• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup |OT| Spa1n v The Netherland5

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
but we already know Beckerman is hitting a 65 yd wunderstrike to win the tournament.

I0a5WrJ.gif

Predictions on world cup opener?
I say Brazil 2-1 Croatia.

I doubt Croatia is even going to get one. Having said that, can you imagine if Brazil loses that match? Holy shit dude, I sort of want to see it happen just for the reactions.

Growing up as a child in Argentina, you could feel the excitement in the air as the World Cup drew near.

Trying to drum up interest and support among my coworkers here in the US is an exercise of futility. There are certainly some amazing fans in this country, but the sport isn't anywhere near mainstream and people are very wishy-washy about it. "Soccer is boring." "Nobody ever scores." "It's good if you want to take a nap."

My most successful ploy so far was to have everyone fill out brackets (Americans LOVE brackets!) and select a non-US team to learn about and cheer for during the tournament. I have nine participants, and it brings me joy to see them looking into the names of the players on the teams and asking who the stars are. One guy asked me: "Did this dude really bite a guy on the arm?" :)

I'm rooting for Argentina, but my office now has people cheering for Brazil, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Uruguay, England, Australia, and South Korea. Should make things a lot more interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqoDLBbRZlM

Only thing that'll semi-bother me will be having to switch from ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC to catch the next game.
Wish every game was on 1 channel (ESPN) with continuing covereage the whole day with highlights, team profiles, misc. footage from Brazil, etc.

The vast majority of the games are on ESPN. There are only eleven total matches on ESPN2, and all but one of those are in the knockout rounds. They tend to be less popular teams and usually when there is another match going on concurrently.

ABC will exclusively televise games during the weekends (Saturday and Sunday). That includes the Final.

Full TV schedule.

I lived in Mendoza for four years before moving to Buenos Aires for the next eight. I recognize that stadium. Small world.

Croatia have some real talent and talent for the future this could be a break out WC for Kovacic.

Also Modric and Rakitic have had brilliant seasons in Spain and if Mandzukic can be on point up front I believe they can reach the last 16.

Tubie

Predictions on world cup opener?
I say Brazil 2-1 Croatia.

It's going to be Brazil by multiple goals or 0-0. I think Croatia can actually pull a tie off. They are good with possession, but are not as good at scoring (specially without Mandzukic).

Filaipus

Banned
10 hours for the first game!

And Portugal will lose so badly in this world cup....

BUT I STILL WANT THEM TO WIN! GO PORTUGAL, SCREW YOU BLOND GUYS!~

PS: Does anyone know a USA TVchannel that will show the world cup? With decente people comenting over?

Acorn

10 hours for the first game!

And Portugal will lose so badly in this world cup....

BUT I STILL WANT THEM TO WIN! GO PORTUGAL, SCREW YOU BLOND GUYS!~

PS: Does anyone know a USA TVchannel that will show the world cup? With decente people comenting over?
12:15 but still close!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom