyone knows that's just from keeping Poulsen winning the Ballon d'or this year.

Pacbois

Wait, did Spain's quality fall down since last World Cup ? Everyone is either drawing their match or having Netherlands winning

They're not as good as they were 2/4 years ago on paper, but I guess most of these scores come from people who wish Spain will lose or draw (like me I guess).

WriterGK

I just think of them as Barcelona. They have won everything and now they will be stopped by some other countries. I hope they will finish second so that the referee and Brazil can kick Spain out the of the world cup.

I'm more bummed that Copenhagen didn't qualify for this WC.
But everyone knows that's just from keeping Poulsen winning the Ballon d'or this year.

He's not coming home. :(

Seems like he's retiring, he said he didn't want to go to some half crappy league just for money and that "I have no real dream about returning to Copenhagen". Such a cunt. People never really seemed to forgive him for that punch in the infamous match against Sweden.

Behind 0-3, come back to 3-3, lose 0-3 anyway as the ref calls off the game, after Christian Poulsen hits a Swedish player and then have a fan run onto the pitch to the hit the ref lol

Dutch-GAF shouldn't be so hesitant about their team's performance in today's game. You guys have a pretty solid team. IMO, that game is wide-open. It could honestly go either way.

As for my Mexican brehs, I'm hoping they can pull a victory. But most likely we'll get a 1-1 tie.

Firemind

Dutch comes from the middle Dutch word Diets, or Diet, meaning simply 'the people' (denoting the people living in the northwestern part of Europe). It's etymologically the same as Deutsch -> Deutschland (Germany) country of the people.

The reason Dutch has a negative connotation in a large number of English idioms is because the English and Dutch were bitter (naval) rivals for over 200 years.

Dutch comes from the word "Duytsch" it means something like 'people'.
Dutchies and Germans back then were referred to as 'Low Dutch' and 'High Dutch' but when the Dutchies became stronger on see, the term Dutch was used for the Low Dutch only.

Deutschland just means land of the people.

Ah, the English were just salty. Makes sense I suppose, since pundits always proclaim England to be one of the favourites. :lol

pulga

Banned
yellowcard.gif

You didnt see him? YOU BITCH!!!!!!!

Disgraceful little cunt, jealous of glorious Modric's Champions League medal. You don't get one of those when you're an utter flop in your joke club, Benchmar.

Clearly spots him and decides to elbow him in the face. Definite red, alas the ref was in the bag. Despicable.

Daigoro

i woke up with visions of Pitbull and his shirt tucked into those tight white pants, and that shitty call on that twats dive in the box last night.

that was NOT jogo bonito Brazil 2014! that was some ugly shit.

i expect better today.

edit: who am i kidding, the Dutch play today... someone save us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom