• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup |OT| Spa1n v The Netherland5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suprisingly entertaining game Chile vs Australia.

I was expecting the Australians to get slaughtered but they held themselves well and it became extremely enjoyable to watch.

Can't recall one dive from Australia the entire game.

Leckie took a very unconvincing one in the penalty box near the end.

Brazil was absolutely NOT crushed by Holland last time. They were up 1-0 most of the time and Holland had the benefit of a huge fail by JC.

Holland showed great football tonight, but it's not always that a keeper will fail twice like Casillas did. And the 3 CBs were kinda screwy, Bruno is an inexperienced player, Vrijj is inconsistent.

I'll wait to see how Holland fares against a better attack. Costa and Torres (lol) were not the best test to their defensive system at all.

Brasil totally lost their temper after the goals in 2010, remember Felipe Mello's red card? The team got shattered after suffering even one goal. Yes, today the team is different, but the pressure of facing a hard team and losing the advantage would be even bigger today than it was in 2010, something that Netherlands could easily take advantage of. Today Spain didn't resort to tackles and fouls even after that massacre, I strongly believe that it would not be the same if the opponent was Brasil, they would get insanely mad.

Edit: Also, I give more merit on Sneijder's free kick ability than on JC's failure, seeing that he made almost the same thing happen today on Netherlands third goal.

Jimrpg

Great games in group B today..

Robben and robin destroyed the Spain centre halves today.... Perfect tactics after the break from the Dutch... I can't stop watching the gifs, the technique for the first RVP goal is world class.

Bad luck Aussies, what a great effort, yeah on paper, they are second rate, but not enough gaffers here giving them credit. They completely outplayed chile for about 60 minutes and had enough chances to win. Sampaoli didn't make enough tactical adjustments and leckie kept beating the Chilean full back. Oar needed a bit more composure tho. Score line does not do them justice. They can't get out of the group now effectively, even if they draw and win against Netherlands and Spain it won't be enough.

Also Cahill :heart:, as an Aussie and evertonian, guy is all David v Goliath.

And unbeatable in the air, unbeatable!

LNBL

umykat.gif

So I just got back from watching the game down at the FIFA fanfest in Fortaleza...

Whilst I am utterly disappointed and dejected we didn't win, I honestly thought we (Australia) would and so do not feel great now. We had to win to have any chance of progressing the group.

We had chances and I thought the referring was ok.

However I am generally happy with our performance. Did we deserve to win, probably not, but a draw would have been fair in my opinion. Chile was out of ideas early and we're gifted a couple of goals from the Aussies though lapses of concentration from our very inexperienced back four (less than 50 caps between the five players who played in the back four tonight).

We will be back and try just as hard against ned and Spain so they should be wary.

However I am most optimistic about 2018 and 2022 world cups now that we have a coach that seems to know what he is doing and use the best players possible. For those outside of Australia, this was tipped to be our worst team ever and the new coach had only had the team for four matches before this one. He had some balls and cut a lot of experience with an eye on the next World Cup more than anything else.

Off the top of my head we have four of our starters not playing tonight (good, rogic, kruse and Williams) who are all contracted to top European teams. Add to them, the dozen or so younger Aussies currently at European powerhouse reserve and youth teams (I.e. Liverpool, Dortmund, Man City, lazio, Valencia, and Roma to name a few) and we will have a decent squad and team to pick from in 2018 and really challenge fro in 2022.

I know there is still a lot to go in this tournament, but I am currently proud and very optimistic.

We'll done chile. You deserved to win tonight but I do not think you are that much better than the scoreline said. This group is still wide open in my mind.

Zabojnik

Oh they do. Italy depends on a player as old as Xavi and on one as bad as Torres, and stupid on top of that.

And their keeper is as past his prime as Casillas.

I'm not saying England is much better (though I think it is, but that's debatable), but Italy hasn't showed anything to convince anyone they are capable of claiming the title this time.

Disagree pretty much about everything.

verratti.jpeg

England gonna get schooled. Also, when did Italy ever show they were capable of claiming the title?
In all seriousness, I think England are favourites for tomorrow. Italy has the better players, but I'm not sure how much of a squad they are this time around.

danreis

2 days. 4 games. 15 goals (and 2 more denied by the referee).

After 2010, this is an amazing start for this WC.

On a side, brazilian, note: i went to Savassi tonight - a very famous neighborhood here in Belo Horizonte, well know for the large numbers of bars and pubs. It's a very traditional place in a city that is kinda of the "bar capital of Brazil" (our motto, by the way, is something like "beach is too far, lets go to the bar").

I did watch Chile and Australia with thousands of colombians, some brazilians and a few greeks. It was a blast. Very nice atmosphere, everybody chanting, drinking beer and just chiling. Lots of families and kids, everybody happy and excited. This is the first time that i feel like a World Cup is happening and the city is hosting it. Since last june, after all riots, everything here about the World Cup were fear and resentment. It's good to see some of the concerns going away and more people embracing the tourists.

Tomorrow will be a very important day, because its the first match in Belo Horizonte. Yesterday we had a few minors riots, and some social movements are trying to organize a bigger one tomorrow. I hope everything goes well and don't break this party feeling that is starting tonight.

Australia is a young squad, but they are going to be in trouble when Cahill and Bresciano retired.

No, we have better players coming through: ikonomidis (lazio), de silva (Roma), Jimenez (Villarreal), amini (Dortmund) and add to them, kruse, Williams, Rogic and good all injured for this cup.

In four years time we will be much better than now.

Mobius 1

2 days. 4 games. 15 goals (and 2 more denied by the referee).

After 2010, this is an amazing start for this WC.

On a side, brazilian, note: i went to Savassi tonight - a very famous neighborhood here in Belo Horizonte, well know for the large numbers of bars and pubs. It's a very traditional place in a city that is kinda of the "bar capital of Brazil" (our motto, by the way, is something like "beach is too far, lets go to the bar").

I did watch Chile and Australia with thousands of colombians, some brazilians and a few greeks. It was a blast. Very nice atmosphere, everybody chanting, drinking beer and just chiling. Lots of families and kids, everybody happy and excited. This is the first time that i feel like a World Cup is happening and the city is hosting it. Since last june, after all riots, everything here about the World Cup were fear and resentment. It's good to see some of the concerns going away and more people embracing the tourists.

Tomorrow will be a very important day, because its the first match in Belo Horizonte. Yesterday we had a few minors riots, and some social movements are trying to organize a bigger one tomorrow. I hope everything goes well and don't break this party feeling that is starting tonight.

Hello fellow Belzontino! Have some tropeiro for me, I'm 8,000km away :(

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
If Chile can draw against Spain then they are most likely through. If that happens, Chile still has a +6 goal difference going into the groups final round, with Holland just requiring a draw to win the group. No way that spain catches up to that.

Ok, Germany is better than Italy, but I don't think Holland should fear Brasil, not at all. Yes, they are a good team that is also playing with home advantage, but if they meet the same Netherlands that played today they will be absolutely crushed, more than when they were eliminated in 2010.
Germany are better than Italy....except when Germany play Italy, right?

just caught up on the spain - ned game

what a goal van persie

lol casillas

FIVE - ONE?!?!??!

holy shieeiiiititt

Yep, that was a beautiful match.

Edit:

Germany are better than Italy....except when Germany play Italy, right?

Ok, I'm not actually that much into the history of all the matches, I just remember some of them. Still, that's why I put both of them as the ones that could stop Netherlands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom