• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup |OT| Spa1n v The Netherland5

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbm24

World Cup is almost here, I don't want to sleep as I wait. Gonna be at work for the first game but I will be watching. Here's to a good World Cup and whoever wins, wins. Best of luck to the other countries, I have high hopes for my second motherland.

Growing up as a child in Argentina, you could feel the excitement in the air as the World Cup drew near.

Trying to drum up interest and support among my coworkers here in the US is an exercise of futility. There are certainly some amazing fans in this country, but the sport isn't anywhere near mainstream and people are very wishy-washy about it. "Soccer is boring." "Nobody ever scores." "It's good if you want to take a nap."

My most successful ploy so far was to have everyone fill out brackets (Americans LOVE brackets!) and select a non-US team to learn about and cheer for during the tournament. I have nine participants, and it brings me joy to see them looking into the names of the players on the teams and asking who the stars are. One guy asked me: "Did this dude really bite a guy on the arm?" :)

I'm rooting for Argentina, but my office now has people cheering for Brazil, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Uruguay, England, Australia, and South Korea. Should make things a lot more interesting.

The Cowboy

Friday is going to be the least productive day for every country in the world...
Man i remember 4 years ago at work, never had i seen so many iPads/Laptops on desks and people in the canteen area (it had a 42" TV in it) - good times :D.

(Our place of work allowed TVs etc to watch all matches during working hours).

Talon

nice Josh Smith dig.
Dude, I was unstoppable in NBA 2k9 with Josh Smith. He was on some Bo Jackson-level shit in that game.
Man i remember 4 years ago at work, never had i seen so many iPads/Laptops on desks and people in the canteen area (it had a 42" TV in it) - good times :D.

(Our place of work allowed TVs etc to watch all matches during working hours).
I work from home and don't have any major deadlines that day...so...

It would be an incredible spectacle to start the cup off with.

Big picture? I am hoping for great games, no drama, and an eventual German victory.

Tomorrow can't get here fast enough!

Why would you want a lack of drama? Controversial, dramatic football is best football

Opening match begins as I start work :(

Just gotta shift work by one hour to catch all 3 of England's games though, then got a fortnight off over the knockout rounds :D

Lurking this thread for the reactions of the opening ceremony, which is probably going to be ridiculously stupid.

(am brazillian)

Daigoro

so what's up with the little tidbits I've been reading about TIME OUTS being introduced in this WC?

is this actually happening?

I guess I can see it, with the extreme heat/humidity, as long as they are very short. but it will be weird if it actually happens.

Omikron

Realisation that I have tomorrow off work so can actual get up and watch the first game. Going to be brutal on my sleeping patterns as a whole though being in Australia.

so what's up with the little tidbits I've been reading about TIME OUTS being introduced in this WC?

is this actually happening?

I guess I can see it, with the extreme heat/humidity, as long as they are very short. but it will be weird if it actually happens.

Think I heard it mentioned that there'll be a maximum of 4 drinks breaks per match. A lot of them will be incorporated into substitutions/injuries probably, so shouldn't slow the matches down too much

Only thing that'll semi-bother me will be having to switch from ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC to catch the next game.
Wish every game was on 1 channel (ESPN) with continuing covereage the whole day with highlights, team profiles, misc. footage from Brazil, etc.

Daigoro

Think I heard it mentioned that there'll be a maximum of 4 drinks breaks per match. A lot of them will be incorporated into substitutions/injuries probably, so shouldn't slow the matches down too much

that makes sense.

WC related:

Im loving the fact that my cable internet installed last year has worked flawlessly until just this past weekend when it an outage occurred for about a full day. when it came back up it was either very slow or fluctuated on and off for about 24 hours.

24 hrs before WC 2014 begins it craps out again, briefly. got me legit shook, but just seems to be timed so typically perfectly fucked. fucking fuck Comcast. if I had ANY other options in my area for reasonable speeds I would have taken them over Comcast in a heartbeat. hate that shithole company.

thanks god for UNIVISION. I wish ABC was airing the whole cup like they did for 2010. but free OTA HD comes out for everyone and broadcast TV drops the fucking ball. NBC needs to wake the fuck up (best OTA HD by a country mile), but they'd just broadcast 80% of their games on that shitty NBC sports cable channel anyways.

wake up America. this is the World Cup bitches.

lets go YANKS!

caesar

Banned
Only thing that'll semi-bother me will be having to switch from ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC to catch the next game.
Wish every game was on 1 channel (ESPN) with continuing covereage the whole day with highlights, team profiles, misc. footage from Brazil, etc.

Get on dat iplayer.

It's called Univision...

feel

Wish there was more than 1 match tomorrow (today for some), I fully expect BRA v CRO to be underwhelming. Can't wait for the football overload from day 2 onwards.

Canada GAF; CBC will be also streaming the games online for free. They did a great job with the Winter Olympics

as for TV..... PVRing all the games that interest me

pgtl_10

The Washington Post says Ghana will finish 4th. Washing Post are either being American homer or dismissing Ghana because they are all black players.

PopeReal

World Cup almost here! So excited, it was a long 4 year wait. And a very crazy and stressful one for me. Going to lock my door and shut off my phone while the games are on, no one is going bother me and ruin my fun. :p

Hunter S.

The Washington Post says Ghana will finish 4th. Washing Post are either being American homer or dismissing Ghana because they are all black players.

I doubt it is neither. Ummmm... Have you seen any American sports and how many blacks we cheer for all year around? SMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom