• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015-2016 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT| 2 can play the 1-and-done game

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm so embarrassed to be this relieved by a win over NC State.

The more I think about this past year, though, and my frustrations, the more I realize we're hanging in there despite a lot of unexpected events:

- Semi transfers (he would be much better than Obi is for us right now)
- Sheed gets kicked off the team
- Tyus goes pro earlier than expected
- Obi not as good as expected
- Jeter not ready yet
- Amile injure his foot

I'm hoping this is a turning point for this year's team, and we can build on it leading up to Amile coming back.

Jeter not being ready coupled with Amile's injury is a big one. DT and Luke also have some growing to do, not a lot of freshman are ready to do what those 3 did last year.
As far as Semi and Obi go, its a wash IMO. You had one player who left CUSA to go to Duke and one who left Duke to go to CUSA. I think Obi needs to play a little more, but all Semi did when he was on the court was shoot 3s. More telling is the teams that recruited him prior to him going to Duke, were not interested in him when he transferred. He just ain't that good.

Still, Amile's injury is the killer. Thats 10+ pts and 8+ rebounds, defensive awareness and leadership thats gone. Duke has nobody to replace that with. I know its hard in his position, but Tyus should have stayed one more year. He would have been the man on this team and would have gone higher in a really weak draft. K should have channeled his inner Huckleberry and tricked him into staying another season.

Fortunately, rivalry considerations won't allow Nike to outfit Duke in lighter shades of blue.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to be immune to other abominable schemes.

Servbot24

Banned
Iowa playing poorly but still only down 2 at half. Between Purdue and Maryland I suppose I'll be happy if we win one of those games. After that the schedule gets significantly easier the rest of the way. We do have Indiana twice, but it's hard to tell how good they are.

Edit: Uthoff is so good.

Servbot24

Banned
The officiating in this game is remarkable. Refusing us timeouts for no reason, calling everything on us, allowing Purdue to travel and literally shove us into the ground. Don't wanna say the fix is in, but I don't know how this can happen in D1.

Win anyways though. :)

DominoKid

ESPN should be ashamed at the quality of this ESPN3 stream of the carolina game. Shit is behind as fuck and its skipping like 5 secs at a time.

UNC pissing away a 20 pt lead aint helping my mood here.

HawkeyeIC

The officiating in this game is remarkable. Refusing us timeouts for no reason, calling everything on us, allowing Purdue to travel and literally shove us into the ground. Don't wanna say the fix is in, but I don't know how this can happen in D1.

Win anyways though. :)

You'd think ranked top 10 we could get some calls at home...

and yet it'll still be UNC or Kansas that wins it probably

in other news both kentucky and duke are out of the top 25. wonder when the last time that happened

Hasn't happened this time yet. Duke is 20 in the AP, 12 in the SIDs. A win this weekend might keep them in the rankings, depending on how everything else shakes out. Kentucky is 23 and 19, respectively, as well.

Duke #24 AP, #20 SID. The streak is intact. However, they play at Miami tonight (#15/#13), so it could end this week.

Kentucky also hung in at #20 and #19, respectively.

Miami chanting overrated when they're ranked higher than Duke? Ehh

Dickie V doing yeoman's work with the sell job tonight though. They're just not that good this year Richard

DominoKid

K barely playing 7 people 😂

damn i know the crew might be trash from 8 on but you gotta coach em up some. squad gonna be dead by postseason play.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

damn i know the crew might be trash from 8 on but you gotta coach em up some. squad gonna be dead by postseason play.

Gotta have fresh legs for that NIT run. UNC couldn't do it in 2010. UK couldn't do it in 2013. Duke's gonna do it in 2016.

Broank

I really wish Beilein would go with a 7 man rotation especially with Lavert and Spike out. Just play Dawkins and Wagner 20+ minutes a game because It's pretty much a minus 10 point swing every time he brings in the combination of Dakich, Chatman, Doyle and Wilson for those few minutes.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I really wish Beilein would go with a 7 man rotation especially with Lavert and Spike out. Just play Dawkins and Wagner 20+ minutes a game because It's pretty much a minus 10 point swing every time he brings in the combination of Dakich, Chatman, Doyle and Wilson for those few minutes.

Chatman definitely has no business being out there. He brings nothing to the table. We still need Ricky for his muscle from time to time. But having those two in at the same time really let Nebraska back into the last game.

I also want DJ to get as much experience as possible. He's still getting used to new positions. People seem to forget he was more of a 3 when we started recruiting him.

Proelite

Teams have won titles with 7 man rotations in the past.

I think UK 2012 did it.

Anyways, I think it's time for K to retire. His team's since 2010 has been so shitty on defense. He gets less done with more than any other coach not named Roy Williams.

Bowser

Miami chanting overrated when they're ranked higher than Duke? Ehh

Dickie V doing yeoman's work with the sell job tonight though. They're just not that good this year Richard

Well, they ain't lying, seeing as y'all ARE overrated at 24 in the poll ;p

Enjoy the Panthers success brother Grova.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Teams have won titles with 7 man rotations in the past.

I think UK 2012 did it.

We only had 8 last year, and Marshall and Grayson weren't exactly huge contributors in that group either.

Who had January 25th as the day someone said it was time for K to call it quits? Double bonus if you parlayed it with it not being Truly.

Nah, I'm not tripping over Duke right now. They're still the defending national champions for two and a half months damnit! I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts. Plus, pretty much the whole squad minus Spiderkid, White Flash, Marshall, and Amile (who apparently is Basketball Jesus so we might be in trouble again next year actually) comes back in 2016 with Giles and Tatum.

They'll be fine

Tyus Jones still gets no run for the Wolves. :/

Though he did a stint in the D-League a few weeks ago. 6 games, averaged 25 points because apparently everyone can get buckets in that league. So I can't even (completely) say he should have returned to Duke just to get some playing time (forgetting for the moment that dude is getting paid better where he is).

The move was made Tuesday, after Jones averaged 24.7 points, 3.9 rebounds, 5.0 assists, 1.5 steals and 35.2 minutes over six games for the Idaho Stampede. He shot 48.7 percent from the field, including 42.6 percent from 3-point range.

Fjordson

Jones is solid. In an ideal world he'd be getting run off the bench, but Sam Mitchell ain't exactly the brightest coach around.

thefro

It'd be nice if the NCAA actually would consistently call a hooking foul in the post the same way at home and on the road.

Oh yeah, fire Crean, hire Stevens. Back to the terrible in-game coaching now that we're in a close game again.

It'd be nice if the NCAA actually would consistently call a hooking foul in the post the same way at home and on the road.

Oh yeah, fire Crean, hire Stevens. Back to the terrible in-game coaching now that we're in a close game again.

The hooks by Happ were infuriating non calls.
IU never gets calls in Kohl.
It'd be more upsetting if Bo was there, dont have the animosity built up yet for Bo's assistant.

Crean needs a Final 4 appearance for me to consider bringing him back.
Maybe E8 if it's paired with a B1G title.

But year 8? Long since out of excuses despite the fact that this team has played the best Indiana ball since the 12-13' team.

Still, I thought IU played tough tonight, im more curious how they do at Michigan next week and then the first Iowa game to get a better gauge on IU's quality.

It'd be more upsetting if Bo was there, dont have the animosity built up yet for Bo's assistant.

But year 8? Long since out of excuses despite the fact that this team has played the best Indiana ball since the 12-13' team.

Still, I thought IU played tough tonight, im more curious how they do at Michigan next week and then the first Iowa game to get a better gauge on IU's quality.

Crean getting this team to the Final Four? Good luck with that. We aren't winning the Big Ten either. Just hoping we can maintain a Top 3-4 finish. Things are just going to get tougher moving forward.

If they are still at 1 conference loss heading into the first Iowa game, that would be a great positive sign imo. This is pretty much the exact time of year that Crean's teams go on a slide. Crean fatigue ftw.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Who does?

Crean getting this team to the Final Four? Good luck with that. We aren't winning the Big Ten either. Just hoping we can maintain a Top 3-4 finish. Things are just going to get tougher moving forward.

If they are still at 1 conference loss heading into the first Iowa game, that would be a great positive sign imo. This is pretty much the exact time of year that Crean's teams go on a slide. Crean fatigue ftw.

I'm not expecting F4 by any stretch, although there's no Duke/Wisconsin/Kentucky level team this year.

Feb/March is when IU slides under Crean but the Doyel article suggested that Crean has changed certain things that he's done for 16 yrs, not beating them up as much in practice and in warm ups (other than the court suicide runs for the turnovers, which im ok with)

My expectations are low though it'd be nice for Yogi to have a strong finish.
Brad Stevens or bust, if not Brad then Archie Miller or Gregg Marshall would be decent alternatives.

Kevtones

Oregon keeps on truckin' with their win over Arizona. Zona's 49 home winning game streak snapped... what a pity ;-)

If they had Ennis… Guess Jamal Murray made a mistake.

Oregon just notched their 10th Top 50 RPI win and will probably have close to the #1 SoS tomorrow.

Top Bottom