• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA Finals |OT| the deli is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
A story about how ridiculous the travel/scheduling is for a human body.
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2015/story/_/id/13071387/lebron-james-unfathomable-workload

"It's unfathomable to go across the country from Cleveland to San Francisco -- at the very least a five-hour flight -- and then play 50 minutes in a game the next day," Young says. "You don't see that in any other sport. The travel stress alone can be debilitating.

And the science makes it clear: The NBA's program of bunching so many games so closely together combines with coaches' go-hard mentality to create a potent cocktail of injury risk.

"I can't think of another scenario quite like this where the turnaround times are so fast and there's so much travel," Young says. "It really is pretty crazy."

Science is uncovering fascinating lessons about fatigue. For example, rugby players exhibited faster recovery times after wins compared to losses. And sleep deprivation can cause humans to be effectively drunk after a snooze-less night. The more you play, the more your injury risk skyrockets.

In one study, European soccer players that played more than one match a week reported a higher injury rate than those who did not.

And flying is a problem. In the Premier League, players are never required to take flights longer than an hour. Studies show that long-distance travel that expands across time zones can have serious effects on muscle recovery.

I know you'll just shit all over the story because it deals with Lebron, but it's worth the short read.

Rare pic of the GOAT 'bout to cross up some bald guy.

ARbSohF.jpg
Scottie and Bruce Bowen would easily swipe that ball. Deli/Bron lucky KahwI is not in the finals

zychi

Banned
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2015/story/_/id/13071387/lebron-james-unfathomable-workload

I know you'll just shit all over the story because it deals with Lebron, but it's worth the short read.
Hockey seems to handle it fine in a more cardio and physically demanding sport.

The old nba players seemed to handle it fine.

Nfl players seem to handle it fine with short weeks in a more physical sport.

Yet, nba players are the only ones out of this bunch with guaranteed contracts.

Lebron is on another level by himself as an nba player. Hes basically been playing basketball for 4 years straight with a few months break last summer, and his 2 week hgh break this year(not his fault the nba doesnt test yet).

I still cant stand the person, but man do i resepect the player and devotion to the game

Champagne

Banned

Lebron is on another level by himself as an nba player. Hes basically been playing basketball for 4 years straight with a few months break last summer, and his 2 week hgh break this year(not his fault the nba doesnt test yet).

I still cant stand the person, but man do i resepect the player and devotion to the game
yeah fuck science amirite

Champagne

Banned
Bethesda's conference is happening during/near the end of the game. Fuck.
never quite understood this mentality

watching sports after the fact takes away from so much of the experience

watching the fallout 4 demo afterwards on youtube is literally the exact same thing, and if anything you can just skip through the dumb pr speak and onto the gameplay and save time from your life

never quite understood this mentality

watching sports after the fact takes away from so much of the experience

watching the fallout 4 demo afterwards on youtube is literally the exact same thing, and if anything you can just skip through the dumb pr speak and onto the gameplay and save time from your life

oh i'm not skipping the basketball game. I just wish the two things were's happening at the same time.

Abounder

Banned

Phil Jackson has defended the eastern conference vs west record because of that insane travel. The Spurs and other ballclubs also use those soccer studies and try to rest their players accordingly. Kerr's minutes management should pay off big time.

One thing that confused the hell out of me about this Finals series is why there was a 2 day break in between games 1 and 2 in Oakland, yet only a one day turnaround for game 3 in Cleveland.

Yea that's one hell of a home court advantage

Jonm1010

Banned

I think there absolutely needs to be stuff done about this.

Silver isn't going to budge on the whole 82 games thing because of money reasons but I am all for expanding the season a month or so and completely eliminating back 2 backs and 4 games in 5 days bullshit. That and scheduling so teams get adequate rest when they fly across the country. No reason a team like Miami should have to fly to San Francisco and then play Golden State less then 24 hours after they arrive.

The names were odd but I think it was an author on Grantland that also proposed a revised conference breakdown that placed regional teams near each other and one of the consequences would of been less travel time. Along with a much better Playoff seeding.

Omega

Banned
it was all a dream for my Cavs with these injuries anyway. LBJ trying to pretend like the corpse of Sean Marion and Mike Miller can be difference makers just reinforced the reality to me. They're trying hard, but without JR Smith being a scoring threat, we can't win. It goes from "doubtful" to "impossible".

In retrospect I'm not sure how we won any games with only 1 consistent scoring threat.

lol LeBron really is in a win-win situation

So I don't have to read a forum full of excuses when they get their asses stomped on in Game 1 and 2.

This was you not too long ago.

Jonm1010

Banned
lol LeBron really is in a win-win situation

This was you not too long ago.

I mean yeah, he is. I'm slightly puling for the Warriors because Gentry is my new head coach and want to see him prove he can scheme on this type of stage but Lebron really shouldn't be knocked if he can't pull this off. Much like the last Cavs team he took to the finals, he is the sole reason they even sniffed how far they got into the playoffs. But 3 on 6 really isn't going to be a sustainable formula for 7 games. Especially when he 6 other guys play just as god defense as you are.

watershed

Banned

Travel time and lack of rest has been much discussed in the NFL lately. The issue is not exclusive to the NBA. Many players talked about shortened rest and compacted schedules during the whole "games on Thursdays!" thing and during Thanksgiving week. I think its a pretty well established fact that you increase fatigue and risk of injury and decrease the body's ability to recover from one game to the next with increased travel and compacted time between games.

it was all a dream for my Cavs with these injuries anyway. LBJ trying to pretend like the corpse of Sean Marion and Mike Miller can be difference makers just reinforced the reality to me. They're trying hard, but without JR Smith being a scoring threat, we can't win. It goes from "doubtful" to "impossible".

In retrospect I'm not sure how we won any games with only 1 consistent scoring threat.
Series is tied and I'm already seeing this.

zychi

Banned
Travel time and lack of rest has been much discussed in the NFL lately. The issue is not exclusive to the NBA. Many players talked about shortened rest and compacted schedules during the whole "games on Thursdays!" thing and during Thanksgiving week. I think its a pretty well established fact that you increase fatigue and risk of injury and decrease the body's ability to recover from one game to the next with increased travel and compacted time between games.
The difference is you dont see every nfl player crying about fouls and injuries. They have nothing to stand on when they fake injuries and cry to the refs every play. If players and coaches really were bothered by it, theyd do what Pop does and sit players in a meaningless regular season game. Especially when you dont have to be .500 to make it into the playoffs these days

Gonna go to the bar nearby to watch this with my bud. It'll be good to chow down on tater tots and burgers while watching this
and probably leaving after halftime like we did for Game 4

watershed

Banned
The difference is you dont see every nfl player crying about fouls and injuries. They have nothing to stand on when they fake injuries and cry to the refs every play. If players and coaches really were bothered by it, theyd do what Pop does and sit players in a meaningless regular season game. Especially when you dont have to be .500 to make it into the playoffs these days

Wait, are we talking about faking and flopping now? That's an entirely separate issue than fatigue related to scheduling and travel time. Just because the NBA has a faking/flopping issue, which it does, doesn't mean compacted game schedules and travel time are not serious issues, because they are.

Omega

Banned
I mean yeah, he is. I'm slightly puling for the Warriors because Gentry is my new head coach and want to see him prove he can scheme on this type of stage but Lebron really shouldn't be knocked if he can't pull this off. Much like the last Cavs team he took to the finals, he is the sole reason they even sniffed how far they got into the playoffs. But 3 on 6 really isn't going to be a sustainable formula for 7 games. Especially when he 6 other guys play just as god defense as you are.

nah fuck that.

Sports fans are clowns. Go from saying a team is gonna get stomped on their homecourt twice (when they only lost like 2 games there total this season) to "oh its ok LeBron has no help! i knew we would lose anyway!"

He basically predicted a sweep, now the team isn't good enough? fuck outta here. DV isn't the only one to say nonsense like that either

We went from asses being stomped to not sure how they even won. And the series isn't even over yet!

zychi

Banned
Wait, are we talking about faking and flopping now? That's an entirely separate issue than fatigue related to scheduling and travel time. Just because the NBA has a faking/flopping issue, which it does, doesn't mean compacted game schedules and travel time are not serious issues, because they are.
Wasted energy on faking and flopping turns the players into the boy who cried wolf.

You cant complain about the schedule and injuries if you're constantly throwing yourself on the ground and pretending to be injured and every team has a private jet that has plenty of room for the players. Theyre not flying coach and being bused around like a minor league baseball team.

Derrick Rose hasnt played consistently in 3 years, yet he's constantly injured, it has nothing to do with the schedule. Fix the game itself.

Jonm1010

Banned
nah fuck that.

Sports fans are clowns. Go from saying a team is gonna get stomped on their homecourt twice (when they only lost like 2 games there total this season) to "oh its ok LeBron has no help! i knew we would lose anyway!"

He basically predicted a sweep, now the team isn't good enough? fuck outta here. DV isn't the only one to say nonsense like that either

I could give fuck all for why others are saying anything, Im just personally saying that to me it is ridiculous to hold this series against Lebrons legacy in a negative light. Because it completely ignores that few stars in history would of even been able to carry this team to the finals. Let alone make it a series. That to me is the bigger story.

Its almost like because Lebron - against almost universal expectations to the contrary - snuck 2 games in on a historically great Warriors team at near full health that people are now piling on ridiculous new expectations. And Im just like, anyone except Cleveland fans (that were called crazy mind you) were expecting the series to be like 3-1 right now and now all of the sudden Lebron is a chump again because he may not be able to carry them to victory when basically no one outside Cleveland thought he would even win more then 1 game.

But I already hashed this shit out a page or so ago and don't want to muddy this thread up again.

Champagne

Banned
If we get another GS blowout tonight he should probably just whip it out. He'd have earned it
He'd have earned it because his stacked, healthy team would prove for just the second time that it's capable of beating up on an injured team with a 4 player rotation?

LOL

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Does Curry remind anyone else of AI?

He reminds me of a much much better Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf. That guy had the same kind of range and ice blood in his veins but his basketball iq is not as high. Also curry is a bigger player and has better handle.

Steve Nash and mark price are the others he reminds me of.

Warriors are -9 favorites for this game. Just to put that into perspective that's like 96 Bulls vs Sonics or Lakers vs Sixers kind of odds. To put that into further perspective, the max I've personally seen for a playoff game was -10. Though I don't look at that stuff a lot.

Basically, it's a historical mismatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom