• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA Finals |OT| the deli is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonm1010

Banned
Dario Saric might be coming to the Sixer's next year

Embiid
Noel
Saric
Russell
Tony Wroten

That'll be a sick lineup for the next few years

Its funny how I stopped paying attention to the NBA when the Sixer's resided in mediocrity, but with the tank I'm back on the bandwagon
I still to this day get in arguments on the Pelicans board because from the moment it happened I hated how the Pelicans traded 2 firsts for Jrue Holliday.

The argument is always "what did the Sixers get??? Noel has been injured blah blah" What they got was the opportunity to grab several lottery picks and the Pelicans got players they can get any year they want if they give up picks. Why waste the narrow window of Davis's progression where we can still get high lottery picks for fucking Holliday and Asik???

Just imagine if the Pelicans had taken the road of patience and kept Noel, then ended up higher in the draft the next 2-3 seasons? We'd be the new Thunder.

Jarate

Banned
I still to this day get in arguments on the Pelicans board because from the moment it happened I hated how the Pelicans traded 2 firsts for Jrue Holliday.

The argument is always "what did the Sixers get??? Noel has been injured blah blah" What they got was the opportunity to grab several lottery picks and the Pelicans got players they can get any year they want if they give up picks. Why waste the narrow window of Davis's progression where we can still get high lottery picks for fucking Holliday and Asik???

Just imagine if the Pelicans had taken the road of patience and kept Noel, then ended up higher in the draft the next 2-3 seasons? We'd be the new Thunder.

That was honestly one of the worst trades I'd ever seen

Especially considering Jrue isnt even very good, giving up Jrue for the best player in the draft is silly, especially with how valuable Noel would be in comparison to Jrue
he should come to ny and join his friend melo
grinch-icon.png

The Knicks would still find a way to lose

Now if only Lebron would decide to become a one year rental player for every team in the East. He could win a championship for all the cities mired in mediocrity.

With that line up + Lebron, Sixers would be instant NBA finals contenders.

he should come to ny and join his friend melo
grinch-icon.png

Bread

Banned
We get 4 years on their rookie contracts and most of the players will have hit their peak by then. Nerlens is someone I could see getting traded if Embiid is as good as he looks. Plus with the new Salary bringing in loads of money, we should be able to retain the better players
Lmao when have players ever hit their peak during a rookie contract?

Jarate

Banned
Lmao when have players ever hit their peak during a rookie contract?

Most players generally hit their peak capabilities by the time they hit 23-25

Then the time period from 24-28 is usually when they play their best before falling steadily down as time goes on.

Most of the players will be 24 by the time of their rookie contract

they cant pay tristan thompson, love And mozgov.

No, they can definitely pay all three this upcoming year (Bird Rights for both Love and Thompson, team option for Mozgov) - they'll just get hit ridiculously hard by the tax apron.

At this point it's looking like Cleveland's team salary for 2015-16 is going to be slightly under that ridiculous amount the Nets were paying, except in this case everyone isn't over the hill.

Godslay

Banned
You may just be right, you have some expert experience with the Broncos so I imagine the eye for it is there.

Everyone is a fraud who doesn't win it.

At least the Broncos had numerous key injuries the year the lost the Superbowl, and Peyton was injured last year when his production fell off. Yet, they lost so they were indeed fraudulent.

What's GSW excuse so far? Do they have one to fall back on? I see Green is leaking that his back is injured.

Too bad the trade was terrible. The Cavs didn't need Love at all this year. They would have made the playoffs without Love and in the playoffs he hasn't helped them at all. And most likely he will be gone in the off season. It was a bad trade for Cleveland when it was announced and looks like one of the all time worst trades with how things have played out so far. The trade can't be justified right now and if the Cavs don't win and Love walks, oh boy what a disaster.

The Cavs would have been better off trading for Melo or something.

This is revisionist history, and it's not entirely true. They are trying to win championships, not just make the playoffs. Half the teams make the playoffs in both conferences, it's not a difficult accomplishment.

As for Love, not only has he repeatedly said he wants to stay, but he has a player option, so it's his decision. The reason why it looks bad on the surface is because the Cavs have made it to the Finals without him (and Kyrie), but they are playing a brand of basketball that can only be played in short bursts, i.e. a single confined series. They would not be able to play this way for 82 games. They need Love to provide a legitimate, every possession threat that defenses have to take seriously.

Additionally, as already mentioned, LeBron is on the wrong side of 30 and he came back to win championships now, not in three to five years when Wiggins will be ready. And Wiggins plays the same style of basketball as LeBron, so he wouldn't get enough touches and arguably wouldn't have developed to the same level that he has in Minnesota.

they cant pay tristan thompson, love And mozgov. Not only that they wont. Love is gonna be the odd man out. dont need a crystal ball to see that.

They can pay them all, but will have to go over the cap to do it. Considering that LeBron was handed back in Dan Gilbert's lap, he and David Griffin should be smart enough to make it work.

This is revisionist history, and it's not entirely true. They are trying to win championships, not just make the playoffs. Half the teams make the playoffs in both conferences, it's not a difficult accomplishment.

That and it's pretending Cleveland's full starting lineup (as in Mozgov-Love-James-a Knick-Irving) wasn't absolutely destroying everything in its path in that second half of the season.

The only reason you don't re-sign Love is if you think he's going to keep getting his shoulder dislocated 86 games in (because all statistics from that half of the season indicated Cleveland would've started this postseason 12-0 otherwise).

jman2050

The fact that the Cavs might shockingly win the championship despite everything is masking the fact that they got utterly screwed by Love's fluke injury.

A full strength Cavs lineup would absolutely have hung with GSW even with Love's defensive issues.

charsace

As for Love, not only has he repeatedly said he wants to stay, but he has a player option, so it's his decision. The reason why it looks bad on the surface is because the Cavs have made it to the Finals without him (and Kyrie), but they are playing a brand of basketball that can only be played in short bursts, i.e. a single confined series. They would not be able to play this way for 82 games. They need Love to provide a legitimate, every possession threat that defenses have to take seriously.

Additionally, as already mentioned, LeBron is on the wrong side of 30 and he came back to win championships now, not in three to five years when Wiggins will be ready. And Wiggins plays the same style of basketball as LeBron, so he wouldn't get enough touches and arguably wouldn't have developed to the same level that he has in Minnesota.

They can pay them all, but will have to go over the cap to do it. Considering that LeBron was handed back in Dan Gilbert's lap, he and David Griffin should be smart enough to make it work.
This isn't revisionist history because when the trade was announced I thought it was terrible and there are other people that thought it was terrible because they traded the first pick in a strong draft and the previous year's first pick for a guy they could have signed in the off season.

This isn't revisionist history because when the trade was announced I thought it was terrible and there are other people that thought it was terrible because they traded the first pick in a strong draft and the previous year's first pick for a guy they could have signed in the off season.

Except for reasons already stated by three posters, including the one being (correctly) accused of revising history, they really couldn't have done that.

(Namely because they'd already be over the cap and they wouldn't have his Bird rights without having traded for him during his last contract.)

Jonm1010

Banned
That was honestly one of the worst trades I'd ever seen

Especially considering Jrue isnt even very good, giving up Jrue for the best player in the draft is silly, especially with how valuable Noel would be in comparison to Jrue

The Knicks would still find a way to lose

Well I disagree that Jrue isn't any good. He is an above average PG when healthy that is the age of Damian Lillard and has room to grow and the size and dedication to be a defensive force, but you don't give up two potential top 5 picks for the type of above average player that can be had any year.

As I have been saying we could of kept Noel, likely gotten in the Wiggins, Parker, Embiid sweepstakes last year had we not chased "win now" and then likely ended up top ten this year. Plus had cap space to sign a max guy and the assets to trade for a Ty Lawson.

Demps(our GM) really fucked us with his early moves in the AD era.

Kieli

24 is usually athletic prime.

28/29 is around prime-prime where basketball skills is enough to compensate (or overcompensate) for declining athleticism.

Then the slow descent.

Edit: numbers out of my ass

The_R3medy_

Neo Member
24 is usually athletic prime.

28/29 is around prime-prime where basketball skills is enough to compensate (or overcompensate) for declining athleticism.

Then the slow descent.

Edit: numbers out of my ass

Unless you're Tim Duncan, in which case the decline only really starts at like 37. Dude is still playing out of his mind and nearly won that series against the Clips.

Omega

Banned
LeBron James at 30 is way better than LeBron at 24 so that has to just be about athleticism

You put this 30 year old LeBron on the 2007 Cavs and that becomes a series. You put 2004 LeBron on the GSW and Bam Bam Baklava isn't grasping at straws and Champagne is on the brink of suicide.

Jarate

Banned
LeBron James at 30 is way better than LeBron at 24.

You put this 30 year old LeBron on the 2007 Cavs and that becomes a series. You put 2004 LeBron on the GSW and Bam Bam Baklava isn't grasping at straws and Champagne is on the brink of suicide.
Lebron is an outlier not the standard

Generally the awesome superstars like Lebron and Duncan are going to last a long time in the league

But those players only come once in a very long time.

And even then, Lebron was way more atheltic back then and carried way worse Cavs teams to ludicrous records and finals appearances

Omega

Banned
If the Cavs win it, will we say that the entire league shit the bed this year?

I feel like the 02 Kings would have swept everyone in these playoffs.

If we're getting ready to start discrediting people then no championship means anything because 96 Bulls win the title in any year.

I honestly don't understand the sports fans mindset of always looking to downplay achievements. 02 Kings lose by the way, because they'll choke like they always did.

rambis

Banned
If the Cavs win it, are they better than the 96 Bulls and the best in perpetuity throughout the known universe?
I know this is probably sarcasm but I think this accomplishment would dwarf most other ones looking back at the history of the league. Should they pull it off that is. It would certainly place the stamp on Lebrons career.

Think about it guys, this very next game decides the fate of the NBA for decades to come.

Will this be the biggest choke job in Finals history? Will this Cavs team go down as, one of, if not the best ever? Will Lebron finally surpass Micheal and Magic combined? Is Curry going to go down as the biggest pretender in NBA history? Will Bam Bam lose his prediction if the Cavs win or will he lose his betting money if the Warriors win? What if the Warriors make it rain harder than the acid rain which I presume showers the city of Cleveland from time to time?

It all comes to fruition in a single game. Game 4.

All i know is if the Cavs do win, it proves that having Lebron can turn an average team into gold. Hell, he could've taken the Raptors to the finals.

That being said though, I'm sure he never wants this kind of finals ever again. His body must be hating him right now.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Think about it guys, this very next game decides the fate of the NBA for decades to come.

Will this be the biggest choke job in Finals history? Will this Cavs team go down as, one of, if not the best ever? Will Lebron finally surpass Micheal and Magic combined? Is Curry going to go down as the biggest pretender in NBA history? Will Bam Bam lose his prediction if the Cavs win or will he lose his betting money if the Warriors win? What if the Warriors make it rain harder than the acid rain which I presume showers the city of Cleveland from time to time?

It all comes to fruition in a single game. Game 4.

No team has ever had their number 2 & 3 guys go down with season ending injuries and win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom