• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Finals |OT| Some dude guarantees they will win it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

effzee

So Game 4 predictions!

WHO YA GOT

Rooting for the Heat but I just think the Spurs are the superior team and will win.

BTW on the Melo talk:

I don't think they will form a big 4 even if they could. Wade helped build this big 3 and obviously Miami was his team but I think he is on his way out. Bosh already said he would be willing to take less to stay in Miami. He loves playing and living there. Wade on the other hand said he wasn't going to take a cut just to stay and that its something they "meaning the FO" would have to figure out to make work.

Considering he can't be counted on to play a full season and even when rested and healthy his game has dropped off I don't see Miami bending over backwards to make him happy or keep him. Especially if they lose this series to the Spurs. In this scenario I can see them moving Wade to then make a move to get Melo.

And while they all did take less than what they could have taken, they obviously won't play for far under market value. Especially now when the motivation might not be rings since they already have 2.

You said it wasn't about the money, but about winning rings. And correct me if i'm mistaking you for someone else, but I also remember you saying that LeBron/Wade/Bosh should be credited for taking less money to go to Miami -- as if it were some sort of sacrifice.

Yeah they should be. They didn't take $0 dollars and with endorsements and other business deals they are all getting paid obscene amounts of money. I never claimed they were broke or even underpaid. But yes to play all three together, they all took less than what they could have gotten from their own teams or other teams. Which in this day and age where every FA decision seems to be about who can offer me the most was refreshing. To some players even leaving a few millions on the table is a sacrifice.

On staying true to your fanbase, LeBron was "The King" of Cleveland and all of Ohio. Being traded was never something he'd have to worry about because he WAS the Cleveland Cavaliers. It was his franchise, his city, and he bailed on them.

On ESPN, do you watch them? They slurp LeBron 24/7, and have applauded him for leaving Cleveland pretty much because they weren't worthy of his greatness. All of his teammates over there have been thrown under the bus by ESPN and even LeBron himself.

This is a lie. Show me when and where they said this. This reeks of you just imagining this in your head because unlike you and the Lebron detractors, they don't hate him. You want them to talk about Lebron the way you as a fan do and they won't so in your head that means they applaud him leaving Cleveland. Just not true. Even the worst athlete they cover, they will cover to death but never take a strong stance one way or the other. Their job is just keep viewers glued.

They have different commentators, former players, and basketball experts who have had a wide range of opinions from both positive to negative but the company line would never ever applaud or hate.

And you ever stop to think they "slurp him" because a. he is the best player in the league b. two time champ c. 4 time league MVP and finally and probably most importantly d. a lightning rod figure who brings in massive amounts of viewers, ratings, and thus revenue for them?

This just seems so pathetic on the people who don't like Lebron.

"But mommy why does ESPN talk about Lebron all the time? I don't like him and I think he did a bad thing but everyone else seems to like why o why do they talk about him!!!???"

BadAss2961

This is a lie. Show me when and where they said this. This reeks of you just imagining this in your head because unlike you and the Lebron detractors, they don't hate him. You want them to talk about Lebron the way you as a fan do and they won't so in your head that means they applaud him leaving Cleveland. Just not true. Even the worst athlete they cover, they will cover to death but never take a strong stance one way or the other. Their job is just keep viewers glued.

They have different commentators, former players, and basketball experts who have had a wide range of opinions from both positive to negative but the company line would never ever applaud or hate.

And you ever stop to think they "slurp him" because a. he is the best player in the league b. two time champ c. 4 time league MVP and finally and probably most importantly d. a lightning rod figure who brings in massive amounts of viewers, ratings, and thus revenue for them?

This just seems so pathetic on the people who don't like Lebron.

"But mommy why does ESPN talk about Lebron all the time? I don't like him and I think he did a bad thing but everyone else seems to like why o why do they talk about him!!!???"
It's not a lie. When defending LeBron's decision to go to Miami, ESPN analysts often criticize not only Cleveland's management, but the players LeBron was playing with. LeBron himself threw both his current and former teammates under the bus before when after getting his ass kicked in some playoff game, he said "it reminds me of my Cleveland days" in response to question about Miami's performance. And ESPN proceeded to run with that as fact, shitting all over Wade, Bosh, and everyone else. "The King" needs more help!

Woe is LeBron with his struggling all-star team.

J2 Cool

Its good for the league in terms of ratings, it sucks for the league in terms of fans who support other teams.

People will fucking watch a "Big 4", because the level of hate for Heat will reach another tier.

The perfect story would be Heat to lose to Spurs now and then get Melo. The narrative is perfect. A Hollywood writer could not script this shit.

Yea i might quit watching at that point. And hope for acl tears.

BadAss2961

That was some messed up shit with the mop boy.

currylzucc.gif

Let's not forget about his great D on Steph Curry.

Pimpwerx

I've been avoiding sports media since the loss. I didn't realize the Melo to Miami talk was anything but a poor dream. Seems like there's some smoke. That would be so damn sweet. PEACE.

effzee

It's not a lie. When defending LeBron's decision to go to Miami, ESPN analysts often criticize not only Cleveland's management, but the players LeBron was playing with. LeBron himself threw both his current and former teammates under the bus before when after getting his ass kicked in some playoff game, he said "it reminds me of my Cleveland days" in response to question about Miami's performance. And ESPN proceeded to run with that as fact, shitting all over Wade, Bosh, and everyone else. "The King" needs more help!

Woe is LeBron with his struggling all-star team.

So again you want ESPN to echo your own personal beliefs and because they don't, they must be "defending" or "applauding Lebron".

What you stated are the facts. Everyone knows that the only reason that Cleveland team was relevant or good was because of Lebron? That he might have taken, after AI in 2001, the worst team overall to the finals. Do we agree on this?

So anyone or in this case ESPN mentioning how bad Cleveland's management is or how bad the team was is stating a fact. A FACT.

Not some made up defense for Lebron.

What would be clearly taking one side over another would be if even after recognizing that Cleveland had a terrible supporting cast, a moron for an owner who treated Lebron like property, and an incompetent FO, Lebron should have just stayed. Should have just stayed just cause. Because supposedly Jordan would have. Or because he should have just waited for the team to get good. For the FO to get it together. You know the same way you and other illogical fans think when they criticize Lebron for leaving.

If ESPN had done something like that it would make sense for someone to point it out that hey they are taking a side. Stating that the Cavaliers weren't that good and their FO still isn't good is just stating facts.

Lebron mentioning "it reminded him of his Cleveland days" simply means it was a game where he had to do everything and try to score 35+ to win. Which is exactly why he left Cleveland because he realized he couldn't win a ring playing that way no help from his teammates.

I don't understand Effzee's thought process when it comes to the Heat whatsoever.

What don't you understand?

My main position is that there is no conspiracy by the NBA, refs, or even ESPN (lol at this even being a real thought) to proper Lebron to some level that he isn't already on.

If the NBA was fixing the games or finals, Spurs would never be "allowed" to make it to the finals so many times. OKC wouldn't be runner up. Miami itself is a small market. Pacers wouldn't be good.

The refs aren't out to get the Spurs or paid off by the Heat. Every superstar in the existence of the league has gotten disproportional calls. But alone in this series, 2 out of the 3 games Spurs gone to the FT line more. Miami has been in foul trouble. And in this last game 2 out of the 4 quarters Miami was already over the foul limit around the 6 min mark.

And finally ESPN only cares about covering the highest ratings news story which is Lebron. When its NFL season they barely touch on the NBA. Its why they cover guys like Tebow or JFF who either flat out suck or haven't done shit yet in the league. Why its always Yankees/Redsox, Puig, Woods, Manning, Brady, and Lebron.

Seems like all these guys go through intense mental gymnastics to first condemn Lebron for leaving and teaming up with good teammates, which is pretty much a requirement to get a ring in the NBA since forever. Then when they can't attack that they come up with wild child like theories where everyone is out to get them, the fan of the "other" team.

Halcyon

I have no idea who is going to win tonight. I can't imagine the Spurs shooting 100% from the field again and scoring 90 by the half, but I wouldn't have thought that happens last game either.

spurs by about 20 tonight. game 3 was the rubber match and the spurs decisively handled the heat with relative ease. spurs are in the heat head and lebron is all alone out there.

BadAss2961

So again you want ESPN to echo your own personal beliefs and because they don't, they must be "defending" or "applauding Lebron".

What you stated are the facts. Everyone knows that the only reason that Cleveland team was relevant or good was because of Lebron? That he might have taken, after AI in 2001, the worst team overall to the finals. Do we agree on this?

So anyone or in this case ESPN mentioning how bad Cleveland's management is or how bad the team was is stating a fact. A FACT.

Not some made up defense for Lebron.

What would be clearly taking one side over another would be if even after recognizing that Cleveland had a terrible supporting cast, a moron for an owner who treated Lebron like property, and an incompetent FO, Lebron should have just stayed. Should have just stayed just cause. Because supposedly Jordan would have. Or because he should have just waited for the team to get good. For the FO to get it together. You know the same way you and other illogical fans think when they criticize Lebron for leaving.

If ESPN had done something like that it would make sense for someone to point it out that hey they are taking a side. Stating that the Cavaliers weren't that good and their FO still isn't good is just stating facts.

Lebron mentioning "it reminded him of his Cleveland days" simply means it was a game where he had to do everything and try to score 35+ to win. Which is exactly why he left Cleveland because he realized he couldn't win a ring playing that way no help from his teammates.
You really don't see how that's throwing your teammates under the bus?

This idea that Cleveland was total trash is bullshit. In their last couple seasons with LeBron, Cleveland had more wins during the regular season than any of these Heat teams. This mostly has to do with how lazy Miami is, but you don't get that with a team that's garbage.

Cleveland was clicking on all cylinders, and were the favorites to at least meet up with Kobe in the finals. One year they lost to Boston, fine. But the other year, LeBron lost to Dwight who had a team just as "trash" as his.
I've been lurking this thread, I thought you guys might like this.

i6gazLxqSHGkJ.gif

lol... I like how Kobe's reaction fits.

I predict the spurs have a bad shooting night, especially from three. But their ball movement and ability to get the line save them. Heat come out aggressive, peter off, then close really strong. 102-93 Miami

I've been lurking this thread, I thought you guys might like this.

i6gazLxqSHGkJ.gif

I like that Joey blows up and everybody decides to help the guy who fell down instead, even the other ref. Very realistic.

BadAss2961

I want the greatest NBA2K team ever!
This is the gist of my Bulls franchise in NBA2K14. Only in my second season and pulled this off already...

Derrick Rose
Paul George/Victor Oladipo
Jimmy Butler
Lamarcus Aldridge
Joakim Noah/JaVale McGee

I'm the greatest GM ever.

effzee

Ok sure if you want to take that from the statement fine he threw his teammates under the bus. But is this unprecedented? Something so offensive? We have seen coaches call out their stars, their teams, and other teammates call out their own team for not playing up to par.

This idea that Cleveland was total trash is bullshit. In their last couple seasons with LeBron, Cleveland had more wins during the regular season than any of these Heat teams. This mostly has to do with how lazy Miami is, but you don't get that with a team that's garbage.

Cleveland was clicking on all cylinders, and were the favorites to at least meet up with Kobe in the finals. One year they lost to Boston, fine. But the other year, LeBron lost to Dwight who had a team just as "trash" as his.

This is where you lose any and all credibility. The same Cavs team plummeted to the bottom of the league the second Lebron left. So they were held together only by Lebron. Miami coasts in the regular season and still ends up the #1 or #2 seed. Those Cavs teams were on a mission because the other 4 weren't already champs, proven, or all stars.

But anytime a team just falls off the face of the earth it shows they stink. What does losing to the Magic prove anything? Just they weren't great to begin with?

If Miami lost Lebron tonight and the rest of the team remained the same, they would still be a good team. Cleveland didn't remain good. Now they are selecting #1 overall for the 3rd time since Leborn left.

You can't have it both ways. On the one side you argue that there should be no sympathy for Lebron currently because he has all stars and the best supporting cast but then you also try to claim he had a good team in Cleveland. No he didn't. He didn't have good coach, a good team, or a good FO. They have all proven to be terrible without Lebron there.

lol... I like how Kobe's reaction fits.

To build on this. LeBron wasn't always allowing his trash to be that trashy.

He got a bit fat and happy in Cleveland.
He was missing 3.4 3-pointers per game his last year.

Missed 4 a game in Feb-March on a chuckapalooza streak.

That is not how you round a team into playoff form.

LeBron had to address a trashy aspect of his own game. He tamped down on this obvious issue right when he got to Miami.

They went 61-21 in 2009-2010. And they didn't care about the final 4 games of the season being loses because #1 in the East was clinched. You don't do that surrounded by trash.

Pimpwerx

Lebron's salary for his day job is 1/3rd of his total income in a year.

The NBA is fucked.

The NFL elite endorsement guys are nearly always QBs and that auto corrects any combination shaving a bit on salary to join a team.

MLB it is nearly irrelevant issue.

Even before this recent exacerbation of the problem that is exemplified by the Heat.

seeds.png

10 teams, 1/3rd of the NBA, for the past 30 years, is in the position of 'so your tellin' me there's a chance' with the consolation prize of being knocked the fuck out of the draft lottery.

Don't know how you could go about improving the situation. A franchise tag like in the NFL would do the trick but that usually would just reward a crap team that sucked extra hard to get a top pick player to begin with.
Competition won't be improved by changing the salary structure. Bad teams will continue to be bad teams. Before free agency, two franchises dominated the championships. Since then, we've seen San Antonio, Chicago and Miami rise to prominence. But this is as diverse as the league can get. Too many possessions with too few people on court. The best player and best team will usually prevail. If Miami gets Melo, it's still only a handful of years or so the dominance can continue. Then it'll be someone else's turn. PEACE.

BadAss2961

Ok sure if you want to take that from the statement fine he threw his teammates under the bus. But is this unprecedented? Something so offensive? We have seen coaches call out their stars, their teams, and other teammates call out their own team for not playing up to par.

This is where you lose any and all credibility. The same Cavs team plummeted to the bottom of the league the second Lebron left. So they were held together only by Lebron. Miami coasts in the regular season and still ends up the #1 or #2 seed. Those Cavs teams were on a mission because the other 4 weren't already champs, proven, or all stars.

But anytime a team just falls off the face of the earth it shows they stink. What does losing to the Magic prove anything? Just they weren't great to begin with?

If Miami lost Lebron tonight and the rest of the team remained the same, they would still be a good team. Cleveland didn't remain good. Now they are selecting #1 overall for the 3rd time since Leborn left.

You can't have it both ways. On the one side you argue that there should be no sympathy for Lebron currently because he has all stars and the best supporting cast but then you also try to claim he had a good team in Cleveland. No he didn't. He didn't have good coach, a good team, or a good FO. They have all proven to be terrible without Lebron there.
Most of the time a team loses one of the best players in the league, they're going to plummet. I guess Minnesota, Orlando, Utah, New Orleans, LA etc. are all terrible organizations.

I brought up Orlando because they were another team with just 1 star player that plummeted when he left, but took it to LeBron when they met in a series. The point is to stop blaming everyone else for LeBron's failures.

Me somehow losing all credibility for simply pointing out the fact that Cleveland had better seasons than Miami is laughable. It is what it is. Cleveland was not a bad team. They were a group of role players that complimented LeBron's game. Mo Williams even played well enough to make the all-star team.

Pimpwerx

Most of the time a team loses one of the best players in the league, they're going to plummet. I guess Minnesota, Orlando, Utah, New Orleans, LA etc. are all terrible organizations.

I brought up Orlando because they were another team with just 1 star player that plummeted when he left, but took it to LeBron when they met in a series. The point is to stop blaming everyone else for LeBron's failures.

Me somehow losing all credibility for simply pointing out the fact that Cleveland had better seasons than Miami is laughable. It is what it is. Cleveland was not a bad team. They were a group of role players that complimented LeBron's game. Mo Williams even played well enough to make the all-star team.
Where was Cleveland before LeBron? Exactly. It's a horribly run franchise who really only had the so-so Daugherty years before Bron got there. That was and always will be a bad team.

The team didn't plummet when LeBron left. They returned to what they always were. PEACE.

Where was Cleveland before LeBron? Exactly. It's a horribly run franchise who really only had the so-so Daugherty years before Bron got there. That was and always will be a bad team.

The team didn't plummet when LeBron left. They returned to what they always were. PEACE.

Lebron wishes he was as good as Mark Price.

Spurs should treat this game with a game 7 mentality. They win today and they basically win the series. I'm sure the Heat will play like its due or die tonight as well. Biggest implication game yet for both teams.

The Cavs are not an entity. It is only the sum of it's parts. You'd have to define every other team by only when they didn't have a top 10 all-time player.

The Cav's went from spending an acquiring as much they could around LeBron...

http://www.eskimo.com/~pbender/misc/salaries10.txt
$83,000,000 thr 5th highest payroll

to...

http://www.eskimo.com/~pbender/misc/salaries11.txt
$54,000,000 the 26th highest payroll

This is where you lose any and all credibility. The same Cavs team plummeted to the bottom of the league the second Lebron left

"the same Cavs team"?

a third of their damn 2009-10 rotation was gone before the season even started, another third was traded away for Baron Davis, and the last third was injured for a combined 77 games

effzee

Not if they have a better overall team. How good do the Spurs look even when they are resting a bunch of guys? Teams with multiple guys who can carry the load can still be relevant. You don't go from 1st to worst all of a sudden unless your entire team's success is 99% dependent on 1 player.

But ok if a team is as good as its superstar, then why sit by as THE superstar and leave your faith in the hands of a FO which for 7 years only proved that they got lucky to get the #1 pick? If a team is only as good as the best player and its not the fault of the FO for the rest of the team not being good enough to win, why not take matters into your hands? And when you take those matters into your hands and you realize no one is willing to come to your city, why stay?

You can basically argue your way against Lebron no matter what you discuss.

Fact of the matter the Cleveland team that made the finals was one of the weakest to make the finals all time and certainly since the 2001 Sixers.

Most every single NBA champ has had 2-3 superstars/all stars. Cleveland didn't. They were a bunch of role players who were looking good thanks to Lebron. No one is blaming them for Lebron's failures or whatever faults are in his game, but that doesn't mean he alone is to blame for not winning the championship. He had the weakest role players and those same role players all became garbage the minute he left. He elevated their game to whatever levels they reached but that was their ceiling. No great FA was coming to Cleveland to help Lebron and their FO certainly wasn't making the right trades or developing their own to compliment Lebron.

Point is Wade was Wade before Lebron. Bosh was proven. They will be proven after Lebron too. None of the guys on that Cleveland team start for any of the better teams now and they regressed to what they really were as soon as Lebron left.

So you want to fault Lebron when that Cavs team lost because according to you they were good with a good coach. Lebron's limitations held them back right? If it was Kobe or Jordan in his place they would have not only won that Finals but possibly 3peated?

You have this impossible standard against Lebron that he should have just taken that team to the finals and won it, and possibly 6 times to even come to Jordan, when in reality no other superstar has ever just won it alone. The great teams of all time each had 2,3, or even up-to 4 HOF players. Cleveland had Lebron and some nice role players who were garbage before Lebron and after Lebron. YET those losses are all on him because everyone else did their part right?

You lose credibility because your entire opinion thought process is based around you not liking Lebron and then finding reasons, any reasons, to justify it. You don't like him so contrary to all known facts and opinions on the matter, his Cleveland team wasn't that bad. This way you can blame him. You don't like him so he has too much help in Miami, its not fair, and you can't give him credit. You don't like him so the NBA, their refs, and even ESPN are all in together to help him win and to make him come across better than he is. Everyone is in on it. Even former players, guys from TNT, and of course Stern! They call him the best player to trick people!

You want him to be measured up against the likes of all time greats but then discredit him because he didn't do it all on his own like Jordan and Kobe apparently did. Well their way included great teammates and arguably the greatest coach of all time! But you don't want him to do that, you want him to go through a much harder road which almost guarantees him playing his whole career without winning a ring.

Honestly, guys, if this series goes 7 we almost know it is fixed. If someone doesn't win in 6 bleh. Will the NBA really skip out on all that money? Something tells me it's Joey Crawford time. It just seems like if the Spurs cannot put it down in 6 they don't deserve it.

OH YEAH Baby. Bring it on Joey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom