• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 mustang revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Most V6s in the the mustangs price range don't make 300hp. Which V6 that's in a Jag makes over 300hp NA? I could be wrong, but I don't think there is one.

He's talking about the supercharged 3.0L V6 which is a Jaguar motor...and not a Ford motor, so I have no idea why he thinks "Ford sells" it to Jaguar.

But to your point, the Hyundai Genesis' 3.8L V6 and Nissan's 370Z's V6 both make a lot more power than the Mustang's V6 (348 and 333 respectively)

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I like the straight belt-line on the convertible. It's there on the coupe, but the lack of top makes it a little easier to see. The interior is not sexy. I realize it's an American car, but shit... I've seen Pontiacs with less plastic.

tbm24

He's talking about the supercharged 3.0L V6 which is a Jaguar motor...and not a Ford motor, so I have no idea why he thinks "Ford sells" it to Jaguar.

But to your point, the Hyundai Genesis' 3.8L V6 and Nissan's 370Z's V6 both make a lot more power than the Mustang's V6 (348 and 333 respectively)
And both of those sound awful. I still stand by what I said, I don't see the point behind a mustang without a V8. Yes it's cheaper, but then it's not a mustang. It just looks like one. Mustang that doesn't have the V8 sounds just makes me sad, and I see them a lot in NY.

Viperbah

I thought so.... forgot about the Genesis(which is a 3.8 I think?)...370 is more on the GT's price range level though.

It's not earth shattering but 300hp is not that bad for a NA V6.

muddream

Banned

That's a modified Ford engine, just like Jaguar sources their diesels from PSA. Do you think Jaguar gets them for free?

I thought so.... forgot about the Genesis(which is a 3.8 I think?)...370 is more on the GT's price range level though.

It's not earth shattering but 300hp is not that bad for a NA V6.

It's pretty bad if you're working with 3.7 liters. Throwing piston displacement at a performance issue gets ridiculous at some stage.

AlphaSnake

And both of those sound awful. I still stand by what I said, I don't see the point behind a mustang without a V8. Yes it's cheaper, but then it's not a mustang. It just looks like one. Mustang that doesn't have the V8 sounds just makes me sad, and I see them a lot in NY.

Neither the Genesis or Z sound awful. Not sure what you're talking about. I love the sound of my Jag's 5.0...but the sound of a high-revving V6 is equally pleasing, especially modded like mine.

Abounder

Banned
Why exactly is that hilarious? Jaguar-Land Rover is backed by an extremely wealthy guy (Ratan Tata) and his company and their enormous wealth is being shared with JLR to produce by far the best cars on the road. Production remains in Britain. Budgets per car are astronomical. There is hardly a corner cut.

why is it hilarious?

If I had to guess it's because Britain used to rule over India during their empire days, and now one of Britain's flagship brands is owned by a wealthy Indian. Somewhat ironic

I get the V8 bias but Mustangs have always been about having options including smaller engines than a V8 from the very first generation to now. It's a pony car not a muscle car. But I agree V8's sound better...if you want a great sounding 6 cylinder it'll probably be an inline-6 instead of v6

AlphaSnake

That's a modified Ford engine, just like Jaguar sources their diesels from PSA. Do you think Jaguar gets them for free?

It's pretty bad if you're working with 3.7 liters. Throwing piston displacement at a performance issue gets ridiculous at some stage.

Err...it is NOT a modified Ford engine. You're thinking of the old X-Type and S-Type 3.0s which were piece of shit Duratec motors. That is 100% true.

The current AJ126 supercharged motor is a modified AJ133 series 3 motor (a Jaguar designed motor, NOT Ford), with two cylinders chopped and that's it. They are virtually identical engines the two of them. It is not a Duratec engine.

It's exactly what BMW did with the S85 and S65 motors.

muddream

Banned
Err...it is NOT a modified Ford engine. You're thinking of the old X-Type and S-Type 3.0s which were piece of shit Duratec motors. That is 100% true.

The current AJ126 supercharged motor is a modified AJ133 series 3 motor (a Jaguar designed motor, NOT Ford), with two cylinders chopped and that's it. They are virtually identical engines the two of them. It is not a Duratec engine.

It's exactly what BMW did with the S85 and S65 motors.

Welp, my bad. Guess Ford is stuck with shitty V6 engines after all..

KanyeEast

Banned
14-2014-aston-martin-vanquish-fd-opt.jpg

Kind of reminds me of an Aston Martin.

But did you know Ford was the owner of Aston Martin till a few years ago. So that makes sense.

Why does ford keep bringing the bubbly look to the mustang? That isn't why everyone like the Shelby design from a few years ago. That beast looked fierce. Now it looks like everything else.

Wait wait wait wait wait. What so bad about the interior? I've been in Mustangs from the GT to Boss to Shelby and I was never impressed with the interior. This new one however, I like quite a bit. I haven't sat in it yet, but it already looks much better.

I agree with the start button placement though. That's easily the dumbest decision they made.

AlphaSnake

But did you know Ford was the owner of Aston Martin till a few years ago. So that makes sense.

It's not about who owns who...I'm going to give you a simple breakdown.

Ian Callum penned the current design language of every Aston Martin you see on the road.
Ian Callum penned the current design language of every Jaguar you see on the road.
Ian Callum has a brother, Moray Callum, who is the head of design at Ford now.

The slight resemblances you may see aren't there because Ford owned AM and Jag, but because there is a familial connection between the two remaining.

AlphaSnake

The saddest thing about the Mustang's 3.7 V6 is that it can't be tuned. Dozens of people have destroyed their motors with ECU tunes...which is just sad.

And btw, this redesigned car is ugly. It's a step up from the outdated crap we've already had, but still mediocre.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Yeah, I've been in a Fusion which has the same shit. They manage to make aluminum look like plastic. Maybe I should have made the word "plasticy" to be a little more accurate. I'm still not impressed.

doesnt really hold weight if it really is aluminum

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Why exactly is that hilarious? Jaguar-Land Rover is backed by an extremely wealthy guy (Ratan Tata) and his company and their enormous wealth is being shared with JLR to produce by far the best cars on the road. Production remains in Britain. Budgets per car are astronomical. There is hardly a corner cut.

The sales spikes and demand for both Jaguar and Land Rover are in triple digit percentages for 2013...it's an unprecedented change (Range Rovers are sold out for 8 months all across the world). Reliability is superb. Dealership experience is exceptionally buttoned up no matter where you go.

I own a new Jaguar XF 5.0. Getting an F-Type R next May. Wife might get the new Range Rover Sport. My experience with Jaguar has eclipsed all of the German trash I've bought from BMW and Audi over the past decade.

strange i talk to british people and they arent all that high on jag, aston martin , and Land Rover yes but Jag, its like the plebeian brand to most brits i speak with about cars. I didnt get their thoughts on german cars though so maybe they dont think much about them either.

desertdroog

Here is a comparison of the Mustang = Fusion debate on a Ford forum regarding the Fusion like front end:

Notice the 2015 Mustang grill opening is the same basic design as the 1968 Shelby Mustang. So tell me agian how a 1968 Shelby copied a new Fusion, because that's what your saying every time you say the new Mustang looks like a Fusion. The Shelby for the last couple years have used this basic retro design way before the Fusion copied it.
The head light of the 2015 Mustang are a stretched version of of the current Mustang.
KCB85zZ.jpg

Put an egg crate grill on the Fusion and confuse everyone who sees it head on.

Comparison to the Aston Martin:
VOBkKbH.jpg

I personally hate the front end and the Aston Martin rear fenders are just too similar. I really liked the knife edge coke bottle shape it had in the 2014 model, and hoped that FoMoCo would have made it a bit more pronounced, as you can see from the direct rear shot, which is the only look I like on this car.

Not a fan of the redesign, I like the 70's iteration better:
HMQpYWg.jpg

I do, however, LIKE THIS VIEW ALOT (except for the lower valance and fascia guard section too tuner-like ground effects for my taste), as it reminds me of a 1968 Mustang Fastback (see the movie Bullit for reference) due to the side fenders acting as a foundation for the fastback roofline, it screams Musclecar!:
HKrLsKk.jpg

54ortYk.jpg

Here is one in black:
uGzfS66.jpg

Finally the original Concept:
oXdWMMl.jpg

I know they are going after the Global Market with this design, however it will take some time to grow on me, I just wish they would have kept the front end a bit more distinctive like the Mustang had from the mid-60's through the early 70's.

By the way the Aston Martin V12 engine is two Ford Duratech V6's molded together.

Family story time:

My mother bought a 19641/2 year Mustang convertible. It was her first car and had it before she met my dad and got married. My father is a USARMY Officer (ret.) and was stationed in Bad Hersfeld, Germany for a number of years. They blew up the engine of that car on the Autobahn and sold it to a German Doctor for around 10,000 USD in 1972.

My father then imported a 1971 Mach 1 Mustang fastback with the 351 Cleveland engine (same engine that powered the Pantera's) and a 4 speed toploader stick transmission. He said it didn't have the top end as some of the European exotics at the time, but every time they stopped somewhere a crowd would gather and ignore other cars in whatever parking area they were at (even if said exotics were there). Probably due to how rare it was to see at the time. After he was sent back to the US for his service rotation, they drove that 71 all over the U.S. including a spirited driving exhibition on the interstate to Las Vegas, where a state trooper took about 2 minutes to catch up to them after flipping his lights.

I still really want a 2014 5.0 Coyote powered Mustang, but due to the price of entry, I will fiddle with my other vintage car projects as a coupe doesn't make sense for a daily commute/grocery getting.

Good on Ford for trying to expand its brand to a global market, I just think they are losing the soul of what makes a Mustang a Mustang.

Mi dos centavos.

Why the complaints about the start/stop button positioning? Isn't that around where it is for most cars with push button ignition? Better than feeling for it where the key would have gone. That is just an artifact of mechanical steering locks and requiring them to be on the steering column itself.

This position is convenient. Go into reverse, push and drive away.

As for the rest of the interior of the car, it looks as busy as the interior of the Fiesta ST. I didn't really like that when I test drove it. Not a deal-breaker of course.

AlphaSnake

strange i talk to british people and they arent all that high on jag, aston martin , and Land Rover yes but Jag, its like the plebeian brand to most brits i speak with about cars. I didnt get their thoughts on german cars though so maybe they dont think much about them either.

The British automotive press is absolutely in tears at how wonderful the new Jags and LRs are. They've been raving on and on about how the brands have been born again. And it's true, in their current direction, JLR is going to be a huge force in no more than 5 years time.

Top Gear dedicated an entire segment about the rebirth of British engineering, even, in the most recent series.

Once they refreshed the XF, the XK, and introduced the all new XJ, Jaguar emerged from its shell and former past. And when the F-Type launched, it was like a phoenix rising from its ashes - easily the best car I've driven in all of 2013.

Man that mustang logo on the front and back make the car look cheap as fuck. They should have just put the word "FORD" instead like the F150 raptor

foxtrot3d

Banned
Describe something beautiful to a blind person and then try the opposite. It's offensive. It looks like a neon had an affair with a tiburon and they played dress up using spare parts from an old Porsche. The taillights are hysterical, the hips are out of place, and the entire build is leaning the wrong direction. Have you ever seen a mustang before?

And I don't even like mustangs. I just think they tried one too many ideas at once and fucked up a classic look they had going.

I agree.

muddream

Banned
The British automotive press is absolutely in tears at how wonderful the new Jags and LRs are. They've been raving on and on about how the brands have been born again. And it's true, in their current direction, JLR is going to be a huge force in no more than 5 years time.

Top Gear dedicated an entire segment about the rebirth of British engineering, even, in the most recent series.

Once they refreshed the XF, the XK, and introduced the all new XJ, Jaguar emerged from its shell and former past. And when the F-Type launched, it was like a phoenix rising from its ashes - easily the best car I've driven in all of 2013.

JLR could just as easily be on life support in 5 years time, it hinges on whether they can produce a viable 3-series competitor platform. You can't keep a volume car maker afloat with F-Types and XJs, no matter how great the reviews are :(

They don't quite reach BMW's engines or Audi/Mercedes interior, but it's nice to have an alternative to the Germans that isn't an embarrassing knockoff (Lexus) or likely to catch fire for no good reason (Alfa/Maserati).

ascii42

I really wish the new mustangs chopped about 6-12" off the hieght of the side profile. I know it needs to be tall to get the massive engines in there, but the slimmer design of the 60's mustangs really just looks a lot nicer to me.

Yeah, that's one of the advantages offered by pushrod engines like GM and Chrysler make. They aren't as tall as DOHC engines. Not that it stops the Camaro from being bulky, but it does allow the Corvette to have its shape.
JLR could just as easily be on life support in 5 years time, it hinges on whether they can produce a viable 3-series competitor platform. You can't keep a volume car maker afloat with F-Types and XJs, no matter how great the reviews are :(

They don't quite reach BMW's engines or Audi/Mercedes interior, but it's nice to have an alternative to the Germans that isn't an embarrassing knockoff (Lexus) or likely to catch fire for no good reason (Alfa/Maserati).

Well, there's also Cadillac, who makes good 3 and 5 series competitors. Hopefully at some point they will get off their butts and make a proper flagship sedan. It's been nearly 20 years since they've offered one. I'd love to get back in a Caddy some day, but I don't think their attempts at BMW clones are what I'm after.

Espresso

Banned
Why exactly is that hilarious? Jaguar-Land Rover is backed by an extremely wealthy guy (Ratan Tata) and his company and their enormous wealth is being shared with JLR to produce by far the best cars on the road.

Reliability is superb.

Say what? Jags and Rovers are the most unreliable automobiles on the road.

Amazingly, I just drove by one tonight. Is it even out yet?? It had no plates.

Stealth edit: Actually, I can't say with 100% certainty. But I am 90% sure, to clarify.

AlphaSnake

Jaguar has entry level pricing for the XF now in the US, offering it with a 4-banger turbo. Sales have skyrocketed as a result. So they have their $40K option, which squarely competes with what BMW asks for their rather lackluster 328i. And fyi: BMW engines are absolute trash. The most unreliable hunks of metal you can stuff into an engine bay and purchase this moment. Jag's current motors are bulletproof.

I had a 335i Coupe...terribly unreliable. My brother had an M6 (E62). A new M6 (F13). The E62 was very problematic. The new M6 also has some bullshit quirk already. I had a 2005 A6 4.2 (great motor, but unreliable past 60K). My wife had an A4 2.0T (in the dealer every other week for all sorts of drivetrain issues), then I got a 2012 A6 3.0T and it started to burn excessive amounts of oil, had a thermostat jam up and overheat the car as a result, among other random bullshit. My experience with German cars is hands-on...I will likely never own another German car again. Neither will anyone in my family. Audi's interiors are decent, but given way more credit than they deserve...the materials inside wear down very quickly (something that critics will never experience because they get the cars new and only for a few weeks at most).

Jaguar interiors, on the other hand, have very minimal plastics, there is leather every where you look, beautiful bits of wood, and other nice touches every where you look and feel. A modern day Jaguar interior is a work of sleek simplicity and functionality. Every other luxury car's interior is simply too gaudy and filled with tacky shit in comparison.

Say what? Jags and Rovers are the most unreliable automobiles on the road.

Land Rovers biggest problem is the people who own them. Every Land Rover dealer in the NY area and Florida area tells me the same thing...the women that drive them, treat them like shit and bring them in for things they're doing wrong or breaking. Jaguar on the other hand was ranked number 1 or 2 for 2008MY vehicles by JD Power.

jd-power-dependability-2011.jpg

The 2011 study reflects car that are 3MY old. So 2008 models. Also, you have to understand the study is pretty much splitting hairs.

Out of 100 cars, a Jaguar may have 1.1 problems over 36 months. Meanwhile a BMW may have 1.65. These problems can literally be ANYTHING. The way the studies are done measure dealer visit frequency...so if someone complains or doesn't know how to swap a wiper blade, that counts.

ascii42

Jaguar on the other hand was ranked number 1 or 2 for 2009MY vehicles by JD Power.

They were tied for number 1 with Buick that year.

I don't think you can put a lot of stock in JD Power rankings though. The issue is that it's based on number of problems, but problems aren't exactly all equal in severity. Like you said regarding Land Rover, sometimes the issue is the people that own them. If the owner can't figure out how to work the new-fangled touch screen audio system, that counts as a problem. Ford's problems with MyFordTouch have hurt them a lot in the rankings recently. I suppose a lower number is still generally better, though, unless the car only had one problem and that problem was that it exploded.

edit: I see you added a similar point.

J-Rzez

Looks great I think, especially because I think in person its going to look better as many cars do. What's more interesting is that its 5.0 is going to make more power all around, and that the car beat down The Boss model around a track "significantly". Remember, its looks are one thing, which is subjective. But the performance is easily measurable, and the chassis and suspension was massively redone with a speculated 200-plus pound diet. The Boss with its live axle embarrassed so many cars more advanced and expensive, let's see what this pony can do on a road course.

I like it. I had a '09 Mustang GT, loved it. Traded up for a '13 ZL1 Camaro, which I worship. Not sure I'm trading that in for the new Mustang, but it's tempting.

Missed this post. ZL-1 is a nice car, no doubt. The Camaro that wowed me with it's looks was the Flat White Pearl Z/28 at the past NYIAS. That color, wow.

That said, ordering my 2014 NYIAS tickets nao!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom