• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

Scaled with a sharpening filter:
ibuZkJb59Tsgqg.jpg

Low Quality here:
jbsmQnl1dhsyP5.jpg

8K Screenshot here:
http://i7.minus.com/ibsmQnl1dhsyP5.jpg

Played it 2 times on 360, now (finally without hud) on pc, it is kinda interesting that you can zoom all over the entire map at any given time in the game and it is all loading in. They really went into this game as an open world game.

14156333262_255ffa6bee_o.jpg

14156333592_1fdc77c2e2_o.jpg

One big difference I noticed in POM is that there is actual depth added, not just pseudo depth that breaks at sharp angles.

POM seems like it would be incredible in 3D.
POM will still break at extreme grazing angles. At those moments in games though you should be using tessellation for that style of silhouette detail (metro last light did this, and it generally looks fantastic), or something that crytek developed called PADM (or silhouette POM).

Tesselation still has the added benefit of chaning the contours of shadows running across tessellated surfaces. Something that POM cannot do to my knowledge.

Spazznid

That Lili game, is CA only being applied to the character? Seems like she has her own CA layer or something.

And a general question.
What car/racing games are the most fun to screenshot?

xr_3da.exe_dx9_201405i9ina.jpg

xr_3da.exe_dx9_201405saflx.jpg

I like the lighting in this game and some of the outdoor vegetation is really well done. That said, I found the game really frustrating (not being able to sprint for longer, the level design, and the many bugs... yeah Stalker I know)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
They load really slow for me, I am trying out Minus right now. I kinda like their desktop tool when it works.

For a lot of people, Minus has really rotten load speeds.

I can't tell you the number of times this thread has fully loaded, except for like 3 separate Minus images that take 3 minutes longer than everything else.

As I always do, I recommend Sta.sh for hosting. Host's the identical file so no quality degradation, you get a lot of space, and it's run by the same server host as DeviantArt, so you know that it's really reliable.

The load speeds are great and I've been using them for a while now with absolutely zero issues. I love it.

GavinUK86

I can't tell you the number of times this thread has fully loaded, except for like 3 separate Minus images that take 3 minutes longer than everything else.

As I always do, I recommend Sta.sh for hosting. Host's the identical file so no quality degradation, you get a lot of space, and it's run by the same server host as DeviantArt, so you know that it's really reliable.

The load speeds are great and I've been using them for a while now with absolutely zero issues. I love it.

Yeah I agree. I've been using sta.sh for a few things and not one problem so far.

Parsnip

I use Sta.sh as well, after Alo recommended it a while back.

So, is it possible to turn off CA in that Lili game, or at least tone it down considerably? It looks pretty extreme on those shots.

Nice, Like that that they FTP Access. Makes uploading easy.

72850_2014_03_30_00002_by_pocky4th3win-d7hytyd.png

72850_2014_03_30_00003_by_pocky4th3win-d7hytzi.png

That Lili game, is CA only being applied to the character? Seems like she has her own CA layer or something.

And a general question.
What car/racing games are the most fun to screenshot?

It seems Lili is using a circular vignette to only CA the outer edges of the screen, which sorta references how lenses act sometimes.

And:
MOST WANTED.
MOST WANTED.
MOST WANTED.
SO GEWWWWDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.

nfs13_2013_11_27_23_47_16_229_by_roderickartist-d7hyz9r.png

random shot I don't think I ever uploaded.

Really, it is so damn *fun* to screenshot.
Screw Rivals.

Teleporter

Looks amazing, and wow I didn't even notice the CA before. It's only applied what seems like certain parts of the screen. Like the bottom and bottom left.

How intresting. Destiny seems to have done a similar thing.

Is gonna be any combat in this? or just casual exploration! lots of Zelda WW vibes on this! Very nice!

GavinUK86

Is gonna be any combat in this? or just casual exploration! lots of Zelda WW vibes on this! Very nice!

Doesn't really have combat as such. You chase down enemies and jump on their backs which triggers a minigame where you pick the correct flowers off it's back while avoiding the poisonous ones.

Jedi2016

Alright, as a lover of CA, why is the bottom half of her legs always SUPER strongly color separated?
Because it's yet another developer that doesn't have a fucking clue what CA actually is or how it works. It's already turning into a severely overused effect, done without purpose, just to tick off another checkbox of "fancy effects", and we've only just begun.

Given it's polarizing nature, I would hope devs give us the option to turn it off in cases like this (where it's used in such a ridiculously stupid way), even if we have to go to the config files to do it.

GavinUK86

Because it's yet another developer that doesn't have a fucking clue what CA actually is or how it works. It's already turning into a severely overused effect, done without purpose, just to tick off another checkbox of "fancy effects", and we've only just begun.

Given it's polarizing nature, I would hope devs give us the option to turn it off in cases like this (where it's used in such a ridiculously stupid way), even if we have to go to the config files to do it.

Well, even if you think that's true, it's a bit harsh. 6 former Epic developers made this game for iOS a few years back. Apart from the overuse of CA it's a pretty gorgeous game.

----------

Just got my hands on this Caffeine UE4 demo and while it's a bit rough at this early stage I can definitely see the creepy atmosphere the guy is trying to create. Getting a serious Alien: Isolation feel.

003_by_gavinuk86-d7hyzpq.png

004_by_gavinuk86-d7hyzpe.png

Faith

I want to play this Caffeine demo so badly, but I can't bring it to start.

2incgu8i.png

Tried every solution that I found on the internet, nothing helps.

GavinUK86

I want to play this Caffeine demo so badly, but I can't bring it to start.

2incgu8i.png

Tried every solution that I found on the internet, nothing helps.

It says on the indiedb page "UPDATE: if you are getting a missing .dll error grab the new C++ Redist 2013 (x86 version) from Microsoft's website, this will be included with future updates."

Top Bottom